Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

You'd almost start to think that this is their objective. Imagine what a fantastic cycling destination the Wicklow/ Dublin mountains could be with a half decent road surface. Anyway, pipe dream stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

on the Blessington lakes loop if you're descending the hill going past Cullen's bar towards the lake heading west be very careful, loads of fresh chippings on the bend at the bottom of the descent.

if your heading east about a 1km after Cullens bar there is chippings after one of the decents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Good article about Wicklow Co Co ruining the roads for cyclists in last Saturday's Irish Times. Ian O'Riordan does a fair bit of hill cycling as well as running and knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Meath CoCo getting in on the loose chippings act too. Felt like 75% of the road from Tara cross to Rathfeigh NS, then on to the back of Tayto Park was recently done. Stop/Go lollipops in a few spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yeah lot of roads about the place done by Meath.

That Tara to rathfeidh Rd.

Balrath towards duleek for couple km.

Slane Donore down that bit of a hill before the carpark at Ros na RI.

Little tiny Rd over past Eureka trailers.

Road up on top of rathbran. Say headed for the rock from the n2.

Few more about hard to remember them all ....

The busier ones as fine. The quiet ones be dodgy firba while.

Also the geniuses have fired grit on the road at a few junctions. I'm assuming they are places the tar melted last year. But for now it's just shovels of grit sitting on the road. Swans Skryne. Rathfeidh school. Mill cross rathfeidh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Last year Wicklow County Council had the gritters out when the tar was melting (obviously a non-salt mix). In the office today, so no idea were they back out today but I'd imagine so. Killiskey/ Easy Devils was particularly bad last year for melting tar and then fine loose topping.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Any update on the road conditions around Wicklow at the moment? Ian O'Riordan in the article reckoned it would be a month or so for the works to be complete, and it was published on 9th July.

I was hoping to get out there in the next few days, but there is no point if it is dangerous or just too difficult to cycle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Its grand now, not ideal but passable, some loose stones but nothing like it was a few weeks ago. Just make sure your tires are in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Road over the back of Downs Hill / Calary (from the Sugar Loaf to the top of Altidore) has been chipped.

In better news the road from Greystones up to towards Belmont has been properly resurfaced and is a dream to cycle on (they'll probably be back to chip it in a few months, that seems to be their current M.O.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Sally gap to Laragh road was closed last Friday when I was up but I'm assuming it's opened again since. The road up from Manor Kilbride side and down to Glencree was basically fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the updates. I don't really know the area, so I'll have to check the route and plan accordingly. Safe cycles everyone, see you on the road. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

They were busy destroying Callow Hill today. That surface was far too good and too pleasurable to cycle on to be left like that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I was up there last weekend - yes, the chip and tarred what was the lovely smooth base layer. Saturday morning it was no issue anyway, well bedded in.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I came across that and promptly turned around. It was my favoured easy hill up to Roundwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I cycled a few mountain passes in Italy last month - roads up to 2,800m elevation were basically perfect, even those that get less motor traffic. Then you come back to the bone rattlers here...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A clubmate sent these photos of shores in Co. Wexford which are apparently not uncommon like this (and thankfully didn't catch him)...

Wexford Co Co notified but you know yourself how long it will take...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

They have them in Cork too. I went down in one a few years back. Wrote to the council and it took about 6 months but was replaced with a safer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

The contraflow cycle lane in Blackrock, Co Dublin. Imagine this at night with oncoming traffic. I took this a week ago and then forgot about it. I sent it to DLRCC this morning asking them to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Bloody cyclists, you install bike stands for them and they're still not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is that round the corner from the Europa site with the steady flow of construction trucks and NI-reg builders cars with parking tickets that they'll never have to pay?

• Advertisement

I forgot to report back on the road condition around Roundwood / Sally Gap / Military Road after my ride last weekend.

I don't know the names of all the roads, but Military Road was the only one that had been loosley gritted in a couple of sections. However, as previously reported by others the grit was small grit rather than the more dangerous larger grit, so the road surace was fine really. Care is needed when cornering, particularly on descents, due to the loose grit but other than that the surface was fine, and the route was fantastic.

The surface between Clara Lara and Laragh / Glendalough car park was really rough in places, but this was not due to works, it's just a bad surface.

Loose gravel, potholes, flooding and ice feature here regularly enough but tree branches not too often. On a club spin yesterday heading towards Stamullen, we came across a stretch of country road with quite an amount of tree "debris" on it. One rider was unlucky enough for this to happen

and came down badly. Another, following behind, hit his bike and also fell badly with both ending up in ambulances and A&E departments. Subsequently we heard than another cyclist had crashed in the same spot on Sunday and that the cause of the debris was a farmer bringing in large bales of straw that had hit off the overhead trees.

Be careful out there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any word on how they are?

which road was it?

One has a number of fractured vertebrae and the other was discharged with bruises and road rash. It happened on the L1085 between Stamullen and the Naul to Balbriggan road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Christ. And bet nothing happens to the event who caused the debris.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i actually cycled that road a few hours ago, thankfully didn't spot any debris. not southbound, anyway.

signs as i was coming into ballyboughal about a closure of the R129 starting monday, for resurfacing works. hopefully it's the section between ballyboughal and blake's cross, which (especially at the eastern end) is like a CX course in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Cruagh but especially Stocking lane are covered in crap after the rain from the last few days, stones, twigs and branches of trees, random bits of gravel at driveways. Was bad enough going up it picking a line, but coming down was horrific.

i was out in the car and some of the back roads around north county dublin are in a similar state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ah did a NCD spin mainly back roads. Plenty leaves and twigs but nothing serious.

Glad I did the spin today, not yesterday

Advertisement