Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Yeah, I know some folks under the impression they'll take it with them. Landlord refused to contribute but allowed it to be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The nominal fee is the 600 grant tied to your property.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I got the Tesla v3 charger. Will I need a priority switch? Max load is 63a and I have a heat pump but no electric shower.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I wouldn’t pay a tenant €600 to leave the charger. I could have one installed cheaper through the grant system. Ecoplex for example is €550 after the grant for the Wallbox Pulsar Plus.

If the tenant becomes an annoyance over it then they can feck off.

Most likely as the basic dumb Tesla charger doesn’t have load balancing built in. Where as the cheaper wallbox does.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

The button to open the charge port is handy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Hi All, i've been following this thread since placing an Ioniq5 order a while back, its a treasure trove of info. Just looking at getting a charging point installed soon, and I think i've narrowed it down to a handful. I'm in a new build and i've an isolation switch already installed, so I was planning on just buying the unit myself and getting my electrician to install, should be basic enough (I think!). I'm not 100% sure on the load management side of things - I have an ASHP but no electric showers etc.

I'm looking at an untethered unit as 90% of my charging will be done in work. I've no solar PV and unlikely to get it installed anytime soon. And I'd like one with some kind of app integration. So I narrowed it down to either a Wallbox Copper Sb or EO Mini Pro2.

Anyone have any insight on which might be best to go with, or any alternative one i've missed out on? I considered Zappi, but I think I prefer the Wallbox and EO units to it. I looked at the SyncEV, but not sure its possible to get in Ireland.

Finally, where are people sourcing the units? Two wholesalers I contacted didn't stock either. A few people have mentioned Amazon but i'd prefer to avoid the import fees!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Copper SB is a great looking charger and I don't know of too many issues with them. Just make sure your spark doesn't over tighten the terminals as they can be a touch delicate

You'll need a CT clamp to allow for your heat pump. Goes around the main incomer so can be installed in meter cabinet.if charger is located near there.

Works with the same app and online platform as other Wallbox units.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭micks_address

Update on my grant payment for charger. All forms submitted for claim online 18th of July. 600 euro hit my account this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Thank you! Looks wise I was edging towards a white EO as I thought it'd blend in with the white walls better than the black Copper SB.

Re the CT clamp, the charger will be the opposite side of the house, so that might cause me some hassle. Are CT clamps required for most chargers? One of the neighbors has a Rolec installed which just has a single cable connected to their isolation switch. So maybe the Rolec has some built-in load balancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭whykay

🔔 For those who are owner-occupiers living in private developments (houses & apartments, we live in a house), don't forget to ask your management company for permission.

Our one asked us to submit our planned proposal of installing the charger to the development's board...sent pics and where the cables will go, good thing we also had blueprints.

Although it's taking forever.. over 3 weeks, they only acknowledged receiving emails this morning 🙄.

For our sitch, we are lucky to have a closed covered car park, and our parking space is only the 2nd parking space away from our back door; we have ducts from our house to the concrete column by our parking space.

Electrician came out to do a survey and said it will be straight forward to install. Will drill hole through our wall and connect to our fuse box by our back door (inside). We've no electric shower, no cutoff/balancer required. He even said if the management company has issues with our cable being in the same duct as other cables, he can install a separate duct.

He said it will cost us €792.00 excluding VAT at 13.5% to install the charger.

Right now, I'm just waiting an ok from management company & board.

Plus as an aside, I'm also waiting for my reg number, due for pick up on 9th. 🤭

We are using Carra Ireland (we tried a few other installers but Carra was the one who came back and has a quick turnaround when we had questions).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Dubious as to what authority they have to require that. Same in my development, emailed the manager, no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not sure about houses. But in apartments you only own the air. The walls belong to the management company

It's for the private development's board of directors, but you deal with them through the management company. Yay, bureaucracy.

But someone already has a charger installed in the same car park and they are from owner occupier of these house as well. So fingers crossed. It'll be easier for us as opposed to apartments as we have our own fuse box at our house.

Good luck to everyone else who has to go through this rigmarole.

The column (where the charger will be installed at), ducts & carpark is a common area for us, so needed to ask development board for permission. It'll be interesting to see how folks in apartments get theirs installed (more out of curiosity for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Is that €792 for the install only or is the charger included?

So the guts of €900 for a "straight forward" install with no charger supplied. Some electricians are absolutely creaming it! The sooner the better the grant is gone, because it's a license to rip people off.

Stay Free

I’ve had it with installers at this stage. They suck at responding to enquiries despite all the information being supplied before they even have to ask. Latest one (ecoplex) was a complete waste of time. They asked for updated photos of my CU and MB which I sent. Then no word for a week.

I figured maybe getting a second charger installed was too much trouble for them. I rang them and said I only need a direct replacement because I have an existing charger in place. I was asked to send a photo of the existing unit (kinda pointless, as it’s coming out and only the cable is to be reused). This was passed to an installer and 2 days later, no reply. I’ll sort the replacement myself.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Straight forward does not always equal quick and cheap

Has anyone here ordered the Hypervolt 2.0 from their website and if so, was VAT removed at the payment stage and what was delivery cost? Typing hypervolt into google to find suppliers brings up a load of results I don't want.

Stay Free

Think ecar infra do them. Not sure if they sell for supply only.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

I think they might be processing them in batches or something, I submitted mine on 27 Jun and it got paid on the 31st as well.

ecar infra are only approved resellers / fitters in Ireland I think. I tried to get hypervolt to supply to me directly (or indeed to a UK address that I could collect from) but they refused.

I got one fitted by ecar infra and am very happy with it tbh. Not sure you'll be able to buy one otherwise unless they've changed their tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hi folks,

We had the house surveyed back in April/May but delayed installation as dealer was providing FOC and car was delayed.

With delivery hopefully getting closer Installer reached out to survey again as he said the regs had changed. When I queried what had changed he gave the following:

The regulations have changed regarding taking the power from the ESB metering box, and having to position a modular box and surge protection unit outside of the ESB metering box.

Can anyone point out what exactly had changed as not much in the above.

Thanks I advance

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

@budhabob

All the relevant RCBOs for the car charger were allowed go inside the meter cabinet but now they are not. A separate board has to be wired externally from the ESB cabinet and the car charger wired from there instead.

It's still good to have this option rather than having to go to the fuseboard if it's in the middle of the house or hard to get to but it will just be a bit more unsightly than if everything was inside the ESB cabinet

Hypervolt replied to me today. They are happy remove VAT and send to Ireland.

Ecar infra quoting 1300 for prewired install. Told them others had quoted 1000. If they do 1000 and can install soon, I will go with them as they have good reviews

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Ryano87

I used them (e car infra) and found them excellent. Nice tidy job.

I had ordered a kia ev6 last November which is not looking like it will be delivered any time soon so now considering buying a diesel :-(

• Advertisement

I was dealing with Go Electrical as a last ditch effort to have a CP installed. The lady (Kamilla) I was dealing with via whatsapp and phone was really helpful and I would have gone with them except the electrician was insisting I first have my tails upgraded from 10 to 16^2 which would cost me around €400-500 when all is said and done. They don't do the tails upgrade themselves either.

I have just ordered a Hypervolt 2.0 and will install this myself, as I already have a charge point. I emailed them to request an invoice with VAT removed and they quickly obliged. Costing £560 including delivery.

Stay Free

Advertisement