Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I was already with them for both gas and electricity but on a tariff they no longer offer. I’m still not convinced your gas rate will be fixed, precisely because of the language under “Please note” on your letter about all prices being subject to change. I don’t think my gas is fixed either but I think I’ll ring them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭baldshin

Great spot, will follow up with them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 irewestlad

Ok thanks guys. So it sounds like I request to take out the smart meter and move to a Day/Night meter. I’m not worried about FiT, most of what I produce in excess will go into an EV.

I still don’t understand why the providers can’t offer a good night time rate on smart meter plans - seems to be obvious price gouging.

thanks for the help - this thread is brill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Day rate has crept up again on Energia EV plan, now 33.8c and 9.73c night.

Meanwhile their smart plans have also crept up and still offer incredibly bad value in comparison: 32.37c day, 23.14c night, 33.92c peak, but far better value than most of the recent, which really says something about how much smart meters are nothing but an exercise in price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just checked it myself too. So that means since I signed up (and fixed rates), the day and night rates have increased by 5c and 2.7c respectively.

Since I'll only be using night electricity going forward (8.2kWp solar installed yesterday, 20kWh of storage coming shortly), Id still be happy with fixing at 9c but I reckon when my contract is up in July they will have gone up a bit further too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Wow didn’t take them long. This is what I see on their EV plan for Duel Fuel with Night/Day meter. It was cheaper just yesterday I think

I still say even with the 2 price increases it makes sense to have this tariff. Especially as the rates are fixed for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Got my confirmation email now. I signed up Thursday morning around when the rates where going up the first time, but on the phone I was told the cheaper rate (e.g. approx night rate of 7.9c instead of 8.3c). This is what I agreed to when signing up, do I have much chance ringing them and push to get the lower rate? Call was recorded etc.

I know this ‘higher’ rate is still competitive but it’s not what I signed up for, the rate was fixed and not the normal variable plans. Gas is also higher so I’m losing out there too. I guess they could just mention the cooling off period as an out…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

So if you're in the cooling off period you can't sign up to another supplier, absolutely **** ridiculous. Cancelled Airtricity and switched to Energia, heard nothing for a week so logged in to see a letter on my account saying it was cancelled. On the phone with them an hour only to confirm there's a 20 day restriction on moving to a new supplier if you're in the cooling off period. So not only do I lose the 7.9c rate with Energia I'm losing the 8.3c rate too, plus I'm paying out of contract rates with Electric Ireland for another 3 weeks.

Not too fussed about the night rate, anything under 10c is fine it's just the crappy day rates I'm annoyed about.

Yes this rule seems to have been little known until recently. You're not the first person Ive seen affected recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

i signed up last Wednesday and the prices have gone up twice since - still waiting on the welcome pack.

And 100% they will put me on the new rates until i have to call them and remind them of what was agreed - looking forward to that waste of a phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Signed up Sunday morning, no welcome letter. But my EI accounts are clearly in the stages of being closed. But no confirmation of the rates I will be landing on! (or indeed, how Fixed they will be!)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭electricus

There is no technical reason but it must make sense business wise, I suppose it would cost too much to give cheap rates to everyone with a smart meter.

I had to call ESB networks as SSE are refusing to request a meter change. ESB said they are getting lots of similar calls (mostly EV owners) and confirmed that they are not blocking requests to change. They seemed a bit baffled about why suppliers don’t offer EV plans to customers with smart meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Based on how they are already running the smart meter rates at present, I wouldnt trust the providers whatsoever. If they continue with that people will be hacking the "smart meters" to under report - either that or there is going to be civil unrest in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

They are not allowed to refuse a meter change, I would be making a formal complaint to the energy regulator (the useless git they are). And letting SSE know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭electricus

If I hadn’t read about all the switchers here then I would’ve believed them and just left it…

I’ll be emailing the regulator and might CC Eamonn Ryan too, for what it’s worth.

Having to rip out a newly installed smart meter to get access to a better tariff is just insane, but if that’s what it takes…

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liam2021

I signed up to energia EV plan on Thursday, no letter etc yet. I call them today and again they confirmed that the rate I joined up on was fixed and I asked was the standing charge fixed? They confirmed everything on the plan was fixed to what I signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Hang on, so if you are with supplier 1, move to supplier 2 but cancel before the 14 days is up, you're then stuck unable to move to supplier 3 for 20 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Have just done this. Was with EI up to mid-August,. moved to BG and then after the savage price rises there I called up BG and cancelled on day 13 of the cooling off period and was able to switch to Energia later that day - all working fine now. Process is remarkably simple these days actually.

Post edited by MojoMaker on

• Advertisement

I recently signed up for the Duel Fuel EV plan before the most recent price increases. I called Energia and they confirmed that they are honouring the price that I signed up to at time of application. They also confirmed that the Electricity rate is fixed (happy days) for the term of the contract but this doesn't apply to Gas (which is a variable rate). Lastly, for those that signed up recently, they said it could take up to 2 wks before you receive your welcoming package which includes information on your rates you signed up to, T&Cs etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Thanks for the update - as a matter of interest, I wonder when the cooling off period starts? Because surely it would be not allowed for the period to have finished by the time you get your information letter with confirmed T&C's etc. ?

Unfortunately I don’t know. I moved over from EI and when I log into EI now, it indicates my accounts are closed so I assume the cooling period starts from the time the accounts with the previously provider are closed/frozen. EI did send me a text indicating that they will call me shortly to discuss my account, probably their last ditch effort to convince me not to switch over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Are you getting your meter changed? I'm in the same boat with BG flatly refusing to request a meter change even though esbn have said it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

I signed up with Energia on Monday & specifically asked about when the cooling off period starts. The person I dealt with said that it would start immediately.

I’m hoping they’re right, because I need to wait 14 days before requesting day/night meter from them. This means that I can’t sign up to the EV deal with fixed rates until then. God knows what the rates will have gone to by then 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

I signed up 11 days ago and got the email allowing me to register today. Didn't get any physical letters yet, but there are two letters in my online account in which there is no mention of the EV plan or the tariffs. I can't find mention of them anywhere in my account. Going to have to ring them to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

I signed up to energia ev plan last weds(aug 31)just before price increase,shortly after gave them bank details and got an email with the rates-that'll do for me!(still nothing in post).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I don't really follow this.

Did you sign up for a 24hr plan and will then transfer to the EV offer when you have the day/night meter

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭glen123

I signed up 16th of Aug, got a letter towards the end of Aug dated the 18th confirming the rates. Welcome pack with Account no to register only arrived on the 6th of Sept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Yes, exactly! Until such time as I get the day/night meter I’ve been put on the 24 hour Energia plan (I also asked if there would be a charge for changing plans & was assured that there wouldn’t be).

Advertisement