Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pushback against Leftism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You say you felt your post was topical. I feel the real reason it was posted was because it makes the "right" look stupid. I don't care if the "right" look stupid because between you and me they are stupid, but so are the left, so when I see that tribalism being introduced here I'm going to call it out because it wasn't posted for it's educational content, it was posted for it's humor which is not relevant to any serious discussion.

Are you suggesting that the tweet has serious merit? Or is it just some cheap joke doing the rounds in your Twitter circles? We can probably agree that this question is merely rhetorical.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Like most things in life, "the exception proves the rule". The rule being that for mammals XX is female, XY is male.

Why not read the about the rule and the way exceptions can happen?

The type of question asked is indicative of a certain type of person who claims they are leftwing because they support gender identity politics.

I don't believe anything of the sort; for me left/right involves the struggle for a more equitable distribution of resources in society, as opposed to for instance the current owners of Amazon, Google and so on. An outgrowth of that struggle for resources once involved the struggle for reproductive rights, sexual freedom and dignity more generally.

Today no-one in their right mind would suggest that Varadkar is leftwing because he supports gay rights (being gay himself), but there was a time in the past when being openly gay would have marked you out as leftwing, while rightwing gays stayed in the closet.

Today though there is a version of rightwing that puts itself forward as being leftwing - and one of their markers is precisely pushing the transgender agenda. It is certainly a great distraction at a time when rents have become very difficult to pay and buying a house is beyond the means of the many. In fact, it is today's version of counting the number of angels on the head of a pin.

Now someone is going to come along and make the erroneous claim that I am anti transgender people. Yet another distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Christy42

The exception that proves the rule is a stupid saying. It very much does not prove the rule. An exception proves a rule of thumb, not an actual scientific definition. Even that link says "In most cases, the female is XX and the male is XY". Then it lists various reasons as to why this isn't universal. The point being it isn't universally true for everyone. If you want a rule of thumb there are far easier ways to get a relatively high hit rate on sex identification than finding out their chromosones.

There is a large chunk of various hormones, details to the chromosones etc. that effect various parts of human anatomy as mentioned in your link with different effects from different pieces. Any one of these pieces can have something happen unexpectedly so the question of biological sex becomes pretty complicated pretty quickly if you want a single rule to describe all cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,523 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You say you felt your post was topical. I feel the real reason it was posted was because it makes the "right" look stupid.

IDK what else to tell you but you are wrong, I am the author of the post, I know the real reason why it was posted: the issue of child indoctrination in the right's 'pushback against leftism'. You're welcome to pound sand about it.

• Advertisement

the question of biological sex becomes pretty complicated pretty quickly

Not at all. The question is clearly answered in all but a minute number of cases. Male and female are clear. If you want a different "gender" for the few that don't fit in, well, away you go, but there is no real commonality among the variety of different situations that exist.

And the reality is that these individuals are the subjects of actual specific causes that can be pinned down and identified.

Unlike the "gender" identity crisis that has been unleashed upon the western world in order to distract us from the financial, economic and housing crisis that has been on-going since 2006.

°°°°°

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

"gender identity crisis" - sounds like some mad conspiracy theory

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

This left v right rubbish. As if there are only 2 opinions or thought processes on every topic and scenario. People looking after their own interests.

At this stage we would be better off feed the data and questions into a big computer and let it decide the best option or approach to big political decisions.

There are too many stupid people who are being given a platform because they shout loudest while people are busy trying to navigate life

°°°°°

Did anyone have "Conspiracy Theory" in woke bingo?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Fourth Circuit Holds the Americans with Disabilities Act Covers Gender Dysphoria

Interesting Development.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Rapid Onset Gender Dysphoria, it's been called.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Shoog

In science, which is what you are referencing, the exception absolutely disproves the rule. A rule must be 100% applicable for it to become a scientific law - a single exception blows it out of the water. Science has fully accepted the reality of a blurred line between sexes and genders - its about time those who abuse science got the message.

Err all science is theory there is no 100% it's on consensus. Alienist are now phycologist. Now some stuff is immutable like stick a fork in the electric socket we know electricity kills.

Why is psychology considered not a science?

Because psychology often does not meet the five basic requirements for a field to be considered scientifically rigorous: clearly defined terminology, quantifiability, highly controlled experimental conditions, reproducibility and, finally, predictability and testability.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Exactly. ROGD is a conspiracy theory....... A thoroughly debunked one.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

We were talking about xx and xy chromosomes proving the rule that there are only two sexes - the various exception disprove this theory out of hand (even ignoring for the fact that numerous other chromosome play a role in sexual identity).

But the very existence of transgender people requires science to classify and describe that reality - for the same reason that science cannot tolerate exceptions to its system of classification - it must attempt to explain all known phenomena.

Ofc but the vast vast majority fall into those categories. I use this example lightly as there are probably more blind people than transgender. It would be like redesigning the whole system to accommodate them. Interesting fact if your a man and you look between your legs at a wrinkle it's there as we were all female until we developed into male. Again I don't put to much stock in Alienist. No money in disproving something plenty of inventing illness and pills for it.

No one denied that the vast majority of people fall easily into those two catagories - but it is an inadequate scientific model all the same.

The alternative is to deny that intersex and transgender people can exist - which I hope you will acknowledge is a ludicrous position to take.

Have never not acknowledged a tiny tiny percentage can exist. But the vast vast majority are not. It would be like finding a rare version of marsupial that does not have a pouch but gestates saying it's the norm. We all know what a marsupial is and its characteristics.

• Advertisement

Its not the norm to be intersex - but it has to be part of the model.

As for transgender people - they represent roughly 0.5% of all humans - not an insignificant number at all.

I have no issue with stating that sex is male-female (with very rare exceptions) and most peoples gender conforms to their sex. What is objectionable is to state that this is a rule that cannot be broken. Thats is the basis of most right leaning transphobics arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dunno - I play conservative bingo and I'm holding out on "LGBTQ agenda" and "Neo-Marxist propoganda".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

7.753bn what's 0.5% if that spread out evenly all over the world. I'm taking that figure at face value also.

The size of a decent country, say the whole Jewish population of the world say. That figure varies up or down by country - but 0.5% puts it at the low end of the scale - a very conservative estimate.

Spread over the entire world that's nothing. Are you suggesting Transgender is a Religion like Jews ? Seems an odd reference unless it's making an emotional point.

1 in every two hundred people is self identified as transgender, one person in each descent sized town. You undoubtedly know someone who is - even if they don't admit it to you. However - most will migrate to a big city for community support at the earliest opportunity so its probably less than 1 in a 1000 in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭briangriffin

It wont be engaged with for a few days and the poster will come back posting and pretending blatant lies were not corrected and continue with said lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes well it's the left that see's it this way, there is a whole spectre of left and on the other side only a hard right. Even if you're a little bit right you're still hard right.

I was not talking about self ID I was talking about xx xy and others. Seems the goal posts have shifted so is the 0.5 self ID ? I know plenty of gay people I used to be bi before I committed to a relationship for 20 years. Non have hidden away from me odd thing to suggest. But my crowd would be more old school and not talk about anything other than LGB. TQI+- or whatever they would never mention outside of condemnation. They brought nothing to and nothing for the movement.

• Advertisement

I have to say your using classic correlation as causation logic to make your point. A child gets puberty blockers because they meet all the criteria for been transgender - so inevitably they subsequently go onto take gender afirming medicines and then eventual surgery.

Its actually very strong evidence that treatments are been targeted appropriately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement