Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

My 4 year old is playing Titanfall 2 and Doom Eternal while watching love death and robots on Netflix. But he mixes it up with Sackboy, Astro bot and Octonaughts so it's a balance 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My own path with Assassin's Creed over the last 15 years has gone from deep admiration for the fidelity of the historical periods they were creating (I excitedly played all of them up to Black Flag) to abhorring the inane, busywork-filled, time-wasting open-world formula Ubisoft has honed and applied to almost every single game they release. Just can't do that type of game anymore - I tried Valhalla after getting a copy as a present and fell off before getting out of the tutorial area.

As an aside, Origins is free on Prime Gaming at the moment and I am tempted to boot it up just to try discovery mode to see if that actually offers some of what I most liked about the series in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The stat is the first thing mentioned in the article. Also, I reckon the crowd behind CyberSafeKids would consider preteens playing over 18s games as overexposure to disturbing imagery.

Tbh, I'd be more worried about the addictive components of games and how kids are exploited for profit with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Roblox being the most exploitative of them all, but it's not graphic so doesn't get a second look from the hand wringers.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Finished Immortality. I'm not usually into arty farty stuff but it was strangely addictive. I loved the classic cinema, makes me want to start downloading and watching some classics. It was lucky it actually had pretty good acting, bad acting would have killed it.

Well worth a play. It's a good move to bring it to Netflix gaming. Should attract some cinemaphiles.

Was considering finally getting started on cyber punk 2077 on series x but it's full price €70 😲

I played it a while back and still felt robbed having paid half that for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭passatman86

Anyone help me with a game suggestion for a 4 year old. Similar to lego City undercover where you can freely roam around a big area without having to do missions as such

Have you tried all the other Lego games?

Dare I say it, what about Roblox?

• Advertisement

My kids love cookieswirlc on youtube so were interested in trying Roblox, what her videos don't show is how loaded it is with microtranactions. So take care as to not leave them play it on an account with a payment method tied to it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Lego Star wars sky walker saga is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yooka Kaylee is good. The starting area is small so maybe help them until they get into one of the game worlds. Bright and vibrant which what kids would like and they can just jump or climb around while thinking they are playing it.

Super Lucky's Tale is another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

What platform are you on ?

If Switch, then Super Mario Odyssey, and even though it's not for a 4 year old, you could play Breath of the Wild with him. I know it's 12 cert (back to previous conversation), but there isn't really anything in it unless you child is easily scared. It must be one of the best games to play/watch as you can solve puzzles together and they can just roam around to his hearts content. If you don't end up hooked 😀 It'll last you all years. Great game, great experience, great learning experience, great shared experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Before I waste my time downloading it, is Need for Speed any bit similar to the Underground games from almost 20 years (Christ...) ago?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hot pursuit is probably the best. Not similar to underground owing to the fact it's actually good. Made by criterion when they still made great burnout games and weren't swallowed by EA.

Sorry should have mentioned it's on xbox one I'm looking for suggestions. He currently plays lego City undercover and likes driving around then breaking things to collect the lego pieces. I bought him Harry Potter lego today for the xbox one but he so far finds completing a level difficult - his first time gaming and only 4y/o. I'm sure in time as he gets used to the control he will grasp it better but he really just wants something with a large area free play atm

ok, no worries. I have an Xbox, only thing I can think of is Minecraft ... which sounds like a cliche, but it's popular and long running for good reasons. If you have gamepads there are a lot of things you could try out without purchasing a full game. There is an excellent game pass deal ... check out the xbox forum. Someone mentioned super lucky tails and Minecraft is on there too. You could try a 1 month or even a free 1 euro sub for a month if they are available, they usually are, before doing the long term deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sad to hear about Mike Fahey’s passing.

Kotaku is a shadow of its former self after many staff exoduses / corporate buyouts and I barely visit anymore, but Fahey was always an example of the site at its best: charming, irreverent, knowledgable, enthusiastic and articulate. A rare sort in games journalism, and the tributes in the post above are beautiful obits to the man.

• Advertisement

My 4 year old likes the paw patrol games and Peppa on gamepass. She needs help with them starting out though. Minecraft as suggested, that has a few different modes maybe play it on peaceful as mine didn't get on well with creepers and zombies. There is also a racing game featuring every parents favourite youtuber f'n Ryan, again on the game pass.

Actually theres a new Disney one out on the gamepass today I'm just waiting on to finish installing to see if it's suitable. Dreamlight Valley which seems to feature a tonne of their characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sad to see Mike go. He was very unwell while I was still reading Kotaku and that was a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

No, not a patch unfortunately. Looks good but driving isn't fun and gets boring quick. Mostly super cars which just spent fun in ah nfs game. What I'd give for an Underground 1 & 2 remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, once you start moving out of the street cars and into the super/hyper cars, it's no longer fun. But it's fun up to that point. Kinda. Underground it is not.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Lego Marvel Super Heroes is very good too, good bit of freedom in it to just fly about and do what you want iirc - my young lads loved it at the time. Mad, it's almost 10 years old now.

Thanks, will look it up and see if there is any YouTube game play videos

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

if you want to see your child have oodles of fun, annoying village folk by acting the menace, then look no further than 'untilted goose game'

my two were in peals of laughter playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Another one just popped into my head, its quite simple, you play as a hole in the ground that moves around eating up street furniture, etc etc until you get big enough to swallow buildings. Its called 'donut county'

Down with that sort of thing ... input lag !

Where does Sakurai get his energy from !! He is 52.

What a great resource for game designers too ( his you tube channel )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah the videos have been excellent.

Advertisement