Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Man Videoing Garda Stations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

I think you're mixed up there. Initially when I read through this I thought he would be attention seeking and provoking but I thought he was measured and reasonable. The guards came across awfully. Intimidating and making up laws on the spot. Clearly shows the abuse of power that they use on a daily basis as it kicks in without thinking.

It's no harm to have this 'audit' as a re-education is long overdue for the Gardai when dealing with the public. A lot of them behave like prehistoric old school bullies and have poor communication and de-escalation skills which only fan the flames in a lot of situations. I understand in certain situations a show of force is needed but this wasn't in the slightest confrontational until they tried to make it so...possibly to engineer an arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

Thanks for posting that. I totally detest the cycling ones, and will not give them my clicks. This, I have no problem watching.

As an aside, do some people on this thread really not realise that this is a money making venture? Responses = €€€s

The Irishtown guards seem really dense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Saw some of the Lucan one..

the guy is looking at the ""Ring Bell for Attention"" button and you can almost feel him burning up inside because he wants to press it for attention......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It's a pity he isn't available to do one these "audits" outside Tallaght Garda Station this morning.

Pretty certain they'd live to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Gardai don't do themselves any favours in that video.

If it's an offence all they had to do was state what it was and under what section. If he's obliged to provide them info then again, under section whatever.

Much simpler and would have ended this interaction there and then. Instead they go for this confrontational/intimidating approach but clearly have no legal basis for it by their evasive responses when specifically asked.

While I question the value of filming Garda stations in itself, this highlights the gaps in their interactions with the public and their overreliance on vague references and intimidation to bully their way though an interaction.

• Advertisement

• What an absolute waste of sperm that fella is. One thing for sure, judging by the comments on his video he has loads of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

What's the point of what he is doing? Genuinely trying to understand what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Maybe he can buy himself some neurofen and cough drops - he has an awful blocked nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

If he was really a responsible concerned citizen he'd blur out those Number Plates of the Garda personal veichles.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 d12crew

Why sure he doesn't have access to pulse system,ndls or the tax office, no-one has a right to privacy in public, anything the eye can see is legal to record, hopefully more of this kinda thing to educate and keep them on their toes.

This all started in America I believe, centered around the first amendment right to film police officers in their line of duty.

I can understand why subsequent videos appeared online as the Americans take their first amendment rights very seriously. They call it a first amendment “audit”- ie to see if the officers respond appropriately and don’t harrass the video guy or try to identify him or even arrest him- they’res some pretty pissed off officers on YouTube 😂

Doing it on this side of the water though is just stupid - I think the guards know about this kind of behaviour and know it’s best to avoid confrontation or even discussion of any kind - saying that wasn’t there a case a number of years ago where guards tried to arrest someone filming or confiscate a phone on a public street where another arrest was in progress? I don’t like that either- we’re either permitted to film in public or we’re not- if we are then leave us alone

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

Yeah, there probably isn't a law against filming a garda station. I wouldn't mind if such a law existed though. If I wanted to report an attack on me by somebody I knew - or domestic abuse, I might be reluctant if I thought there could be a video of me entering the station going up on Youtube.

The guy was probably within his rights, but that doesn't mean he's not a plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

For any of that to happen they would have to either know you follow you stalk you. Following someone to the station filming them I wager would fall under stalking. Sitting outside the courts Garda station film to your heart's content nothing illegal about it.

Yeah, just coz you “can” doesn’t mean you “should”

And to think, there’s many guards in Tallaght Garda station today where one of those videos were filmed, traumatised by what they had to deal with this weekend with the deaths if those poor children- it’s not fair to stick a camera in the face of a guard who’s just minding their own business and going about their lawful work- you’re just looking for trouble- what if this guy were subsequently attacked on the street by some thug - he’d be happy to give his name to Gardai at that point wouldn’t he?

he’s a total ass-hole

• Registered Users Posts: 15,114 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's an interesting point.

In his videos the Garda stations were quiet and no members of the public were present.

They are not always like that and people with all sorts of problems or issues end up in them for one reason or another.

Sometimes people in custody are brought through the front door, often in handcuffs.

These people may never be charged or if charged be found not guilty but might feature on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

How would they know what your business in the police station was? You could be going in for a Garda vetting form or passport witnessing or anything equally as mundane.

To reiterate, I’m not a fan of this guy or the way he goes about things. However he hasn’t done anything illegal in fairness, and I don’t see any harm in seeing how the Gardaí respond to this - from what we’ve seen their response has been poor, with either ignorance of the law or making up the law to suit them on display. They have a very important job and wield considerable power over the average citizen. They should be held to a high standard and rightly so.

• Advertisement

They're checking the sanctity of a piece of legislation from the 1930s which clarified what the words "time of war" mean?

Pretty bizarre for an English lightning rod for controversy would have to come to Ireland to talk about American legislation. Bloke needs to get a hobby, or people need to stop clicking on his YT videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,239 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I do not agree with this at all. It's a Garda station. Security has to be looked at here.

Who is the person, why is he doing what he's doing etc. Law enforcement need to make sure that security is paramount.

He is a public nuisance, but what if people were more sinister here. Scoping out and gathering information etc, with plans to cause trouble or do damage etc.

I think it's absurd to think people can carry on like this and not expect to face challenges or arresting.

Unless someone provides a law making this illegal nothing can be done. You can take pictures film to your heart's content until they say your loitering then you may need to move on. But if you keep moving from one side of the street to the other cant even get you on that. Why pickets move.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 d12crew

Auditing Britain is the most popular English auditor some are hilarious and has got a few payouts and apologies for being arrested wrongly under the terrisom act for simply videoing a police station from public, another is dj audits who mostly does any private building with his drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,114 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are correct most people going to a Garda Station are there for a fairly mundane reason

But sometimes people who attend at Garda Stations are under a lot of pressure or going through trauma of some sort.

Their business can become very public as they struggle to come to terms with the situation they find themselves in.

As for our cameraman I don't think we should be relying on his likes to hold members of AGS to account.

We already have the AGS management structure, The Garda Siochana Inspectorate, The Policing Authority and GSOC.

That last sentence gave me a huge laugh. What happened over the penalty points or breathalysers. We know full well what they do to whistle blowers.

Look, your man's a spanner, nobody is denying that and most/all of these auditors are essentially only looking for Youtube money for attracting the same reprobates that subscribe to the "freemen of the land" ethos. Idiots, mostly, both the content creators and the viewers. There's a half-decent one called Auditing the Auditors, which reviews these videos and gives a factual, law-based review of what everyone says and claims in the videos, well worth checking out as he doesn't always side with the cammers.

However, keeping the Gardaí on their toes is a worthwhile and welcome cause. They SHOULD be able to handle simple questions like that. They SHOULD know the laws they're charged with upholding. They SHOULD be able to articulate what sections of which acts you have broken. In fact, they HAVE to. It's their entire job, FFS.

For too long, we've been putting up with the absolute corruption in our jokeshop of a police service. Idiots who can barely tie their shoes trying to tell you that the reason you can't be here is because he said so. Pricks who were bullied in school and now get a chance to dole it out for a change. Anyone with any sort of regular interactions with them will know they are not our best and brightest. The fact you think GSOC hold them to account is disgustingly hilarious.

The gardaí appeared to lack knowledge of the law surrounding this area and instead just resorted to bully/intimidation tactics to try and cow him. That or they knew he wasn’t actually breaking any laws but tried to pretend that he was in order to raise a threat of prosecution.

This is from earlier in the thread and is 100% the way they operate and have done for decades. Bully others into submission because you've got a badge and a squad car full of 17 stone corner backs who nearly failed the leaving behind you. Intimidation and coercion is the order of the day. Bully boy tactics they picked up from the dinosaurs who went before them. The more of them that are modifying their approach to the public in case they're being records, the better.

I've a mate who lived near Croker years ago. We came back from a festival one weekend and the taxi had to drop him off at the barriers they put up to stop non-ticket holders getting near the ground. Wouldn't let the car through. He got out and stared to walk through when one of the GAA heads physically stopped him from passing the barrier. Given the frustration of having to walk the last 10 mins home after a 3 day bender, he informed your man that if he put his hands on him again, he'd consider it assault and would defend himself accordingly. Your man went bananas, calling a Garda over to arrest him for his words.

"where do you think you're going?"

"none of your business, but I'm goin home"

"where's that?"

"again, none of your business, but it's [street name]"

"Where's your i.d. to prove that?"

He started taking out his drivers' licence but stopped......

"Hang on a bleedin second, I've no problem answering some of your questions as a matter of courtesy, but he's not even a member of the emergency services. He has no right to stop me from doing anything, any more than I do him. Similarly, you've no right to demand to see my I.D. because I want to go somewhere. There's no legal basis for it, but yet you're telling me that if my licence was at home I'd have to wait for the two matched to be over before I'm allowed home? In fact, WHO THE FCUK ARE YOU? AREN'T YOU REQUIRED TO PROVIDE PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION ON REQUEST? WHERE'S YOUR POXY I.D., pal?

"G'wan so, go ahead...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

That's Irishtown Garda Station and the video is months old OP, its done the rounds already.

A waste of his own time and the Garda's.

And the bloke is English, London rap accent , init ..... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

So if it's someone you don't know it's a "freemen of the land" ethos. Idiots,

But if it's someone you do know it's a "friend just going home after a 3 day bender"

Good moral consistency there 👍️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭francois

Wht do you expect from the nation that invented train spotting

Advertisement