Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 Irish EV Sales

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I've never used a public charger but have seen plenty of cars parked in the spaces not even plugged in, a way to stop this might be to charge for parking but when you pay for the parking in a charging spot, the parking fee goes towards the charging fee? That would mean there's no advantage to being parked in those spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think that's also down to how they're registered. I noticed sometimes on the VRT system they seem to combine several versions of the same model, presumably because Revenue were too lazy to add different versions

So it might not entirely be Toyota's fault

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The Leaf 40 kwh issue on Taxis and the like is likely because of Nissans decision to not fit active cooling to the cars.

Components inside the pack start swelling up and so far the issue impacts Taxis or other heavy use vehicles at between 100 k and 150 k miles*.

Usually the issue shows up as either an isolation safety issue - the cars systems detect an issue and the car then won't start.

Or you get a weak module showing up.

The issue is then found when the battery pack is stripped down as part of the diagnostics into the non start or loss of range issue the car was bought in to the workshop for.

On high mileage taxi type work the cars will often be rapid charged - the battery gets hot repeatedly and thus causes the issue long term.

I would suspect that many normal use Leaf 40s will not see the issue for some time - possibly even never.

Because how many of them are on daily rapid charge type journey patterns.

Or indeed even doing big miles in first place.

Other EVs will likely be much better for a number of reasons.

1) less battery cycles over the life of the vehicle. Meaning less pressure on the battery during high mileage operations. Would even expect a 62 kwh Leaf to be less prone to the issue just for this reason alone. Even though the 62 kwh has no active cooling either.

2) active cooling means the battery will run at a much more controlled temperature over an operational day or full life of the vehicle.

3) better basic battery packs - Nissan are known for sub optimal battery packs in first place even without this issue.

Edit

Nissan designed their Leafs with a flawed expectation of how the cars would be used.

They weren't anticipating the idea of using the car for 300 miles EVERY day as a working vehicle with all that means in terms of 1 to 3 rapid charges daily.

They expected in their design that you might drive 50 miles a day to work, 50 miles home again and charge overnight.

More work to be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Toyota could correct them and insist the phev is placed in the right segment, but it would knock the RAV4 down from no 5 to below that of the id4 in terms of registrations,

I still think that the rav4 numbers are impressive, for a crowd that put no effort into selling PHEVs or EVS and only focusing on their self-charging adds.

The phev is not a bad attempt, 75 km range, 100km for city, I always dismissed it as being 10 k more than the self charger, but comparing it to id4 price, to me anyway its now a contender, that is even including the 5k grant the id4 now is getting.

Comes with a nice battery warranty also.

How long is RAV4 plug-in Hybrid battery designed to last?

• At Toyota, we build every battery to last the lifetime of your vehicle. Each battery comes with a 5-year /100,000 km* warranty which can, with an annual Hybrid Health Check, extend battery cover for up to 10 years.

• * Whichever is soonest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

Just realised I overlooked one important fact related to the car sales in 2022. Diesel dropped to 2007 levels, or better said pre-CO2 taxation. I'm curious to see what the next year will bring in this regard. Really hopping for the EVs to reach 15% market share this year. The big elephant in the room HEVs have the biggest jump reaching 21%, a x7 increase in 5 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

HEVs may as well simply be bucketed with petrol at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

The numbers are in: 1493 EVs sold in August 18.3% market share.

The top 10:

overall for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

The numbers are a strange one. If u could actually get an ionic, ev6 etc. They would have sold piles more.

VW have done a great job with deliveries on the id4 but when u compare the car itself to the ioniq and ev6 it can't hold a candle to then. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's always been like this. Hyundai came out with the game changing high spec cheap €25k, super efficient so decent range Ioniq 28kWh in late 2016. It was far better per € than anything else out there, they could have sold 100 times what they were producing, but somehow their production was low and they kept half of them in South Korea. In the US the car was only available in a couple of states and the minimum price you could get one for was $3000 ABOVE the full list price. Dealers very greedy, because they could.

As an ID.4 owner, I agree with you. I think the EV6 is the best car in its class. The tech on it is way ahead of VW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

The front is good, not entirely sold on the curved light bar around the booty however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The EV6 is the most expensive too isn't it? More than Ioniq5, ID4, Model 3 or Enyaq anyway.

Actually pound for pound the enyak is. So little comes as standard. I was looking st a second hand 60kw 2021 reg for 51k and no reversing camera. Hilarious. Had a sunroof though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Same here, nightly and more than once a day if we used it in the morning. Then top up from the PV.

My wife’s short commute means 70% of our mileage is electric. We have never charged at a public charger.

So a PHEV can be used as intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

As the old saying goes, an ID4 in the hand is worth an Ioniq5/Ev6 in the bush.

I actually think the ID.4 looks smart. In general, the designers within the VAG group having been delivering top work in the last decade or so compared to the likes of some other German competitors like BMW and Mercedes. The Koreans have come a long way, I like what they are doing, but their designs are marmite (Ioniq 5, EV6)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

Agree I prefer the look of ID4, Enyaq and to a lessor extent the Q4 Etron to the Ioniq 5 / EV6. ID3 looks better than the Niro to IMO.

Personally I really like both Ioniq 5 and EV6, but they are not mainstream looking cars. VW is far better at that while still keeping the cars distinctive and fresh looking. Great example is the Tiguan. Yes just another in the super popular class of compact / mid size cross overs. But by far the best looking one of them all.

If I could get an ID.4 with the interior and tech of an EV6, then I'd happily trade one of my kidneys for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I really don’t care for the rear of the ev6. The ioniq5 has grown on me but I’d still take the VW group designs over the others.

i wish they’d all give up on the massive suv yokes though and give us some nice saloons and estates. The model3 is a nice size.

SUVs is what people want. Very few people want saloons these days and even fewer want estates and zero females 😂

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Agreed. Cousin of mine was interested in getting an ID.4. Told him if I was buying now (6 months ago) i'd be getting an EV6, no doubt. He got the EV6 and is delighted with it.

That said, the ID.4 1st for about €41k when it arrived on the scene is hard to argue with given the cost of the EV6 and others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Many people don’t like the retro look of the ioniq

Yeah maybe but I actually love it. And it's so much better from a tech perspective

The tech and infotainment in the id3 and id4 is awful imo

I genuinely think it's a supply issue and if people could actually get an ioniq 5 the sales would be on a par with the vw

Have to say the lack of OTA updates on both brands is poor

I dunno, @mc2022B2TF. People are creatures of habit that's why they still mostly buy from the 2 biggest car companies in the world, VW and Toyota. The former produce just about adequate EVs with many shortcomings compared to the more advanced competition, who undeservedly don't yet have the same reputation of quality. The latter can't even produce one EV and might be gone as an automotive giant pretty soon if they don't get the finger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

I would be more inclined to say "some people are creatures of habit". I've been driving for 23 years and I've had Opel (Kadett and Astra) , Citroen (Xantia), Ford (Scorpio, facelift end of the line plus several Focuses) and Hyundai (XG). Currently waiting for a C4. Don't think I'd ever consider a Volswagen or a Toyota. Audi would come under that bracket too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Will never buy a VW, what the did to the atmosphere over those cheating years was unforgivable, may have been fined but nowhere near enough

I don’t believe that the ioniq5 offers wireless CarPlay or Android which would rule it out for many people. That’s a serious lack of basic tech.

Hie can you say it has better Infotainment when it lacks basic functionality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can plug in a cable and it'll work, more reliably as well.

To use wireless AA you need Android 11 or above. Only 50% of Android users have 11 and above.

Not sure how it works for Apple.

Cables suck especially with iPhones. The lightening port attracts lint and gets blocked. No issue with wireless CarPlay in the ID4 and I wouldn’t consider a car without it.

you shouldn’t have to plug in a cable in 2022 especially a 50k+ one

I'm talking about the actual infotainment of the car. When u have to rely on apple or android to be your go to then it points to laziness on the big car companies side.

Infotainment isn't just android auto. I'm talking about the whole package meaning screen size and ease or use and responsiveness. I've been in the id4 and it's 5 year old tech which isn't really acceptable.

ID.3 and ID.4 are middle of the road cars. People don't buy a VW EV for the tech. If you want one that's 5 years ahead, buy a Kia / Hyundai. If you want one that's 10 years ahead, buy a Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

My car has wireless car play, I would never consider a car that didn't have it, they need to catch up tech wise with the rest of the manufacturers that do provide it.

you’ve been told it is 5 years away old. But yet the ioniq is the one missing basic technology

I don’t rely on wireless it but it certainly helps with Spotify, listening to messages and dictating responses , using google maps. And thus provides an overall user experience How do use Spotify in an ioniq5?

I haven’t used a. Ioniq. But I don’t see how it could be any easier than the id4. Just touch what you want it to do it use voice commands.

• Advertisement

i believe they do with the latest software. But I just use the ones on my chargers. Interfaces with VW to read the SOC.

The fact they weren't working for two years is a bigger issue than not having wireless AA.

Plenty of cars are missing stuff others have and vice versa.

The package on the Ioniq is probably slightly better than the ID4 especially with the much faster charging and the less aggressive charging curve. I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed with either though.

Apart from wireless android auto what else do you think the id4 does better or is more advanced in a particular area than the ioniq?

Regardless, apart from tesla automakers are so reliant on android auto and lazy when it comes to making their own infotainment systems any better.

You know what works better than android auto? Built in Google maps, Spotify, YouTube, Netflix....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

while handy for short trips. On longer trips wireless CarPlay and wireless charging is crap. The only ever time my iPhone has thermally shut off with the above combination and we were only about an hour and 20 mins into a journey.

• Advertisement

Never an issue for me. Where did you have the phone ?

Apple car play charges and plays wirelessly seamlessly in my vehicle, its a must have addition for me.

This is what I mean about the enyak. Look at the price of some of these second hand ones:

The way skoda spec cars too is mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

The market (& world 🤔) is dysfunctional at present. Up is down, wet is dry......used cars are worth more than new.....

2 year old Tesla Model 3s with 50k kms are selling for 10% more than they cost new, despite the new & significantly improved model being available for less, within a matter of weeks for many.

I'm beginning to think we are actually living in a simulator 🤣.

2 year old base Tesla Model 3 are not selling for more than a brand new one costs. There are some sellers who put ridiculous asking prices up, but that doesn't mean they are selling at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Personal experience:

Sold a 2 year old Tesla Model 3 with close to 50k kms on it, into the trade recently. Sold it for practically what it cost 2 years ago, just hundreds of Euros in the difference.

It was sold on for 10% more, i.e. more than a new 2022 LFP car is available for today.

Heck, even Tesla themselves were/are buying cars in for more than they sold them for new, earlier this year!

QED 😎.

"It was sold on for 10% more, i.e. more than a new 2022 LFP car is available for today."

Unless you can show some sort of proof of that, there is no QED I'm afraid ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

There must be a lot of people out there who know even less about the price of an EV than they do about EVs themselves.

We sold a Tesla this year and it lost some value, likewise we sold an Audi, not an EV and it similarly lost some of its value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭sk8board

+1 on the wireless apple car play. VW get murdered for the id4 infotainment, but the reality is that we rarely actually use it.

Wireless apple carplay connects (seamlessly, and 100% of the time, for us anyway), when we sit into the car and unless we’re changing something specific on the climate control, we never even see the VW screens.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement