Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Someone has asked an FOI for more detail on the candidates remaining on the 2020 list- Should know more once answered (Link provided below)

2020 Student Officer Merit List - a Freedom of Information request to Police Service of Northern Ireland - WhatDoTheyKnow

Heard a few weeks ago that there wasn't going to be a November and December intake, not sure if the recent announcement of the civil service taking control of the finances and the ability to issue up to 95% of last years budget will change that though.

Also, there is the chief constables report and policing board meeting next Thursday, recruitment I'm sure will be touched on. You can watch it live on Youtube under the 'NI Policing board' channel

Finally, Someone recently said on this campaign the PSNI are going to proceed with the 2021 remaining stages after the summer, with next Thursday being the 1st September, hopefully will hear something!

🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Starsky1

Good work to that person!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Unknown117

wonder when we will receive our next email?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

An update would be nice after 3 1/2 months lol hopefully people start getting vetting forms in the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Summer157

Does anyone know how long the start of the PSNI process takes til getting a call with an offer? If there is intakes in Jan & Feb it could be soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Boneyard2002

The year is 2088 and we are still waiting for an update and possibly vetting papers through the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 OldBenTheHermit

I was 2020 recruitment, got my vetting papers in October, Physical in January and Medical in February. My vetting was quick and only took 4 weeks, others can be waiting more like 40 weeks and everything in between. That’s the bit you have zero control over

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Byc_moze

Have you got your call yet? @OldBenTheHermit

Post edited by Byc_moze on

An absolute amazing post 😂😂 but at the same time so true 😂😂

I’m going to assume no one has heard anything, but by any chance has someone?

• Advertisement

Hopefully now we’re past summer and 2020 merit list is almost done we should start to get some progress! but i’ve heard nothing

Yeah I agree! Should be some communication soon…..I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gooner22

Well lads/ladies wish you all the best. I have other career opportunities I have been blessed to attain so therefore will be withdrawing. Was mid 200s on the merit list so that’s a slightly shorter wait time for someone. Hoping things progress soon. Wishing you all the best and a fantastic career. Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marshall6

Sorry to hear that @gooner22. I don't blame you. The wait and absence of information has been appalling. I'm not aware of any other organisation that treats it's candidates so poorly.

For the hundreds of other people also at the mercy of this process, good luck. At this point it seems doubtful that we'll hear anything for the remainder of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

I dont think you will be the only one gooner22. You would think out of courtesy we would get some sort of update, even if it is just on their website with projections for our campaign. Hearing nothing at all for nearly 4 months isn't really confidence inspiring and myself being in the 800s, I'm not confident I'll even be offered a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CG97

Well here we are folks. Middle of September and no update since 18/05.

anyone else loosing the will? Is it even worth sending recruitment an email and just asking what the craic is?

I don’t think it’s fair we are left in the dark so long.

There isn’t much point really it’ll just be a generic email anyway, end of the day they’ll email us when they’re ready and there isn’t anything we can do to speed up the process. Think of the certain people from 2020 campaign even 2018 waiting to get in, the wait is going to be long and I hope we all expected that when clicking apply. Long process but I hope everyone will hear something sooner rather than later!

I think we can all handle the lack of any progress through the remaining stages. It's the fact that it would take them 10 minutes to send out an email acknowledging that we're all still in the process. Especially in a time when rumours of cutting numbers and scrapping our campaign are rife.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Summer157

Is there rumours about scrapping our campaign will be scrapped?

Communication for recruitment is extremely poor.

Candidates have worked hard for the assessment centre, passed it, then given a merit list number (and given an feeling of success) followed by absolutely no communication for 4 months.

Personally id rather have an email of 'There is no further update' rather than nothing, and a feeling of being forgotten about.

No other organization I know of works like this....

Just have to keep hanging in there, I'm circa 100 on the merit list and was told I should expect to be in the first intake, I keep saying to myself " Should hear something this week" but I have been saying for a few weeks now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

I would have thought at least an updated email would have been sent by now. It's pretty bad to keep us hanging so long. If the 2020 campaign will be used shortly. Surely vetting and fitness test for our campaign should have commenced.

Blueandtwo1320 were you informed you should be in the first intake. I am less than 100 too on merit list.

Yeah that’s what I would have thought by now too.

No I just emailed recruitment about 6/7 weeks ago to see if there was any update. There couldn’t really give me any update but said with my merit list position I should be on the first intake, but I think they probably meant the first batch that proceed with the remainder on the pre-employment stages. If you are sub 100 you are obviously the same!

Where has the rumours of scrapping our campaign from?

I personally don’t think it would be scrapped.

correct me wrong but I don’t think a campaign has ever been scrapped.

the 2020 list is near exhausted so they will be moving until the 2021 next, it’s just gona take some time.

Don't think there are rumors' of scrapping our campaign. They has invested too much money in the external recruitment process. I also don't think they have ever scrapped a campaign once it has reached the merit list stage.

Someone asked an FOI when they are next planning to launch their next recruitment process, they replied to say the don't anticipate a recruitment process in 2023. I'd say it will just take a while chewing through our merit list.

Also still waiting on a reply to that other FOI requesting how many people are left on the 2020 campaign which will good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Glueby

There is a performance meeting within the Policing Board tomorrow at 2pm which should hopefully have more information regarding recruitment.

In terms of how long you could be waiting, I am around 300 and have been advised it will probably be at least another year and a half before anything moves forward for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CG97

I have sent them an email, what harm can it do 🤷🏻‍♂️

this is the response I got this morning - Thank you for your email which has been forwarded to the recruitment manager for her consideration.

Police Recruitment will issue an update email to all candidates in the 2111 recruitment campaign as soon as possible.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Regards

its not much but at least it’s something!

Thanks for that, and thanks for sharing the update with us!👍️

The rumour is that they could freeze recruitment. We're heading into a recession and it's happened before. I don't want to sound negative or kill morale but it's a possibility we have to prepare for. I'm now taking other opportunities and making other plans as I can't delay my life around the process.

A year and a half to the next stage? Was that advice from recruitment?

That seems like a very high estimate. If they didn't send the vetting forms out until 2024, I doubt anyone would be left.

They must know their candidates are being messed about when people are resorting to the FOI requests just to find out what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

There is an intake in oct then none till Jan.

Knew recruitment wd be slow but expected to much quicker than the 2020 which delayed by covid.

Lack of communication is frustrating

Another year and a half is so hard for the next stage. Hard not to look for other opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Glueby

@marshall6 As far as I am aware recruitment is at a snails pace due to obvious budget constraints. I have been told the budget only allowed for a further 85 officers to be brought in.

I never sought clarity but in my discussion with my friend I meant Prepping/going to GV not as in just receiving vetting papers. Though I still do see that being some length of time.

This information I received from someone within the Policing Board after the previous weeks board meeting. I was told with this weeks meeting, there is potential for more information regarding recruitment to come forward.

I am only passing on the information I know, of course it could all be bull. However as time ticks on...

And there may be an intake for October but that's to do with the 2020 campaign which is now 2 years ago. This campaign hasn't even been touched.

I share everyone's frustrations in this process and hope some form of contact comes soon.

Advertisement