Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wouldn't chance that unless I had a written confirmation. All the emails / info from utility companies I have seen state clearly that if you have refused a smart meter in the past, you will not get deemed export

I would have thought that having accepted a smart meter first and then rejected it after and had it removed and had a day night meter installed would be even worse. But hey, you never know in this country 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You could make the argument that you didn't "refuse" a smart meter. You simply requested something that a smart meter can't deliver

It isn't the customers fault that ESBN are so inept they can't implement a proper night rate on a smart meter

Now whether you can get your supplier to agree with that argument is another battle 😬

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It's not the customers fault that the suppliers won't operate a reasonable/comparable tariff on smart meters.

The network charges for day night and smart meters are now the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think the theory is that you are not rejecting the smart meter, you are switching to a d/n tariff (as is your right) and hence the meter has to be swapped to support that, which THEN makes you ineligible for a smart meter and so you'll get put on deemed export after that.

I wouldn't be gambling any money on it all working out but it is plausible and he says that's what Energia have confirmed. We'll all wait with interest to see how ELM gets on with it. Seems he is the Guinea pig here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

@unkel it doesn’t exclude you from deemed FIT… I thought it did but it does not. MCC02 customers are not eligible for smart meter rollout yet so as long as that continues you will get the Fit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My panels are going in on Monday so once the nc06 goes in with Mondays date on it illl be getting fit (the deemed fit based on 8.1kWp and 6kW invertor, not sure of the exact calculation) from that date

Ive confirmation from energia about this as well and it ties in with my own reading of the wording of the schemes. As I say. Initially I didn’t expect to get the deemed fit. Whatever happens I’ll update here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

according to a CRU doc, MMC02 meters are *meant* to be included in the roll out from Jan. 2022, but then again, that's just on paper...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭spose

Anyone been able to swap quickly from a smart meter to D/N meter recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

I don't see how this is ESBN issue. supplier sets the tariff for the night time hours.. none of them have set it much lower than the day rate, but nothing stopping them far as I know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

but nothing stopping them far as I know?

Apart from greed maybe...

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Same here was wondering what would happen - BG emailed saying I would be paid a FIT as per the smart meter readout- I didn’t think the smart meter that was installed a few years ago was actually equipped to do that - can you tell from looking at the meter? it is gas that determines what plan I get as I use about 20 times more gas than electricity so in reality always BG as I assume they are still the cheapest for gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Background. I have a smart meter with 24 hour tariff, 1 EV with another on the way and 4.5kWp solar with no battery.

I cancelled Energia on Friday and moved to BG to get the 2-5am cheaper rate, then they upped the price, but they were still cheaper than any other smart rate. I got a call from Energia today, they suggested without any prompt from me that I should move to the Day/Night meter tariff and stay with them, that they will put in for the change of meter and that they have done this for multiple other smart meter customers recently.

I was fairly shocked as the girl I was talking to seemed to actually know what she was talking about, I brought up that the reason I had not already done that was because I had solar and didn't want to lose the FIT. She confirmed that I would lose the exact metered FIT payment but that I would be still eligible for the CRU calculated rate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

"I got a call from Energia today, they suggested without any prompt from me that I should move to the Day/Night meter tariff and stay with them, that they will put in for the change of meter"

100% what you should do, especially with a 2 EV household

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Coming back to this for update.

I emailed ESB - and they came back saying "no NC6 on file". I contacted my installer (who to be fair replied within minutes) and they said they will submit an NC6 now with my correct install date. Not clear if it was missed or not.

The installer confirmed that the SEAI grant and the ESB NC6 form are two seperate transactions - so quite possible to have one "complete" without the other. Kicking myself for not checking up on the NC6 form along time ago - but i didnt think I needed to.

The installer said this has happened in the past - not sure if its ESB side or what. I am sceptical that I will get back-paid on this now - but maybe if there is still enough time before the official payment date maybe I will still get 2022 payment - otherwise i guess it starts from now. I will update for sure if i do. :)

Thanks @KCross for the heads up!

I wonder how many others will hit this. I could not swear to it, but I think a copy/photo of the nc6 was part of the submission for the grant.

I went to look for mine to figure out the deemed export, but the SEAI had removed all the attachments.

I have a local digital copy somewhere but had not gotten round to hunting it down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

They also never got mine at the time of the install so I chased them up last year shortly after the installation when stupid me pushed ESBN to put in the smart meter as FIT was coming 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chancer20

Yes, NC6 is on the list of documents needed to pay out the grant. (Just checked mine as I'm waiting to be paid still).

Ok Thats different to what the installer told me - but im totally in the dark tbh as they applied for the grant on my behalf. I did get confirmation grant was paid - but the docs on the SEAI site have been "removed to sharepoint for cleanup". :(

Energia 33.5% on electricity units, 29% on eab so need to wait for details

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0907/1321108-energia-price-hikes/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I put my solar in without any grant about a year ago ( house didn't qualify )

Is there something I have to get my installer to do to insure I get the deemed FIT ?

thanks

send esbnetworks@esb.ie the nc6 form is one thing anyways. even if u dont DIY - best to email the ESB to confirm this! I found out it wasnt sent in (detais in the thread somewhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Have Energia contacted customers about FIT yet? They messed up the €200 government credit on me which means I didn’t get it. I don’t want it to happen with this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

not yet, it'll be towards end of year i expect

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Here's an idea for people with large batteries and FIT - and a calculation that I have seen no one do so far.

In summer when you get a couple of cracking days with 30-40kwh, if during the mornings there's loads of battery left, why not dump it all onto the grid that night?

In theory I could do that today, battery at 80% right now and tomorrow estimate is 34kwh (for now) but on a d/n and I had the smart meter thrown out so makes no sense for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

I did wonder was this the way the go

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Aye, FIT is a lucrative business! If you're on Energia's EV plan and you signed up before a week or two ago, you pay 8c night rate and get 14c FIT. So it makes sense to fill up your battery every night and dump whatever you don't need onto the grid.

Also switch off or sell your immersion diverter and your EV diverter. Sell all your excess to the grid anb charge your car and heat your water at night

Win win for every one because if this is done at a large scale, the government can decommission a few gas (peaker) / oil plants

Mind, that €200 tax free exemption will be reached very quickly when you have a large system. Above that, you will have to pay income tax at your marginal rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Cause you'd lose out on the 10%-15% of so that it took to fill the battery.

Think of it this way. Lets say your battery was 100% full, and for simplicity your house load was 0w, then every unit you generate will go out as a FIT and you'd get paid for it. However, if you have say a 10Kwhr battery, and it was empty, you will have to spend 11-12kwhr to fill it.

So in the case of dumping your battery you'd effectively be paying that "tax" a second time to fill it up, you filled it up yesterday and paid the tax then, and you dump it, to pay the tax again.

If you follow?

Edit: I see unkel's post above now, and what he mentions is correct, sort of like the Octopus tariff in the UK. What I was talking about was just purely using the sun as your method for filling the battery. In relation to this comment from SD.

In summer when you get a couple of cracking days with 30-40kwh, if during the mornings there's loads of battery left, why not dump it all onto the grid that night?

it's a slightly different question I was answering. But yeah, in theory you could charge up at 8c and dump into the grid at 14c. Make yourself a few quid a month.

Post edited by bullit_dodger on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Energia switch complete, 7.9c secured.

Final bill received from SSE and I've got €385 of credit due even after the early exit fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

PS for everyone planning to buy low and sell high, are you forgetting that the Energia EV plan only applies to day/night meters?

So you can export all you want, you're still only going to get the deemed rate.

Advertisement