Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

You pay hundreds maybe thousands at this stage more by not changing energy providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

On the face of it, that doesn't seem like a bad offer. I tend to avoid cashback offers as you pay a higher per unit rate. Generally the companies seem to claw back the casshback amount on the higher rate charged. In this case the unit rate is not bad considering the cashback offer. (Didn't realise you had gas also btw). You'd have to serve out the full 12 months of course. It's rare to see flogas prices on the low-end of the spectrum ...raises my suspicions . 🧐

Seems a really good deal to be honest. Interesting that this deal doesn't show on Bonkers. €440 is pretty decent cashback too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Yeah, worth looking at alright. I'm SSE smart, so 440 would help with the double contract break charge. The good thing with having a smart meter is the ability to work out exactly what new rates would look like for comparison.

It’s worth doing the maths on it. That flogas offer includes lower standing charges than other providers also.

I did the sums based on my parents account -they’d save €413 by switching but minus the exit penalty mid contract comes to €313. With a few further flogas price hikes (based on usage) that saving can easily disappear. So I’d recommend they stay on their current contract (unless the providers waived the exit fee). As the previous poster said

what you get in your left hand you pay out with your right. 😅

Out of contract it seems a super offer. No idea what their customer service is like. Energia had the best in my own experience. The flogas offer deserves a thread of is own I reckon 🙂👍

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

From what I understand you get a tempting offer to switch and it saves you money for a year ... then you have to switch again. This is not new ... standard advice given by Eddie Hobbs back in the day and his replacement Conor Pope now ...

Energy companies tend to lock you into some contract if they can .. meaning you lose out on savings. They are all much of a much .. They will cop onto this switching too ... and find ways to lock you into their contract completely for a period of time ..

What disturbs me most is these companies alignment with sport and charity ... same goes for insurance companies and others too ... why are we paying to keep everything from the GAA to Darkness Into Light funded?? Surely that should be promoted as an option .. not something these companies fund without our say so?

It is time these companies get back to basics .. concentrate on providing gas or electricity and not anything else .. we are being codded and conned for years ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 BigPineapple

You might want to read into the T&Cs. Looks like like if you cancel within 12 months, they will take the whole lot back (??). It doesn't say anything about pro rata basis.

If you cancel your contract prior to the end of your 12-month contract the Cashback/welcome bonus credit applied to your account will be reversed on your account.

https://www.flogas.ie/assets/uploads/documents_autopopulate/Natural_Gas_And_Electricity_Downloads_Residential/C016494%20Flogas%20Cashback%20T&C%20A4_Digital.pdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Ah yeah, I know that. I meant in the context of breaking from SSE now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Pulled the trigger on that Flogas 40/35% plan

*queue imminent price increase announcement*

Even if they do, I suppose it might not be as severe as Energia's inevitable increase.

But who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

I would think that is a great deal. I would consider you a low user of electricity and cashback deals are going to benefit you more. Board Gais's current rate is 29.4c meaning there is a difference of 1.74c per kWh. For the €220 (assume a 50/50 split) bonus to be eradicated you would have to use around 12,500 kWh of electricity a year compared to signing up to Board Gais (I am ignoring the standing charge which would need to be checked).

If you know your gas usage, you can do the same and figure out how much you lose/save.

Fair plé - Keep us posted on how things go with them 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

that Flogas deal looks very good. Dont know why it wasn't coming up on comparison site for me? seems like a no brainer, though Im worried theyll come out with a whopping increase soon. wait till they get the new contracts and then hit us!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Flogas have had that offer since at least June. Their last price increase was announced in July and came into effect 19th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭skinny90

seems like FG is the best deal out there

• Registered Users Posts: 25,071 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Are you ticking No 'available to sign up' box?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Can you switch plans AND get meter changed or must that happen via current provider first ?

What's the easiest route in the provider/plan/meter juggling ?

I dont think it makes much difference. If you switch company, just put in the request with the new provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Tempted by Flogas also.

They upped prices in November last year. Not sure if that is anything to go by.

Ok, so new provider would provide the new meter + new plan. Just wondering if there is a chicken and egg situation here. I guess best to call the provider.

Once your meter is changed you stay on whatever plan you're on only with same discount- but the rate changes are applied to new meter. Not sure about the wait time to change meter ... another chicken/egg thing to factor in. Personally I'd do it before changing provider as dealing with new provider in the initail weeks can be a pain as it is!

With a 'Dual Tariff Meter' (as esb networks calls them), your day rate will be slightly higher. And your standing charge also. I spoke to ESB networks about this recently. They said to make sure you'll be making use of night time rates, do the maths on it (with current provider) and also the fire safety issues to consider like running a dryer/washing machine at night. (Incidentally, the agent I spoke to had a house fire herself.)...just something they make you aware of I guess.

Best speak to your current provider and they'll discuss your current usage ... and if you're happy that you'll benefit from night rate tarriffs, go for it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Interesting thread.

I am going on contract for first time.

Annual Electric use is 1200kwh

24hr meter

Annual Gas: 4, 500kwh (average use)

Low use which may mean the Flogas deal is best. All in flux at present with price increases due or pending.

Any thoughts?

We had smart electric meter installed in the complex. I assume you have to opt into a plan and GDPR stuff before it's active?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Dingaan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Have to get my meter changed if I want to get on energia fixed rate. To do that I have to ask my current provider to ask ESB to change it. I won’t know if or when esb will actually do it or if by then energia rates will of changed.

Ive just cancelled, for the second time, a new offer after yet another company has raised its prices and it seems like airtricity are again the cheapest.

Im actually paying bigger rates then ones after increases so the longer this drags on the more I’m paying. Im going with airtricity… Until something else changes …..

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

EV Plan Energia Price went up today rang customer service and they confirmed I'm locked into the old rate I signed up to yesterday :-)

New Rate is 33.8 day inc vat

Night is 9.73 inc VAT

Bit of a jump from day 29.82 inc VAT and night .892 inc vat

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

I guess that is low. 2bed apt. I have low energy bulbs. I don't leave lights on unnecessarily, or TV etc on standby.

My usage actually went up with work from home. Prior to that, it was about 900kwh.

My heating and electric is way higher than it should be. I am in top floor apartment built 15 yrs ago. There is no ceiling insulation. Heat goes up into the void. I put a thermometer up there and it's about 2/3 deg cooler than my heated apartment. This winter I know I am going to pay dearly for lack of effective building controls and inspection in this country.

That's good for you. Well done on getting the old rate. Fixed energy for 12months. Bargain and peace of mind in time of uncertainty.

Did they ask you to prove you had an EV charge point cert or is it open to all?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,266 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Why is the standing charge on smart plans more expensive than standard plans? What's the logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭GLCC

Quick question folks. Currently on a Electric Ireland Value reward plan. Looks like I can save about €500 by switching to their Energy saver 26 plan. Can you change from one plan to another with the same provider ? Also I presume the credit built up just moves on to new plan ?

My partner also concerned about using appliances at night and fires. 😔

I think I'll work night time with my US employer at this rate. I could work US west coast time 🤣

I do notice that people

- leave lights on all the time

- leave devices on standby

- leave devices charging all the time

- heat the entire house for hours

- expect to wear t shirts in the office in winter

So, I think we could save a lot with just a bit of intelligence..

Anyway, yeah, why do smart meters have higher standing charges as someone mentioned.

It's like RyanAir devised these energy plans and switching nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Asked me had I an electric car I said yes was as simple as that

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

Advertisement