Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 year old twins and their 18 year old sister murdered in tallaght

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Horrific reading that article, like a horror movie. Emergency services on the scene must be traumatized after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Confused11811

I don't normally comment on threads like this but I'm sick of hearing this mental health BS ... I'm not having a go at you but this was entirely avoidable.

If what I've been informed about the murderers past is true there is no way he should have been out on the street to begin with. A huge list of previous convictions including some violence towards others. It'll all come out soon enough, but soft touch justice system and lifestyle choices shaped this event.

Garda and other officials of the justice system must be sick that previous efforts at dealing with the suspect to have him locked up weren't addressed properly by the court and prison system.

The murderer has blood on his hands but the system that let him run free has responsibility too. But our justice minister will probably push another line in the media rather than take responsibility for the inactions of the justice system under her watch.

Again I'm not having a go at you but this situation was avoidable and mental health supports weren't an issue here, it was the murderer and the justice system that dealt with him.

Post edited by Confused11811 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

What extra details are in the Tabloid report that are not in reports in the Irish Times / Indo.

I reluctantly clicked on the link to The Sun (never sold or read in Liverpool) and unless I have a sudden inability to read or there's some magical invisible print there that only you can see, there's no extra information there.

Yes, they have made the story more gory and more descriptive but that's what tabloid do. Whether those gory and descriptive parts are true is of no consequence whatsoever for a Tabloid "journalist", Especially a toilet rag like the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Couldn’t agree more.

There most definitely are genuine people that struggle with mental health. But the majority of people committing crimes and then blaming mental health are only using it as a get out of jail clause because they know it’s frowned upon to question anyone that says they’ve any issue with mental health.

Being a Guard nowadays must be an absolutely soul destroying job. Catch criminals, bring them to court and then watch them walking the streets again that evening due to a f**ked up justice system and their suspended sentences.

The man that committed these horrendous murders shouldn’t have been out on the streets and I’d say if you were to ask any guard in the local area about him they’d confirm that.

The justice system needs serious overhauling and if it’s a lack of prison spaces that’s the problem then more prisons need to be built. I’d rather see tax payers money going to that than going to solicitors, barristers and judges thanks to our “free legal aid” culture. And forget about building them like hotels with all the mod cons, that’s not going to deter the majority of them from being in there, a prison should be punishment for a crime, not a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

and yet you've had a dig in your post. The lack of respect for the family in this thread is shocking, and disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I hate these type of cases. Hearing about the boy who escaped today on the radio was so heartbreaking, he has a hard road ahead of him coming to terms with what happened.

The murder of children is not a crime associated with any one particular socioeconomic group or ethnicity in Ireland. Linking these murders to a particular culture is completely out of order IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

looks like the Irish equivalent had caught up after a few hours. The machete was news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was thinking HOW COULD ANY HUMAN BEING DO THIS TO CHILDREN,, so thank you. No human in his right senses could

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

horrible things being said on social media like why the neighbours filmed the children lying dead outside it was more than likely someone from outside the area who came to see

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Ah here. Come on. Do we need a court to officially decide that the sky is blue too before we are allowed to say it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You're making an awful lot of assumptions here, about his past record and dealings with the justice system.

However, even if it's all true, and we say that this guy should have spent all his adult life behind bars, he has to come out eventually and what do you think he'd be like when he did? You think he'd be rehabilitated and a productive member of society?

This isn't a hardened criminal who robbed another post office while on bail. This is a guy who murderered eight year old children with a machete. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there is indeed a mental illness at issue here.

Blaming the courts or justice system here is way off base.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

We know they were killed. It seems we know who most likely killed them.

What we don’t know is the mental state of the killer. There’s potentially a big difference between murder and manslaughter.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

threadbanned:

horse7

TooTired123

walshb

In addition, this is not a discussion of the traveller community. It's a discussion of the horrific killing of 3 young people

Any questions PM me

Travellied to the house, barricaded the door shut, and stabbed 3 people to death.

I’m glad that I’m not the only poster who finds that aspect (“Of all the places in the world”) bewildering to a certain extent. It’s something we need to move past and we can only do that by looking at ourselves more clearly

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Yeah I'm not shocked that it took place in Dublin. It's the most populated place in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I just hope the rest of the family get all the support they can get, i couldn't even imagine the pain they will go through. I think any adult who recorded and shared sounds and sights from the event should also be prosecuted.

Prosecuted with what offence?

You can't just prosecute people willy nilly for made up offences that don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,749 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did he arrive in a taxi with a machete?

Also it is true he was an Uncle to the victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Confused11811

No assumptions on my part. He shouldn't have been on the street to begin with but a judge and the legal system let him out on bail while accused of other serious crimes. It'll all come out but some will say he was a hardened criminal prior to these murders. Others will say multiple convictions and previous violence towards others doesn't give an indication that he was capable of such horrible crimes. Others will say when you have a criminal who's capable of being violent and fond of drink/drug anything is possible. These are lifestyle choices and not mental health issues.

The justice system has a responsibility to protect society from criminals, rehabilitation programs within the current system are non existent for the majority of prisoners. Rehabilitation program can work but there's no resources within the current system, especially for drug misuse. It's possible to champion the cause of rehabilitation of prisoners which is very nobile but it you can still question the states current ability to provide rehabilitation services to prisoners. It's very much the responsibility of the the justice minister and the court systems to ensure criminals are locked up and if required in rehabilitation programs. If rehabilitation programs aren't available or the criminal doesn't engage the the responsibility is to protect the rest of society. In this horrible case it didn't happen, a previous violent criminal on bail committed the most horrible acts imaginable and is often the case the family of criminal where victims.

I don't pretend to know the answers but saying this was a mental health issues and not an issue which partly involved the failure of the criminal and justice system does a massive disservice to the victims, the local community and society in general.

When there is an obvious failure in the system such as this horrible event we should all demand better from those given responsibility and the system put in place to protect society.

Just to be 100% clear I don't aim any criticism at the Garda here. They've done their job time and time again but let down by others. Many of them will be feeling absolute dispair at the events in Tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,749 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

During the stand-off, the man threw Chelsea and Christy out of a window after they had already suffered catastrophic stab injuries. Gardai eventually fired non-lethal rounds at the suspect, and were able to access the house, where they then discovered a man hiding in the attic.

Locals described seeing gardai “dragging” a man out of the house as the children, Lisa and their mother ‘Twink’, who arrived at the scene, were rushed to hospital. 

DublinLive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Taxi and machete are mentioned in the news reports, though some mention a knife instead. I don’t think the identity of the arrested person has been confirmed, so I’m not quite sure why everyone is frothing at the mouth already about tougher sentences etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

EDIT: Apologies, wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

And don’t forget RTÉ and ‘Scare’ Byrne.

First item on the show and a ‘details which some of you may find distressing’ warning which let’s face it has the nation’s ghouls running to the radio to turn up the volume.

I’m not looking for a pat on the back but I turned off the radio immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,532 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's just a shame Gardai had to use non lethal methods to apprehend the him.

The justice system in this state is broke. Might be time to bring in mandatory sentencing, whole-life terms, and one big prison where the prisoners are segregated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Don't care about the killers ethic background be it traveller, settled, black, white, asian etc... it doesn't matter a jot and i take no heed. He's a dirty evil human being and i hope he rots in jail for the entirety of his remaining life.

Also don't think now is the time or place to go into deep conversations about mental health, poor upbringing, drugs or whatever else to try and decipher the reasons behind the murders. Some people are just born evil and of are no worth to society at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Absolutely horrendous story, one of the worst I've ever come across in Ireland. There are literally no words....

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

Some of the comments here are out of order.

The family have suffered a horrific loss, there are very small kids involved which makes it even more tragic. They deserve as much respect as anyone else, to lose 3 siblings on one day in such horrific circumstances is unimaginable.

It's not just the family but the neighbours, kid's friends, witnesses, and the emergency responders. The whole thing is horrific.

Not the time or place for anything other than condolences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I am not going to quote any post, but by God, some people would really need to have a good look at themselves and their conduct.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement