Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Dronehawk update: https://youtu.be/wt2ocI6C6v0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Interesting one: the opening of the North side of the new LI West interchange seems to be a good bit away from being ready unfortunately.

Also, I'm curious as to what they'll do with the greenway crossing of the DC ramp visible at approx. 3:16. They seem to be running the "greenway" kerbing down the DC ramp a bit. Perhaps providing a dedicated raised crossing where the kerbing currently ends, and allowing room for a motorist "wait" pocket: very good design if so. We'll know before long, by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

From a previous video that roundabout looked a long way away, but they seem to have done good work on it, looked like some form of base layer was on a part of it. Can see the shape of the roundabout too, so hopefully may not be too long for the whole thing to open

Beams presently being place for the N25 West to M8 North movement. Visible on the Dunkettle webcam pointing north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Sorted

All beams for the sections crossing the N8 to Glounthaune slip and the railway now placed.

Beams for Link A crossing to be placed at a later date.

Tunnel exit surfacing and tie in works to take place during September which will require tunnel closures. We’re likely looking at the tunnel exit ‘ entrance moving to its new alignment before Christmas.

There’s a huge gantry or something of the sort just north east of then tunnel exit with 2 cranes which look like they will lift it tonight. Anyone know what it is exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I saw that yeah, it does look like a new gantry. They haven't said anything about closures, so it must be on one of the offline sections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Well I just checked the cameras and the Southern tunnel bore approach is closed off and there is machinery working there now. Indeed there was no announcement of a closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

There was though. It was in Friday’s newsletter:

”There are a number of night time Jack Lynch Tunnel closures required in order to progress the tie in works at the interface with the N40 southbound. The Jack Lynch Tunnel will be closed in a southbound direction on Tuesday 6th September 2022. The Jack Lynch Tunnel will be closed in both directions on Wednesday 7th & Thursday 8th September 2022 also. The closures will be in place from 21:00 each night until 04:00 the following morning. There will also be further tunnel closures at night from Monday 12th until Friday 16th September 2022 to allow pavement works to be undertaken – see photograph below.”

Looks like they're ripping down the current gantry going south through the tunnel.

That is fair enough, I did not notice any advance warnings on the gantries on the N40 today or over the last weekend. Not every motorist is subscribed to the newsletter.

To follow up on tunnel closure notifications, driving West Bound on the N25 earlier, the electronic gantries were displaying tonight's planned closure and also there was App notification also.

A big improvement

Very interested to see the nature of the surfacing / tie in works. We’re a bit away yet for both carriageways to go under the new bridge built just outside the tunnel entrance.

I reckon they're gonna knock the wall going south into the tunnel. Then start just tarring up to the edge of the current carriageway. Once that part of the alignment is built they can divert all traffic under the N25(W) to M8(N) bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

They seem to be knocking the wall right now. You can watch live if you have nothing better to do at 12:07am (or 1:07am where I am!): https://www.dunkettletraffic.ie/live/?id=20

Gantry at exit of tunnel being installed tonight meaning tunnel will be closed in both directions tonight.

Separately final columns are being poured for the N25 west to M8 north slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Now that this is city land, I wonder if the gantry will say Cork (South) and Westbound, or continue just saying westbound. Has anyone seen the final signage on the N8 slip?

• Advertisement

Cameras down at Dunkettle which is a real pity.

New gantry up over the tunnel entrance. I hope the signs will be a good design as there'll be precious little time to read them.

Prediction: Next slip to open will be the Tunnel to N8 City slip. They are waiting to realign the tunnel exit in order to build this slip road.

I’m wrong. I’ve read on Facebook that the following will open before the end of October:

1. N8 east to Glounthaune link
    2. Glounthaune to Little Island, via the new dumbbell junction.

I had thought these would be soon, but didn't realise they'd be this soon.

I think these may already alleviate traffic in the area a little bit. It's definitely not just "enablers" for later project stages/phases.

Good. That will help. Getting the dumbell open allows the Ibis Slip road and the silly junction on the N25W to tunnel movement to be closed. M8S to N25E and possibly even an N25W to N40W open quite quickly.

Ibis slip will have to remain open as the slip roads between the N25 and the dumbbell won’t be open.

I was just going to say this. Is the back road from Little Island towards the Tunnel interchange closed or open? Could Ibis slip traffic be redirected to there?

That’s still open. Not sure for how much longer though as a plethora of sliproads will have to cross it.

• Advertisement

OK so maybe this road will disappear now, sending all intending traffic to the Ibis slip.

Upon the opening of a new Little Island to interchange slip road, the Ibis closes, and all of the traffic goes the other way.

Just guessing.

Advertisement