Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

€4k for one days work 😲. Oh, hang on, maybe there are two guys so only 50% each 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Have a gable roof, would be a fairly straight forward install.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

Maybe the "3KW Solar Installation 4,114.38" includes parts+labor.

Otherwise who would pay 8K for a 3.2Kw system

@JTMan can you clarify the total cost of this system

Would this price include the grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Thanks for your comments.

The €7,854 is the pre-grant price. The price post grant is €5,670.

Yes, the figures include parts and labour.

Any thoughts on the quote would be appreciated. I have only got one quote so far as I am really struggling to hear back from providers.

Thank you.

Work out your savings to ultimately decide whether it's worth it

Take self consumption as 50% of generation. Take generation as panels kWp x 0.8

So 3.2kWp x 0.8 is 2.6

(1300 x 0.30c day rate) + (1300 x 0.14c FIT) = €572 savings per year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RoscommonHero

I bought a new house in 2021, will the rules on eligibility for the grant change? i.e. currently you are not eligible unless the house was built and occupied before 2021.

Yes newer houses are more energy efficient but bills are still on the high side. Not sure if basing eligibility for grant on year of construction is the fairest way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

There a post on here or on facebook in the past week where someone had spreadsheet or log guessing installers costs, wholesale prices, labour etc? If Anyone able to point me to it?

😎

It's pretty pointless since you cannot dictate the price you pay. All it does is expose the gouging.

If you want to work it out, installers buy the kit from wholesalers at at least 20% off the retail prices online.

I saw a post today where someone had breakdown of costs, for about a 3kWp system, with installation cost as €4.1k - for probably 2 or 3 lads for a days work !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Labour is a huge chunk for sure but does take time. Initially I thought I was in the wrong gig and needed to run a solar company when I got quotes :) But it has taken our gang much longer than I expected.

Ours took 7.5 person days onsite and they still need to come back to snag for 2nd time. 4 small roofs so slower than a large south roof say.

For sure they could have done it faster. But they are so busy they tripped themselves up with a few small things that later sucked up time.

Before that they need sales people. Then order stock and admin time to line install up. Hire staff, vans on road. Paperwork... And it takes a lot of time for crews to work on a job that changes every day (site, design...). All the stuff to run a small company that has no recurring revenue. They only get paid work for installs.

I expect to get paid a decent amount for my day job. So I can't really expect a lad to climb on my roof and not make a few quid. Or work in the attic in boiling summer heat all day.

It's deffo not something I would have been able to do as DIY. Not to say I could never get the guys to DIY to extend mine in time.

Not defending the companies that are gouging on price. But in my case I didn't see it install wise. I deffo did see it in initial quotes. But this forum helped me find my way thru that BS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Great post DC999.

I've been saying it forever, we WANT the companies to make a profit. It's in our best interest that they make a profit as we want them around in 2-3 years (or 10 years) when we want to expand the arrays or do some other electrical work. The issue I've always had is how company "x" can do it for a price, but company "y" can only do it for a price + 50% (or more).

Fortunately for most people who've passed through here in the last year or two (myself included), they've been spared the worst of it - thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

As my installer always said, we don't make a fortune, we make a living.

There are companies out there making an absolute bloody fortune gouging unsuspecting punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 omara190

Would appreciate any feedback on this proposal (not just the price but also the system):

6kW Sofar Single Phase System

19 Jinko Tiger Neo N-Type 54HL4-B (395-415 watt) panels

Eddi Included

230v socket for offline use

10kW Battery

€16,300 plus VAT

No grant available as new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im currently stuck in my decision of whether to go with more 340 watt smaller footprint panels or less larger footprint 400+ watt panels. If we can fit 1 more of the smaller panels per aspect I get a higher capacity overall but im trying to figure out if theres any downsides im missing to doing it this way?

Were probably only talking about 200-300 watts in the difference if my maths are right, so just not sure what to do

without VAT that would be ok.

Are you sure about 10kw of battery. For most people it is super marginal, but without the grant the system as whole would make zero financial sense to me, massively increasing your breakeven point, by maybe 4-5 extra years...

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

Has anybody got a cutoff switch on their setup to cover a grid outage? What kind of money are you looking at for that?

Option A: 7.6KW Trina panels with hybrid inverter

€8100 post grant.

So I pulled the trigger. Eventually!

Lead time about 3 weeks. I didn’t even ask this until I saw some are now 5/6 months. And one of the more well known firms referenced around these parts is no longer taking orders as they are apparently rammed until April. Solar Mania.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

agreed to a quote and paid a deposit in June, just got confirmation of Install in 4 weeks time.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Hi JaCrispy - can I ask you PM me the ***** supplier so I can req a quote

also want to get higher capacity panels - looking at a 5kw sys, with 5kw battery and like everyone now I'm on a very tight budget

• Registered Users Posts: 40 saccaromyces

Hi all, thanks for all info on this Board. Looking at pulling the trigger on this as best offer for ground mount, as insufficant space on roof as already have panels for hot water. Payback is way longer than anticopathed bit prices are going up all the time, anyway 15.5k for below.

15 PV Panels |Longi PV Panel Longi 370 Wp

370W HiIMo4 All Black Split Cell Mono

Mounting System rosolar Ground Mount System

Inverter Sofar Solar Sofar Solar 6kw 6000 W Single Phase Hybrid Inverter-EP Series

Batteriess yness Dyness 2.4kWh 2.4 B4850 L-lon Battery X2

Immersion Diverter No Immersion None Controller

Smart EV Charger No EV Charqer No EV Charger Fireman Switch Aswich Firemanis Switch4 32A, 600V

pole

DC Isolator Projoy DC Isolator 4 pole 32A, 1000V AC Isolator Projoy AC Isolator 4 pole 35A, 600V

Quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daveq

Me too, I'll let you know when it's done but they expect 12 - 14, 410w panels.

(Quoted for 12 but bringing 2 extra in the van which they'll hopefully fit up there on the day)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No PM requests please. PM requests were banned because the thread had previously descended into just a bunch of "PM me please", "Me too" posts.

Either PM @JaCrispy directly or see this thread for list of installers previously used by Boardsies.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭prosaic

I would go for a larger battery, maybe 10 kWh. We have 8 East + 4 West panels (4.5 kWp) and a 5 kWh battery, only just installed. I think the 5kW battery is too small, as even on a fairly cloud Sept day, it's 3/4 full already. With ground mount, you might have shading in early/late ends of the day. These tend to be high usage times but when you have low panel output. So it's good to store the energy collected in the middle of the day. We have EV car so that can take some of the output too so it gives another (big) battery.

Also regarding shading, you need panel optimisers (unit attached to each panel). Shading on one panel in a string reduces the output on all panels in the string if no optimisers used.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ACCAman

I am going ahead with the below system in Dublin this month. I shopped around over 30 companies and struggled to get this price.

I appreciate all the help people have provided here, so thanks for that.

I'm happy to stop searching as it takes a lot of work!

8 X Qcells 385w panels (3.08Kw)

Huawei Sun 2000 Hybrid Inverter

All Renusol railings & Fittings

Supply and fit

Raci certification and post works BER

No Eddi ( Have a triton pumped shower so not really necessary)

Cost €7450- Grant €2,130=€5,320 final cost

I hope there are no issues for the installer getting the materials.

Am I making a bad decision going ahead with the Huawei Hybrid inverter? I know that I will only be able to connect Huawei or LG batteries in the future. I have checked online and seen the prices for these. Yes, they are expensive now but maybe in a year or 2 when I see how the system is running I might be able to pick one up either new or 2nd hand for < €2k?

Does anyone know if it's easy to install one of these batteries myself? I'm not the handiest at this kind of stuff but if the directions are simple and step by step I could probably manage it. Looking to avoid having to get another electrician in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Batteries could be installed by a non-spark, but I don't recommend it. Your dealing with fairly substantial currents here and understanding more than how to wire a 3 pin plug is required. 100A circuit breaker installed, isolation switches. Yes, it can be done by someone willing to learn but for the sake of a few quid, probably not worth it.

If your competent with electrics though, then yeah, should be doable - but I wouldn't be a have-a-go-hero there :-)

Hey,

Don't 2nd guess yourself at this point (says the world's best 2nd guesser!!). You've done a heap of work to date. Get the install booked in! I've Huawei Hybrid inverter (all they could get at the time and not the one they preferred) - Huawei only do hybrids my installer told me. Yeah, they only connect to Huawei or LG batteries - and they are expensive but seems they have low % losses (in and out of battery as they are a high voltage DC battery, I won't pretend to know what that means but get less losses than other batteries the marketing blurb says). I will get one of them in time. and at least now I'm battery ready.

You can always get a battery separately in the future to a separate battery controller and the Huawei Hybrid inverter stays working as normal. Huawei just won't connect to the battery. That's for another day.

3kwp is on the small side - maybe that's all the roof allows (but we used a flat roof and got another 5 panels on it). Ask them can you make it larger now (which means a larger inverter but not much price difference between models). Then also, as everyone else suggests and also worked for me on install day, see will they look to install more panels on the day (if the roof + design allows). Will be cheapest time to get more.

Best 5k you'll ever spend! Now book it in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ACCAman

Thanks both for the feedback. Should have mentioned, that I actually paid the deposit for this a couple of months ago and the install is going ahead this month. I was just wondering if I should make any last minute changes to the materials. The Huawei inverter seems fine so I might just go ahead with that.

Would love to get a few more panels up, but the roof space is limited. I may want to add a few more panels to the system in a few years if we get more roof space but 8 is probably the max at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I would ask them to install the breaker/isolation switch for the batteries too. It'll add bugger all to your price but also mean that adding batteries in future should be plug and play.

My installer had fitted Pylontech which I later sold, but having the connections in place made hooking up my DIY batteries even easier.

We've a tiny gaff and got 16 panels up. Covered 3 main roofs and flat roof on kitchen. So you might find they can squeeze more on the day! Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Got a quote yesterday for the following:

2.4 kW Hyundai panels

EDDI

HUAWEI Invertor

€7,100 after grant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Afaik the Huawei hybrids are only compatible with the Huawei batteries.. (ah I see dc99 has said Huawei and LG, and they are HV so no Ali express DIY either)

Dropping to a standard inverter, especially on that small a system could save you 500-800 euro.

Worst comes to worst, you upgrade to a hybrid down the line and sell the standard one on second hand (there's a good market for second hand gear)

It's worth a call anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement