Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ryanair have capitilised on Manchester and Edinburgh. Birmingham not so much. Glasgow could be useful but is so close to Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

I think we can stay on the optimistic side there with regard to JFK and other East Coast US airports, the runway length is becoming less of an issue in that regard with the operation of The 737 Max and the A321 LR

I believe it is only a matter of time now and I very much that it will be an Aer Lingus service as they are now Dublin centric.

Post edited by kub on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I am by no means an expert but everything I've read online suggests that even with the latest generation of narrowbody long haul planes, the runway length will continue to be a limiting factor for transatlantic from Cork. Considering that the long held rumours about the land not being suitable for an extension are completely false, they can easily expand 300 meters to the north, and that Cork Airport have continued to prioritise East Coast routes, it seems mad that there wasn't an expansion at the same time as the resurfacing. A 300 metre expansion would alleviate all worries for East Coast flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Surely and logically if that was indeed the case then why aren't the DAA making a case for a runway extension, obviously the usual Dublin Airport favoritism aside of course.

Norwegian managed the Providence route with the 737 Max and before that the 737 800, I am not sure of course if there were load limitations with the 800.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

There were payload restrictions on the -800, but the Max was able to operate with a full passenger load. I did the trip myself back in 2018, and the aircraft was pretty full, with no rows blocked off like would be the case if there were payload restrictions. Now, I don't know how much farther beyond PVD the aircraft could have flown with its onboard fuel load but I'd guess that both Boston and the New York area airports would have easily been possible with the 737-MAX8. Now, the A321NEO and LR performance is a different matter, but I can't imagine their performance being worse than that of the 737 MAX.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

From what I heard it’s seasonal, the new aircraft could operate without restrictions in the summer but would be restricted in the winter months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

any plans for cork to geneva to return ?

I'm still not sure about Transatlantic from Cork, not with Dublin (and its new runway) a few hours away and Shannon there too. Two things though - either we improve public transport with high speed rail from Cork to Dublin + airport (unlikely), or we bring back Aer Lingus (Emerald) flights from Cork to Dublin. They were really considering doing it before the pandemic hit.

If anything were to be done to Cork runway wise, I wouldn't extend it, I'd make it Cat III so stuff can land in fog. That should have been done when they resurfaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I don't care much about transatlantic from cork tbh. Perfectly happy to go to Shannon for that, especially with pre-clearance. It's only an hour or so up the road, and most importantly, isn't Dublin. :)

Just some bog standard European routes would be fantastic. It's hard to make out the Cork schedule from the outside, but I get the impression when I go through the airport that maybe 70% of the regularly scheduled flights are UK?

The swiss flights are really patchy, here and there. Sometimes it's there, then it's gone again. Same for Rome. Can't get to any Scandinavian city , or even Berlin, anywhere in Belgium. I go to antwerp a few times a year, I've tried it by train from Schipol, hired a car and drove a few hours across the border. It's awkward for planning work either way because you have to get past The Hague and the traffic there is painful. Just normal working European business hubs would be nice, nothing exotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Flight was fairly full over and back from Bordeaux which was good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

is there any talk of a Winter schedule from Aer Lingus to Gran Canaria in November? I would like to book flights - Ryanair is expensive and I'm wondering should I hold out for another while. When I look at booking Cork to GC, it says that its due to be scheduled shortly but I don't know if that's correct or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The country with the most destinations is Spain, then followed by the UK and surprisingly Italy. Am I imagining this or was Munich not served at one point? It would be nice to see more German routes plus Brussels, Vienna, Warsaw, Krakow, Prague, Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm, as well as the return of Lisbon, Budapest/Bucharest, Wroclaw and Malta. I'd love transalantic, and they can focus on multiple things at once, but I'd consider all of those European routes more of a priority

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Munich was definitely served. Quite frequently at one point, before Aer Dublin reduced the frequency to twice a week and eventually killed it completely. I think, rather than simply focusing on destinations, the focus should be to attract more airlines. Aer Dublin simply cannot be trusted by any airport outside the pale and Ryanair isn't the most reliable business partner either, so getting more carriers is the only way for Cork to grow reliably. I'd personally love to see the likes of SAS, Austrian Airlines, LOT, Eurowings or ITA Airways start serving the airport, though the latter in particular seems unlikely.

As for transatlantic, I remember someone publishing some financial information from Norwegian in this thread in 2018 or 2019 that showed that the Cork-Providence route was actually the only Irish route that was profitable for Norwegian, so the business potential is definitely there. If an airline can tap into that potential and route it via a US east coast hub, such as Delta with their Boston hub, or United with their Newark operation, both of which should be reachable from Cork with reserves, then I can see it working out.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Munich was twice a week if I remember correctly. Went over to Oktoberfest a few times and flew from Cork.

Heathrow, Stansted and Amsterdam are not far off 50% of the pax for Cork combined. Adding another major hub/destination/inbound tourism driver is what’s really going to drive growth in Cork. CDG, Frankfurt, Geneva or other potentials like Madrid or Istanbul are not going to deliver the sort of year round daily service that we see in the big three. JFK, Newark and Logan all could, at least in theory. The other European city destinations are all going to be two or three flights per week max and probably seasonal, that’s not to say that they don’t all add up but you can see why there is a big spotlight on the East Coast hubs.

Yeah, I'd say you're right on the numbers. I'm on the flights through LHR, AMS or CDG a good bit, because I can't get to where I actually want to go to directly. I see the same faces very often, off onto the heathrow terminal transfer service, or onto those long transfer walkways at schiphol.

Is it reasonable to assume that business travel, where people are doing maybe 2-8 flights a month all year around, are a heavier driver of revenue than seasonal tourist traffic? Cork has a decent amount of local industry and multinationals. Maybe not this year, when people were starved of holidays after covid lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Agree those 3 routes are the main business.Madrid or Lisbon could have the potential to be year around albeit on a reduced service during winter months. Large numbers of south americans here either working or studying so link these hubs would be good for them. Let alone the numbers of spanish here. Think it could be possible. A go study of the next batch of census results next april should provide more information in this area.

Airport also needs better links to Germany. Would also help if airlines confirmed their schedules a few weeks earlier. Many people start planning summer holidays in jan but often summer schedules are announced a bit later

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Lisbon seemed to be doing decent numbers pre covid too. It really should return. Madrid would also be useful. One of the Vienna/Bratislava or Budapest airports would be decent too as it gives you access to any of those cities so i'd imagine would get decent usage for city trips

Shannon go to Budapest so that one is partially covered I guess. Vienna would be nice.

Extra frequency on Amsterdam with KLM, Frankfurt with Lufthansa and Zurich with Swiss would be the only way to go I think myself. At least then you can get to most places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Aer Lingus used to serve Cork - Lisbon before the pandemic. Any talk about that coming back? Lisbon is a lovely city and now they have events like Web Summit too. Going via Dublin/London is a pain.

edit: I see it mentioned above as doing “decent numbers”. Fingers crossed that they bring it back.

Yes, extra frequency would be great.

But, transferring absolutely consumes work or life when you need a whole day of travel to get anywhere in europe, so it's can't be the ONLY way to go.

Get to airport 1 hr before flight, fly ~2 hours, changeover minimum 2 hours, next flight 2 hours, get out of airport - 1 hr. = 8 hrs, day gone. And there's very little time in there to get onto a remote meeting , because you're either in security or on a plane.

When I'm working in amsterdam or nearby, it's easy peasy. Might as well be a commute, hop on and hop off. If it's a transfer situation, I lose a whole day either end of the travel compared to my counterparts coming from UK or Dublin.

Agreed, yes. I guess I'm only thinking of myself here. I worked out you have to leave home from Cork 6 hours before a flight from Dublin airport. Its a 3 hour drive with a stop, 2 hours before the flight, with an extra hour just in case of traffic/crash/M50. Going via Amsterdam to that destination will never take that long unless you have a painful transfer time.

I also worked it out that for convenience and diesel, and Dublin parking, the difference in flight price would have to be greater than about 150 to 200 euros for me to fly out via Dublin rather than going via Cork plus connecting.

Isn’t there up to 4 flights a day going to Schiphol at the moment? I know half of it is covered by Aerlingus but how much more demand could Cork possibly fill on that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Agree amsterdam is well served now as it is. Would probably be better get maybe a Brussels route instead or a northern germany one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They skip some days in the week which would be handy to get added. Aer Lingus have no flights Tuesday or Saturdays, and KLM only are one a day some days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fjr13

Were these flights not dropped at the direction of the Dutch government to reduce flight numbers through schiphol, to relieve pressure? It appears most are returning for the winter schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Aer Lingus are not doing Gran Canaria or Tenerife this winter (or much else for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

Any rumours of Aer Lingus restarting their Cork Paris route? Pre Covid this was daily, but now Veuling only do it Tuesday and Sunday. Didn't KLM/Air France do it for a while too but they seem over as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

We might get a few new UK routes with Emerald but I wouldn’t be holding out hope for Aer Lingus to operate new or reinstate old European routes (at least in the near future).

Air France (Hop) seem committed to Cork. They are flying 6 times a week up until end of October. They then take a break until end of March 2023 and then start up again. Year round would be better but 8 months of year is not too bad. And we do have Vueling to Orly for those winter months.

Advertisement