Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Gas - Standing Charge 0.2988 for 45 days €13.45 Unit Rate 0.0633

Electricity - Standing Charge 59 Days 70.66 c/day €41.69 24 hour Units 566 kWh 30.34 c/kWh €171.72

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Your gas rate @ 0.063 c/kWh Seems decent enough, will go up in Oct. of course….like all of them!

Im confused re electric unit price , I’d say there’s a discount percentage on your bill under those figures. My guess is, you’re getting a discount on the 30.34kwh unit rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

When you break dual fuel supplier is it 50 per fuel or 50 total, I'm on duel fuel electric Ireland 26%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

I stayed with energia back in March as they offered me 22c per unit. Last bill showed €164 saving vs 'standard' rates.

Wonder what March 2023 will bring

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BigPineapple

Thanks for the response.

Will get my dad to ring up EI to check it out tomorrow.

What i still have some reservations about is the fact that he is on 24 hours meter. If he call up EI to ask them to change to a Day & Night meter, would they be forcing him to go into a new contract now that the plan will need to change accordingly.

Or should he be calling Energia, switch over and then get them to arrange instead.

This changing of meter is a minefield i have to admit

• Advertisement

Changing meter should be fairly straightforward- once changed, you’d still avail of your current %discount until the end of your contract. The cost per unit would be different of course with day/night but worth it IMO if you make the most of off peak use. Note , there will be some form of charge to install the meter, I believe (not huge, perhaps someone else knows) and your standing charge would increase a bit too. All in all it’s something I mean to do for my parents house -bottom line- it can save money.

In your shoes, I’d do it (meter change) via EI first. See what happens with Energia (their prices will increase soon) and personally I’d hold off switching until Oct/Nov (unless you haven’t changed in over 12 months).

Edit: just re-read your ‘Existing Customer Discount’ with Bord Gais …it’s actually not a bad discount. As far as I recall, they were the only company to announce a winter price freeze last year. I’m hoping they might do the same this year 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭masterboy123

My Electric Ireland contract is coming to an end and they are offering below rates. I have free Sunday electricity. Any thoughts?

(excl. VAT):

Energy Day Unit Rate: 28.85 c/kWh

Energy Sun Day Unit Rate: 0.00 c/kWh

Energy Night Unit Rate: 28.85 c/kWh

Annual Standing Charge: 277.91 €/annum

Got smart digital meter.

Post edited by masterboy123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Month left with EI but going to change to the EV plan on Energia in next couple of days I think it's the bargain alert of the decade! I've no EV but will pretend I've a new Tesla:-) and pay the 50 euro penalty the peace of mind of a fixed unit rate in current climate is well worth it as long as they honour it...

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

Yes 24 Hour smart digital meter. And getting free Sunday from 8 am to 11pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They didnt with me on Friday, he just asked if I have an EV, I said yeah and that was it. What happened yourself?

They wanted copy of cert 3 of install of charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They are catching on fast to people, you got over the line.

Let’s include the vat …

28.85 plus VAT is 32.75c p. kWh

This is how I’d be looking at it -I’m a bit tired now …so correct me if I make a mistake (you might have a better way of looking at this).

From OCTOBER that’s going to be about 44 cent . Take away one seventh (your free day) and averages about 37.7 c per KWh

If you really go to town with your dryer / washer etc on Sunday it might work out well…but I’d really doubt it.

Bord Gais rate will be 29.4c p. kWh from October for their smart tariff. Energia’s current rate will certainly climb with another price change.

Personally, Id be inclined to switch to BG. OR chance Energia. If Energia raise their prices they can be lenient re. not charging €50 exit fee if you’re just in with them. (They did for me anyhow in the past- I like their customer service). But Id just go with BG, and get on with life & review in 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How exactly do I get the meter changed? Energia said I need to ask EI to change my meter to a MCCO2 one, EI said I have to ask my existing provider to ask them. By the time it’s done will prices of already changed? Will they even change it?

what happens if they change the meter to the energia fixed rate one and then you want to just use some other provider, can that meter be used in normal rate deals?

I had ordered Airtricity, cancelled and ordered EI, not really sure what to do as I could end up spending the next few months cancelling contracts meanwhile I’m paying a fairly high rate (that’s higher then special offer rates with new companies even with their increases) for being out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Any love for Flogas? Are they also due a price increase alongside Energia? Out of contract with Energia on dual fuel bundle, no smart meter. Looking into Flogas for the Green Future Dual Fuel 40/35% 1yr plan, 440 cashback

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Bonkers is recommending SSE plans for me.

24 hour rate of 33c or their smart plan has 32c day rate.

Went through the revised rates for other providers on bonkers and it does seem to be the best.

Anything better? I have a smart meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

So which provider is going to to make their price increase announcement this lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭shalom

Why do you think there is going to be an announcement at lunch hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I've been with flogas for a few years (they always have the lowest price year on year for my usage).

Their % discounts look very generous, but they have the highest standard unit rates, so it's a bit of number trickery.

Just re-signed for gas and will re-sign for electricity later in the month.

Their last increases were in mid-August.

Always found them pleasant to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Just switched to Energia EV Plan asked me had I an Electric Car and a charging point told him yes no mention of certs etc.

I asked him to confirm the unit rate was definitely fixed for 12 months and he said all other Energia plans are variable unit rate but the unit rate on their EV plan is fixed for 12 months! So hope Energia honour the deal...Ive a 14 day cooling off period if anything changes in meantime..

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Been with Energia for two years via bonkers deals my 12 months are up and I rang them up to see any deals to extend contract all they are offering are 25% off electric standard rate of .369 unit rate which would be 0.2721 discounted unit rate including cat and for gas 24% off standard unit rate of 0.1007 which would be 0.0765 discounted rate including vat. He maintains the lower discounts on offer is to avoid any major price increase over the winter months and he is not aware of any increase coming in the near future for Energia. Wanted to sign me up but said I'd get back to them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,071 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They had overall best deal for my low usage due to cashback. And they still do now. They already had two price increases this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,071 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Check www.swicher.ie and www.powertoswitch.ie and the provider websites as well

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

And check moneyguideireland.com too

Any thoughts on FloGas? Their cashback is huge and standing charges are low enough.

We use 400 units of electricity every 2 months.

• Advertisement

The best saving to be got is not to use electricity. It’s a rat race changing providers, what you get in your left hand you pay out with your right.

Advertisement