Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Single phase effective cap is 9kw, ie 6kw plus 50% oversize. I was looking at this yesterday. Oversizing by 50% may be slight over kill too, and I may revert back to planning about 8.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

What would a typical consumption rate be for solar? I've seen people talk about 98% consumption of power generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

50%

Gets better the more batteries added, but batteries really not massively viable unless at a really good price point

@unkel saw in another thread your setup is getting bigger by the year. Are you off grid, or you must be 3 phase?

Is the 6kw limit for grid a technical limit, or arbitrary number ESB have plucked out of thin air?

😎

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Good luck with that one SAAS havent even called me back despite numerous emails , voice messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Im being ghosted by SAAS, had a scheduled call and all that they just didn't bother with. Now silence and no replies to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kerryman3

I personally think the formula needs an intercept term. Like maybe 2000+ 1250 per kW plus 1250 per kwH of battery. To account for larger systems being cheaper per kW and smaller being dearer. 2000 might be way off but should have some constant in there.

The constant is the grant many of the installers pocket 😀

😎

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I got this exact setup coming in a few weeks that was quoted to me back at the end of July, 9700 after grant. The prices I've seen around are getting crazy

• Advertisement

FIT is reducing the payback period, thereby allowing for pricing to be increased 😞

You are probably right there about grant pocketing in some cases at least. But either way any job which has fixed cost components ( setting up scaffolding and getting onto roof) and variable costs. (e.g adding 5 additional panels once you are up there) should have an estimator like A plus B*x. Lot of the systems being proposed now are way bigger than when I was last on this forum in 2019. So the estimator probably works okay for them cos fixed cost is much lower percentage of the overall cost, but not so much for the smaller projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Are you guys surprised? Every man, woman and child in the country wants solar PV installed at the moment. The installers are all flat out. If they can even get the panels / inverters.

No I'm on grid and only single phase. And you will have to ask the ESB those questions 😂

I'm pretty maxed out though, although my north facing front roof could take another 4kwp or so. That's next on the list!

Not at all surprised, but I think we should adapt the estimator to the changes in the market.

Post edited by Kerryman3 on

So has the wholesale prices increased or just the installer ones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭sligopaul

Honestly in this market I don't think this is too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

Hi - having utterly failed to go ahead and place an order late last year I just went out to get quotes again and ... wow!

I reckon about +30%

I had narrowed it down to 2 suppliers that the regulars on here are familiar with, however I am wondering if the increase in demand has had any negative impact on the time the installers are willing or able to put into the install?

I had narrowed down to 2 installers that are well known / recommended on these boards ( a sea-lover and some 'skilled guys from up north ... trying not to name names here ..)

While i dont have a difficult roof to access, i do have some shadow issues / need optimisers - and will also want to ensure the system is well setup including monitoring app etc ...

any recent experience would be welcomed

PS - excellent work to the mods/ regulars in tidying up the stickys etc, lot easier to navigate round here now!

FIT has basically wiped a few years off everyone's payback, so the gougers are looking to put people back to the previously calculated payback timescales

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Install currently underway

Tweked the initial quote up a bit.

Ended up going for 16 x 410 panels (6.560kw) up 1.1kw on original

Solis now 6kw from 5kw.

Sticking with 5 kw battery. Should be all done at 10k after grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

I assume the grant was maxed out and no grant for the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Grant is for a max of 4kw. I have a 600e grant on the battery. I was approved 2 days before closing old scheme

Looks like I am down to this;

Option A: 7.6KW Trina panels with hybrid inverter

€8100 post grant.

Option B: 7.2 KW Panels, hybrid inverter, 5.1KW Dyness battery

€10,850 post grant.

Option C: 9.02KW, hybrid inverter, 10.4KW battery

€15,800 post grant.

My first observation is with some work quotes under the increased rule of thumb can be achieved. I would strongly recommend the €1200/1KW is brought back to €1000, and people start to leverage the number of competitors, or at least settle for €1100. By publishing and repeating €1200/1KW the consumer is giving away value. 

All 3 quotes are different installers, all 3 are sizeable operators.

My instinct is to go without batteries and see what happens with usage and the battery market. The upfront cost of batteries represent a marginal win, but for a lot of cash upfront. No right or wrong decision on this, but I will roll the dice and keep an eye on Alibaba, unless an installer offer makes more sense to me.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Hi all, just looking to find out how many panels people could normally fit on a standard 3 bed semi? I think my roof is about 5 x 4mtr, but that's a guess. I'd imagine most 3 bed semis have similar enough roof space? (Was hoping to go 5/6Kwp)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daveq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Spec

• 20 x 405 watt Longi hiMo panels

• 1 x 6kw solis hybrid inverter RHI-6K-48ES-5G

• 2 x WeCo 4kw battery 100% DOD

15.6K before grant - 13.2K After. Slightly better than the rule of thumb. Dublin install.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think there is a real inflection point at about 5 or 6Kw installed though.

I got 2 sets of quotes in the end, one for 4.5kW ish, and the formula was about 20% high. BUT from same set of suppliers, the quotes for ~6kW system were bang on the money for 1.2 per Kw etc.

That's because it takes very little extra time to install a 6kwp system compared to a 4kwp system, maybe 1-2 man hours on an easy install. The higher capacity inverter is not really any more expensive and 2kwp extra panels and mounting materials costs no more than €700 to the installer. So per kwp this is far cheaper. The "formula" is not really scalable as it is not linear in real life, The first kwp will cost you a couple of grand, the last kwp only a couple of hundred...

I tend to agree, and the poster suggesting a fixed component on the rule of thumb is on the money. That said the smaller projects release the same grant which is a larger % of the project cost - so I would not be letting installers off lightly with smaller systems either. For a smaller system I would almost certainly say that the solar as a service offer is probably on point - same cost but without the upfront capital investment, in an inflation environment it is a no brainer, so installers wanting cash now can be leveraged against that.

I do not have smaller system quotes so cant do any work on what the rule of thumb could be, but if someone has 10 or so quotes for a smaller system and sends me the data I will see if I can generate something...

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Any thoughts on the below quote?

Not a large house. Provider is not recommending batteries.

Longi 410W 8 Panels 2,179.20

Solis 3.6KW Dual String Inverter 964.75

Eddi Hot Water Diverter 595.88

3KW Solar Installation 4,114.38

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement