Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Bike 2500 Budget

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I definitely notice the 2kg difference between the defy and the canyon I have now when cycling. The canyon just flies over the road and feels much more responsive. Plus, I have to carry it up three stories when I cycle to work. Now is very different to buying 2nd hand than it was few months back. There are way more options out there as the panic has died down. And there are loads more bikes hardly cycled that people bought during the pandemic that are now not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I went to a bike shop today to go and look at the ORBEA ORCA M40 but it wasn't in this shop available they think another of their shops may have it and they will ring me tomorrow. They showed me two other bikes, a Trek Emonda SL5 disc, which was really nice but a bit pricey at, €3,100 and a Trek Domane DL4 and DL5 disc. I have no idea what to choose. I don't want to get the wrong bike and within a year look to change and upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The Domane is more of an Endurance bike, the Emonda is a race bike. Basically this means that the Domane will be a slightly more comfortable and upright position.

Both are good bikes - if you are going to be riding solo on rough roads or have any flexibility /back issues I'd go for the Domane. If you think you might join a club / race / take on other challenges it might be worth considering the Emonda.

The only downside is that all of them are above 9kg and above 10kg in the case of the Domane SL4. This is on the heavy side for the price but it is also the way the bike industry has gone at the moment so not sure what you can do about it if buying new. E.g. a few years ago you could get a rim brake Canyon Ultimate that was under 7.5kg for under 2k. In time you might want newer wheels etc to knock off 500g but that could be another 500€. Others will tell you to lose 2kg yourself but having a light bike still feels nice on the road.

If the bike shop couldn't explain the above to you on the difference between these bikes, I'd go for another shop however.

The plan is to join a club, i know a few in it and they go out every Saturday and Sunday. I want to do a triathlon and it is something I would like to do provided I can get over my knee injury but that's something for next summer.

Thanks for the input from everyone, for learning so much so quickly, and for the great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

2500 is a big spend if it's a lot of money to you and you are not experienced/informed or what type of cycling you are going to end up doing, what your fit will be like etc.

If I was you I'd buy a 2nd hand bike for 500 or so, ride it until the spring and make an informed purchase decision next summer. Join a club would be a good idea.

Getting wet before a cycle is an awful one 😃

You can be told certain things but it's no substitute for what you learn through experience.

• Advertisement

Some good advice on this thread.

I moved over from running and just bought an entry level aluminium bike for 1k in 2018 and it did me fine for about three years. I got really into it and bought a 'good' bike last year and upgraded with good carbon wheels. The old bike is now on the trainer or goes out in bad weather.

There is no way I would spend over the 2.5k on a bike given your experience and the fact that there seems to be some doubt about how much cycling you will be doing. The Orbea is at the entry level carbon price and would be a nice buy for the price. No offence, but anything more expensive would probably be lost on you. I'd decide if you want comfort (endurance) or speed (race) and that will dictate a lot.

But, I wouldn't rule out the second hand market or getting a solid aluminium frame for much cheaper either. 2.5k is a big spend for someone with your experience. Good luck!

So after some research and a lot of visits to shops, I opted for a Cube Attain SL and paid a Deposit, and under budget. I know some might disagree with my choice. I had to go with an alternative shop local to me that had the bike in stock and in my correct size. A lot of shops I visited and rang had very limited stock in my size with one place telling me I could be waiting up to 3 months with no guarantee.

For anyone thinking about purchasing a bike, my advice is to start the process and ring your local shops to check on stock and availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Nice looking bike. What colour did you go with? Well wear

I went with the Grey/Black option which was my first choice. I saw loads of really nice bright colour bikes but not for me.

I now need to go and find some shoes for the cleats.

Nice bike, and a good choice. I have one and I would say it's ideal for what you are looking for.

Well wear and happy cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Best of luck with it. I had a cube nuroad and it was a solid well built bike. Sick I ever sold it.

Advertisement