Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I have no idea what your handicap is

a tiered system is more flawed than a handicap system, just like the different tee approach, those at the top of each tier win, if you move up a tier you lose the chance to win, so no incentive there

You ever really beat the better player in reality. What difference is it if someone has 5 shots on you or 20

A tier is the only option for something like Tennis where its 1 vs 1 sport, but you could go up a tier and not win again, which is zero fun

The chances if you went in match play versus a high handicapper is that you will beat them out the gate, you will most likely shoot near you handicap, them 10 over it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sure, but only in golf are the elite competing directly against the ...."less elite"!

The reason it was (and still is) not 100% in fourballs is down the the potential deviations. Fourballs makes this even worse, so higher guys give up more shots.

Possibly in a 1:1 match the +4 guy would have the edge, but Im not so sure, I reckon Joe would would hold his own. When there are multiple Joes its game over.

Its not accurate to say you only got 1 shot a year. You only gone one automatically but the handicap sec was free to give you more if needed. I frequently gave people 2 or 3 shots back at the end of the year as it was clear they needed them.

I think it does make odds either way, as it shows that ignoring all else WHS doesnt balance out anything. The 80 year old off 28 doesnt want to be directly competing with the 20 year old off 28.

Its not extreme at all, as people are hitting the ball further and further, the back tees move further back. No course wants to cut the extra fairway so the carry to reach the fairway is getting longer and longer. If you dont make the carry you are probably in deep rough and wont be able to poke more than a wedge out, and that is quite likely to not make it, since your tee shot only went 100 yards.

I see it every weekend, an old guy knocks down a tee shot and is overly punished as no one was expecting anyone to be hitting from there, even though it was a straight shot. Queue a 9+ score on a hole, all because the tee shot requires a longer carry than many of the old guys can handle. You cant just keep giving them shots to make up for this, it doesnt work like that. A par 3 with a forced carry over water is the same thing, forget about it from 200yards for the old guys, they whack a driver and use the drop zone. They never have a chance of making it, so its just silly to force them.

Right you are!

What I meant was that everyone is now shooting the same score on average. This seems bizarre as there is no way that everyone plays to the same level on average. Most people go through periods of greatness followed by periods of pure muck.

It would be interesting to see the other stats that could be made available from HowdidIdo, I would expect that the differentials for each category would make interesting reading.

You are basically arguing that there is no inventive for someone to try to improve as they wont win?

If thats the attitude that WHS wants to encourage then I'd call that a total failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

It will be interesting to see what happens at the next Golf Ireland AGM, I’d expect a number of motions to amend how we adopt WHS or to return to the old system.

My own take is it’s a little too early to throw it out but there are issues.

— 5 shots is too much, bring it back to 2 shots or at least bring in the hard cap earlier.

— Keep the 54 handicap if they want but reintroduce the non competition handicap, maybe set to kick in after 36.

— Reduce the number of GP rounds allowed. Maybe something like a percentage of the comp rounds. Something like, if I play 30 comp rounds I can have 3 GP rounds, play 50 and I can have 5.

— Go like the rest of the world and bring in CR as part of the playing handicap calculation, for many courses this will allow lower handicap golfers to be competitive against higher handicap golfers in multi tee comps, where the par off the back tees is the same as the pat off forward tees.

Post edited by Golfgraffix on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

That's true, and I think the key here is average. It could be one of those situations where numbers can be made to show something that's not really there. 10 guys shooting 40pts and 10 guys shooting 20pts is still a field average of 30, but the reality is the field wasn't really shooting much the same score. Not really sure if that's a positive or a negative tbh, it does fit in with a guy's H/C being a mix of higher and lower scores than his index, and some of the field will be on a good day, some on a bad one.

You could be right, and I wouldn't care for a second if CONGU came back, but why would Ireland want to abandon the system that's now in use around the world ? I don't see it happening tbh. I could obviously be totally wrong, but I can't see the 5 shots being changed much, because less than that, and you're into a kind of hybrid of CONGU and WHS and would be a complete mess. Kind of like, "yeah, you're playing bad, but we can't let you have those shots, well, just in case....." All that would do would reduce the number of players that are, based on their last 20 rounds, potentially competitive every weekend. Maybe the soft cap earlier might work after 2 rather than 3 shots, but honestly I think the biggest issue is that WHS has pretty much completely redefined what a golf handicap actually is, and we're all struggling to accept that. We still seem to want an element of "potential" in the handicap, no doubt because that's what we're all used to for years/decades, whereas WHS isn't that at all, its purely current form.

Not saying its anyone on here, but under CONGU before there was ever WHS, you had people complaining about bandits winning the Captain's, and under WHS you have people complaining about bandits winning the Captain's. Lower guys complaining about higher guys has been part of golf since forever I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

But under CONGU a good score of 4 under your handicap (40 points) was gonna be a winning score more often than not.

4 under ones CONGU handicap was a great score, but while very achievable for a lot more higher handicap players than lower handicap players, the lower guys could still hit a target like that on their day.

now it seems that 45 is the new 40 (says the 45 year old 😁) and that is much much much easier for a higher handicap player to score and next to impossible for a very low player to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭newport2

We had the Vice-Captain's prize this weekend gone. First prize was won by 49 points off 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The guys with the higher handicap are favoured because of their higher variance. So the article that kick started this conversation.

For WHS to be fair it actually needs a variance factor applied. This variance would be individualised and based on your last 20 rounds. It would also **** up the handicap builders as their variance would go up

So your score would change to something like

(Stableford Score - 32) / 2 x SQRT(Variance)

32 is picked arbituarily as it gets difficult when negative to look at too for winners

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

General play rounds is the only thing I would have a major objection to. Part of why they were brought in were for people who can't play the weekends to still keep and maintain a handicap. Reduce them to a 1/10th of the competition rounds and you might aswell not have them at all . ( which I'm sure some people would be thrilled about )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

It would be good to compare the current WHS handicap versus the old Congu handicap of some of these 48+ winning scores

They could perhaps do something like limiting them to one per week provided no competition is played that week. That way anyone can enter 4 qualifying scores monthly if they can't enter comps. If they do enter comps, then no general play rounds needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

There were 48 plus scores before. Usually by same people....new players improving fast

Look we have to be honest about it.

People are calling for a ban on casual scores because they believe they are being used for handicap manipulation.

if someone wants to manipulate their handicap, they will do it, casual rounds or not.

they were introduced to make golf more inclusive and to be less discriminatory. It’s a good thing IMO. A very good thing. Not everyone is using them to manipulate their handicap, indeed say very few are. But if you have stats to back it up, I’m all ears.

points like @newport2 where you can enter a supplemental score provided there is no club competition that week is as equally discriminatory. What about the lad who has a family with responsibilities or who does shift work etc and can’t play in the sole weekend competition …… or the fella who just doesn’t want to play in a competition? You are just saying that these people can’t have a handicap and they aren’t welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gringuss

I'm not so sure people want casual scores banned because they think they're being used for manipulation, like you, I think there's very little of that in reality. I'd say its more that people think unless its in competition and with a card in the pocket, it doesn't or shouldn't count.

I actually doubt there's much deliberate manipulation goes on anyway. Most people don't really care enough to go to all the effort required, with a few honourable exceptions. I suspect these 48pts etc are more to do with pretty much the whole field being handicapped, let's say "differently" under WHS, and the winner could come from anywhere. If you have 150 guys teeing it up, and maybe 100-120 of them high handicaps based on their current form, there's a good chance a couple of them will have a hot day. Under CONGU there might the same number of high guys, but they probably hardly ever played close to their H/C. Almost by definition, everyone is beating their index close to 20-25% of the time now regardless, based on average of best 8 out of 20, probably being 4 above and 4 below the index.

I get you, and its hard to disagree with any of that.

But, and I'm only teasing this out as I'm typing it tbh, if 36pts under CONGU was theoretically playing close to your best, as the system stated it was meant to be, what would have been considered an "average" score ? 40pts might have been beating the average by 10pts under CONGU.

Under WHS you certainly don't have to play to your best for 36pts, its not designed like that. So if the average is now a few points higher (and its a lot higher than before in the higher H/C categories) it might make sense that the winning score is correspondingly higher. Maybe you're right and 45 is the new 40 !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

incentive?

that is what a tiered system promotes

with a handicap you can win at any level, if you shoot a better than average score

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Obviously it's easier and more likely for a high handicapper to shoot the lights out and score considerably better than their handicap suggests.

At the moment, the way your handicap is calculated is as follows:

You can see the "adjustment" column stops being used in the calculations after 6 cards have been entered.

What if it was changed so that in order to play in a competition you must first have a fully developed handicap i.e - 20 scores submitted? But also to allow for the sometimes wild variance in scores submitted by high handicap players? Something along the lines of "If your hcp is 20 and above, then your index will be the average of your lowest 8 scores, minus a further 10% to account for the variance."

By the way, I say this as a high handicap golfer who struggles to play to his hcp! But I understand the frustration shown from both sides of the argument.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

A lot of folk don't get the regular opportunity to play Home Comps as they are otherwise occupied at weekends. Weekends for me are currently DIY and Family stuff and my weekend golf is mostly Society, haven't played my home course since June 11th. But I've 8 other rounds logged since then, two of them society comps and an Open, 5 casual.

Of my current 20 counting rounds, 12 are casual mid week rounds (where there was no Comp on the course played), 2 are Open Comps, 3 are Society Comps, 3 Home Clubs comps.

To eliminate the 12 casuals would push me back into less than 20rounds and not a fair reflection of all the golf being played. Interestingly only 2 of my 8 Counting Rounds are casual, I never noticed that before, maybe I concentrate more in Comps?

I don't think there is a perfect handicap system and separate to that anyone can manipulate or cheat any system, we all know it's easy to put down a 4 instead of a 5 (or visa versa) and nothing will crack down on that

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Or maybe the 95% competition handicap becomes 80%

harder hit on the higher handicaps

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gringuss

You've just excluded a bunch of new golfers from playing competitions, which in our club is 3 days of the week. As was said earlier we shouldn't be excluding people from playing golf in an attempt to target handicap manipulation by the few.

I do agree clubs could limit 'overall winner' of majors/big comps to those with a fully developed index, but we can't then put limits on the number of general play cards that can be submitted and/or charge admin fees for general play cards which I've seen in quite a few clubs.

Our club has had 18 'big competitions' this year (medals, cups, majors). 4 have been won by handicap range 0-9 (22%); 8 won by handicap 10-18 (44%); 6 won by handicap 19-27 (33%); 0 won by handicap 28+.

10 of these events were stroke play with best winning score -6. Other winning scores: -5; -4; -4; -4; -3; -2; -2; -2; E

8 of the events were stableford with best winning score of 45 points. The other winning score were: 43; 42; 42; 42; 41;41; 40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Or maybe you apply a percentage to your score relative to par. So a 10 under for a 30 handicapper becomes 5 under, for an 18 handicapper 8 under or something. You'd probably have to go the other way for matchplay where the lower handicap player has the advantage - if a scratch is playing a 25 handicapper, maybe we should bump the 25 handicapper up a few shots.

I really do wonder though if we even know what we're discussing. We're debating a problem, but no-one actually knows the detail of it. Until we get real figures from golf Ireland we don't really know what we're arguing about.

And something which I really do think would help is a cap on prizes. They're far too extravagant in golf in Ireland. A friend of mine runs at a good level - I suppose the equivalent of someone playing in the Irish close and the like. The prizes in athletics for winning decent races would hardly cover your petrol there. Whereas in golf for winning a midweek open you'd probably expect a minimum of a €60 voucher. And for winning a big club comp you could have a fancy bag, top of the range shoes, etc.

Also, we want different things from a system. So we're not sure what the system actually is doing, we don't agree on what we think it should do, but we still are discussing how to fix it.

Good points. Going back to basics, I would see the handicap system as having two key purposes:

1 A way of levelling the playing field for everyone. I don't think it really does for all levels of golfers currently, but I don't think there is one system that will allow a large number of low and high handicappers to compete on a level playing field. The deviations for a good day vary too much between them. I think that's just the way it is.

2 Benchmark yourself on improvement, which to me is the most fun in golf. Competing against yourself on a weekly basis makes every round count. WHS works really well for this, and IMO, this is the most important part.

But there's simply conflicting things that we want from handicaps. We want them to be suitable for going out with your mates and playing a mini comp in your 4ball. If all handicaps are yielding similar average scores this is probably okay at the moment. We also want the most exceptional scores to be rewarded. At the moment, someone could shoot a course record and not come close to winning a comp. And we also want a bigger handicap guy to have a chance to win captains day or whatever competition. If we split comps into categories, you're losing the part of the game where everyone can play against anyone. And we want entry to the elite comps to be fair, so there should be more protection on people engineering artificially low handicaps. And we definitely want protection against people engineering artificially high handicaps. And we want people to be able to enter their casual scores to keep their handicaps up to date, it also not able to enter them.

I agree with everyone on this thread really to some extent at least.

Pretty much this in a nutshell. Especially your second point. I find I'm much more invested in my score these days as you never know when you'll "need" it. The fact that your index is much more personal to you and your set of 20 scores makes it more interesting I think. For instance I shot one under my handicap at the weekend, not mapped in the prizes, but would have got me a 0.2 cut under CONGU. However due to the mix of my counting scores, it got me a cut of 0.5, so felt much more of an achievement for staying out in the downpour for 4 hours !

Yep, its weird, I agree or partly agree with most of the points made also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Did a quick scan of comp results in my place since the start of the qualifying season. Breakdown as follows

Handicap 0-10 - 4 wins, 7.69%

Handicap 11-18 - 19 wins, 36.54%

Handicap 19-27 - 21 wins, 40.38%

Handicap 28+ - 8 wins, 15.38%

The lowest winning Handicap is 6, the highest is 48.

Average winning score is 42.6 points (stableford)

Early in the year, when things would have been playing a little softer and longer, the average score is 41.4, once we hit June and through the summer months it increases to 43.1, with August up to 43.9

Advertisement