Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmeath school gets temporary injunction banning a suspended teacher from it's premises

Options

Comments

I think for some one who asserted a false claim with great gusto you should be more careful in posting. I’ve stated the point repeatedly and clearly that if a case could be established that the ethos of a particular religious school runs counter to the law of the land we have a right mess about public funding of religious schools. I’ve said repeatedly that I believe Mr Burke’s case may not be it. I can’t make it simpler than that. And I’ve said all this before.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Mid twenties at most.

He and another sibling had their run ins with NUIG as Students about 3 years ago , so he's not that long out of College.

His families entire raison d'etre is finding hills to die on.

There have been at least 4 high profile cases involving the family in the last few years.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Doubt it. He has an older sister who is a teacher in a different school, and by all accounts is well-liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

My Dad used to answer that with, "no, thank you."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

No, you said CoI Bishops. Put the goalposts back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭Tow

There are no issues with this school and the law of the land. The problem is with a Burke doing on a uncontrolled rant, much the same as his sister did when not invited to a lunch.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think that will prove to be the case. I doubt he will even get ethos into play and even if he did no church authority will want it opened up for reasons of giving the increasingly secular public a stick to beat them with over public funding of such schools. A statement under oath from a governor might do the trick. Of course, that might trigger something else within the CoI. But I doubt it. Wrong hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Why did the school employ Burke ? Surely a basic background check would have showed what him and his family are like ??? A simple rejection letter would have then sufficed ? " Unfortunately Mr. Burke you were unsuccessful at this time. We wish you well in all your future endeavours etc etc....

I feel sorry for everyone involved at the school.

Post edited by Ashbourne hoop on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly..

Who went "Should we hire the guy that tried and failed to sue his university for Religious persecution or will we hire this other candidate with absolutely zero baggage attached" and decided , "Religious Persecution guy it is!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭Tow

Having gone to both COI and Catholic schools, I would always view a COI school as being the more liberal. It would appear the art of compromise and knowing to keep your mouth shut was missing from their home education. I am left wondering how Mrs Burke taught her children to solve arguments between them selves and/or their parents. I suspect they are somewhere on the autistic spectrum. Geniuses, but not well adjusted.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

i think you would be incorrect in a lot of presumptions there.

they are behaving exactly as they intend and individual victories are not the aim- or they would have changed tack by now.

religious fundamentalism of this type may be rare in ireland but its not historically unknown here - santry postwomen for starters- and its not like the westboro baptist church doesnt exist as a template abroad either.

all they want is publicity for their self righteousness in the cause of control of others under the guise of a very particularly stringent inability to compromise on a narrow interpretation of the chosen words of a chosen god. nothing strange about it, alas.

plenty of others happy to disrupt society for causes just as silly, of course.

where they get the money from, thats one question. whether they keep getting away with it is the other.

I don't think they're being asked to transition so pretty clearly not remotely the same as getting a Muslim to eat pork. Asking them to have human decency and recognizing a person by their chosen name isn't that outrageous...

The issue of "compulsion" isn't really the point though. He was asked to do something completely legal by his employer which he then refused and has since then gone on a rampage of disruptive behaviour

To follow your Muslim/pork analogy - If a Muslim chef was working in in a restaurant that historically sold vegetarian food but then the management decided that they needed to cater to wider clientele so they add meat to the menu , including pork. If the management go to him and say "Can you prep and serve our new Menu?" and he says that he cannot due to his religious convictions , he's not being "religiously persecuted".

They might be able to come to an accommodation with him and say "listen you can continue to prep the veggie dishes over at that station and not have to be involved in the meat prep if that works" which might be acceptable , but if it wasn't and the guy felt he had to leave then again that's not compulsion or constructive dismissal or whatever , it's just how things work out sometime. I'm sure the owners would give him a great reference to help him get a new job as well.

Now , if the Chef went out into the dining room and started shouting at all the customers about how they were disgusting for eating meat and how they were all going to hell etc. etc. , the owners would be perfectly entitled to fire him on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Human decency though is subjective.

I think this case does pose a legal question; teachers right to religious beliefs are protected by law but I'm not sure that students belief is protected by any law.

It's a pity that it's a child is at the centre of this. It would be much better to have this tested in the courts with adults only.

We can all have our opinions on Burke but I don't think the law has caught up with public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Which, I presume is entirely why Mr Burke is at what he's at .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Mary Elizabeth Truss is now Prime Minister. It must be blasphemous to call her Liz 😶

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It's quite common, they are called Fa’afafine and Fa’afatama

This link describes it.

The Tuilagi family - they of Rugby fame, have a sibling who identifies as a third gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

You cannot be compelled to change your beliefs. You are simply being asked to accept that some people identify as a gender different to that assigned to them at birth. You do not have to believe that "they are an actual literal woman".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,513 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It is not often I feel sorry for the inmates of Mountyjoy prison but this might be one of those times. imagine sharing a cell with that pain in the hoop.

So , how does this work?

He stays there until he promises the court that he won't break the terms of the Injunction?

An Injunction that he broke 4 days running following it's issuance last Tuesday - He went to the school Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and was finally arrested after turning up again on Monday.

Surely that promise should it be forthcoming, is bordering on worthless at this point?

Also , what happens if he does do it again ?

if he purges his contempt and breaks the injunction again he goes back to mountjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I can't stand the guy or his family, but it does raise questions about how far you go to suspend belief. Should we really allow a situation to develop here where 0.000001% get to dictate parlance for the majority? There is nothing to be gained by complying with this ( apart from 1 student out of 400/500 not getting his/hers/theirs/its feelings hurt) but when did that become the norm? When did the whims and feelings of 1 person out of 30 become paramount over fact reason and logic?

Edit: Don't even try asking this on the Reddit thread because they don't like loud noises in the echo chamber over there. Poor cretins will be shocked when they leave college and enter the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,513 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Some prisoners often share the views of Enoch in my experience.

They might be there for robbing people blind or killing somebody but they've a strong faith and no what's against God!

Hang on - you said you're ok with their being allowed to exist (very nice of you) and then refer to their existence as a "charade"...?

Of course it's about compliance. People have to comply with human rights enactments and laws - always have. It's nothing new.

Finally, not about transgender as you well know. It's about how state employees treat people in their charge - by the kids, vulnerable people, minorites, customers, whatever. And if it'd not with respect, they get fired, suspended, and so on. Same as any other job.

• Advertisement

Well that's one way of cutting back on your electricity bill...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement