Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

You're coming up to the home stretch. Between half marathon races and 20 mile long runs, the next 3-4 weeks are going to be key. Now is not the time to start second guessing the program. The novice program has helped hundreds in the past. Trust the mentors. Trust the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Thanks, yes I definitely decided that I needed to change the mindset and see them as a chance to work on other aspects of the run and get the practice in with fuelling in particular. After amazon cancelled my order for SIS gels I now can't find them anywhere..!

I saw him the second time just at the end of the Furze road as we both headed up to the Castleknock gate, you must have been just down the Furze road so. The flowing locks are great but I miss the beard, it rounded off the look 😂🤣

Post edited by MisterJinx on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Not sure which SIS gels you are looking for but I have had the same issue with their BETA fuel gels, I have a dozen on order from Denmark currently! Currently working off their chews which are a bit trickier with chewing, hoping the gels will be easier and maybe find some closer to home.

Yeah it's just the regular gels I was going to try as they are supposed to be quite easy on the stomach. Tried directly on their website but they for some reason don't have Ireland in their list to deliver to and Amazon seems to be sold out of them. The one place that had them have cancelled my order....

Might see if I can get the ones I'm using now or try another brand that is more easily accessible...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheRef

I got an order of SiS Isotonic gels delivered last week from Holland and Barrett.

Also picked up a variety pack from Halfords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Would say from experience that brands are much of a muchness for Gels.

The main thing to take into account is whether it's Gel, Aqua Gel, or Gel +Caffine.

If doing a race with water in cups Aqua Gels are a gift from above, also I've found that +Caffine needs to be tested, and tested 2hrs + into a long run as your stomach is in a far different place at that stage than early on.

All said I think having water in bottles is the most important thing for efficiency at a station, all Gels now can ge opened and taken in within a second or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Week 10 Recap: (PMP: 8:01 min/mile, Target LSR Pace: 8:50-9:00 min/mile)

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? Long run moved to Sunday due to rain & recovery moved to Monday.

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace? Yes

Monday: Cross (Tennis)

Tuesday: Planned (4m) Actual (4m @ 8:07/mile)

Wednesday: Planned (8m) Actual (7.73m @ 7:46/mile)

Thursday: Planned (4m) Actual (4m @ 9:14/mile)

Friday: Cross (Pilates)

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Planned (19m) Actual (19m @ 8:48/mile)

Moved LSR to Sunday and was happy to see the sun shine for the whole run. Run took me through Phoenix park too, but unfortunately didn’t see any famous (boards.ie) faces. First time doing the hills on the Khyber Pass road, managed them ok 9ish miles in, so hopefully will be easier on the Half-Marathon.

One question on the topic of fueling re: pre-Race meals. Apologies if it has been asked and answered before, but what is recommended as a pre-race meal. I have heard the term “Carb Load” in the run up to a race to build up glycogen stores – but what EXACTLY does this mean?

Does this mean plenty of large pasta dishes in the 2-3 days before the race, OR 1 big pasta dish the night before the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? Missed 2 runs (Thursday due to being very run down, Swapped LSR to Sunday and didn't do the 2mile recovery the day before instead)

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace? No, as discussed previously Wednesday session was too fast

Tuesday 6.4km at 5:56 on flat path

Wednesday Swim 2km, physio straight after, evening 12.8km as 1.5 warmup 10km at a bit faster than PMP and then the rest cooldown

Thursday - Hit with fatigue and a headcold did some neuro training instead

Sunday - 30.2km at 6:20 along the Dodder to the Aviva and back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

In terms of "Carb Load", there is a technical and scientific approach which others may be better at explaining(i.e for whatever weight you are you should take so many grams of carbs)

I'll try and keep it simple as much as for myself as anyone else. When you "hit the wall" in a marathon which doesn't happen as much as you may hear, its basically your body running out of glycogen. When you run a longer distance you burn through glycogen and fat. Its harder work on your body to turn fat into energy as opposed to glycogen. When you eat enough carbs in pasta, poatoes etc in the lead up to the race, most of the carbs are stored as glycogen in your muscles. It may not make you run faster but it may help you run longer at your desired pace.

I wouldnt be advising changing diet habits too much in race week but I wouldnt to be afraid to go back to the pot for that extra bit of spaghetti/pasta in the 2/3 days prior to the marathon as opposed to one big dish the day before, especially if your not used to eating too heavy the night before a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Last weeks update

Tue: 6.5km @ 5:58

Wed: 13km @ 5:28

Thur: 6.5km @ 6:04

Sat: 31km @ 5:57

Sun: 4km @ 6.14

Everything went as planned this week, the LSR was my longest run ever by 5k. I got absolutely drenched, I quickly invested in some rain gear after it.  It was a strange run as my legs felt very heavy the whole way. I've had a troublesome hip for some time, it flared up a bit afterwards but thankfully felt ok come Sunday morning and has been fine since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Wheelworx are rumoured to be selling Maurten gels @ 6 for €10 because they are nearing their expiry date. I found them very easy to take. Wheelworx now have a shop in Charlestown SC which is near to you. Fueling is an area that most neglect to research and as far as I can see the majority underdo it.

Thanks S, I'll look into that, might get a chance at the weekend. I was considering going to decathlon as well to try theirs and see if they agreed with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Check your email folks - wave numbers are out.

Is there a way to check what time estimate you submitted originally?

I fear my younger, fitter self was more ambitious on finish time so I may be best dropping a wave. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

Wave 4 here. Not sure how much the wave number impacts on things?

@Magellanic same here, can't remember what time I put down either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

See you in wave 4!

What time you hoping for? Can't remember what I put down as I applied in 2020

I got the PowerBar gels in Decathlon a few weeks ago. No bad effects taking them. They are fairly large to be carrying in pockets though.

Grabbed a few Enervit ones in SuperValu for LSR last week and they were grand too

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

So just wanted to drop in and say thanks to Murph_D and all others who steered me to a better place. I gave up on my goal time and instead rested for 9 days and then popped to see a good physio here in Carlow. 3 muscles , 2 in the calves and 1 in the glutes were rock solid and just needed to be loosened. He pressed some painful buttons but feels 100% better.

Thank you all for you advice, you are truly invaluable to us all. I am going to get more time with the physio over the next few weeks aswell to keep things in check. I feel electric again!

I didn't see anywhere after lurking about on Eventmaster. You would prob have to send a mail but either way, its very easy to drop a wave on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

I ended up in wave 2 but will most likely be dropping down on the day!

Also just signed up for the Manchester Marathon next April :) i've well and truly got the running bug!

• Advertisement

Fair play but with the mentor hat on, make sure focus is solely on DCM until end of October!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Absolutely! Going by the same training block of 18 weeks i'll start in December. Until then its only going to be about DCM :)

Yep - that's great.

I guess what we really need to know is where the pacers will be. Will there be, 3:30, 3:45, 4:00 pacers in Wave 2 or would they be more likely in Wave 3?

I realise this information will be avaliable closer to the date but just if anyone had experience.

Taken from DCM Thread via their office apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Further to this....I was listening to a new podcast started by Dan Nash who I follow on Twitter. He has an episode about fueling for a marathon https://open.spotify.com/episode/53iAKfUQhyDJi3yCXHtWzj?si=USu-Zt-KSUOGKFabi09SRg&utm_source=copy-link

He mentions that new research has found that gels with a mix of glucose and one/both of fructose and maltodextrin are best absorbed by the body. He mentions that SIS are only using glucose.

I found it an informative listen for runners of all levels. It definitely highlights the fact that very few people fuel themselves adequately.

Thanks, I'll take a listen as soon as I get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

The SIS beta fuel contains maltodextrin & fructose but seems to be difficult enough to get at the moment!

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

We would like to pay our respects to Thomas FBubendorfer after hearing the very sad news this week that he was involved in an accident while out running and sadly passed away. TFB was a long time moderator and member of boards & very well known in the running community as a whole. I didn't know him personally but read many of his posts & it was down to him that I agreed to become a Mentor this year. After approaching me to do it, I doubted my ability completely & he convinced me to take up the role with lovely & funny messages. There was a minutes silence at the Ratoath half marathon yesterday, impeccably observed.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

WEEK 12

Week 11 was very much a landmark week for everyone - you have come such a long way already - really well done! Only four more (tough) weeks of training before we are into the taper. Keep that consistency going and it will pay dividends come DCM.

It's to be expected to have some level of muscle soreness at this stage as the body is pushed further than before. Plenty stretching and foam rolling will help, but if issues persist then get yourself to a physio.

This week of course features the Dublin City Half Marathon! The plans for the week are as follows:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|4m easy|6m easy|rest|rest|DC HM|cross

Boards|3m easy|4m easy w/5*strides|rest,cross or 3m rec|rest, cross or 3m rec|2m easy|DC HM|2m rec

If you are not racing the Dublin City Half Marathon

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|4m easy|6m easy|4m easy|rest|15m LSR|cross

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m with 5 x 100m strides|8m easy|4m easy |rest,cross or 3m rec|18m LSR|3m rec

We recommend all of you running the HM to use it as a DCM dress-rehearsal. Prepare for this race as if it is the marathon itself. This includes eating, drinking, and sleeping well all week. On Friday eat as you intend to the day before DCM, and similar with your breakfast Saturday morning. Lay out all your gear ready the night before. Wear the clothes and shoes you intend to use on the big day. And of course, enjoy the race!

How was week 11 for you?

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Very best of luck with the week ahead😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Hi all, so I only got 2 runs in midweek again this week but will get back to 3 runs from next week. My run on Tuesday went great but my run on Wednesday was poor. Head was fried, legs felt so heavy so pacing was all over the place. Ran my longest distance ever yesterday and found the last k tough going but felt fine after it and all good today. I'm following the HHN1 plan so only 2 runs this week and then the half in Phoenix Park on Saturday. I was going well yesterday until I hit 14k and had forgotten that it was almost a 2k climb from my usual route to the road but once I got this out of the way all was good until I hit 25k.

Runs this week were as follows

Tuesday 6.5k @ 5.43

Wednesday 8.5k (was all I had time for) @6.06

Saturday 26k @6.06

I took a gel at 9.5 and 17.5 but think I'll take one at 8k and 15k for the half? Would that be advisable? Any tips would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

I have a few things to go to on Saturday afternoon and Sunday next week so decided to do the Ratoath half marathon yesterday instead of the Pheonix Park next week.

Started carbing up on Thursday evening with a Carbonara in a local Italian.

Hydration is usually good but made an extra effort to get the water on board all day Friday and finished off with a big bowl of tortellini and chicken breast.

Race was at 09:30 on Saturday so set the alarm for 06:30. Had my usual breakfast (oats, whey, almonds, blueberries, greek yogurt, peanut butter and milk) straight away. Then had a nice warm shower and got in to the running gear. Got an isotonic drink on board and did a small bit of a stretch.

Got to Fairyhouse about 45 minutes before the off and got hit with an awful rumble in the stomach. Quick pit stop and we were good to go. Went for a little warm up run of about 1.5km and then got a gel in on the way to the start line.

Previous Strava best for a 1/2 was 1:57 so I settled in behind the 1:50 pacer in a hope to keep as close to them as possible.

Legs felt good from the start and found the 1:50 pace very easy to stick with. Couple of people kicked on from this group around 9km in and I decided I'd go with them and see how I felt.

All was good and took a gel on around 11km and then another around 16km.

Found myself stuck between 2 groups from about 15km but made the decision that my legs felt good at current pace so didn't drop back or burst myself trying to catch the one on front.

Picked up the pace small bit for the last 1.5km and passed a few on the run in.

Finished just in just under 1:47 so happy enough with that.

Advertisement