Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 year old twins and their 18 year old sister murdered in tallaght

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Absolutely tragic for any family, no matter where they come from or who they are.

I don't see why those two things matter to this sad sorry case.

Two children and one adultesent are vicously slaughtered bringing an end to probable long lives and the remaining family members lives are affectively finished.

And yes I label the killer as evil.

I couldn't fooking care less if that term offends non religious types.

Sadly the perpetrator gets to live out the rest of his live.

That is the only shame here that the AGS didn't do society and mankind a favour and use lethal force rather than waste resources on something one cannot label as human anymore.

Like some other posters I am tired of mental illness being used as a crutch and an excuse.

Yes they are lots of mentally ill people but they don't go around slaughtering people.

I am tired of a mental health system failing society and families.

Ah yes we will get a report, apologies and the usual blattering after the fact.

And yes we had a society once upon a time that was only too happy to put everyone and anyone that didn't fit the perceived societal norms in what was termed "the big house" and that seriously needed to be stopped.

But now we have swung the pendulum too far the other way, and don't bother doing anything about those with serious warning signs.

I am also tired of our revolving door justice system.

I have long cited the results of the failure of judges to listen to concerns on bail, the failure of our justice system (judiciary and politicians) to adequately sentence and provide for sentences for habitual and serious criminals.

Of course the US is trotted out as an example of the failure of things like three strike rules and long sentences, yet no one mentions there can be a medium approach and not one where seriously dangerous individuals get to walk amongst us.

And if anyone thinks this individual will see proper justice then they are deluded.

If society is lucky he will get concurrent life sentences.

If he doesn't then his legal team will appeal like in another child murderer case and the family can be left to ask which child's live is the only one that mattered?

A life sentence is what about 18 years with time off for good behaviour, time off becuase he pleads guilty?

If he is found to be mentally ill then he will probably be out even sooner if he gets a gullible enough shrink to sign him off as being no longer a danger.

I am sick and tired of seeing perfectly avoidable and preventable needless deaths of innocent individuals, because of the ar**holes who push their agendas all the while they are usually making money out of the lax system.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Thread cleaned up. Digging through Facebook profiles looking for drama is a pretty crappy thing to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@harmless and @Staleturnips do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hopefully the law will be changed soon to give judges power to impose a minimum mandatory life sentence for particularly heinous crimes.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judges-may-get-power-to-impose-minimum-life-terms-for-heinous-crimes-41493145.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,883 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hopefully his fellow inmates do him on the inside. The scumbag who perpetrated these crimes doesn't deserve to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

For those lamenting the lenient sentencing that typifies the Irish justice system, we can talk about the reasons for it, the rights and wrongs of it, different theories of penal justice, reform vs punishment etc, and which strand the Irish system has adopeted, untill the cows come home. It is all just waffle.

The truth is that the reason for the lenient sentences is much more practical in nature - there isn't anywhere near enough prison space to accomadate all the people we might like to send to prison. Prisons are all at bursting point as it is, not to mind sending fellas to prison for stealing cars and shoplifting.

All well and good for a judge to send a fella to prison for 10 years over something. Not much use when he gets there and the governor tells them that he can't take him because they are full beyond capacity, and they just release him on licence again.

Then we will have the cries of "build more prisons". But that is unlikely to ever happen in any significant amount, for several reasons:

1. like any Irish project, it would take an eternity to be realised and cost a million billion dillion squillion euros by the time BAM get wind embroiled in it. Add to that, all sorts of objections from locals, social justice warriors, environmentalists, as per usual
    2. There would be no votes to be got out of it. No-body wants a prison in their area. There are votes in building roads, filling potholes, building houses, and schools and hospitals. Not for prisons, or the army.
    3. Look at the Childers Hostible - something I think everyone would agree in principle is necessary, and a worthwhile investment. And look at all the shite going on with it, from not agreeing and taking 10 years to decide where to build the bastardin thing, to the ballooning costs, to people already saying it'll be unfit for purpose and a failure before it even is built.
    4. Take all that and multiply it times a thousand for building a prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Wont happen unfortunately. I'd say this dirtbag will be going to a nuthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,883 ✭✭✭billyhead

At taxpayers huge expense of course. It's a joke.

"Evil" and psychotic don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I don't think anyone who carries out such an act could be in their right mind but I still think they're evil. I guess it depends on what one's definition of evil is. It's not an exact term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Maybe people can turn down the dramatics before the inevitable lament on the Irish justice system gets re-ignited?

Previous convictions for burglary and theft but nothing worse than that. Why on earth would anyone insist on keeping someone locked up for this?

It’d be interesting to find out why the previous attack against someone in the family didn’t lead to a conviction, and whether the treats were ever reported. Sounds like there was a lead up to the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

Perhaps but could anyone have predicted this level of violence targeted towards two young children and a teenager? There will be a lot of family members thinking about what might have been done that could have been done differently but no one can predict the future.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do not speculate over the mental state of the perpetrator. That is not for us to do, and indeed could be prejudicial to the case

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

I sincerely hope not......back out on the streets after a couple of months???

Nothing would surprise me anymore when it comes to crime and punishment in this country but back out in a couple of months after doing something like this strikes me as highly unlikely...

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40155563.html. Another case. Not sure if he got parole..

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭BagofWeed

Anybody with a brain who actually understands how the Prison Service works knows that the parole board meetings are just a part of a process undergone by Life Sentenced prisoners. Only a fool (and we have a lot of them on here) would think Geary has any chance of actually being released but he is still entitled to apply for parole board meetings. And LOL to the poster who posted above about a guy getting ten years and the governor letting him out ! Absolute presumptive as usual but not backed up by fact. Someone further back was on about lifers doing 18 years, more of the same pub talk, it all depends on the notoriety of the murder/ behaviour and rehabilitation of the prisoner.

The man who done this (I haven't and don't intend reading up about him) will more than likely never see the light of day but that won't mean he won't be entitled to parole board meetings. A prisoner with no hope of any eventual release will be a dangerous prisoner, a difficult one to manage for both staff and other prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Yes, I have to fully agree. A lot of misinformation being talked on here. Given the nature of these murders, I think he'll always be deemed too much of a threat to the public to ever get out even if he's a model prisioner. Im not 100% what the irish definition of a serial killer is but Im sure he can be classed along those lines, not to mention his victims were kids. There's prisoners in Irish prisons who've committed lesser offences that have never been let out & are unlikely ever to be.

Also, our current justice minister seems to be doing everything she can to put in legislation that punishes violent crime more severely & makes it more difficult for those convicted to be released. Looks like conversations are ongoing currently between the DPP & the gards so that they charge him & 100% make it stick. Id imagine after he's been charged, he can be named then.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I know the mother of this victim. Jackie. She was actually shown the pic in work not realizing it was her daughter. She wanted to introduce a new law called Jackie's law to stop the same thing happening. I sincerely hope that it comes about.

But anyone found guilty of such crimes should not be entitled to apply for parole, particularly so early in their sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'd be all for it.

Some absolute cretin just shoved the phone in front of my face, she's since left the company. You really don't know how someone's going to react to seeing something like that, makes you question the type of adults we have in our society.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not sure how as a mother you can carry on with life after witnessing such horror but please god having other children will give life some meaning.

Whst do you do with the perpetrator of such a crime? He must never see the light of day again.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Poor Jackie, first reports said it was a male because Jackie had the side of her head shaved, obviously why her mam looked not thinking it could be her daugher, I think the 2 guys on motorbikes, images were shared aswell. Scumbags the lot of them! the sooner its a offence the better imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

RIP

reckon the alleged perp only does ~12yrs inside, to include [possibly] some time in Pat's (or some other institution of that kind) ; #regardless of the sentence his/her beakness levies on the accused - should they be found guilty

#in America he never gets out - i can see a few "life" sentences dished out in event of guilty verdict - add them all up, and it could come to +100yrs, but it's well odds on we'll be seeing "concurrent" nd not 'consecutive' sentences 😒

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One of the things that makes this more distressing is the mother and brother witnessed all of this, I really feel for them as they have the rest of their lives to live with this in the background. They will of course get help to try and get them to handle it all, but the horror of all this will be incredibly difficult to suppress

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't think anyone could ever be the same person they once were after experiencing that level of trauma and grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s frankly quite irritating that reports mention the shock experienced by children in the neighbourhood who witnessed the events. I get that there was a commotion and kids might have woken up, but would people really let their children watch on?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Personally I would have had the help vacate themselves and the kids to one of the many safe-rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

He’d get the injection in America.

Hopefully he gets life in CMH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

In America he would likely have been armed with a semi-automatic rifle....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

And there wouldn't have been any attempt to subdue him by non-fatal means. We're not in America though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement