Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Soroka to nudge out Ryan soon? Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I can’t believe people actually bite. Maybe if he changed his user name back to tRoL they might get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Delete, sorry wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

I don’t see what the issue is with rating one player over another. It is after all a discussion forum. I rate Soroka very highly. What’s the harm in saying I think he will dislodge other players. Some might call it outlandish but if Leinster are to stay true to the mantra of meritocracy he should be selected. I will concede it should be off the bench in big games to start with, but thereafter, there is nothing to say he won’t be first choice. In fact it is absolutely right to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

If Leinster are trying to break free of being a side who can play nice rugby, but ultimately get overcome by physical sides when it comes to the crunch, then playing Soroka at lock is really counterproductive to that. Bringing in Jenkins, fast tracking McCarthy last season, and using Baird at 6 a lot towards the end of last season, would suggest that they are trying to overcome that physicality deficit.

I believe Soroka is by far best suited to the half-lock/5 and a half role, who can maybe cover LH lock on occasion. His athleticism, lean frame and lineout ability are best suited to that IMO. But I really hope we don't try to mould him into a lock long-term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I mean if you value your opinion as gospel then yes. But if you value your opinion as gospel then a discussion forum probably isn’t the place for you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maloney has years of playtime so we have a fair idea of what he's capable of. McCarthy and Soroka have barely 10 games between them.

I don't think we can really say anything definitive about either just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DelMcG

A couple of interesting things to note here: Temi Lasisi is indeed playing tighthead as noted here previously. Also, Tadhg McElroy is playing hooker. Had no idea he was back in Ireland, let alone at Leinster. Let's hope he's being better advised these days! Alex Soroka in the 19 jersey as well, so maybe they do indeed see his future at lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's a very Raw selection? I don't recognize some of the names.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DelMcG

Yeah I'd say it's almost an even split of names I know & those I don't.

I really wish they'd resurrect the B&I Cup. That was always a great way to become a rugby hipster & follow players "before they were cool"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It doesn't say if there's any way to watch it. Anyone know if it's televised?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Wasnt going to be anything but. Many of these A games are.

Always can go to AIL games and you can see plenty of up and coming players and players that may never want or desire to go pro even if good enough

televised. never, leinster in general dont want many of these games streamed. may get some highlights next week though

A game Finished 37-22. Leinster were 29-12 up at half time and cruising. Then took off Lasisi and Deeney and the scrum crumbled. Two penalties given away in the first scrums after they went off.

Cosgrave, Foley and Culhane were the standouts for Leinster in the first half. The whole pack functioned well in the first half and the scrum was rock solid. Not so in the second half, where Leinster became sloppy around the pitch and terrible in the scrum. Both McElroy and McCarthy had two over thrown lineouts each. Lynch was 2 from 7 off the tee.

Connacht to have the same issues with Maul defence at A level that they have at senior. Three Leinster tries coming off of mauls, two directly from the maul and one finished off with pick and go’s after a strong maul by Leinster.

Only Connacht player who stood out to me was their right wing. Scored twice and looked dangerous every time he got on the ball. Made a few Leinster players look silly at times.

A brutal kick from Ben Murphy lead directly to a try. As did an equally brutal clearance attempt by Lynch.

Some good stuff on display but a lot to work on for a lot of these players to be challenging for fist team starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I'm surprised Culhane hasn't been more hyped coming out of the 20s, wouldn't say he's far off being a Doris level prospect. Probably no harm tbh.

Connacht's 14 was Josh O'Connor, former Leinster sub academy I believe. Looked good against Sale also, powerful player.

O’Connor had really good feet and awareness. I’d say his meters made where huge along with the tries.

Culhane is one of those players that looks like he doesn’t have to try. That it just comes easy to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Just wondering. McElroy isnt listed in Mens squad or in the Academy. Is he on a trial at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

pretty much, Lee Barron got injured against Harlequins, needed a body.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Team for the opener?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

What’s the deal with the gift pack for season ticket holders? There’s been no communication from Leinster on it and the website FAQ for it hasn’t been updated either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Injury update: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leo-cullen-issues-injury-update-3/

"There was positive news on a number of players with Rónan Kelleher (shoulder), Dave Kearney (hamstring), Will Connors (knee) and Ross Byrne (foot) all back and available for the first game of the new season.

Cullen also gave a positive update on Joe McCarthy (ankle) and Jordan Larmour (knee) who are due to train fully with the rest of the squad next week as they recover from procedures over the summer.

Unfortunately four players have had setbacks over the pre-season schedule with Hugo Keenan (knee and abdominal issue), James Lowe (calf) and Liam Turner (toe) all out for a number of weeks.

In addition, James Tracy underwent neck surgery over the summer and he will be out of action for a longer period of time, up to four months.

There was no update on Tommy O’Brien (knee) or Charlie Ryan (knee) who both remain on the long-term injured list."

So, I suppose the team will be along these lines:

1. Michael Milne
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Michael Ala'alatoa
    4. Jason Jenkins
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Will Connors
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. David Kearney
    12. Charlie Ngatai
    13. Jamie Osborne
    14. Robert Russell
    15. Max O'Reilly
    16. John McKee
    17. Marcus Hanan
    18. Thomas Clarkson
    19. Alexis Soroka
    20. Scott Penny
    21. Cormac Foley
    22. Sam Prendergast
    23. Chris Cosgrave

Charlie Ryan long-term injured again explains why they've got Cormac Daly in training with them.

• Advertisement

Charlie Ryan hasnt played a game of rugby since 2020.

Last few seasons they've been there for collection in the RDS at the first home game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What about season ticket holders who don't go to any games?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Were they not posted last few years? Big kerfuffle last year about import duty.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That was last year and was because of Covid. The few years before that they were collected at the 1st and 2nd games.

The few years before that again they were posted. I reckon they'll be there for collection this year though, as posting would cost a fortune comparatively.,

They can send me their season tickets and I'll collect for them 😁

They are being given out at the Treviso game

Is he playing AIL do you know?

Always struck me as a guy with a lot of potential, really big and physical. Didn't work out well for him moving to the UK when he did, but pretty strong trial performance Saturday.

No AIL, maybe he will this season. Doesn't have a pro contract at the moment afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Indo reports that Leinster are lining up a friendly against Chile during the November Internationals. It will be played at Donnybrook.

Advertisement