Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Havenowt

We couldn't make it this year and sold our tickets.

I didn't really mind as i wasn't pushed on the line up and the removal of the Body N Soul area is a major disappointment for me. I always found you could get a break away from the mail festival in the BNS area and chill out.They always had fires at night which you could chill and be kept nice and warm and chat about who you saw or who you wanted to see the next day.

What did they do with the area this year to fill the gap?

How were the walkways for mud after the rain? don't know why they can't put down the metal walkways they used to use in Oxegen back in the day. save a lot of slipping n sliding.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The exemption to usual age discrimination laws in the Intoxicating Liqour Act 2003 for pubs specifically relates only to licences to sell alcohol. It does not apply to event licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Question for those that stayed in Pink Moon, was the only way to access Hazelwood /Salty Dog by going through the main arena? Previously you didn't have to in other years

Also, the new/extended Eco site beside Wildlands. What was it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭fafy

if you were a “sheep” it was !

I got in from Pink Moon, on Thu to Saturday, via the woods, they eventually put up a barrier on the path just down from Fishtown, (marked in purple below),i encountered that, for 1st time on Saturday about 16:30, i asked nicely to be let in, and i was left in. Sunday morning no barrier, i had brekkie in trailer park about 9am, hardly anyone there, and better than the massive q’s for coffee in PM.

Later on Sunday morning, we were heading to some Mindfield stuff, and could not get in from PM at 11:15, as they had not gotten the all clear, so we went via the woods again, no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭phizzledizzle

What is this post meant to be evidence of exactly?

ATN doesn't allow anyone under 21 in, which they clearly state, are you saying what they are doing is illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Whoever was pushing 100 gecs on here, well done. They were excellent. Friday in general was great for music. Fred Again, Glass Animals. Kneecap were excellent on sat afternoon, filled Rankins Wood at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I saw lots and lots of teenage kids (aged between 14 and 19) at ATN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Home and hosed. Not sure I'm ready for a review, not sure how I feel about the whole thing yet. I'll say first that I had a great weekend. In Eco for the first time feck all space by the time we arrived down on the Friday but were blessed to get a lovely pitch at the fence bordering on the Rave in the Woods. Loud as bejaysus at night but I slept pretty well and we'd loads of sitting out space, lovely neighbours. Everyone connected to Eco was sound, really happy with it.

Lots of decent music, Sleaford Mods top of the bunch for me absolutely loved them. Also really enjoyed Mick and Susan, Naked Lungs, Thumper, Sack, Silverbacks TCM, the Scratch, CMAT, Just Mustard and Arctic Monkeys. Saw way fewer full gigs that usual lots of bits and pieces. This was down to the absolutely undeniable fact that there was a HUGE lack of depth to the quality of music on offer.

Always about balance, isn't it? A few people have touched on it already. We joke about the teenagers on here sometimes but we all love our music and jaysus the cheek of the likes of me telling a teenager to do one while i nod my head to 'Bet you look good on the dancefloor'. Seeing a young lad roaring their heads off to 'There is a light' is a beautiful thing. But it has to be for all of us, that we have an equal share in it. That's gone this year, no question. The youngsters owned the main arena, whether it was some 18 year old on stage or the Pixies.

I disagree with the Oxegen comparisons but only because of what was outside main arena, all the magic that Jerry the Salty Dog, trailer park etc bring that I've never got anywhere else before but punters like me shouldn't be confined to thise areas and that's where we're headed.

Commercial set ups rule the arena now alright and I agree that it's almost impossible to chill out there anymore. The old Body and Soul area has been lost when it could so easily have been replicated. They've turned it into a throughway rather than a destination in itself. They're even dispensed with the fire.

Freetown has lots of potential but still really underutilised. They have to make it somewhere people want to visit rather than pass through.

Look, I was down with the brothers and we had a great time but I'm pretty sure or the first time in 10 years I won't be buying my ticket straight away. Maybe ATN is the way forward.

Last word for the crowd I met from on here. I'm so happy we started actually meeting up. Met loads of new Boardsies over the 3 days absolutely lovely people to a man. Or woman, soz @chanelno5 @desk tidy. Hardly a gig where I didn't have a few words with someone. It was an absolute pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭adam240610

Anyone know whats up with one of the venue's charging in pounds for food? I bought something that was 12 euro but going through my revolut I was charged 12 pounds. Why are places charging in a different currency? Pretty annoyed at that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It is evidence that the exemption to Equal Status Acts age discrimination laws that allows pubs to have 'over 21s' or 'over 23s' rule applies only to premises licenced for sale of alcohol. It is a provision of the Intoxicating Liqour Act 2003.

It's not me saying that service providers can't discriminate based on age. It's the law, as confirmed by IHREC; https://www.ihrec.ie/your-rights/services/age/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Sounds like Mission Accomplished - hat tip to the West Belfast lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

We had a great weekend.

Pixies on Friday / Sleaford Mods on Saturday / Khruangbin on Sunday my highlights.

TCM / Pogueology / Rake the Ashes great too.

Lovely to meet some of ye at Harvest for a while.

Absolutely no issues smuggling cans in thankfully.

it's our final year, but we had some great memories down the years.

Time for a change of scene next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Any act that invokes "How are they allowed do this" is fine in my book. And I'll include Kneecap.

Fair enough. The post was about some ordinary chap looking to watch them getting intimidated out of the tent. Maybe they could come up with another way to fight the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

So, back home and thoughts…

I’m not sure I’ll be getting the loyalty ticket (this was my 12th EP - took a break for a couple of years). Mostly because of being an old fart, and the focus shifting towards the younger crowd (fair play to them), but also the capacity strains. The weather didn’t help. It being a poor line-up year wasn’t too much of an issue - there’s so many excellent Irish acts gigging that it papers over the cracks. The festival seemed slightly ad-hoc on organisation this year - v late scheduling making a hames of clashfinder for early bird arrivals. Plenty of security and stewards without a baldy on any info. 11th hour finishing on Freetown. But no matter.

My experience - Thurs arrival was a bit later than planned - got caught up in rush hour traffic but no issues once in Stradbally vicinity. The slog from Green car park to Eco was as expected, but I saw Pink Moon punters lost and frustrated at the closed off Freetown entrance - they’d been given contradictory directions by staff. Eco was noticeably jammers even on Thurs, compared to last time out. Hendrix looked full on Thurs night - which made me wonder just how messy it was going to get on Friday.

Anyways - Salty Dog No Stars w Mik Pyro do the Stones was just the ticket - I do love the old tribute jams on the Dog.

Friday. Annoying delay on opening the Freetown entrance up means the long trek around to Salty Dog for Monsuier Pompier, Beef Supreme, and a mooch about the arena. Bitta Harvest, then Lime Cordiale, who seemed a bit surprised at the reception they got - imagine if their Whelans gig hadn’t been cancelled on the back of Covid. Great buzz. Little Sims got the crowd going too, and I had less of an issue with the Pixies set - if it keeps Frank from peak grumpiness, it’s a price worth paying. On to Fred Again, and my first oul-lad-past-it moment - the tent was a poor choice for the demand. I did an early flight from Pixies to get in the tent, but after a while I had to leave - it was just getting to dangerous crush territory. Surprised that no capacity management was in place, as it was one of the acts that was obviously going to run the risk of too big a crowd. Escaped to the woefully under-attended Shiv at M&B, and then on to Mother.

Saturday. Bit of Mindfield meandering, but bugged out of Blindboy after his story - again - capacity not meeting demand. Bit of Havvk, and then possibly the gig of the weekend - Kneecap. Those spides know how to work a crowd, and the entire shtick is on target. As a potential ‘Garda’, I didn’t feel particularly threatened by the call-out about undercover drug squad. In general though, the whole HSE/Drug Squad kerfuffle was outshone by the excellent marketing of the purple skull yokes - someone made out like a bandit. Anyway - Kneecap rocked the joint. Silverbacks seemed eminently sensible after that juvenile behaviour. TCM didn’t hit the spot for me, but probably me. JPEGMafia was another let-down, which required the powers of Gemma Dunleavy to raise me up again. Bonus to see CMAT in the crowd, enjoying herself. King Kong Company were, I’m sad to say, pants. They’ve offered diminishing returns every time I’ve seen them, and this will be my last visit. Now, they’ve always been a bit of a dumb guilty pleasure, but the Saw Doctors style MC’ing, mixed with piss-poor newer material, terrible stage show choices (the robot with the power washer? Really?) have done me in. Their dancer/choreographer is being let down by a bunch of kack-handed creative choices elsewhere. 😞 Frank and Walters for the antidote. Sleaford Mods were my second surprise of the day - I was sure that the Cosby/3 tent was too small for them. Not at all - it wasn’t a big crowd. Excellent gig, which lived up to my expectations. One of the few acts in the initial line-up that kept the flame alive. Then to Malaki in M&B, who was giving 110%. The Cope had difficulties coping with their set-up, but kudos for trying something different. An element of The Beloved about their sound. Back to Mother, then bed in the rain.

Sunday. The legs are feeling it now, and the muck and news is a downer. Bootleg Beach Boys bring some positivity. And doesn’t ‘Brian Wilson’ look like, eh, Brian Wilson! On to the Mariachi band in Jerry Fish, which by now has the mucky appeal of Tenko. Great act though. Comedy tent for a bit - partially to sit down in something other than mud, and decent sets from Mike Morgan, Martin Angolo, and Michael Fry doing his ‘coinage’ and ‘the neeeeeck’ songs. Then CMAT - who I avoided at ATN, because her Academy gig earlier this year was possibly my gig of the year, and you don’t want to tarnish perfection. Her festival gigs are obviously the condensed version, but her show has become a machine! She’s so on top of her game as a performer, that it’s easy to overlook her real strength as a lyricist with few peers. No idea what I was at for a while, and then Gurriers in the increasingly bleak Salty Dog. Powerful gig. Acid Granny at Trailerpark was a weird one (even allowing for normal Acid Granny weirdness) - the underlying anger in the numbers seemed to become the dominant vibe, and the gig ended abruptly with Taoiseach Shame doing a runner. Maybe I was just frazzled? On to Touts, who, again, had a surprisingly small crowd. Then, I had to concede that the appeal of dragging my tired legs around the damp was’t there, so back to the tent to listen to the, frankly brilliant noise-making of Nancy Live in the woods. My phone was long dead, so I had nothing to point me to who was playing, or what, because it definitely didn’t sound like a DJ. It was a harmonic assault, and one which lived up to any finale rave in the woods I’ve heard.

Never saw the main stage all weekend, never mind a main stage act. Still have no idea what Picture This sound like.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bunk Moreland

I just used the entrance beside the Pink Moon reception, the one that leads to the paintball entrance. Much quicker and less people about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

So first my thoughts on the weekend. Overall I really enjoyed myself. Seen plenty of acts, as many I would say as any other year - which I would have thought not likely whenever the big line-up announcement was made. I guess like so many here I made the best of it; I still think we were short-changed a couple of proper headliners and maybe 8-10 proper undercard-ers.

Highlights would have to be Pixies, Fontaines, Orla Gartland, Silverbacks, Sack, Harvest and TCM. I really enjoyed many more too, Sleaford Mods, Cathy Davey, Khruagbhin, Trouble Pilgrims, Frank & Walters, Kynsey, CMAT, Cable Street Collective, Nixer, Naked Lungs, Arctic Monkeys (2nd half). Then there were others that I caught too little of - these will definitely be ones I won't miss next time:- King Kong Company, Thumper, Camille O'Sullivan.  

Leading the Disappointments would be Bright Eyes - who I was really looking forward to seeing, and The Kooks - felt distant on the big stage, maybe would have been better in EA.

Like many I was delighted with the loose security for cans, but would prefer if security was generally good and free flow legitimate. Ironically the 'One Arena' thing works well for you when you have a days cans on your back - I personally used to hate having to "risk" cans to go into and out of the main arena of old. I say Risk - I have never had anything confiscated.

For the venues, I felt Fishtown was - while brilliant - a little lost in its new location. I visited there a good few times, and often there were very small audiences. It did seem to pick up over the weekend, but wonder will it thrive where it is? Salty Dog felt busier, but obviously its at a major junction now, so some of that is passing trade. I missed the MC Pirate - was he gone in 2019, or just gone this year. Still a great stage and extra seating / shelter a great addition.

The 3 Music for All stage turned out to be my most frequent tent - between it and Rankins Wood some great shows hosted, over overflowing (witness Kneecap - I had seem them in 2019 in a deserted terminus, a great show but was so mobbed I left it). Incidentally re: nature of the event I happened on 2 Guards who were eying the show from outside while being the subject material on-stage. Got a good laugh from them and anyone around - all in good humour and no disrespect on display.

I had no issues I have to say with food, all great quality, albeit I avoided the busy times and usually ate at places like Trailer Park or Mind and Body. I can't say I ever queued for any more than 3 minutes.

In relation to crowding, I think the new layout is much better - I felt less safe from crowd perspective in 2019, the site has more flow and less pinch points.

That said, I think Terminus is weirdly underused, and Trenchtown / Freetown a wasted wilderness. Anytime I went there they were deserted - Hazelwood likewise. Perhaps its the poor undercard this year, just too many stages to support, not enough draw through the weekend.

Turning now to the future of the festival. I want to believe that this year was a one-off. I have sympathy for the organisers, they had banked their revenue pre-pandemic, no doubt had pandemic costs (I know they also had insurance), and then had to deal with huge operational costs (though not the 300% rises Benn would like you to think). I know they also have to make a return and I have no issue with that.

What I think they did is raid the artist fund to meet the operational costs (and keep profit as forecast). That would be why there was maybe EUR 2m less to spend on a couple of decent headliners and 8-10 decent undercards. And you can do that one year and go back to plan - with higher ticket prices - the next year.

I am worried though that FR will feel this year was a success and can be repeated with a similar line up, maybe even with a similar line-up and raised prices. I was expecting them to abandon loyalty, just wonder now where they set the 2023 price. It is the first indicator of where they are going.

I agree with all the comments on commercialization / selling out. What I feel is that its not just the real estate that is for sale, I have a feeling its the audience too. I wonder whether its ever a thing that festical *charges* for appearances, not the band as such, but say a record company. We'll bring you this audience, how much will you pay us for the slot? Maybe a stretch, but it certainly felt like we are increasingly being sold artists rather than being presented a curated festival.

I also feel that when Oxegen was around there was a clear choice of weekend festival - Oxegen or EP, and each had their own market. Oxegen folds, Longitude arrives, but Longitude is not a weekend event (no camping). The Longitude audience look to EP, and maybe as they organise both FR facilitate the huge demand (and disposable income) on offer. ATN picks up the Vintage EP demand, and those tickets are snapped up by Longitude goers, and so it continues.

I live close enough to get home each night, and I just love EP. I hope in 2027 I am able to say 2022 was the worst year - I can't imagine thinking each successive year is the worst year yet. So I will buy my ticket next week, and I will be back for the coming few years at least.  

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

Delete please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭endainoz

I think we have said a fair bit over the last few years that they'res definitely a market out the for another oxegen type festival in Ireland. Punchestown needs to be used for the big gigs again, it's been underutilized in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

So where do I stand now that I have experienced the festival again?

Line up

As commented many times the line up nowhere near as strong as before from my perspective. Is this a once off as the world rerights itself in light of Covid and Brexit or is it a trend that will continue? Hard to know but suspect a bit of both with a larger weight on the latter.

Having said that I 38 saw full or partial sets (some due to clashes some for poor performances) over the weekend some of which I found brilliant (Tame Impala, Mick and Susan, Wolf Alice, Sprints, Just Mustard, Khruangbin) and the rest largely really good. Despite the headliners largely not being for me I still went to 2 of the 3 main headliners ( TI & AM). I also have to recognise as I get older there will be new popular music I don't like and the younger festival goers should be treated to what they like (this year however with a few notable exceptions thought the youngsters were a bit cheated by a low number of international acts).

Demographic

It definitely looked younger however is this really a surprise as it is likely that the additional capacity was picked up by a younger demographic as those older heads that go unlikely to be new attendees. Have to say they didn't annoy me that much.

Commercialism

Annoys the he'll out of me but always been an issue and it does generate funds to support the festival (I know and FR)

Areas

Did I feel pushed out of the main arena? To an extent however most of my yesterday was Rankins, 3 All for music and Electric Arena with a good smattering of the main arena on the other days so still plenty for me. Think the addition of fishtown and the work on salty have been great additions but they need to do more with Freetown and terminus to spread the crowd more.

Based on the above I while there were concerns I still had a brilliant weekend of a great variety of music and I changed my mind and will definitely buy a ticket and likely will go.

One of thevreal highlights of the weekend for me was meeting so many people from here, each and everyone of you are super people, even met a lurker, you know who you are. I go on my own as I enjoy the freedom to go and do what I want, and herself has an aversion to portaloos so will never come. However it is really nice to share the experience with others and through you I get both. Go to what I want regularly meet a boardsie, share the gig and a chat after and then go our own ways so big thanks to all of you.

Last point

Most annoying thing of the weekend, men who make the effort to go to the toilets and then p*ss against the fence 2 foot from a free urinal WTF

Roll on next year, how many sleeps Scruff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yes, I can't understand why they do that - loads of free urinals but they prefer using the fence. It's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Doubt it.

reacted saturation point, sure longitude and fairview shows did poorly this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

how do all you boardsies recognise each other if you've never met?

Anyone with grey/no hair in the vicinity of These Charming Men, Harvest, or Jerry Fish heritage acts, is suspect. Also any washed-out indie teeshirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Home now and too lazy/tired to do much more than a half arsed attempt at drying the tent out. It can all wait until tomorrow.

Had great weekend overall. There were some bad and some good points. I might write up a few at some stage in case Melvin is checking our vast festival organising knowledge for any tips for EP23.😉

It was great to meet up with those of you that I did meet and I'm sorry I didn't manage to meet others that were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

We say where we are meeting and tshirts we are wearing. There was also a photo from the last meeting and think keplar has a few from this year that might make an appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Interesting reading, i would have thought the rain would have been to the main talking point of the weekend kinda felt sorry for people on Saturday night.

Festival landscape is a funny one , for ten years the market has insisted of only paying €200-240 ish for a music festival despite the costs of gigs elsewhere and everything else going up in that time.

The result is weaker line ups, more people, less frills more corporate placement more expensive food drink etc.

Kids deserve their party folks and i dont think there is room for another camping festival to cater for them without diluting the line up everywhere else. Or at least not without booking the **** EDM stuff or more hip hop like at longitude. I dont think any promoter is willing take on the potential fallout of any incident arising from the type of crowd that could attract (might be a bit unfair on longtitude).. oxegen and SHM is still fresh in the memory.

Anyway i am probably too old for festivals anyway to worry about a similar demise to ATN.

WORD OF ADVISE DRY OUT YER TENTS AS SOON AS YE CAN

• Advertisement

Excellent question. I think it's the obvious aura of middle aged decay emanating from each of us. That or the photo that went up from the last meet up. Some people also mention tshirts that they might be wearing that day.

Advertisement