Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Is there much of a differ? The one at greenfield was macaris for a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There shouldn't be a difference within the chain. There probably is, though.

Romayos is a brandname of one of the multiple Macari families. It's had the same owner for decades, ever since it stopped being El Dorado (and stopped selling milk, bread, smokes and chocolate bars after Geragthys closed, for the long term residents memories)

I remember well. Hopefully their product improves anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Not just you! They're crazy hot, and all I want to do is cool down when I've finished in the gym. They are annoying. Otherwise I'm finding it really good in there, although I've not been at a peak time yet, I'm guessing it could get quite busy as it's not that big

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭NetworkOrange

LANA will have some competition with Camile there. Diep does deliver to Maynooth but its far enough away, so takes ages or can be cold.

Romayos just can't have enough places. I've had no issues with the one in Greenfield, not sure what peoples issues are with it.

• Advertisement

There's already a second Thai in Maynooth - Red Torch. Don't see how the market can support three

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Find Diep delivery good price and time tbh.

Never order from Red Torch Ginger as they don't deliver.

Will definitely give Camille Thai some business.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭NetworkOrange

New planning permission in for Buckley house. Looks like itll be student accommodation during term and tourist accommodation outside of that.

Interesting that parking is not mentioned at all and only bike spaces are. As if students will just cycle up from the country with their belongings.

Applicant Name:

Maynooth University,

Development Description:

For development at this site Buckley House, Parson Street, and lands to the rear of Buckley House, (total site area 0.303 ha) with frontage onto Leinster Street, Maynooth. The application is generally as per the expired previously granted application 16/328 with minor amendments to building height and internal layout. The development will consist of: (i) The demolition of the remains of 5 No. derelict outbuildings and sheds. (ii) The construction of a mixed-use development (total floor area 3906.5sqm) comprising a student accommodation facility (including use as tourist or visitor accommodation outside the academic term) and 2 No. restaurant/café units. The development will include 140 bicycle spaces, enclosed refuse stores and plantroom in a 3 storey courtyard building with glazed setback at 3rd floor penthouse level, a glazed single storey link extension to Buckley House and associated landscaping, ancillary site development works including flood relief works. (iii) Restaurant/café units comprise 1 No. café unit (total area 160sqm) with outdoor dining terrace fronting onto Leinster Street and 1 No. restaurant unit (total area 328sqm) to include the restoration and change of use from residential to restaurant use of Buckley House (168sqm), a new single storey glazed link extension (160sqm), outdoor dining terrace and landscaped public open space (407sqm) with access from Parson Street. Buckley House and its curtilage is a Protected Structure and restoration works will include new floors, doors, windows and roof where necessary and associated landscaping and site works. (iv) Student accommodation facility (including use as tourist or visitor accommodation outside the academic term) comprising 116 No. bedroom units over ground, first, second and third floors to include 109 No. single study bedrooms with ensuite and 7 No. wheelchair accessible single study bedrooms with ensuite (12.7 - 21sqm), associated communal kitchen and common rooms with private access at ground floor level to single storey atrium (137.5sqm) and external courtyard (290sqm), accessed from main entrance on Leinster Street and side entrance from lane to rear of Buckley House, Parson Street,

Development Address:

Buckley House,Parson Street,Maynooth,Co. Kildare.

https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/11803050/buckley-house-main-street-maynooth-maynooth-kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭crl84

They'll probably get a lift up with belongings when they move in.

Then get the train/bus/lifts home whenever they go back.

Like hundreds of other students do now....

That is, as far as I can tell, the exact same planning as got permission that ran out before.

There is a sign up over the former games shop in Manor Mills for something with a name like "La Lalava" - it was so repetitive I forgot exactly what it was. Sounds like another ladies boutique from the name.

• Advertisement

Its La Lalara, and it is a ladies boutique. Open now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'm sure all the new houses being built will be no help in supporting the businesses 🙄

There's already lots of empty tables in restaurants four to six nights a week, delivery is making up much of the business for some.

Planning in to convert the old bookies / briefly community space at Manor Mills to another restaurant as it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

just moved up this way so would be dead handy, & had expected it to be opened by now after reading this & was a bit disapopinted when i walked over lol

Still a building site?

It didn't progress at all in the months I was passing regularly out to my storage unit out in Moyglare, haven't had reason to go by for a few months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

I've heard that it's to be a Mexican/burrito place - a chain this time, unlike Besburritos.

is the maxol not 24 hour anymore? used to be three 24 hour places in maynooth a few years ago, now there's nowhere open after 11pm

Not been since the pandemic. All three petrol stations have automatic pumps (only automatic in the case of Certa)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

It did progress over the last few months whereby they put a roof on it but as far as being ready for opening it's a good bit off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Relative newbie to Maynooth, whereabouts at Manor Mills do you mean? Besburritos seems to have been closed for some time, dunno if thats while students weren't around but hope it's not closed down.

are we sure it's re-opening or wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Rumours, unsubstantiated, that the shop won't open and instead will be accommodation. No idea of this is possible under planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I was told this when the work started. In saying that, rents are ridiculous in Maynooth these days so it wouldn't surprise me if it were to be accommodation instead.

It does look like a shop front though.

Retail to domestic change of use is required unless its been empty for over 2 years. And that would not apply to a new building.

And with absolutely no shops out that way, a massively growing population, and the proposed SHD over the county boundary there is an urgent need for retail out that way. The GAA club suffices in lieu of a pub more or less; but a shop and a pharmacy should both work - as would a GP surgery if someone could find a GP for it!

(and a chipper, not that anyone will be allowed get permission due to the schools. And it would only ever be successful during the day with the schools - as we saw with Romayos on Main Street dropping lunchtime opening)

Correct - Zambrero, the planning docs are scanned now.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Is Besburritos gone? Can't remember when I last saw it open, but no for sale / lease sign outside either.

Gone hopefully. Absolutely horrific. I think its over priced for some of the stuff too but where isn't these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

The guy who opened the restaurant owns the entire building including the unit where yeah burger is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

The guy who opened the restaurant owns the entire building including the unit where yeah burger is.

Advertisement