Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Talked to a parent with a child in a nearby secondary school. Class size has doubled with half the class now not being able to speak English. The school is now a child minding service rather than a centre for education. The smart children and the ones with parents who can afford evening and weekend grinds will be fine. The rest just will have to go without education.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sure it was George Soros and Bill Gates what dunnit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Absolutely lost. No idea what you're talking about.

Is this an in joke I missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

reallt surprised leo didn’t take a few in , very surprised actually

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I met a the younger brother of a friend of mine last night, he was telling me that he has a Ukrainian couple staying with him. They have both got perfect English. They met each other in the centre while waiting to be housed. He has been living in Switzerland the last few years, and she was living somewhere else. Neither were living in Ukraine. The guy is from a Russian area of Ukraine and is pro-Russia, and has a Ukrainian passport. I don't know if the female is too. He was doing nothing in Switzerland when the war kicked off, heard about the refugee status that they could claim, and by talking, going online and asking around he decided that Ireland was the best option. Came over, met her in the centre and they agreed by posing as a couple they would get housed faster.

The guy who was telling me this doesn't seem to care either way, as he is getting €400 a month or whatever it is. I couldn't get my head around it at all. Like so many on here, he was all about the virtue signalling more than anything else. I didn't ask him why doesn't he report them, and kinda wish I did, even though I would be pretty sure it would be because he might lose the money, at least for a while. Also he doesn't know who he may get instead. So much for the vetting that is being done.

Couldn't give a sh*t if anyone believes it or not, I am sitting with a hangover from hell and have no interest in a back and forth on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sport Ireland, funded with public money, our money..

from their site…

“Sport Ireland is the authority tasked with the development of sport in Ireland. This includes participation in sport, high performance sport, anti-doping, coaching and the development of the Sport Ireland Campus”

Which is basically bôllocks…should change it to..” Sport Ireland used to be the above but we now accommodate Ukrainian people in the multimillion state of the art sporting facility so the majority of facilities are not available for the purpose they were set up for and paid for by the Irish taxpayers”.

if we didn’t need the airport to fly them in we’d probably have lobby groups wishing to take it over for accommodation centres in each terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

No interest in a back-and-forth on here, cos of your raging hangover, but you'll still post your anecdote essay and swear it's gospel. Sure. 🙄

No interest in a back and forth that could only be an attempt in vain at getting people like yourself to believe it, and I honestly couldn't give a toss if you do or not. It was posted for others in the thread, who like me are interested as to how much of an actual shambles this is, and how really utterly useless the government and the people in charge of vetting them are. It's not actually that we don't know it, but every so often some information like that crops up and makes us realise that they are probably a lot worse than we think.

What other reasons would there be for a back and forth about that story, I have given all of the details that I know/remember, and already mentioned that I couldn't care if you believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Most of the defenders only come out to fill the pages with nonsense so the real stories get buried. Common theme on this. Don't feed the troll's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

100%. I’d strongly encourage everybody to re-read my interaction yesterday to really get a sense of pathology that’s in play here.

It really exposes the level of belligerence and borderline compulsiveness of some personae. Best ignored.

• Advertisement

Nonsense. Total rubbish. No school would do that.

However, I have seen on Irish supporting Ukrainian Facebook pages, schools asking children to consider their schools and other’s arranging transport for Ukrainians as they need the numbers to keep the teachers they’ve got.

I came across this on Facebook and thought some of you guys might be interested. It’s a bit long, but worth a read. it’s aimed at English host families, but relevant to those of us volunteers who sometimes struggle with the culture difference

“We are uprooted trees suspended above the ground. This is a stressful time for us all and everyone experiences it differently, because the trees are different. (Some take root easily, while others need time.) It takes time and patience on both sides for the tree to take root and bear fruit. One tree needs constant attention and watering, while the other needs only an initial support, so that drop by drop life awakens in it. It takes patience and tact for the tree to decide to lower the first root to the ground and time for the roots to sprout into the ground.

A good friend of mine asked me to write a this post for sponsors to explain some of the cultural differences of Ukrainians to English people, but I'll start with a general explanation of the situation.

We all left our country not out of a desire to live somewhere else, but because we needed to save our lives and the lives of our children. We all left our homes, cars, jobs, businesses and relatives in our country, and a part of our soul remained there. We drove without thinking about where and to whom we were going to and therefore, we were at a loss to where we ended up.

Almost all of us have lost friends or property. We have seen terrible things and participated in terrible events. For example, when the food was over, I thought if I could eat my dog. Thank God, I did not have to check it, but the fact that I had such thoughts haunts me till now. I cry every time I think about it. Therefore, we cannot sometimes respond normally to normal words.

Many of us do not understand English at all. Do you want to know how it is? Agree with your family not to say a word for at least one day. It's very hard... We are avery sociable people, but how can one communicate if one doesn’t understand anything and can't say anything? Sometimes tears well up when you can't explain something. I once could not remember the word “Sorry” and instead said “Please”. You might think, how they can be confused? I will tell you - both are single words and that is enough to confuse me. We are very grateful to our sponsors, but we cannot say this. I want to say so many words of gratitude, but I just say “Thank you”, because I don't know other words and it seems to me dry and without emotions, but I can't do otherwise.

We are very emotional, our language is fast and loud. You are not used to it and it seems that we are screaming all the time. This is how we communicate! It's normal for me to shout to a child in the next room: “Tikhon! I love you!” And he replies: “And I love you mom!” Without knowing what we are talking about, you might think that we are arguing, but this is not always the case.

Our children are moreactive and noisy. They do not always follow the rules of conduct and will allow themselves to intervene in adult conversations. Yes! We are noisy! But we are learning, we are trying to imitate you. My sponsor calmly and tactfully asks my children to wait while us adults talk. She does this over and over again and recently I noticed that my son came into the room, waited until I finished and only then asked if I could be distracted. It works, but it takes time.

In our country in general, children are more independent. We leave our children at home by themselves from the age of 6, and sometimes even earlier, depending on the child. Moreover, we entrust them with household chores and they do them, at first with mistakes, but then they learn. Also, from the age of 6, they go to school and to the grocery store on their own. We respect your culture and laws and try to abide by them, but here we are in an emergency. And if the mother decided that her child can spend time on his own without consequences, then this is so. But again, this is not always advised in England. You have laws to for child safety and we are learning that too.

We love to cook and eat delicious food. We eat a lot of vegetables and soups that need to be cooked every day. It is very difficult for us to live without a kitchen. Some may feel free in someone else's kitchen, but for someone it is uncomfortable and embarrassing. Add to this that we do not know where everything is and what is used, which products can be taken and which not. My mother put an electric kettle on the gas stove on the very first morning at the sponsor's. Do you understand what happened? She is not stupid, we also had an electric kettle in Chernigov, this is not a new device. But with all the confusion and excitement she made a mistake. Her sponsor was not upset, she just smiled, we bought her a new teapot. But then, my mother couldn't cook for another week, she was afraid that she would spoil something.

In Ukraine, we do not sort waste for recycling. This is new for us. We are confused and do not know in which bin to throw in. And your foxes! They've become adept at opening green food waste bins. In our family, it is customary that children throw out the garbage. My poor sponsor, I feel so ashamed every time, forgive us. I try to check, but you can't keep track of everything, either they closed the green tank bin badly and the foxes stole everything, or they empty the bags by scattering outside the bin, rather than into the bin. We are still learning, but it has been several months.

We are a very hardworking people. Everyone who worked with the Ukrainians will tell you this. And we do not like to sit on the neck? or depend on someone. No need to feed us or give money, thanks for giving us a safe roof. Having said that, do not be alarmed if your Ukrainians are not looking for work upon arrival. People are different, some need more time to get used to. You can offer to help them find a job but don't push them. The’ll ask again when they're ready.

In Ukraine the utilities are not so expensive. I understand in England, it is very expensive and people are trying to use only what is necessary. We too are used to saving. My sponsor explained this to me calmly and without nerves. Then she reminded me again when she saw that the children forgot to turn off the light.

So some people may forget to turn off the light at first, simply because the switch is in the wrong place. We find ourselves in new conditions, we are lost and do not understand much. If your Ukrainians do not save – talk to them, maybe remind them , or maybe wait.

I know that many of the Brits have not thought about what it will be like when strangers move into your house, you just followed your heart and opened your houses. I know that everyone had their own thoughts and dreams about how it would be. For some one's expectations were met, but unfortunately for others, it was not and this came as a surprise. YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE MORE THAN YOU COULD! It is wonderful that the call of your heart has won. But if something didn't go the way you expected, please take your time and don't get discouraged. Calm down, rest and give us a little more of your patience and we will open our hearts to you in return. But it takes time...

Of course people are different and situations are different. I have just tried to describe the situation in general to help understand what's going on. I know there are many more good stories.

With great gratitude to all the British people.

Maria Kartashova”

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The guy who was telling me this doesn't seem to care either way, as he is getting €400 a month or whatever it is.

You should have told him he can get multiples of that tax free. if he rents out his rooms.

Cool story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

A bit like the one I received on WhatsApp. "Single homeless Irish mother seeking Ukrainian Male. No relationship wanted just looking for accommodation ".

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Does anyone think we are still not full yet?

School buses in Donegal had to leave some pupils behind this morning due to not enough room.

The excuse was the implementation of free travel and other changes.

No prizes for guessing what the other changes are but seem not to be able to be mentioned.

We're more than full now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Worst part is I wager the operators were not told about the extra pupils As I can't see if they were getting paid in a deal they would not lay on more busses.

Waiting on the Minister to give the green light for another vehicle was stated.

Holidays can't be over yet.

Hopefully they remember to bring in extra teachers and classrooms.

Totally rudderless ship is what this country is.

What minister would that be ? The sleepy one probably tell them to cycle even if he is awake long enough to find out about issues he's supposed to be in control of.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

With all due respect... The part about kids being left on their own "from the age of 6 and earlier" and "if the mother decided, so be it so"... - it is like to come into a different country and declare: ah, well, this is against the rules and laws here, but back home we do it, so if we do it here, it is alright"... Seriously?? who in the right mind would leave a 6 yo in a foreign country (whatever about back home where presumably there is a familiar environment and probably friendly neighbors/family/friends nearby at hand) on their own, when the child can't even speak the language??

The sponsor has to ask her children to behave and not to interrupt? Could not the woman do it herself? after all, it's her kids.

That's one part that stood out for me. There are a few other things, but I couldn't bothered. The ones who want to look for excuses will always find them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Here's a positive story about a Ukrainian refugee in Ireland - I'd say this thread could do with it:

Not a school bus situation, but an ordinary countryside route. A friend was driving to work and gave a lift to two young girls (college students) in Co Galway last week. The girls couldn't get onto the bus, there were no seats left. apparently, a bunch of Ukrainians came to the bus stop and barged their way in when the bus arrived. there was an argument as the other people, including those girls were at the stop earlier, but the ukrainian lot started getting loud and aggressive, there were about ten of them, mostly young women and young men, and a few middle aged women, they were saying they are going all together and that's that. so the two girls just backed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My initial response was why didn’t the driver kick them off … but you know what he gets accused of then…

Glad you think it is a 'cool story' because I think it is a good example of the rancid sh*te that the promise of free everything is bringing here. Unless of course you were being sarcastic because you don't believe it. In which case I would wonder what you find about it that is so difficult for you to fathom. - A question you would probably avoid answering, if that was the case.

Or are you one that is so naive you believe that somebody with a Ukrainian passport, no matter who they are or where they are living, couldn't possibly get past the rigorous checks that are in place here, to prevent them from gaining access to the free everything and the absolute absurdity that is here? That to me is far more far fetched.

As for the pathetic comment about multiple tax free etc.. Meh.

If somebody can point me in the direction of where to report things like that, where it is believed advantage is being taken, please do, and I will happily report them.

The point of the post is the huge difference in cultures.

I’m glad you read it anyway!

When In Rome and all that. I think they will find it wont fly in the application to join the EU.

ah, sorry, it doesn't fit into your picture of perfect ukrainian refugees. you can deny all you want but it is not gonna make things better.

and it did happen.

It's not going to take long for the poeple getting P*ssed off not getting a bus to start filming what's going on and put it on social. Students are fickle it's not affected them yet. But not getting a nice warm bus will change the old tune.

• Advertisement

If it had happened, you can bet it was videoed and shared by now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement