Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bichonfrise7

Thank you :)

Yes, I totally agree with that. I mentioned him on this previous to getting my results. For one of my answers he wouldn't let me use examples from my current job to demonstrate i already had the skills he was asking about. He only wanted to talk about what could hypothetically happen in the future in a non-explained role, in a non-explained department. I've never had an interview where you're not allowed to discuss your current skills/experience. He genuinely said "I don't want to hear about your current job" in the most rudest way. The interview was absolutely bizarre, I've honestly experienced nothing like it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 amo22

I also got thrown off with the one interviewer asking hypothetical questions and rudely interrupting every answer. Not the general style of competency based interviews. Would be interesting to see if it was just 1 inexperienced interviewer or if the interview style has altered for these comps….

I think it would be good for everyone who failed with this particular interviewer to put in an appeal/complaint, as it gives more creditably to the individual complaints and hopefully he won't be on any interview panels again. Because the guy absolutely was not a competent interviewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 bichonfrise7

Yeah, hopefully it might change something and some results are changed. Was it the same guy interviewing on everyone who failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭HDonal

Hopefully they see sense, and you are given the benefit of the doubt, over the opinion of a seemingly inexperienced interviewer.

As a poster above said, everyone this happened to should definitely appeal. Hopefully they recognise the pattern are sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lynnington3

I know someone Who had an interview lately for Dublin and she said it was more like a chat, very little competency asking, I’ll have to ask did she pass after hearing about this interviewer

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

Oh jeez it sounds awkward now. Sorry about yer interviews lads. Can ye give the rest of us an example of the hypothetical questions you got?

Not that it matters because I'm not in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ThatfeelingwhenI

This was what annoyed me the most. He wouldn't even let anyone use the examples that they had prepared, when all the public service interview advice highlighted the importance of example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Watermelonsugar

This does not sound right so many failed on competencies yet were not given a competency based interview or a chance to give examples.

For anyone that's making an appeal/complaint, here's how to do it here:

You need to do it within 5 days of today's results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

It happens. Last one I applied for I was 5 marks off the qualifying score. Look for feedback, learn from it, and apply the next time. There are loads of vacancies. Everyone who joined the service in 1980 when there was a huge recruiting campaign are all reaching retirement age now, and many more took the opportunity to review their life circumstances after Covid and have retired early..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Hanfam11

I had failed the interview in the 2020 competition, found it very difficult. The interviewers were 25 mins late coming on and then only lasted 20 mins. I felt like they didn't let me speak at all, and then there was a lot of connection difficulties and by the time it would reconnect they would just move on without letting me answer. I had spent so long preparing my competencies and they didn't ask me any relevant questions to use them. She started asking the question for the 4th competency and then said oh you've actually already answered that so I don't even need to ask you this question but then failed me on that competency which I felt was very unfair. I'm expecting to be interviewed in the next batch and absolutely dreading it already as it sounds similar to my last one and I don't feel like there's anyway to properly prepare given that it doesn't seem to tie in with the competencies they tell you to prepare. Very disheartened hearing other people's feedback so far. They don't seem to be giving people a fair chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markandwage

Did anybody actually pass the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Iggy1986

Sorry to hear about the interview results people, this seems very odd. As previous posters mentioned it’s worth appealing if as it seems one interviewer seemed completely unfair. They do need to stick to the rules of a competency based interview.

I did the interview in 2018 and it was very straightforward, panel were lovely and I remember on boards at the time that the majority of people passed so this is quite peculiar. Will be called soon for interview so nervous enough after reading these comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsallabit

Yes and delighted 3rd go at this. I think I had different interviewers was definitely competency based and although I was hurried a bit didn’t get any off the wall questions. Only Kind of hypothetical question was about how I might fit into a new department.

for anyone that didn’t pass I know how gutting it is but don’t give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Stranger Things

Can I apply for comms officer aswell as EO or can only do one at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

You can as @Jaffa20 said once you qualify. I’m in 2 other comps at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭cizolin

Hi All, best of luck with the interview/applications...would anyone know when this opens up again for people to apply, would it be 2023 or later this year

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭HDonal

If it's like the 2020 campaign it'll run for two years, so 2024. But I'm open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 17 corcaigh97

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any information as to the next steps following interview. I was placed OOM 16 following this and I was wondering is there anything that I should start to get in order.

I’ve applied for police clearance in the two countries that I have lived in for more than six months. Do I just wait for further instruction now? Also, is there any idea as to time frame or how the next few weeks should play out? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭furrybones

The 2022 information booklet states "It is not envisaged that appointments will be made from this competition after 30 June 2024." So the next campaign probably won't open for applications until early 2024

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

I've just sent off my request for an informal review. Just remember, you only have 5 working days to submit a request for review or a complaint.

PAS will issue your clearance form. Once thats done generally a week or two, you should get your offer.

Best of luck I have heard of people requesting a review and getting a pass fingers crossed 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shkyboy123

Hi all, my OOM is 495 can anyone give me an idea of when i should be called for an interview?

For anyone doing an appeal, after you email, you'll get sent a form to fill in and it's this that needs to be in on Friday.

They don't need to know reasoning at this stage. They just need that when you're requesting the formal appeal.

For the informal appeal, they just need to know exactly what you're appeal, then they send on the material and then you give your reasoning for formal appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭apkmbarry

Having had one interview in my whole life, hearing everyones bad experiences is not exactly ideal 🤐

Advertisement