Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

The local spokesman said all are welcome. No limits to numbers.

Maybe someone should ask him a few questions

I saw that and remember thinking that we hadn’t had any rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Plenty?

Ireland is one of the most liberal countries in the whole world. We love cramming the country top to bottom with asylum seekers from countries 1000s kms away that have absolutely no connection to pur country.

This in the middle of multiple serious crises for the country. We even give these asylum seekers priority for many national schemes e.g medical cards, schooling, housing, 3rd level education access.

You name it they got it.

Xenophobic? Pull the other one mate.

Its hard to see how Ireland could be more generous !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Z Party?

Doubt there would much support for Putin TBH, there is some on here, but it's quite fringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

• Advertisement

How are all these hotels now able to afford to house all of these Ukrainians when the price of food, electricity and heating has sky rocketed. Are the government just supplementing their 'income' even more!?

I would really like if the Irish government looked inward and helped the Irish people who truely need help and who are slipping into poverty more and more by the day.

Especially children and elderly. It won't happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Why is it ridiculous to draw comparisons? I mean, you've literally accused "them" - a whole nation - of racism and homophobia, and that's fine, but to say some Irish are also racist and homophobic is ridiculous? Where do your get your EU "fact" from?! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Your wasn't your time on those flag wavers lads. Don't feed the troll's.

Maybe when we run out of tents they will cop on. Most of them are probably not even living in Ireland because if they were they would see we don't have the capacity to feed/house half of Ukraine, Or all for that matter since we have no cap.

Yup, xenophobic. Plenty of evidence right here in this thread.

Calling refugees asylum seekers, for instance. Asylum seekers are generally in direct provision, so obviously need access to medical care if needed - €38.80 isn't going to cover any GP visit. Nobody in direct provision gets access to housing, they're in direct provision centres. Everyone is entitled to an education - would you have children just sitting in DP centres all day every day? Probably, then you'd call them lazy with no desire to integrate or improve themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Does anyone know who I can contact with regards a manor house that is housing Ukrainians?

I want to find out what agreement was made by the owner as it sits beside my farmland and I don't want trespassers disrupting the animals.

• Advertisement

Asylum seekers...refugees...really what's the difference except at different stages of the process.

We are on course to take 80,000 to 100,000 NEWLY arrived asylum seekers/refugees (on top of all previous arrivals) this year along with what 60k non EU and then EU immigrants and you have the absolute cheek to accuse Irish people of xenophobia.

Its a flipping joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

Pensioners all over the country are scared stiff about how they will pay their bills.

I make no apologies about stating that their welfare comes first before any any non citizens.

Thats not xenophobia thats looking after

our own people,our own parents, grannies , grandads, uncles and aunts.

The social supports need to be redirected NOW to them.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/pensioners-turning-off-fridges-and-not-using-cookers-as-cost-of-living-crisis-worsens-charity-warns-41960961.html

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Its a sad state of affairs alright. We need real leadership to stand up to this virtue signaling noncence. They will get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭golondrinas

It’s all about the click baiters since the user numbers went south around the time of the disastrous “ upgrade”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Calling out trolls will get a threat of a threadban. I have direct experience of this. If you don’t hear from me again I will have been banned. Christ I feel I’m in Russia.

You need to ask yourself what has caused the current energy crisis. The answer is one word. Putin.

Why is it always down to the Government? How about the children, grandchildren, nephews and nieces helping us old dears out? Answer is that they don’t need to. Most pensioners are well able to budget and live within their means. After all, most of us have lived through more than one recession! Silly season is almost over. Next topic of concern will be the must have Santa toy this Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

How dare you to presume to know about most pensioners and their incomes . Many pensioners are struggling big time and even before this were using blankets instead of putting the heat on and going to bed to keep warm . You havent clue really have you ?

How dare you presume all us pensioners don’t know how to budget and live within our means! After the summer we’ve had, the need for heating wasn’t too high on our priority list rather the availability of a fan! So what if we have to resort to using a blanket to keep us warm. It was always an option. Same goes for putting a cardigan on in the evenings. One does what one must to live within our means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Because I never once said ALL pensioners did I ? I am one myself you dont have a monopoly on being on but you quite clearly haven’t a bloody clue how some people live

But I am done with your nonsense now anyway because its not the first time you twisted my words and misunderstood on purpose .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

They weren't invited. The doors were opened because of the directive, and then they started to apply to whichever country they chose. They then supposedly get vetted, which seems to be a kid with a pencil asking if they are a boy or a girl, and then lets them in.

Where is your proof that the vast majority will go home? The vast majority have already gone home, and they were ones that chose to stay in countries bordering or very close to Ukraine. There is no evidence that any of them that chose to come to the farthest part of the EU from Ukraine, will go back. How many that came here have gone back so far?

When will they start to go back, when the billions that they are costing us starts to dry up and Ireland is broke? Or when they decide that the country is safe enough to return to? - The same way almost 6 million of them have already decided to return

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's a pity that you, or more importantly the government don't have that faith in the Ukrainians that are here. They must be notoriously bad at budgeting if they are getting their heating and electricity paid for while the pensioners here are expected to put on another layer of clothing and wrap themselves in blankets to keep warm. If only the Ukrainians could learn to live within their means.

No, I have "the cheek" to accuse some Irish people of xenophobia. The ones who invent numbers out of whole cloth, for instance.

The vast majority of us are fine - able to recognise the government is making a hames of things, sure, but not blaming the people who are having the **** blown out of their country for accepting the EU's offer of accommodation and aid until the current crisis is past, not ****-posting about them at every turn, not accusing "them" (all of them!) of being economic migrants, criminals, drunks, prostitutes, racists and homophobes.

Not sure how this has anything to do with Ukrainian refugees. But sure, lump them all in together... 🙄

No beds available in Letterkenny hospital and 43 people on trolleys. Local paper mentioned yesterday there was 5k Ukrainians in Donegal. Roughly 1 in 33/34 people in Donegal are Ukrainian now.

They’re not to blame for the state of medical services but such an instant increase in population in a rural area is only going to worsen the problems. The government seems to dump large numbers in certain places and barely any in others. Surely it should be spread out more evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I know your smarter than all of us.

But your aggression and condescension is not gaining much fans.

1 billion spend this year. Not including other asylum seekers. Not including foreign aid.

But its you who is putting words in my mouth.

What I actually said is look after our elderly FIRST.

THEN we see what is left over to give .

They weren't invited. The doors were opened because of the directive, and then they started to apply to whichever country they chose.

They were invited. That's exactly what the EU directive does.

They then supposedly get vetted, which seems to be a kid with a pencil asking if they are a boy or a girl, and then lets them in.

What's this now? What are you basing this shite on?

Where is your proof that the vast majority will go home? The vast majority have already gone home, and they were ones that chose to stay in countries bordering or very close to Ukraine.

What a lack of logic! You're the one claiming they won't go home, so you come up with some evidence. Innocent until proven guilty, like. What evidence we do have - oh look, you said it yourself - the vast majority will go home!

There is no evidence that any of them that chose to come to the farthest part of the EU from Ukraine, will go back. How many that came here have gone back so far?

And again, no evidence they won't go back.

When will they start to go back, when the billions that they are costing us starts to dry up and Ireland is broke? Or when they decide that the country is safe enough to return to? - The same way almost 6 million of them have already decided to return

So your problem is that "the vast majority" have already decided to return? That some haven't? Maybe because they're afraid of having the **** blown out of them still, or can't return because where they lived is now under Russian occupation, or near a nuclear power station that gets shelled, or they're a little bit traumatised by having lost friends and family? Nice to have so much **** privilege you can begrudge refugees a safe haven for the duration of the Directive 🙄

• Advertisement

1 billion on Ukranians. Probably 100s millions on other asylum seekers.

860 million on foreign aid.

They cleverly insinuated at the start that the Ukranian support was from the EU but its actually funded by Irish taxpayers.

It is time to look after own people first now in this crisis.

PS We dont have a properly functioning housing provision, health service, schools, public transport system or power and energy sector. We don't even have a proper navy or airforce to protect the country. We already spend more money on refugees/asylum seekers than our own defense. We are sitting ducks. You think we have money to throw away?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement