Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmeath school gets temporary injunction banning a suspended teacher from it's premises

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Going by the law of averages, one of those 100 babies will be intersex.

Going by the law of averages, one of the babies born yesterday or today will grow up and want to transition.

Going by the law of averages, one or more of today's babies, maybe more than ten of them, will grow up to be gay or lesbian or bisexual. Until 2015, that meant they couldn't get married to the partner of their choice! Until 1993, they couldn't legally have sex with partner of their choice! Imagine that! Was it right, equitable, fair, just? No! And so we learned, grew as a society, and changed those laws. Did the sky fall in? No.

It'll be the same with transgender issues. The Gender Recognition Act was passed in 2015. The sky hasn't fallen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

I hope poor Enoch doesn't get misgendered where he is now! I'm sure he'll purge his contempt pretty quickly after his first week of showering with the fellas.

Going by the law of averages, one of those 100 babies will be intersex.

A lot of controversy around that number. 0.02 - 0.05% is more widely accepted in the medical community, so more like 1 in 5000 to 1 in 2000.

On the whole, the sky hasn't fallen in, with the exception of trans females competing in women's sports and accessing traditionally female only intimate spaces such as sports showers, or female prisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Quitelife

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

The story made the NY Post. Looks like it is going to blow up internationally. Mr. Burke may make a career out of this. I expect he will be on Fox News when he gets out.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/06/teacher-enoch-burke-jailed-over-trans-pronouns-flap/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Stop being disingenuous. The issue of sexual identity is complex, and transgender people - even if you have a myriad of issues with them - deserve to be treated with respect like everyone else.

You don't need to fully understand. Or know what it feels like. All you are being asked to do is be respectful to those who tell you that is how they feel.

I don't understand why people have so much difficulty with doing that.

I see it as a minor concession. Like calling James "Jamie" if they ask me too. Or Anthony "Tony" or "Toni" for that matter.

I use gender neutral pronouns in all official correspondence at work all the time, and have done so for years. I use them when writing posts on Boards, most of the time.

It makes no difference to my life, so why should I make someone else's harder for them? ESPECIALLY if its something I don't fully understand.

It takes a lot for a person to make that step and come out and say they are transgender, or that they're non-binary.

And may Enoch Burke roast in a fiery pit of hell for the upset he has probably inflicted on that student and their family with his dramatics and his stirring up of this media circus. I hope he is never allowed near a classroom again.

We get by every day by observing small social niceties for the benefit of all.

This specific incidence is of a teacher who couldn't live with a considered instruction from his principal after all factors had been weighed up and the school's policies had been considered.

As others have said, at that stage it's an employment issue and none of what you are trying to bring into it is relevant- life is balance between the opinions of those you have to get along with, and it's not a comment (as I'm already tired of saying) on how I feel about a lot of the discussion around the trans topic to note that this case is open and shut given the policies in place in the school.

how he decided to go about his problem with that decision is where everything stems from- not the decision, and not the situation before the decision.

anyone who insists on handwaving away the above seems to have an agenda to work in regardless of how ill it fits this case, or they seem to possibly have trouble with the concept of one very strong opinion not counterbalancing the policies of an organisation or the countermanding opposite/contrary opinions.

Oh the Bible Belt will LOVE that. There’s a world tour of crack pot associations conferences awaiting him when he gets out - Megan and him will be neck and neck on the podcast top 10😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

But that’s not what’s happening. It’s be Gueze saying my name is Gueze and I was a man, but call me Mary because I’m a woman now.

• Advertisement

"Attack helicopter"

It's somewhat amazing how often that exact, particular phrase is used by those who then go on to attack transgender people, verbally or in print/social media. It's almost like there's a training course.

I think it’s about time COL came out with a positive statement supporting the child’s transition and request for a change in name and gender recognition- it would take a good bit of wind out of this guys sails- Christian my arse

We get by every day by observing small social niceties for the benefit of all.

This!

I wear a mask when going into a particular office in work, because I know the person in there wants visitors to do so, and I also happen to know why, even though the mask protocol in my job has been lifted. It costs me nothing to do it.

I used to roster a Muslim colleague so they had free time around noon for their prayers, whenever possible (it wasn't always). It cost me and the rest of the team nothing to do it, or to let them use a spare room for their prayers, even though I'm an atheist.

Ms Mary Smith leaves the office on a Wednesday, comes back Monday 3 weeks later as Mrs Mary Murphy, HR and ICT change her name on the various systems to her married name. It costs us nothing to do it (even though I might wonder why in this day and age, someone is taking their partner's name, I keep my mouth shut about it).

We make these sorts of accommodations all the time, for all sorts of reasons. It's how society functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Oh so now you want a big explanation from people?

Why????

So someone who is called Patricia needs to explain why they want to be known as Trish???? Surely you don't?!

Is it really any of my business why exactly John wants to be called Mary, or Patricia to be Trish or Anthony to be known as Tony or Toni???? Just mind your own business and just say, no worries pal, X it is from now on.

How difficult is that??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

You're right! In this day and age, I think it is absolutely crazy women who get married and take their husband's names. But do I say anything to them??? Darnit I don't. I just call them Mrs Mary Murphy or whatever they say they want to be called and get on with my life

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Or he may just, y'know, stay in a little longer if he likes it...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,721 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There certainly does seem to be a lack of original thought that's for sure.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Will his imprisonment for contempt of court mean it could affect any visa approval to visit his fundie friends in the US?

I'm not sure, as I don't think he was convicted of a crime, or was he? Anyone know.

Nope, breach of a court order or injunction is a civil contempt of court, rather than criminal contempt of court (which would be interfering with a trial or witnesses, for example).

I heard it from the son of a friend of mine.

• Advertisement

I will call anyone what they want to be called. I'm not bothered at all. I just made the point that I don't understand gender fluid. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Perhaps we have now discovered the true reason for getting himself locked up. He wants to be close to every night of Garth Brooks but couldn’t get tickets for all the nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Because in the views of many, gender is about what’s between your ears, not between your legs.

How many people actually feel like that though? It seems every second person under 25 these days. It's eye opening TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Joking about some getting raped is an interesting reaction. Should it be wished on anyone, even if you dont like their family, or disagree with their views on sex and gender, religion?

Prison should always be a last resort for non-violent offenders. But looking beyond the headlines, it seems like there was little choice here? He insisted on showing up in the school after he had been suspended. What else could be done?

Have a gander at soups post history before you bother reply to anything they put up on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's not the schools place to encourage a child to change their name and go for gender recognition. The school should be more interested in the education of the student.

Transitioning is a matter for the student and his/her/their parents, not the school. By all means the school should be considerate to the students needs, but I wouldn't expect them to go as far as you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Including information about the interrupted school ceremony and the harassment of the principal would have put a different spin on that story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,286 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

He may not be out anytime soon, imprisonment for contempt can go on for a while. I had a look at past instances and, as an example, the 5 farmers that objected to pipelines to the Corrib gasfield traversing their land back in 2005 were in jail for 94 days for contempt of a court order

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement