Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'd imagine part of the issue with doing that is the sense of entitlement that drivers have. Once they can drive it from 7 to 7, they'll be far more likely to break it at the other times, so they need to be kept off the road at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

There's been a marked uptick in drivers breaking red lights, speeding, and using the bus lane since the works began. If drivers are given an inch, they'll take a mile.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly, motorbikes aren't allowed in bus lanes but let's not get bogged down with that.

Why should it be open to cars 24/7? Why should any bus lanes not be open 24/7 for that matter? Bus services are now running 24/7 so we should keep the bus lanes open for them. People moan that bus services are slow and then when you do something to improve their passage, some people moan because they want to use their cars there.

I think you are now demonstrating the point being made by @Citizen Six

Can you give one good reason why this bus lane should be open to drivers at certain times so that inbound drivers don't have to take a short detour?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

What's the point having a 24/7 bus lane on the North Strand if there isn't even going to be a bus stop on it...

• Advertisement

I wasnt aware that the bus stops were removed. Can you clarify which ones aren't there anymore?

Anyhow, there are several 24/7 bus lanes around Dublin, some without stops. Those roads work fine though.

DCC announced last week the permanent removal of 7x bus stops along the C2CC route including the 2 main bus stops in the heart of North Strand (617 and 4384). This was not in the planning approval and even a document issued by DCC in March 2022 included all current bus stops.

They haven't provided any justification for this, although I see on the link below, they have updated to say it is based providing a bus stop within 3-5minutes walk of residents in the catchment. This is not true as a significant portion of North Strand residents will now be 6-7minutes walk. That doesn't consider the elderly or other mobility challenged members of the community who will have to trudge to the top of the hill, over the canal and halfway to the Five Lamps to catch a bus to Talbot Street. More like a 10-12minute walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭3d4life

"DCC announced last week the permanent removal of 7x bus stops along the C2CC route" - do the bus companies and/or TFI have any say in this ?

Are they gone or planned to be removed? My understanding was that so far it's just the plan.

I don't believe anybody was seriously consulted about these decisions. I agree there are too many bus stops along this route. 3 inbound stops along Fairview Park is unnecessary given the lower density of housing here, so removal of 1 is fine.

The removal of 1 inbound stop along Amiens Street makes sense, no need for 2 stops here. However, it is extremely short sighted to remove the stop next to Preston Street, at the proposed new entrance to Connolly.

As for my main issue, the removal of stops in North Strand, they have justified on their webpage the following

"The bus stop spacing was prepared based on a review of international best practice taking account of the geometric constraints on the street and the level of demand at each location."

.... however they haven't actually provided any data or evidence whatsoever, over and above this statement, to back up their claim. Their claim of a 3-5 minute walk is also categorically untrue.

This is not just about North Strand. What happens when Bus Connects start work on the core bus corridors? Do DCC get to move and remove bus stops, however they please, without any consultation or explanation to the communities affected?

• Advertisement

No they are still there. Not sure when exactly they 'plan' to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No news on the guarantee that the traffic restrictions would be removed then @Larbre34 ?

So getting back to your question "What's the point having a 24/7 bus lane on the North Strand if there isn't even going to be a bus stop on it..." there are still bus stops so a 24/7 bus lane is justified!

Well my comment was made in jest, given the level of criticism I got last week, when I took issue with the bus stop removal plan.

I'm 100% for extended bus lane operating hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Looks like the balls-up has yet to happen. Schools back a week now and no real traffic difficulties in the North Strand and Ballybough area in the mornings anyway. If anything the traffic is moving better than it used to. It seems people have taken heed and are either avoiding the area, avoiding rush hour or using alternative means of transport. Works seem to be progressing nicely all along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So it has survived the school run test too. All is good. No balls-up after all!

These things are always catastrophised by a small number who get disproportionate airtime

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I passed through Fairview this morning at around 7:30. Big problems being caused by cars blocking the yellow box on the Howth Road intersection leading to right turning traffic unable to enter the road (taxi driver was the biggest culprit here but was certainly not alone).

DL reg Opel drove straight through to Amiens Street without a bother on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Compo82

Not sure what you deem good, there were fairly long tail backs on Richmond road and Ballybough moved very slowly. There were never any issues in them places before the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

there were absolutely issues there for decades now, I went to school in Fairview and then used to get a lift to college sometimes via Summerhill, it was always at a standstill.

• Advertisement

Cars abusing the yellow box there is nothing new.

Ballybough always moves slowly. I generally avoided it long before the works ever started.

Well there was a rights balls up this morning, traffic was struck on Grace Park rd all the way up to Griffith Avenue because it was all clogged on Richmond rd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Fairview and Marino are absolutely mental this morning. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen phillipsbourgh Avenue, Brian road or Griffith avenue this busy. It’s been at a near stand still this morning. Truly amazing the aversion Irish people have to a bit of rain.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Howth road junction was very bad too, cars in the yellow box brought the whole place to a standstill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I live in the area and am completely okay with the intention of the bus/bike lane, love the plans....

but....

the temporary one way system is the wrong way, Coming inbound currently, you get to Hillbillys, and have to cross the outbound lane to get towards Ballybough, so outbound is stopped. If outbound is flowing, then inbound is stopped. At any moment there, only the outbound OR inbound lane can operate, so both directions are at 50% capacity. If the outbound had been directed to Ballybough, and the inbound as the one way, you would double the inflow (bar the 10-15% of time you need for the crosswalk).

Then you've the same prblem cars who have gone through Ballybough, having to cross back over the inbound lane getting towards Amiens Street. I've no idea why they redirected it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just as a reminder, the main purpose of the works and the main reason for project taking 18 months of road closures is for the water main works, not the bus/bike lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

If 40% of people cycled or walked for their peak hour trips and 40% took public transport there'd be no congestion. As long as the infrastructure exists for people to walk cycle and take PT quickly and safely, it doesn't really bother me personally if people choose to queue up in cars for long periods of time. Shame about the kids who have asthma and have to breath in the fumes but I guess health isn't much of a consideration in policy these days.

Yes, but the congestion just causes more fumes.

I generally don't cycle in weather like we have today. But equally, I won't get in the car, as I couldn't handle the increased traffic. I'd take the bus or train.

But I have bulky tools and equipment to move today. So I'll try and time a gap where it's not raining, and go on the cargo bike.

We just need more people to embrace not driving. And it's not all or nothing, like a lot of the anti cycling brigade seem to think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

If you design any road to reduce local emissions by optimising vehicle speed and throughout, you actually end up increasing emissions across the whole city because a better road network encourages more people to drive. Eventually so many people drive that congestion returns and emissions rise even more. It’s counter-intuitive but there’s plenty of research to show it in action across the world.

Look at any of the world cities with great public/mass transport systems and you’ll still see congestion on the roads above/below. Some people will drive even when there’s a good alternative because the alternative doesn’t suit them specifically or because they prefer to drive.

Advertisement