Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

They need to take 20k off the capacity and bump it up to over 21’s. Out in the carpark trying to get a bit of kip before we head off, feeling fairly meh about the whole festival tbh. Some great performances overall but probably the most underwhelming EP I’ve been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Back in my bed. Khruangbin at Salty Dog closed my festival not as impressive as earlier but still a nice sound to finish to. Went to perfume genius instead of start of arctics. He can be hit or miss but very hit tonight. Watched some of Arctics after that and thought they were very flat. Was great to see so many of you over the weekend really added to it. Need to take some time to think about me and the picnic as some great and not so great things in the mix. Will probably annoy you by putting it up here at some stage. Travel safe all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Thanks to everyone I meet over the weekend. I probably have another essay in me in response to the last page of posts. I'll see how I feel when I get back to a keyboard after tomorrow's cycle. Some of the content has changed having taken the long way around from Salty to Eco.

In short, despite some flaws this year compared to others, for me EP remains the best value festival in Ireland. On a rough count I've seen 60 acts for €170.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

The good

Had a great weekend pixies The scratch, thumper, king Kong Company and mango and mathman were the highlights for me

Mik Pyro was class on salty dog earlier too easily the most underrated Irish musician of his generation

Arctic's were the biggest surprise for me, my young Lad came over for them tonight and they were actually brilliant

Fontaine's on Friday just didn't do it for me can't really put my finger on it

Relaxed view on cans from family campsite was nice there were searches but more cause they had to than wanted to take anything from you

Crowd is young and I mostly avoided main stage bar today but I feel there is enough here to keep me for a few more editions

The bad

Lack of security was very obvious I walked back all 3 nights to family camping without a wristband check

Loads of people accidentally ended up in family camping as a result and then had a long trek back

Food and beer prices were over the top but that's every concert/festival

Lack of signage considering all the recent changes was shite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

reading these posts with interest. I must have gone to ten EPs beginning in 2004. I still get the FOMO but doubt I’ll go back with numbers as they are now. ATN and Body and Soul would suit us better.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

That a large tent was rammed full for The 2 Johnnies is a damning indictment of the demographic the EP has gone for

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

I'm not a fan but to be fair that's a massive gaa following they have, that's been at the picnic for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

Only went for Sunday - the signage was kack. Thankfully managed to find fishtown in time for mick flannery. Why would people go to the EP and fishtown and then try to talk at the top of their voices when there’s a giant field available to have a chat?

the queues for food and drinks terrible- the whole place way over crowded. Got stuck in the gridlock leaving somehow got a taxi home before I p!ssed myself, I won’t go again been at most since 2004 as am only out the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

I didn't go this year but I give the festival massive credit for the drug warning information they put out on social media, it may have saved lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wouldn’t be so sure about your last point

load of dodgy characters around this year.

Both in the town itself and in the festival. More than I remember any other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shiitstir

I went for the day on Saturday and yes, it's changed a lot. And let's be honest, it's been a big commercial pig for a good while now but the increased capacity this year has really shone a light on it.

My single biggest problem with it (and this too goes back years at this point) is that it's not relaxing to just 'be' there. Yes, you can find little pockets dotted around the venue to sit down and just enjoy the vibe, but the days of lounging around outside the Electric Arena with beer in hand, half listening and half talking, are long, long gone. The sheer number of branded stages and food and drink stalls pumping out the same music really grates. Unless you're standing in a large music tent or in front of the main stage, then you're caught in some sort of sound clash.

I can live with the line up being mostly not to my taste any more (if I want three days of 'my music' I can get that in Europe for half the price while wearing sandles) and the gangs of 22 year olds that people are complaining about don't bother me either. I was young once, too.

But it's the scale and the sheer noise and heft of the thing that has changed it beyond all recognition. At the Salty Dog, or deep in the woods or in the Mindfields area etc., it's mostly the same festival, but in the main area it's simply a different animal now.

Overall, the festival has had a fantastic run over the years. Some of the best line ups, ever, were in Stradbally, Co. Laois, of all places, year after year. I've some fantastic memories (Kraftwerk and a mouthful of Mexican truffles being a particular highlight). But for me this is the end of the road. I want a different type of festival experience and unfortunately that means packing a bag and giving up the luxury of being able to come home to my own bed each night. For everyone that did enjoy it, keep on enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

I had a great day yesterday. The tent survived the rain on Saturday, so that was great. Packed it up and got it in the car and back to the music by the start of the Bootleg Beach Boys, and then the Dublin Gospel Choir, both great ways to kick off the Sunday. Highlights for me were Mick Flannery & Susan O'Neill, and Khruangbin, for me the gig of the weekend. I kind of bounced around in between and took in Tolu Makay, Kynsey, CMAT, Joy Crooks, James Vincent McMurrow and some Snow Patrol.

I had planned to go to Artic Monkeys, but Khruangbin were so good, I felt I wanted to end on a high and headed to the car.

Overall I had a wonderful weekend. My feet feel more pounded than usual, and I tried to manage around the rain as I was nursing a cold and didn't want to get soaked, so I missed some late night things. I'll do the overall review separately, lots of positives and negatives. I will be back again next year, assuming loyalty codes work out.

One standout for me was meeting so many Boardsies, some I knew from 2019 and others new. It really enhanced my Picnic getting to know you more, standing alongside you at some band we both happened to be there for. Especially glad to be able to have some of those good conversations that you can only have in person. You guys know who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Re the gangs of 22 year olds - I dont have a problem with that either, and it would be a pretty dull festival if it was all 30 and 40 somethings.

Why I think people are criticising the EP is its apparent focus on the early 20s demographic to the effective exclusion of everyone else, so that it it is now more like the old Oxegen rather than the mixed-ages EP from ten years ago, or that Glastonbury still is.

I say that with the proviso that I wasn’t there this year, haven’t gone in ages, but based on what I’ve heard here and elsewhere and particularly on the line up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

When you see the likes of the blizzards, Picture This, dermot Kennedy and the 2 johnnies on the line up (I could go on and on) - it’s basically an updated version of oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I haven't been since 2018. I remember a massive surge/crush towards the main stage for Dua Lipa. The lineup was ebbing away in quality around then and looks like it's kept going south in terms of headliners albeit with some great alternative acts mentioned here. I can recall the old layout of the festival quite well - there was never these crazy queues for food and bevvies. Has the layout itself changed/expanded or have they just squashed more punters in?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would be illegal to impose a mandatory age limit like 21s

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

I think there is a common trend on the Monday after EP the last few years. The same complaints (some definitely valid / some maybe the fact you are getting older).

I'm 43 myself and going to festivals since around 2003. I'd disagree that it is Oxegen 2.0. Yes parts of it are similar for sure and it isn't EP 2005 anymore, but Oxegen never had Mind and Body, Salty Dog, Trailer Park, Hazel Wood, etc etc.

I live close-ish so I don't have to camp. I don't go near the main stage area at all unless it is an act I really really want to see. I'm usually successful at sneaking some cans in, I bring some of my own food (a big filled baguette roll can set up up for the day :)).

But if I didn't live close, I'd defo be doing my research on where I could camp away from the messiness. I can see how ATN would be way more attractive for many now.

Overall, I still think it is a great festival site in many ways. The land holds up really well there by and large. It is excellent for catching some up and coming acts in smaller stages. Fred Again on Friday night was class! As was Little Simz.

I'll be getting my loyalty ticket next week again. It is still great value for me personally in the amount of gigs I can catch and I think the vast majority of people down there (young and old) are decent folk in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭endainoz

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

No the relevant legislation states that licensed venues are allowed discriminate on the basis of age. A minimum of 18 after nine but they can set it at whatever level they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Shiitstir

Yeah I'd agree with that. It's not age per se. Rather, it's deliberately targeting a younger audience via the line up. Because there was always a bracket of young people at EP. I was one of the 22 years olds running around there in 2004! But due to older friends etc. I had a different taste in music and felt right at home and in fact I was there specifically for the music.

The promoters seem to know what they want and how to go about it. But for those of us that are misty eyed about the first 6 years or so, EP seems to have something of an identity crisis.

Take the Terminus stage last night. Headlined by Jeff Mills, old guard techno royalty, with support from Helena Hauff, new blood electro godess. Worthy of any electronic and dance tent anywhere in the world. Meanwhile the Electric Arena was apparently jammed for the 2 Johnnies who are 'big' in Ireland but wouldn't fill a taxi in Europe. I don't get. But I also don't begrudge it. More power to anyone that enjoyed themselves because its been a miserable few years and we all need to let off some steam. It just strikes me as very odd.

Previously, there was a through line between the line up, a golden thread the tied them all together. No matter the genre of music they all were natural bedfellows in some way. 2005 is a great example. Various shades of dance music, prestige electronic acts, hip hop and some related UK stuff, burgeoning rock gods like Arcade Fire. It worked and they all reinforced each other. The whole thing was about music believe it or not!

Anyway, I'm starting to complain and reminisce and I'm still too you to be doing that on a Monday morning, so I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭fafy

Was not much fun for a friend of mine,he’s 50’ish, he went to check them out. He recounted this to me:

After they said that, he felt several eyes on him, and this lady called him out as a “shade”, “c**t” and told her boyfriend who was more than 6’2, to take care of him. The boyfriend squared up, and was about to go for it, my friend is a big lad, and well able to take care of himself, words like hospital and kill, were mentioned. After a lot of verbal abuse, and the “boyfriend” still ready to throw a punch, He decided to leave the tent.So, not much fun for him at Kneecap.

How an act is allowed, to deliberately incite violence at a gig, is beyond me. Some people, actually take what they say seriously.

I didn’t witness this, allthough i was, concidentally, at the back of the tent, came in for opening few tracks, and left after that, as i thought they were s**t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

So who's getting loyalty tickets this weekend?

Or does ATN seems more appealing. I'm trying to figure this out myself.

Btw I missed EP this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Just came down for the Saturday and Sunday. Saturday night was great: the Scratch, For those I Love and Tame Impala all brilliant. Also saw some of RSAG and Rina Sawayama who were pretty decent. Sunday saw some dodgy comedy and left after CMAT whose appeal I still don't really get, but hey to each their own.

Been to EP probably 5 or 6 times since 2008 I'd say. It's changed a lot for sure. I think the point around who the target audience are is we'll made but at the same time the three main stage closing acts were very much aimed at the "older" music fan I'd say. Having said that I was shocked at how many young kids were at Tame Impala and knew all the words!

The main thing that annoys me is what one of the other posters said about the likes of the Heineken/Bacardi/Coke etc stages blasting out inane beats nonstop so there's no where to escape it and during quieter moments at other stages it's all you can hear. It's been like that for years but they seem to have squeezed more of them than ever in this year

That seems very unfortunate, I saw nothing like that in there. People were in there with babies like. I saw nothing intimidating or violence inciting about the show either, they went on about undercover cops for a bit but that was an into to the sniffer dogs are sh1te song. Thankfully saw zero trouble in there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s not a licensed venue though. The bars are licensed, not the whole venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Tickets on sale this Saturday for 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

I noticed that also. We went into Stradbally each day for breakfast and to pick up stuff in SuperValu and I noticed a lot of dodgy looking types hanging around the place.

The entire event is licenced. What do you think subject to license means? They could implement whatever age policy they want. If could be over 75s for all they care, if just down to policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭fafy

Ya, i should be, had a great time overall. You just have to make the best of bad weather. EP’s choice tops everything.

A great variety of acts, i deliberately went to acts i had not seen before, like :

Little Simz, Fred Again, Fontaines DC, Khruangbin, Wolf Alice, CVC, Naked Lungs, Thumper, Bright Eyes, Wolf Alice.

The two absolute standouts for me, were :Fred Again & Wolf Alice

Food wise, a very good variety, although tricky with the much longer q’s on Sunday.

For beer, i got cans in, Thursday to Saturday, so only actually bought a few pints from Sunday afternoon. Pink Moon was also very handy for leaving arena for a break, as its not that long a walk, and having a few cans in there, and then returning. The large Coleman Ultra Marine cool box, turned out to be a real star performer, still had the cans cold, on Sunday afternoon, after a final ice top up Thursday, at about 1pm in Portlaoise.

Advertisement