Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,356 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They may not have rights to her husband.

I know they don't have Silmarillion rights but I don't know what's in the appendix they do have rights to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,706 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The people banging on about woke are just as fukcin dense as those banging on about incels.

It does explain why both groups aren't fussed about canon or actual story as neither have been able to read it.

Well you have too choices either don't use it now that it is untrustworthy or get on to the UN about this serious assault on democracy.

I wasnt talking about the war in Ukraine by the way I was talking about censorship during the Soviet era famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭liamtech

i have read it, and the Hobbit - just to be clear on that

As for someone mentioning the rights issue on Celeborne - he is specifically in the material they have the rights to - they have removed him deliberately - he has not been mentioned at all, nor has he been cast in a role

I believe this is rather deliberate, and is another blatant change of Galadriel's character - and i have already stated that i believe this reflects a wish to 'empower' Galadriel, and 'give her agency' -

Happy to be called dense though, as you are engaging in conversation- but i am expressing my opinion on this show - welcome to disagree of course

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ah now, book Galadriel would have killed that troll with her mind in a second. That’s no joke.

Legolas was a Sindar elf, his martial prowess was nothing compared to your average Eldar. Never mind the 2nd most powerful Eldar ever.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Would love to see a gif/meme of facial expression when she says 'conflicted' in this scene (sorry about source of clip).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I did not share the video for the guys opinion, just that it showed the review hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

Christ, it's pretty bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I fail to see how a youtuber who actually makes a lot of sense and calmly and logically goes through why this show is so inferior to the Peter Jackson trilogy is an "incel".

It seems the only comeback defenders of the show have, critics of it are "far right" or "sexist" or some other -ist or -phobe.

It's tiresome.

Why don't these defenders come up with their own review video and tell us all why it's so good ?

Maybe because they can't because it's not good.

The ratings show this, people on here saying you can't judge a show or film by ratings - ehmm yes you CAN ABSOLUTELY !!

The fact that amazon are fiddling the ratings on ImdB (owners of that no doubt...) show that they are scared, metacritic is probably more accurate - sitting at around 1.8/10 right now.

It's no coincidence that Fellowship and Towers has 8.8/10 and ROTK has 9/10.

And ROP has 6.8 - but in reality this would be a lot lower.

And back to the show, I watched the 2nd episode hoping for some improvement but the dialogue was even worse, the scene between the Hobbit kids and "Gandalf" was embarrassing to say

the least, just think of interactions in the Peter Jackson films and compare with this ?who writes this tripe?

Well failed writers from other awful shows like Star Trek Picard it would seem.

The Galadriel stuff on the boat with Sauron was terrible - looks like they will go down the road of Sauron becoming evil as he will be a spurned lover of Galadriel - God that will be terrible.

Some good things were inside Kazad Dhum - I liked the look of it, and the Disa was actually probably one of the best characters so far !! The IRONY!

Irish Times had a great article on this

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio/2022/08/31/rings-of-power-the-new-hobbits-are-filthy-hungry-simpletons-with-stage-irish-accents-thats-1bn-well-spent/

The irony, they are trying to be so woke yet get it so wrong here ...

The accents embark on a wild journey from Donegal to Kerry and then stop off in inner-city Dublin. The Harfoots themselves are twee and guileless and say things like: “Put yer backs into it, lads.” One is portrayed by Lenny Henry, a great comedian and actor who deserves better than having to deliver lines such as “De both of ye, dis does not bode will” (in an appalling Irish accent). Scouring the internet, there is no evidence of any Irish actors having been involved.

Spot on.

This is often said - things like "Star Trek was always woke" - referring to it being ahead of it's time, Uhura and Kirk kiss etc

It wasn't woke , it was truly progressive and classically liberal - but they are conflating this with being woke.

And that's where the misunderstanding comes from - why they think we are anti women, anti minority , anti gay etc...

Imagine if all Ian McKellen could talk about in promotional interviews 21 years ago was that he is gay.

Nothing about the fantastic epic project to bring Tolkien to the big screen, nothing about shooting in New Zealand and working with WETA - no, just about him being gay - because thats pretty much what the actor that plays Disa is doing.

It's embarrassing, did you see the interview where she goes on about playing a "Dwarf of colour", about the oppression of her people, when her people sing you can hear the years of oppression from their ancestors in their voice - really ? my mother in law grew up DIRT POOR ... so if my son sings will I hear some of that poverty and repression in his voice ??

Ironically in the show itself so far she is actually a pretty decent character!  There was a great moment just before Star Trek the next generation came out when some journalist said "As if in the 24th century they won't have a cure for baldness" to which Gene Roddenberry remarked "in the 24th century no one will care!"

Brilliant! That is true progresson , if ST TNG was made today they'd keep going on about him being bald and still a captain, and Patrick Stewart would be saying in interviews how great it is that a bald man can get this job!!!

When we see these questions of "how many women/gay/black/asian/trans/disabled/etc people do we have on this show" as nonsensical as we see "How many brown eyed people here?" or "how many blonde/redheads/brunnettes are here ? ..." - thats when we will truly be progressive.

So people get mad when they sacrifice good story writing to tick these stupid boxes.

If these people were so sexist and hate women why didn't they complain about Galadriel or Eowyn (who least we forget killed the witch king of Angmar...) in the PJ films ?

Maybe because they were hired for being great actors and nailed their parts, and brought the Tolkien world to life.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

You don't need an explanation why you shared it I was just commenting on the content of it but fair enough.

Also Liamtech guy seems to think Imdb being owned by Amazon is a new thing it may well be over 30 years old but it's owned by Amazon for at least 20 of them ffs.

To reiterate I haven't seen the show but these fanfare things are honestly the worst for true assessment.

I don't know why some people are so up in arms like there's something ontoward going on while at the same time dropping a dishonest review like the guy in vid pure n utter hypocrisy.

The worst was in the 3rd Hobbit film, him running up falling blocks like they were steps ... just no ... the worst ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Alright.. just getting round to this.

1: Decent start. Seems to be big-picture from the get-go. Not just like fellowship with a big moment and then into the adventure but more of a wider eye on events. Characters, races and places well introduced. Thought the ending was clever with the

dude lying on the ground and the fire around him looking like an eye.. oh I wonder who this could be 😁

This Valinor place felt done a bit wierd. Seemed like the elves were almost going to change to energy beings while there.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I enjoyed the first episode, but I didn't find the second episode that good. Wasn't aware who the man from space was, thanks to whoever pointed it out. I had a feeling who it might have been but now I know.

I'll continue to watch it and not think too much about how much it is deviating away from the source material.

I loved the LOTR's, both movies and the book. I loved The Hobbit book but the movies where absolutely terrible. First time I ever fell asleep in a cinema was watching the 2nd installment of The Hobbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

its fiction. while intitially i rolled my eyes at it, it doesn't matter. watching Disa i didn't see anything other than a female dwarf (the actress going on about it though is just as annoying as those going on about the woke element)

we live in society which is now mostly blended. it should be represented on screen.

if it was a historical piece then its probably more problematic. like say a period drama. but even still its fiction.

a black Bond will be the same. at the end of the day, in a World of make believe color doesn't matter. there is no true authenticity/historicity to Tolkein. its fantasy and "absurd", just like movie making and indeed some of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm not sure they are even hiding how bad the show is. They're just hiding the reviews by incels upset at a woman as the lead.

No one knows who space man is yet that's just people speculating. Same as with boat guy and Eminem guy (not seen yet)

Personally I reckon he is a wizard (I'm sure we will see one). But it would be a bit stupid for God to send him down in that state (but possible) so I think he was imprisoned by Sauron hence the flashbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have a theory on the Spaceman - he's an ex Balrog. Hence all the fire when he lands. Released from being a Balrog and back to a normal Maia now Morgoth is away.

That would be an interesting storyline eh?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I agree with you entirely - but there are those online in various places (including this thread) who genuinely wish to shut down debate, with ad hominem attacks on both reviewers, and fans. This is not the first time this has happened. Doctor who and its INSANE retcon (which murdered 60 odd years of Canon) was greeted with scorn by fans. Yet within days if not hours, articles started to appear attacking the fan reaction. And all of the usual accusations were thrown at fandom in general. One of the real low points was that fans, who had totally embraced the 13th doctor being female, were accused of being misogynists - think about that for a moment. They Loved Jodie Whitaker - loved her female incarnation of the doctor. YET - the moment they attack the shows lousy writing - boom -these fans are toxic, entitled, incel, racist, xenophobics, AND they were also MISOGYNISTS all along -

Have a look at the intro to this video - (watch it all if you care to, but the intro is the main sucker punch - )

Critical Drinker covered it but his intro is a perfect analogy for what exactly happened to the show - and sadly we are about watch this exact same phenomena play out again with LOTR

Of course some will claim that Drinker himself is toxic, entitled, incel, racist, xenophobic etc etc etc - and nothing you, (or I) can say, will change their minds -

Do you think the 10 star ones all are?

Day one, there was pages of one liners or one worders there.

Even now the 10 star reviews talk about how its a billion dollars well spent, how its better than house of dragon and how it brings people back to the PJ trilogy. One mentioned how the characters stories are perfectly woven together, which is simply not the case currently on the show as none of them have interacted with each other.

"Every character is distinct and vibrant in their own way, the special effects a dazzling blend of practical and cgi, and every shot a painting. The amount of detail apparent in this is nothing short of phenomenal. With about 4 different storyline running concurrently, each feels different enough yet woven so seamlessly together there are no problems in following it."

Many of the "fake" ones star reviewers seem to be taking to other sites to say how their review was censored:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.imdb.com

you didn't really answer the question I asked.

Its a bad question though.

Both are wide open to all the same things:

• "Toxic" fans for and against
    • Review bombs for and against
    • Fake reviews
    • Bot reviews

The difference here is that the review host has decided for the reviewers that their opinion does not matter and that this show is in no way below 6 stars.

That's wrong, there is no defending of deleting reviews good or bad. Maybe a pause was justified but no way is deleting reviews justified(Outside of the obvious).

As another poster said, its not about protecting anything other than profits. This was/is a massive investment for Prime Video, one that probably cant fail for them.

even if one accepted that some 1STAR reviews were fake - there were plenty of 2 - 5 star reviews, where the viewer had clearly watched the show, disliked it - and offered their opinion on IMDB

Not to mention the fact that every single work on IMDB is open to the same possibility of fake reviews - the site is fair, when every single work of film or TV can be reviewed - and the score of each can be honestly compared and contrasted with everything else

What Amazon has done, is KILL IMDB - for the sake of ONE SHOW, which they insist - YOU MUST LIKE

~(and if you dont like it - its not that the show is garbage - its that you are toxic, entitled, misogynistic, racist etc etc etc yada yada)

The whole thing is a disgrace

when I posted that I wasn't aware they had removed all 6 star or lower reviews. I thought they had just removed the 1 star reviews. But I cant believe any of the 1 star reviews are genuine. Nothing is that bad.

So would you say that the 10/10 are also not believable as nothing can be that good? I believe both ends of the table are wide open to "reviews" with no basis in reality for sure by the way.

not that nothing can be that good but LotR certainly isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mega-corp Amazon deleting reviews on one platform they own for the commercial benefit of the other platform they own is a good example of why corporate consolidation is a really bad thing.

The organised review bombing of Rings of Power is a good example of why user reviews on Metacritic, IMDB etc... are a completely untrustworthy and ignorable metric that do not even remotely reflect general audience sentiment.

Both things are, alas, true simultaneously.

Advertisement