Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying grass rolls

Options
  • 04-09-2022 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having just completed a home renovation, my lawn was left in a sorry state. For a few reasons I need to get a new lawn down ASAP so I decided to have the existing lawn dug up and I want to buy some rolls of grass for an instant lawn. The lawn was dug yesterday and I'm wondering what I need to do at this point to get the new rolls down.

As you can see from the attached pictures the soil is well scraped and is very loose but it's quite stony. Is this ok to lay the rolls onto then roll it, or do I need to do some other prep beforehand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Rake it out level and rake off the bigger stones as you go. You want a really good level. If any areas are soft then walk over it putting weight on heel then toe to firm it up - heel toe the whole area if necessary. I've laid thousands of yards of turf and never rolled it. With a bit of a rake out, a few stones removed and level up that ground looks good.

Edit> The area with the building stone look a bit suspect check you have enough soil there. No need to remove the building stone if you there is but if there isn't much soil (less than 50:50) then it needs to go.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Great thanks for your reply. I've started raking it already and it's fairly good just a few dips in it that I'm trying to sort. The building stone is where the old tarmac was dug out but I'll be digging that away and putting in kerbing so that won't be an issue

The one thing I forgot to mention is don't forget to water it if we get dry weather.

Thanks, and one last thing you might be able to advise on - is there any reason to go with expensive over cheap? There are loads of suppliers for the Wicklow area and I need over 200 rolls so I'm trying to get the cost down wherever it makes sense to do so.

You need to see the rolls to get any idea how good they are. You can pay a lot for rubbish but the rubbish is rubbish. Best thing if you can is pay COD and say you'll inspect a couple of rolls before they unload - if they will do that.

But basically better quality turf with decent grasses and no weeds will be better and more expensive. You also want a decent amount of soil that is an even thickness not sods that have different thickness and are thin in places.

This time of year with the current weather you'd have a decent start to a law before the end of it from seed.

• Advertisement

All great to know thanks, I'm seeing €7 a roll in a few places but there are some that give a discount when buying in bulk that's why I asked. Unfortunately I can't wait for seed to take, it would be my preferred option but I basically need a full lawn by this day 2 weeks so the rolls are my only option

You know you can't really use the turf for at least a month after laying it. If you walk on it to much it will move around and not bind properly. I can remember turfing a paddock once and a fortnight later the idiot we did it for let his Polo ponies out on it and the whole lot was completely ruined - that was an extreme case.

Best get it delivered in bulk but ask them when they are cutting it. You want to get it down as soon as possible after its lifted. You don't want sods that have been sitting around on a pallet for a while. Obviously the grass should be green any sign of yellowing is a sign its been left rolled up for too long.

Yes I understand that, thankfully I need it for looking at rather than using it. I realise I'm being cryptic here but basically there'll be photos and videos taken at the house and if there's no lawn it'll cause all sorts of issues. Thanks for your advice very much appreciated, I'm a lot more informed now for ordering it

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

You need to let the grass get it’s roots, it’s not magic.

Advertisement