Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost cutting tips. So with the spiraling cost of food and electricity I thought this would be good.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

I was gifted one of these Amane shower heads- uses less water/electricity. You can cut the water temporarily on the shower head too(not recommended to have this function for electric shower) . I tested the water flow to fill a mug of water with old shower head vs new one -it cut water use by almost half so it does seem to work.

…find there’s more hot water left in the immersion after a shower 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks good, do you use it with a pumped electric shower? Is there any blockages in the shower head from limescale over time, if so can they be easily cleaned?

Harvey Norman have them...

That’s where it was bought. It has an inner filter (prevents perforations clogging) which can be rinsed/replaced. Perforated plate easily cleaned also. No major water issues here. No blockages in shower head after 6months use. Currently Shower is running directly off immersion & water pressure but would work fine pumped also.

If using electric/power shower don’t buy the one with shut-off function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I might get one, looks like great flow from it.

Its not going to hit ya like a power shower (blasting water at you) , but all the same I find it decent enough. If you have any of those One4All vouchers lying around that hasn’t been used you could cash in for one in H Norman - some stores have a working model so you can see it in action .

My next tip is …. ditch your alarm monitoring company & install your own alarm kit. Get notifications via your phone/s . You can set up cameras for verification etc. Saves (€35 x 12) = €420 per year. (Minus initial equipment costs of course).

Post edited by Fishdoodle on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Will it work with triton t90?

we changed the standard head to the one with the beads in them, now the water seems hotter so you can use the power setting 1 instead of 2

👍 I’m not super familiar with the heads with beads …I’ve seen ones where it’s supposed to remove chlorine etc. Yours seems intriguing 🤔

The amane would work with your triton, the cheaper one without the cut-off function. 👍

• Advertisement

This is the sort of thing, I got from Amazon for 20 quid I think, they have tap connectors as well know I seen at the horse show

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Convert your petrol car to LPG if there is a station nearby where you can fill up. I had this done about 5 years ago, paid for itself within the first year as the conversion cost 950 to do but after that can fill up for about 84c-1.10 per litre. You'll burn slightly more litres of LPG but still works out a good bit cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

In case of power shut off or cant afford leccy then get a cheap gas camper stove and have 2-3 meals that can be used. Noodles, savory oats or instant mash are easy reliables add a stock cube plus a can of protein lentils, sausages and youe done.

The smaller the space the easier it is to heat thats why in olden days there was 4 poster beds surrounded by curtains.

Forget reusing toilet paper get a bidet attachment instead and keep a bog roll for visitors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Bidet-Toilet-Sprayer-Silver/dp/B0979DXVQH/ref=asc_df_B0979DXVQH/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=536099794691&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16289908652818987185&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007864&hvtargid=pla-1434256409016&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

Another one i forgot about is if you dont have a slow cooker look into wonderbags can make your own version basically any box fill it with olds duvet or pillows . Bring to boil what ever meal your cooking wrap it in cotton as synthetic melts and place into box surround pot with pillows and weigh down to prevent loss of steam. If doing an online shop see if any of the neighbours shop in same place and spilt the delivery cost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I scoffed at your post first, because it sounded so ridiculous. Then I looked up the wonderbag. I can see how it could prove useful for a camping trip or the likes, but still seems erm, strange, to me to use in a domestic setting, whilst a cardboard box stuffed with a duvet is just plain ludicrous. Who does this, really??

Interesting concept and I looked into this years ago for an older diesel. With the lack of large 7 seater cars in electric it might be wrothwhile

Has LPG gone up much with war?

Edit: Looked into it and petrol only, doesn't work or not recommended with diesel

Post edited by brokenangel on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I had lots of strange looks from neighbours, now they are coming up to me in droves, asking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Springwools... by post.. Always have reasonable offers.. An excellent family firm.As they know I knit only for fund rasiing they send many of us in that work boxes of delightful oddments.

I know, Jan 2020 I got mine in because I ordered before they reduced the grant. Everyone said I was mad, wouldn't pay off...."sun in Ireland" hahahahah

Now, happy days and I have everyone asking for advice to get installed

I do think if the government is going to give everyone 200 quid every few months they should also look at giving the same amount in solar panels and install in houses around Ireland, don't care how they pick them but needs to be done. Even if the houses are just panels the electricity will help in the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

*If you have a freezer that's sitting in a heated utility room move it out to an unheated shed. It will use a lot less power in cold surroundings

A lot of fridges & freezers have defined room operating temperatures by manufacturer - going outside those can cause them to stop working.

Do not put a fridge or fridge/freezer in a cold room. It can cause your freezer to defrost, as fridge gets too cold to need any further cooling which switches compressor off. The freezer may well still need cooling, but cant turn the compressor on as its shared. Result is freezer gets too warm and starts to defrost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

True, but some are specifcially designed for use in cold areas like garages and outhouses if you look carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

Reduce interest payments on any debt Understand what your most expensive credit is, and minimise these where possible. Sometimes that might mean turning an expensive debt into a cheaper one.

1) Credit cards. Never just pay the "minimum", always clear it. If you can't clear it, get a small credit union loan for it. You'll pay much less in interest on the credit union loan than on the credit card loan

2) Other loans like personal / car / pcp etc

3) move your mortgage to a cheaper one.

Review Subscriptions and direct debits

If you have TV subscriptions (netflix, disney, amazon etc) or games subs, see where you can reduce.

Can you reduce your mobile phone plan or internet bill plan.

Newspaper or other subs.

Clubs or gym memberships - do you use them or is there a cheaper alternative

Look over your bank accounts and check for any direct debits.

Make full use of any benefits you have

Check your employee benefits, some have discount schemes with shops or on company products, refunds on gym memberships, discounted tickets for events or cinema.

Use the library instead of buying books. It's a great service, and many have services available now where you can even swipe in out of hours if the times don't suit you. With library membership there is borrowbox available for those who use electronic readers etc.

Share resources with community

There are loads of ways to swap clothes, books, toys/baby equipment if you engage with local community

There are also community allotments available in some areas for growing

One thing, mobile phone contracts

If you work it out the brand new flashy iPhone is probably costing you close to 1k over the contract term while going out and buying the phone with a SIM only plan gives you the exact same benefits only a lot cheaper.

Free cycle groups are all over facebook, if you have stuff that no longer required, don't store it up, give it to other people.

Library is excellent idea and especially to keep kids amused, our kids love the weekly trip to the library to pick up books.

One thing, I have solar panels which gave a huge jump in the BER rating. With the jump in BER rating I was then in the bracket for a "Green" mortgage. It's a bit of a long winded saving but I am saving on electricity and also saving on my mortgage now. So in fact if you look at the saving on the mortgage the PV are paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

If using the dish washer, adjust the program if you can, I find on my one the 1hr 15min cycle is just fine cleans well and uses about 800/1kWh over the cycle. I'm planning not to use dishwasher at all over winter, will just use hotwater if available from heating at time, thinking of getting a flask to store kettle water over day so if any left that can go towards sink water.

Some mentioned bin bags, I ditched them along with the food ones, just use paper in compost bin old newspapers, and give other stuff a rinse if needed, majorty is now recycled or just seperate it once its going to main bins, its cleaner than it sounds and no bags.

Not really energy saving at home, but if you have any clean drinking water left over I usually chuck it in a watering can and let it build up, more useful on the hotter days without rain, I use it in garden. Also any water left over in drinking bottles, I usually just mix them into windscreen washer in car with the mix from Lidl.

Not sure of ins and outs if this helps, but I have started to turn down the heat in the shower where its not so much cold but just borderline bareable gets the job done and your out quicker.

Also have a look when in Lidl for things on offer like Carrots/Onions/Mushrooms when they are like 39/49c, easy to chop up and pop in freezer for a later date, also good tip for any carrots etc.. keep an eye on dates/condition and freeze before they end up in bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Burn household items that you would normally discard.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

I’m turning down the room stats by 1 degree. 24 down to 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I get bamboozled by all the rates, deals and so on with electricity. I had a Smart meter installed recently, didn't really have a choice when I think about it, pushed on me more like. But anyway, now that I have it (Electric Ireland) they have offered me one of three options..

1. Regular rate
    2. Slightly higher rate per kwh with "free" electricity on Saturday or Sunday from 8am to 11pm.
    3. Night rate saver.

I chose option 2. I know it probably all evens out in the end, but it means I can do several wash loads, use the dishwasher, batch cook, and use the immersion to heat the water during the day. Don't have gas CH on much in the day, but it does heat the water when on. Has anyone got this plan?

Another thing I have found useful, just for pig iron's sake I leave cards at home when out for a walk. I always made it my business to walk somewhere there was a coffee shop, or other shop en route, and just because I felt like a "reward" for my five or more miles I would spend on things I absolutely did not need. It can become addictive this "no spend" thing and I don't like the idea of turning into Scrooge, but will keep it going for a while and see.

I gave up Spotify and now use Borrow Box free from the Library for ebooks and audio books. It's bloody great, you can reserve and you will be informed when book is ready.

A heated throw on the sofa is the best though. That along with a decent electric blanket got me through last Winter for two months while waiting for the contractors to come and fit a new gas boiler.

Good thread, some daft ideas, some great ones.

A heated throw on the sofa is the best though.

...I'm intrigued I never heard of those before 🫠

Edit: I googled this and under product description states "Great to take the chill away, or when in need of a warm hug or feeling under the weather during lockdown."

Who needs a person hug when you have a heated throw😁

Post edited by Fishdoodle on

Not really, burning plastics etc is terrible for the environment and most can be recycled. Anything which is not been recycled you should not be burning

Plus if you have a stove and you burn all sorts in it you will be damage to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭phormium

I want one of those heated throws, they had them in Lidl last year, will surely come in again before winter!

Advertisement