Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Scottish Tories are led by a man on a wafer thin majority, in a previously long term SNP seat, who takes frequent time off to do his other job (he's a football ref). Joke of a leader that shows how little concern there is for Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Rather ridiculous take in fairness.

Aus/Can/NZ are British settlers who really did not break from Britain (they ruled the natives for them)

Belize too small,

Malta and Caribbean did not ask to leave.

Cyprus were occupied and had its rebels imprisoned (with Irish people in fact), Britain ran out and left them too weak to defend themselves form Turkey

China told Thatcher if she did not get out of Hong Kong, they were taking it back, so she got out, hopped back in her ship

Problem is Britain defines itself as a country as one that invades, anti-Catholic and anti- French/Europe - almost a unifying force in their “culture”

SNP have really forced modernity into British politics citing nuclear disarmament, good international relations, anti-imperialism, reason, culture and, of course, democracy

Britain is facing its only ever existential threat which they certainly brought on themselves no one will feel sorry for them

Post edited by An Claidheamh on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Erm, just the minor matter of Scottish unionists to consider there - and their would-be loyalists on the Rangers wing of things.

Also I don't see London allowing an independent Scotland anyway. Too much to lose. Wait until you see the schenadigans even if they did vote for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When the Brexit remainers numbered 48%, it did not bother the Tory Brexiteers - they told the Remoaners 'You lost - get over it!'

So I do not think the Scottish Unionist, if they lose the IndyRef2, might be told the same.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No more than our own breed there'll be knashing of teeth and banging of drums but armed resistance capable of destabilising is no more likely in Scotland than it is here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It has to. That's why they oppose another referendum so badly. They know they've no arguments for Unionism and that they'd have to honor the result.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think I"ve said it before, but for Scottish Independence to have legitimate clout, the Yes vote has to be 60+% IMO: the voice has to be loud enough that the wriggle room of the coin toss becomes academic. I'd trust Sturgeon and the Scottish political establishment to not go nuclear in the face of a 52/48 split, because Scotland already understands the antagonistic divisions that roil under the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,065 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ulster was planted to divide Gaels of Ireland and the North and west of Scotland . Ulster was the most Gaelic part of the Island because of that and earlier invasions into Leinster and Munster by the English.

It was also intended to split Scotland by rewarding Lowlanders against the Highland Gaels.

Divide and conquer

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This looks a massive tactical error from the Tories.

Keep in mind the Tories have been consistently adamant about respecting the Brexit referendum, which was supported by 37.4% of the total electorate.

Sturgeon's response:

Even if the Tories are just floating this as an idea to test the waters before eventually distancing themselves from it, feels to me like it's an own goal and a gift to the pro-independence argument. I can't imagine undecided voters being keen on this and even some unionists are expressing concern about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Doesn't help my feverish suspicions that there are those in England who are deliberatley trying to encourage a split in the Union so England can go it alone, without being blatanly seen to be doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Most of the shouting and hollering on social media seems to be coming from 'Scottish unionists' with union jacks in their bios. I'm not convinced that the English public are that pushed on the issue. They hate Nicola Sturgeon certainly (they have her down as a lefty Europhile and troublemaker who clearly dislikes the Tories and Brexit), but whether they care about Scotland itself is debatable.

Surely then,it should require over half the entire electorate to retain the union,

which if the electoral register is like here,would be a farce

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Has anyone run the numbers of what this would equate to in terms of percentage needed to pass a Yes?

Goodness, those numbers are bonkers. It would make the referendum practically unwinnable and not even worth holding, given the demographic make up of Scotland. The winning No side in 2014 only pulled in 2m votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I hope that Scotland never goes independent. It'll be a on the brink as a failed state soon.

They wouldn't get the Euro anyway and wouldn't be able to use the British pound as well, and to date they are vague on that, - same as on military and defence or citizenship or how soon they'd be part of the EU. And then there is the question of finance, how to pay from free universities to free menstrual products for women. There is neither an answer nor a guarantee to any of these points.

The SNP has a lot of domestic issues which they can't even handle today, and yet, they still speak about independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

they could try this same thing if referendum in northern ireland too...

That's presumably the point! It's so transparently anti-democratic but as someone said, at this stage maybe the Tories are trying to push the Scots out without wanting to seem to be pushing the Scots out. It'd suddenly give these manoeuvres the patina of strategy. 75%, jaysus. Struggling to think of any ref that got that level of support.

The UK has had its day, and lasted longer than most institutions. The cracks have spidered since 1999 and since 2016 the best outcome has been for England to simply become its own entity rather than continue this obviously dysfunctional "family". Let England adopt the Sovereignty it wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The English public does not "hate" Nicola Sturgeon.

Some of them do. But some of them "hate" everyone.

Fact is, a lot of English people admire her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd argue that their continued membership of the UK has effectively rendered them a failed state reliant on a few industries and smaller growth, in comparison to somewhere like Ireland.

The Bank of Scotland can peg itself to sterling and make a decision later on about the Euro or not, or tie to a basket of currencies. Scotland itself will be able to set itself up for growth independent of what England decides (and set it's own sustainable tax policies to pay for it). They can also pretty quickly join EFTA and get all the benefits the NI is currently enjoying but without crazy westminster politicians wanting to tear it down.

There is very few downsides to independence and a lot of upsides, most of the downsides (sterling, pensions) end up being scaremongering and factually untrue.

• Advertisement

I don't admire her at all.

Even if Scotland would go independent, she won't be in politics for very long, not there to pick up the mess she created.

It'll be just very similar to Brexit. Leave a mess and a chaos, but go, before you get blamed. It's the overarching situation with British politics.

I only see downsides to Scottish independence and very few upsides.

But again, opinions will differ very much on this but this is only natural and bound to be controversial. Sadly, it's also a 50% - 50% decision, or nearly ( I think currently it's 48 for yes, 52 for no ) , and sadly one can toss a coin on this. One part of the population will decide over the other.

Part of the problem is the SNP, - in their attitude everything bad goes to England, everything good goes, or better stays, in Scotland.

Would the Royal Navy stay? the Royal Air Force? The SNP much hated submarines? How would Scotland compensate? Shipbuilding takes massive orders from London as well.

I also wouldn't listen too much on what the SNP says on currency, in the end, this subject will be up to economists and international rating agencies. Of course they are all wrong in the eyes of the SNP....

Those Scots who want an independent Scotland should better get used to an NHS which is on the level of the HSE in Ireland, or supermarket prices like in Ireland, if they are on the Euro same as chronically underfunded military like in Ireland. Would an Air Force of an independent Scotland afford fighter jets? Would university stay free? I doubt that massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They can't, that referendum is fixed at 50%+1 in international legislation already.

The thing is that they can just keep insisting that its not clear that it could pass and simply never have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I didn't say everyone admired her. There's room for everyone.

How are you holding her solely responsible for the Scottish independence movement?

The SNP already made the first mistake: A referendum is a referendum, but not a never-endum. Now they argue that Brexit gives them another mandate, if the 2nd referendum doesn't go their way, I am sure, there is a third case for a referendum.

The whole story is a bit of a reminder to Quebec in the early 90ies. And I don't think Quebec could ever be independent, for similar reasons like Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Impossible indeed.

Similar rules applied to the Scottish Devolution referendum in 1979 - it was stipulated that more than 40% of the registered electorate was required for the vote to pass. In the end, 51 of a 64% turnout voted in favour, so just 32% of electorate.

That of course included dead people, those registered at multiple addresses and non-voters. Would at least make a good case for mandatory voting, as in Australia.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What would happen the border in the event of an independent Scotland? Im guessing if they rejoin the EU it would basically be a hard border with full customs checks. Do a lot of people cross that border daily to work on one or other side of it like happens in NI? Could be very messy if so. Its strange in all the articles written about Indyref Ive never seen one explain the border situation post independence.

It would presumably be very similar to the ROI-GB border i.e. the one we have at our ports and airports. Probably a very similar 'common travel area' to our one, but customs checks for goods and livestock etc.

You would imagine there would have to be border posts and the need to bring photo ID with you, so definitely messy alright.

I don't know how many cross from England to Scotland every day, regarding place to live and place to work. However, I would suggest, a lot do, and statistics are probably limited, as it's still one country. Between the ROI and NI you have at least an international border, thus it's easier to measure.

What is a lot more, is many Scotts live in England as well, and many more in and around London. Denying them a possible vote in a 2nd referendum is something I already criticised in the 1st referendum, - but they allowed EU citizens to vote back then.

I see her similarly responsible as Ian Paisley back in the days in NI. Pouring oil into the fire, for self centered aim.

However Paisley believed a lot more his actions. Regarding Sturgeon, I believe she's also a bit like David Cameron on Brexit, - he knows it doesn't work, but the party hardliners demand it and she's basically doing like Cameron did.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The Scotland-England border is shorter than that in Ireland and much of it is sparsely populated. There is less interchange generally as a conseqence. As Scotland had its own NHS and its own income tax then I expect that there is data on the number of people commuting. It requires attention, but probably is is not the hardest issue to address.

Advertisement