Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

We walked in to Stradbally on Saturday morning for breakfast and to visit the shop, we walked back in along the road straight and in through the main entrance leading to the Red Car Park with no checks at all. There wasn't anyone at that entrance when we came back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Regarding comments about the line up. In defense of EP, I think questionable line ups are the new norm for a lot of major festivals. Even looking at Leeds/Reading they don’t look great. Glastonbury had major acts tbf but they can sell quadruple the amount of tickets and for twice the price.

I think it’s the nature of the industry now cause major acts are getting little to nothing in album or single sales so they are charging extortionate prices for gigs and it’s simply not worth most festivals to go after them.

I also think the divide between major acts and not so major is growing because the quality of music is deteriorating so even younger people are clinging onto aging acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Glastonbury has a very particular model and yes, they have scale and ticket pricing that's higher but they don't pay massive money for the acts. There's a very large exposure and bragging rights element to acts on the main stage there and they get them for far less than the going rate that other festivals fork out.

https://www.nationalworld.com/culture/music/do-bands-get-paid-to-play-glastonbury-how-much-stars-earn-music-festival-biggest-earners-3744593

Post edited by scruff monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

EP Fresher myself this year. Had to say that I personally found the whole weekend brilliant bar one or two minor inconveniences.

The bad:

On the first day we entered, I left my sunglasses in the car so went back by myself to get them from the car but I was pulled up by undercover gardai on the way back in and stripped searched for drugs, (Of which I had none) 😂

The toilets (on the first day especially) were a war crime, no staff cleaning any of the toilets I went near. Must say it did improve from the Sat on.

What drugs was the lead singer from Bright eyes on? (I wouldnt be their biggest fans but by God he was off his head on something, one of the worst live performances ive ever heard).

The good:

Pixies were amazing, I really didn't expect them to be that good. Probably the highlight of the festival for me. Likewise with snow patrol. Even the people overall were grand, didn't encounter many arseholes at all.

Couple of acts I didn't really know but I thought were very impressive were Wolf Alice and Le Boom. Even the Coronas were quite good which I didnt expect given alot of the comments I read here.

Overall definitely something I'd go to again at some point in the future, the whole layout was very impressive as a newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Thundercats on the left, not Poorside. Get it right, Kepler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

Clean sheets never felt so good!!! After 6 days in stradbally it’s back to the day job tomorrow! My thoughts to come when I’ve had a night’s sleep!

Beautiful to be in your own bed alright. As anticipated though, I now can't seem to sleep without the Rave in the Woods going on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Take it up with ATN...'cause I really don't care.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Dany Hitch

What a weekend! Arrived late on Friday to find nowhere to pitch in Poet's Corner, Joplin or Chaplin. Three stewards later, found out that the overflow campsite opened at Hendrix had already been filled. Given the incoming weather, I stayed in the car which granted me perfect sleep over the weekend.

Loved The Pixies on Friday, great vibes. Caught Mall Grab in Terminus after that, exceptional, before rendez-vousing at Transmission: sound crowd.

Saturday's highlight's were Annie Mac and chatting to a bunch of Londoners, one of whom grew up, you guessed it 10 minutes down the road from me!

Standout performance was the amazing Wolf Alice who were everything I expected and more. Ecstatic that they exceeded expectations.

Sunday was very chilled and I spent it wandering around with the missus, sitting down in the sun in the afternoon nearish to the Main Stage, stuffing our faces with food, crepes, ice-cream and basically ambling about the woods, Trailer Park, Salty Dog for the rest of the day before heading home as we were wrecked.

On a critical note, there seemed to be a lack of staff in general this year which was added to by walkouts over the weekend. Friday was slightly chaotic with camping space in gen pop, overflowing bins, portaloos and non-briefed staff. Chronic under-use of arenas like Terminus is unforgivable: you have the facility, use it! Could you find ten local Irish DJ's to rotate over the weekend to play there? Make it a competition on Today FM?

I found it easier getting around the Main Arena so cudos for the redesign. Ditto regarding food prices but I have to say, the quality was there. Could do with increases in portaloos in the Main Arena (wavin point idea by another poster is brilliant and pragmatic), and more bins. Definitely felt like a younger crowd or is it me pushing on but anyone I chatted with, gave directions to or "named that tune" for at 03:20 at the RITW were sound and seemed to be enjoying themselves so no issues there. Great to see people twenty years younger going as apesh1t as me to Da Hool's "Meet Her at the Love Parade."

The lineup will determine if I'm back next year but for now, I think I need another lie down...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

That's definitely true. I was at tons of gigs this summer but no festivals (BST Hyde Park I don't really count). All heritage acts and they're doing their own shows not playing festivals. I looked back at the EP posters for 2018 and 2019 this evening and gave myself a good smack for thinking at the time the lineups were bad when compared with this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Apparently Conor Oberst has been a mess for most of the current tour. Seemed grand in Vicar St on Thursday. Looks like I caught him on a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Unfortunately I’d have to be under 21 to take a case against them , and it’s quite some time since I got the key to the door.

Well look, that discussion is a regular one on here and that argument doesn't really hold up. Plenty of European festivals have had vastly superior line ups this Summer, this is Primavera sound in Barcelona in June for example....

But even staying away from the heavy hitters, something like End of the Road on this weekend had a much more interesting lineup than we did. That's just my opinion of course. The Coronas and the 2 Johnnies had massive crowds though so hey, what do I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

Thanks @Stillill42, forgetfulness creeping up on me; now corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I noticed desktidy somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Brilliant pic! Rubick, now that I’ve seen this pic, I’ve definitely seen you over the weekend, possibly in ECO!

Fair play to the ECO crew! Savours for me, definitely wouldn’t have been there without! Left them a few tins on the way out. Does anyone know what their angle is on EP, do they get paid or what’s the story?

Hats off to them! Free/donation coffee, a charge station (free)

Would really love if they could investigate putting up one of those wooden sound barriers (Like this one between Rankins and comedy)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Agreed. Had some Lagunitas there over the weekend, same price as Moretti, a much stronger and superior beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Pixies have been finishing most of their European tour with Winterlong (Neil Young cover they recorded as a B-side to Dig for Fire) and it's a firm fan favourite. Big singalong for it at the end of the Galway gig I went to. I loved them finishing the EP set with it though I'm with @Stillill42 regarding the newish tracks that killed off the Pixies gig. six I counted. For a set that was twice as long in Galway they only played three unfamiliar tracks. Not a festival setlist at all and the least enjoyable gig of theirs I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Made rookie mistake of going to bed when I came home and now I can’t sleep!

im tired and cranky with moderate fear so il leave my review for another few days

overall I had a brilliant weekend…but the EP magic is gone.

back to body and soul or give ATN a go for me next year.

• Advertisement

What a great weekend! My highlights -

Thursday - Salty Dog No Stars

Friday - Thumper, Fontaines DC

Saturday - The Scratch, King Kong Company, Wolf Alice, Tame Impala

Sunday - Touts

Lowlights - The overall line up was weak. The stewards hadn't a clue where anything was. Signage was terrible and pretty much non-existent.

It was my first time at EP having been going to festivals since '93. Would I go again? Probably. I reckon I might give ATN or Body & Soul a spin instead though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

End of the Road was great, again. If people are bored of EP, like I was 15 years ago, look at EOTR, Green Man etc. Sad to say but the UK just do festivals better.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Post festival blues are setting in.

I didn't sleep great last night. I really think I missed the white noise of the rain on the tent and the rave in the woods.

A day of washing clothes and camping gear ahead if the weather behaves itself.

And to top it all, I was reminded yesterday that I agreed to 2 days training at work tomorrow and Thursday. So my plan of being off until Friday night has also just collapsed. ☹️

Still not ready for review.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bulbymc

Having been to 10+ eps I thought I had seen it all.Staff this year was the biggest let down. the hadn't a clue. The entrance into caravan park Thursday night was a pure disaster. No lights and a staff member who directed us into a bridge and wrecked the back of our caravan. Still our spirits were not hammered and we all had one hell of a wkend

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

An under 21 year old would also have to get over section 5(4)(i) of the equal status act. This is paraphrased on the IHREC website you provided, in the "What's not covered" section, as

"Difference in treatment on the age ground in connection with a dramatic performance or, other entertainment is permitted if the difference is reasonably required for reasons of authenticity, aesthetics, tradition or, custom."

I think any barrister would have no bother arguing that the treatment is reasonable and could take their pick of the four grounds to build their defence on.

For everyone else - review to follow this afternoon and maybe some commentary in the evening.

Yeah. I'd say ATN and their legal team have all the bases covered.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Just back myself, I was there in a work capacity and was supporting mainly ranking woods acts, I may be a little bias, but there was some serious thumping shows on in there, the scratch, kneecap, just fred, 100 gecs(of course).

One i never heard of and was blown away by, was for those i love. Was chatting to the artist and looking up the acts story, really throws the music into a whole other world.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Yes stronger, better tasting, was always freshly poured, and probably had the lowest price differential over the same pint in Dublin which took some of the sting out of the €7.90.

There was also very little queuing at the Body&Soul bar. I did have to wait for the keg to be changed at one point. I must have looked very impatient because different barstaff, every 15/20 seconds, came over to reassure me that it would only be a short wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Where was that onsale? Wound up on Moretti over the weekend in the arena so as to avoid Heinikhaaaaaaaaan.

It's a very very meh beer but the branded bar that they had for it was actually a handy mostly quiet spot over the weekend (until Sunday and the rampaging hordes)

• Advertisement

Thur 12.87 km

Fri 19.27 km

Sat 14.9 km

Sun 16.95 km

Mon 8.5 km

72.5km walked🥹

Advertisement