Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I don't believe that they are. A house up the road from my mom (Dublin 5) sold for 550 according to local gossip. It was up for 530. A similar house went for 640 (nearly 140k over the asking) in 2021.

I think we're past the wild overshooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Tow

It could be in Ringsend or around Beaver Row etc. Not all of D4 is posh!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I can assure you that it's a rather unremarkable part of D4. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

The best to look at your example, it is about 40% above asking price. Either way people are desperate still or it is time to flush out people with stupid money 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭feelings

Properties in areas around me are still going above asking, I would guesstimate about 5-10%. Less people at viewings for sure. Houses only seem to be on the market a couple weeks before being snapped up.

Jesus. Someone’s prepared to pay that for a semi detached bungalow in Palmerstowm needing a full refurb? That’s utter insanity

Yes, I feel like looking again in 6 months tbh...I'll either have missed the boat altogether or something something something...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Calculator123

Location described as "Stunning" in the ad!

I've visited one of those. Identical condition. They are not family homes. Tiny. Suitable for a single person or couple only. Very much retirement home vibe.

Ha. Stunning. EAs have become caricatures of themselves at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Asking prices seems very low. You would hardly buy that house in Limerick city for that listed orice

Slava Ukrainii

Yes it was originally pitched low but has far exceeded expectations.

Dose it need a full refurb. People want to buy houses that are liveable in and then want the new house look. That house is in liveable condition. It has gas central heating. Get rid of the electrical stove and put in a wood stove. You will need to line the chimney. Other than that paint and flooring. Down the line do external insulation. Get the fitted kitchen units professioally painted.

I forgot redo the bathroom in a few years as well

Slava Ukrainii

Yup - Certainly a house I would pay 40% more than what they are asking 👀

What type of individuals do you think are bidding on that house.

And as many have said here asking price is irrelevant. The asking price was 25% below any realistic market value

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's a pretty old gas boiler so I'd be replacing it and the radiators would need to go too, add to that basic flooring and decoration and if you were capable of doing some work on the bathroom and kitchen yourself you could potentially save a few quid.

It'd be a stretch to say it's in turnkey condition, the heating system is something that's better to have done while the house is vacant so if you only tackled one thing that'd be the place to start.

You could live with the old kitchen and bathroom but at 410k I'd feel like a lot of the renovation money was being mopped up in the bidding war.

Ultimately there comes a point where you have to draw a line and accept that there are people who either don't have to worry about money and can bid as much as they want or they are willing to go crazy on the purchase price and just do the required work by degrees.

That price for that house in that area to me is insane though.

Glazers Out!

No idea why you are getting pissy at me, I said I would happily pay 40% more for that property 👀

Ya and you ment it as well.

Those types of bungalow's are sought after by older people downsizing or when there mobility reduces. You could have a couple of older couples bidding on it who are selling or have sold a property that is twice or more times the value. You get older couples who have large family homes who may have offered there house to one of there there children who has a family subject to getting something like this that is suitable.

That particular house is in a cul de sac which increases it value as well.

An older couple moving into it will not be as fussy about refurbishment. I do external insulation before I would worry about the gas boiler or radiators. Bathroom as well. After that painting and flooring can change a house

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Those rads weren't installed well to begin with and the boiler looks like it's been there a couple of decades which is beyond the standard lifespan.

In all it has the appearance of a heating system that is inefficient and costly to operate.

Unless you can tile and plumb the bathroom yourself it's an expensive job to do, tiles and labor alone for that size room these days could be close to a couple of grand and that's before you start fitting it out. The electric shower looks like a recent addition so that could be repurposed for sure.

I think for that property at that price I'd want less work to do. It just shows what demand in a certain area can do, I can think of a number of properties in what might be considered slightly more desirable areas of south Dublin that could be got for that money without those headaches. Maybe the prospective buyer has family in the area or something. Hard to see any older couple taking that type of property on later in life.

Post edited by nullzero on

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

For a very tired looking, dated house, its utter maddness, its quite riduclous.

• Advertisement

It might be but there is a very limited number of those houses that come for sale every year. They are sought after by people who wish to trade down in there 60/70's. This house was also in a cul de sac which makes it more attractive to this age group. I saw a 2 bed bunglow outside a village 15 miles from limerick city make 230K lately. The couple that bought it are from the locality were living nearly 3 miles from the village have sold there two story house for over 500K and will do some modernisation to the house. The small bunglow is at the edge of the village but there is a footpath virtuall from it into the village.

See what you can do for 15K it just after the middle break in the program

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/cheap-irish-homes/SI0000006894?epguid=IP000067979

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭redsheeps

MyHome.ie August '22 update.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

I'd imagine anyone that doesn't yet have contracts signed is getting itchy feet at this point.

Just seems to be such an abnormal time to buy

I suppose if you are paying crazy rent or finding it hard to get a rental unit. Buying is still the best option you have.

If I had a young family and was renting, with all the increased rental disruption likely coming down the line, and found a place that suited me and my family for the long term, I would not hesitate to buy today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

I just got mortgage approval this week, not sure what to be doing to be honest 😣

A couple of houses I viewed in North Co Dublin were already above the inflated initial asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I think we're in for declining prices over the next few years but I've no idea by how much or when. That said, the perfect house came up and we could afford it (I thought), so got involved. It's just gone 100k over asking and we've bowed out due to just not having the money for it anymore. There are two bidders now fighting over it who I think are both older couples and at least one of them paying cash. This is a now 850k house that needs a minimum 250k refurb, more like 400+ to do everything you'd really want to it. Part of me is glad we've been priced out of it now, I'd be worried about construction costs rising again in an energy crisis and being stuck with a house you couldn't afford to modernise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Prices are probably going to fall as mortgage rates rise.

A 300k mortgage was costing under €1200 a month at 2.5%

Same mortgage will be €1600 a month if rates go to 5% (this would mean ECB of 2.5/2.75% and possibly reached next year)

If you are currently buying or are variable rate (utterly crazy if you are) or a current fixed rate is within a year or so of ending - fix for as long as possible under 3%. If you can get a 10 year fixed for 3% or less, take it immediately. The day of zero are gone and very unlikely to return.

It is near certain that there is ZERO break penalty on any fixed rates entered into before last January due to how the calculations are done. So break and refix for 5, 7, 10 or more years.

ECB will be increasing rates next Thursday. Possibly by 0.75%. This week is the last opportunity for the low fixed rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

I would agree that increasing rates should impact prices except for the fact the central bank mortgage rules are so conservative that for most repayment calculations interest rates just aren't binding. Throw in the differential between rents and mortgage repayments and it suggests that as long as people keep getting paid price levels shouldn't fall away to any great degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

With 2nd hand house prices positively correlated but not perfectly correlated to new house prices, what are folks opinions on the effect of the outrageous cost to build at the moment on 2nd hand prices.

Every new launch near me seems to be dearer than the last but they sell out immediately, pushing buyers towards 2nd hand hand houses

All the talk here is of interest rates which, if people are rational consumers will make a difference, but there's very little rational about the irish housing market at the moment. People will want to buy and will continue to buy, demand is still huge.

I can't see cost of new houses decreasing and I can't see 2nd hand decreasing either. The latest initiative by the greens to ban oil and gas boilers in favour of heat pumps etc will only push cost of building up further.

I do think we've reached the peak of affordability but I can't see huge drops. If I was looking I'd buy now to get out of rental market anyway which is a huge steaming mess.

My situation is I own a property that is suitable, I do want to move towns about 10kms to a slightly bigger house with a garden but the hassle of buying and selling at same time is very off-putting. I defo don't want to be an amateur small landlord and keep my house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement