Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Melvin Benn has said on several occasions that they set up Latitude in 2006 following a visit to EP in 2005. More of less identically sized festivals then. And yes, Latitude is a lovely festival, much more child-friendly. I'd take my small kids there but not (yet) to EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

Asked my girlfriend how does everyone know this song and she advised it's a big Tik Tok song so that could be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Interesting you reckon Frank look tired because my overriding feeling throughout the set was one of 'this is so tired, old and stale sounding'.

I've never understood why bands don't have a Festival Setlist; play the classics/some hits/and uptempo tunes. Surely that's the way to go if you want to gain a new audience while not alienating your existing one. I've seen bands come out and play their dreariest material at festivals and i just can't figure out the reasoning behind it.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Agreed. Having dragged along two non fans, i felt a bit let down. just very lack lustre.

one of my highlights was the Scratch. The energy them lads put in was tremendous.

So EP doesn't take the bigger acts from EOTR every year?

And EOTR has more on other than the 4/5 music stages?

I'm not slating the festival, I always like their lineups but please don't pretend it's anything other than a small fest that focuses entirely on music. It's also more expensive than EP, and that's before you add in travel costs. You also pay (a significant fee) for any kids above the age of 2 (£40 - £135 depending on age, and that's early bird). Not something I think is justifiable.

• Advertisement

EOTR doesn't have big/commercial names. It's far too small. I'd contend that Pixies, Perfume Genius, Bright Eyes & Khruangbin were amongst their best acts. Certainly 3 out of their 4 headliners (Fleet Foxes the other). A few other good acts there, but not a considerable number for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

Had a very enjoyable weekend.

Arrived earliest I ever have about 11am and the Eco was already much busier than when I usually would have arrived. Still lovely neighbours and best place to camp at EP. Did miss Loowatt. Tent survived the weekends and had good boots and ponchos so stayed mainly dry.

Highlights were, Friday: Little Sims, Fountains DC, Glass Animals. Saturday: Kneecap, the Scratch, Wolf Alice. Sunday: CMAT, JVM Arctic Monkeys.

Saw loads more I enjoyed that's off the top of my head. Enjoyed the comedy tent to relax in bounced alot between there moretti bar Rankins and Electric Arena. All the woods section were great fishtown salty dog and Trenchtown just wander in and catch some great acts. Freetown seems so underused all the lovely food areas from 2019 gone.

Always managed to get about four cans in through the light searches.

Really noticed the 20000 extra in the main arena very busy walking around in the early evenings.

Will probably go back again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Those names you mention are what i consider big/commercial acts in my musical world.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

Favourite set of the weekend - Khruangbin. Missed the first 5 minutes does anyone know what they opened with?

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

yes it reached capacity about 3-4 years ago when it stretched out to 55k. It was too busy back then. It’s just stupid now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Again....EOTR is cheaper.

The music starts on Thursday afternoon. 3 acts on the main stage, 4 in the Tipi. So 4 full nights of music.

Some of the bigger acts are obviously the same as its the same weekend. But as its been mentioned, the great stuff is usually further down the bill.

This year for example (a weak year relatively) in addition to the less interesting Pixies, Perfume Genius, Bright Eyes & Khruangbin were Los Bitchos, Aldous Harding, Umlauts, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Snapped Ankles, Magnetic Fields, Ryley Walker, Margo Cilker, Lucy Dacus, Battles, Wu-Lu, Sniffany and the Nits, Grove, Ross from Friends, Scalping, Yard Act, Lynks, Fat Dog, The Chisel, Nilufer Yana, Kurt Vile, TV Priest, Gwenifer Raymond to name a few...

And Joe & The Shitboys.

There are no drunk English as you put it, no searches, bring your own booze wherever. Getting searched everytime you nip back to the tent for something is abymsal craic after paying 250 quid for a ticket. Not fun.

Not to evangelise too much but the reviews are in.

Anyway point being, will be my 5th EOTR next year. Id rather go to the Picnic but the soul of the festival drifted away years ago. As Eric Cantona said: "Years pass, the tribe evolves. The empire grows, the dynasty expands, but the soul remains intact."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

new thread now up

There are only 360 sleeps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Melvin has said no increase in numbers for '23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

ah cool, missed that, we got "I like music" too, jaysus he's in bits bless him, sat down for the gig, he hopped up for a minute or two for the big ROL songs which got a cheer! he's a great guitarist, didnt know he even played, havent a breeze about what he's done since ROL but will dig a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah he's great on the guitar, I've seen him in a few incarnations in Stradbally, in Trailer Park, has he been part of the Salty Dog All-stars? He was sitting down for the Spike Island gig too, girl singing with him also, she was dropping off during his protracted sound check, the 2 off them scrounging cans off the audience. All very entertaining.

Cheapest EOTR ticket this year was £190/€221, cheapest at EP was €170. EOTR demonstrably not cheaper. You take kids and you're gouged by the promoters (£40 to £135 for early bird tickets if they're over 2 years of age). The travel costs are an addition. To make EP more expensive you'd need a very fine accountant to massage the figures.

They also do plenty of searches at EOTR, an English pal done for possession of hash there. Many could argue that it's for our security to ensure that bottles or weapons don't get into the site and definitely not the main arena.

Anyway, I'm happy that you enjoyed EOTR, it's always looked good. It is however clearly a different beast to EP, for which you're clearly happy

Not sure of the track name but it wasn't Texas Sun nor B-Side. Pretty sure that they don't do either unless Leon Bridges appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭darzog

They opened with a faithful rendition of Maria También

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

@fourmations Sack were brilliant by the way. Bass player only got there by the skin of his teeth, they were nearly half an hour late but they really grew into the set. They have some really great songs. Myself and @Genghis thought you might show your face at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Shouldn't take you long. Think he's released one solo song, unless I've missed something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Sorry folks haven't had a chance to comment yet at the moment I'm flying through the comments and reliving it with ye's.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dany Hitch

Tune/track of the weekend:

Tie for first place: Don't Delete the Kisses by Wolf Alice & Meet Her at the Love Parade by Da Hool. Ah, the goosepimples arose typing that.:-)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea, so it's my turn to add my review of the weekend, overall I had decent fun due to the crew I went with but sadly it will definitely be my last picnic.

No real issue getting down, small bit of a delay leading from the motorway to stradbally but nothing too bad and got into the green campsite as we were in Pink Moon. No ques coming into the search/ticket are but they seemed all over the place, first my que was scanning giving tickets before getting your bag checked while others were after the search. They opened my bag and found my deodorant and threw out my bottle as you were not able to bring in aerosol(was this always the case or this a new thing???? as I always brought deodorant with me). Also the guy doing the searches beside was moved from his post because he was also patting people down(mostly women) and that was not what they were supposed to do. As we were waiting for my friends to finish up getting checked there was a young lad walking around in high vis but clearly had no clue of anything as two people asked which direction to Pink Moon and Hendrix but his reply was "no idea" to both. Luckily we knew which direction to go but again there was no staff around and only 1 lad shouting "pink moon only this way". Pink Moon was a lot bigger this year and we were at the very back end of the patch, the toilets were in decent nick i found(especially the ones near the pamper/shower section but those cubicles were tiny once in them but apart from that decent enough.

Music wise the line up was seriously lacking for me but most of the bands/acts(especially the Irish ones knocked it out of the park) with mentions to Moncrieff, CMAT, The Scratch and Snow Patrol. Caught Neecap didnt really enjoy them but each to their own, also enjoyed Pixies, Little Simz(really liked her and kind of reminded me of Lauren hill), Wolf Alice, London Grammar. Tame Impala were alright but felt where I was the crowd were not that into them so maybe their own headline show would be better. Also caught Anne Marie who not really my music but was a bit of craic.

Some issues I noticed was that a lot of acts finished the same time especially the EA, Main Stage so there was a lot of traffic moving around at the same time, especially at night time was tricky because the site really isnt lit up to well so it would be easy to fall(not because of alcohol). Also the No Entry from the EA was a joke as you just had to walk around the barricade and go in but yet they had 2 or 3 lads trying to stop. Definitely a massive reduction in security and staff which would be worrying if something major did happen. Did anyone feel there was way less toilets around the main area or was that just me?

I wont get getting any tickets on Saturday as all going well I will be living in Canada by next summer. I just felt something was missing this year (excluding the decent line up) and was nearly happy to be going home on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would be great indeed. Let's see if I can find a 19 year old who's willing to stick their neck above the parapet.

Let's just summarise where we are.

The Equal Status Act 2000 has a clear definition of discrimination, which includes;

discrimination shall be taken to occur where—

(a) on any of the grounds specified in subsection (2) (in this Act referred to as “the discriminatory grounds”) which exists at present or previously existed but no longer exists or may exist in the future, or which is imputed to the person concerned, a person is treated less favourably than another person is, has been or would be treated,

and

(f) that they are of different ages (the “age ground”),

Being refused access to an event is absolutely 'treated less favourably' than others.

There are two exceptions in equal status law under the age ground. One relates to premises licenced under the Intoxicating Liqour Act. Festivals are not licenced under that act.

The second exception reads; "Difference in treatment on the age ground in connection with a dramatic performance or, other entertainment is permitted if the difference is reasonably required for reasons of authenticity, aesthetics, tradition or, custom.". The only previous Equal Status case that refers to this clause relates to words spoken by a performer. https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/cases/2016/july/adj-00000515.html

I've linked references to this clause from a Seanad debate on the legislation, from an EU document working on related EU legislation, from an EU Commission country report on non-discrimination in Ireland, and from a Equal Status judgement on a previous case (Portmarnock Golf Club) - all from experts in the field, serious, reputable documents - and all of them confirm this clause relates to the content of a performance or the selection of performers - nothing to do with audience age limits.

You've presented nothing. Nothing showing that age limits for events like this are common or routine. Certainly nothing showing that age limits are legal - nothing from a solicitor or a barrister working in this area, nothing from event organisations explaining how they get around the fundamental basics of anti-discrimination law.

You've got nothing. But feel free to keep digging a bigger hole for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

Lads the age thing is really boring and irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

@Furious-Red

thought it was just me and the extra weight after covid!! The loos there were tiny!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

Me too brutal sleep last night - body in bits today feel like I’ve been run over and I got phone call today from a friend i was with all weekend to say he had covid! 😩 maybe an isolation period incoming!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭RINO87

Jesus Christ will you give it a rest, it's a thread about a festival....

• Advertisement

Over-55s community events, over-21 festivals, etc. All perfectly legal and you display a significant lack of grasp of legalese. You are also seemingly unaware of the spirit of the legislation which will be the most important part of its interpretation in the courts. It is designed to prevent social exclusion for the more aged in our society and you have wildly misunderstood its intent. Go seek some advice from CAB or a pal in the legal field. I have no further time for dealing with self-indulgent nincompoopery. All the best.

Advertisement