Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Shouldn't take you long. Think he's released one solo song, unless I've missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Sorry folks haven't had a chance to comment yet at the moment I'm flying through the comments and reliving it with ye's.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Dany Hitch

Tune/track of the weekend:

Tie for first place: Don't Delete the Kisses by Wolf Alice & Meet Her at the Love Parade by Da Hool. Ah, the goosepimples arose typing that.:-)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea, so it's my turn to add my review of the weekend, overall I had decent fun due to the crew I went with but sadly it will definitely be my last picnic.

No real issue getting down, small bit of a delay leading from the motorway to stradbally but nothing too bad and got into the green campsite as we were in Pink Moon. No ques coming into the search/ticket are but they seemed all over the place, first my que was scanning giving tickets before getting your bag checked while others were after the search. They opened my bag and found my deodorant and threw out my bottle as you were not able to bring in aerosol(was this always the case or this a new thing???? as I always brought deodorant with me). Also the guy doing the searches beside was moved from his post because he was also patting people down(mostly women) and that was not what they were supposed to do. As we were waiting for my friends to finish up getting checked there was a young lad walking around in high vis but clearly had no clue of anything as two people asked which direction to Pink Moon and Hendrix but his reply was "no idea" to both. Luckily we knew which direction to go but again there was no staff around and only 1 lad shouting "pink moon only this way". Pink Moon was a lot bigger this year and we were at the very back end of the patch, the toilets were in decent nick i found(especially the ones near the pamper/shower section but those cubicles were tiny once in them but apart from that decent enough.

Music wise the line up was seriously lacking for me but most of the bands/acts(especially the Irish ones knocked it out of the park) with mentions to Moncrieff, CMAT, The Scratch and Snow Patrol. Caught Neecap didnt really enjoy them but each to their own, also enjoyed Pixies, Little Simz(really liked her and kind of reminded me of Lauren hill), Wolf Alice, London Grammar. Tame Impala were alright but felt where I was the crowd were not that into them so maybe their own headline show would be better. Also caught Anne Marie who not really my music but was a bit of craic.

Some issues I noticed was that a lot of acts finished the same time especially the EA, Main Stage so there was a lot of traffic moving around at the same time, especially at night time was tricky because the site really isnt lit up to well so it would be easy to fall(not because of alcohol). Also the No Entry from the EA was a joke as you just had to walk around the barricade and go in but yet they had 2 or 3 lads trying to stop. Definitely a massive reduction in security and staff which would be worrying if something major did happen. Did anyone feel there was way less toilets around the main area or was that just me?

I wont get getting any tickets on Saturday as all going well I will be living in Canada by next summer. I just felt something was missing this year (excluding the decent line up) and was nearly happy to be going home on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would be great indeed. Let's see if I can find a 19 year old who's willing to stick their neck above the parapet.

Let's just summarise where we are.

The Equal Status Act 2000 has a clear definition of discrimination, which includes;

discrimination shall be taken to occur where—

(a) on any of the grounds specified in subsection (2) (in this Act referred to as “the discriminatory grounds”) which exists at present or previously existed but no longer exists or may exist in the future, or which is imputed to the person concerned, a person is treated less favourably than another person is, has been or would be treated,

and

(f) that they are of different ages (the “age ground”),

Being refused access to an event is absolutely 'treated less favourably' than others.

There are two exceptions in equal status law under the age ground. One relates to premises licenced under the Intoxicating Liqour Act. Festivals are not licenced under that act.

The second exception reads; "Difference in treatment on the age ground in connection with a dramatic performance or, other entertainment is permitted if the difference is reasonably required for reasons of authenticity, aesthetics, tradition or, custom.". The only previous Equal Status case that refers to this clause relates to words spoken by a performer. https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/cases/2016/july/adj-00000515.html

I've linked references to this clause from a Seanad debate on the legislation, from an EU document working on related EU legislation, from an EU Commission country report on non-discrimination in Ireland, and from a Equal Status judgement on a previous case (Portmarnock Golf Club) - all from experts in the field, serious, reputable documents - and all of them confirm this clause relates to the content of a performance or the selection of performers - nothing to do with audience age limits.

You've presented nothing. Nothing showing that age limits for events like this are common or routine. Certainly nothing showing that age limits are legal - nothing from a solicitor or a barrister working in this area, nothing from event organisations explaining how they get around the fundamental basics of anti-discrimination law.

You've got nothing. But feel free to keep digging a bigger hole for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Lads the age thing is really boring and irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

@Furious-Red

thought it was just me and the extra weight after covid!! The loos there were tiny!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

Me too brutal sleep last night - body in bits today feel like I’ve been run over and I got phone call today from a friend i was with all weekend to say he had covid! 😩 maybe an isolation period incoming!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭RINO87

Jesus Christ will you give it a rest, it's a thread about a festival....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Over-55s community events, over-21 festivals, etc. All perfectly legal and you display a significant lack of grasp of legalese. You are also seemingly unaware of the spirit of the legislation which will be the most important part of its interpretation in the courts. It is designed to prevent social exclusion for the more aged in our society and you have wildly misunderstood its intent. Go seek some advice from CAB or a pal in the legal field. I have no further time for dealing with self-indulgent nincompoopery. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Nincompoopery…what a great word

back to the reviews please! Looking forward to yours bodhrandude!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You're talking through your hoop...and no one really gives a fúck. ATN has no one between the ages of 12 and 21. That's not discrimination. If it was, it wouldn't be happening in this litigious era.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭thebronze14

My first EP. Had an absolute whale of a time. So many random areas and things to do. Loads we missed out on too. The lineup not being great was good in a way as I felt I didn't miss anything major.

Highlights musically included in Arctic monkeys, tame impala and pixies. Enjoyed the nostalgia of the Kooks but there was a weird 15 minutes were at least 4 people around us needed medical attention, either for being too drunk or fainting!

The Friday night was probably the best for the late night stuff. When it was pissing out we jumped into a place called the ministry of disinformation. There was a overweight man with only tracksuit bottoms and a postal bag over his head chatting blasting out punk/ rap. His sidekick had a hurling helmet and boxers on. We thought what the **** at first but then got very into it and were moshing away and had a great time! Couldn't find them on any listings but to our delight we walked past trailor park on Sunday and they were on again! Found out later he was called post punk podge. That night we also caught a covers band who were taking random requests. One song he was doing Christy Moore, the next was system of a down! Went to the mother djs that night which were good! The Sunday night after AM we were wet and tired so had a chai tea in a cool place near body and mind area and went to bed.

A joy of mine was seeing how many cans i could smuggle in! The searched were non existent Great weekend all round, saw no trouble either. Circumstances mean it will probably be my only year to go but all in all I had a great time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

that was Post Punk Podge, he was on the trailer park stage absolutely belting it out. There was a lass (I think) in full fetish gear watching them with the occasional passer by copping what she was wearing and either fleeing in terror or corpsing laughing.

What ever about wearing that sort of thing in groups of like minded, thought it was a bit too far with kiddies about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I was stood just to the left and behind her, seemed like a lovely girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ha! Violvetine! I caught the last 3 or 4 of their songs. Such a delicate little act, What would you call them, Franco Celtic folk? At least 2 of their songs could have been theme tunes to Miss Marple but I really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

@Furious-Red how did you manage to get into green so I can for next year, 40 mn walk to PM was not fun 😂

Post edited by sassyj on

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Normal life is slowly resuming, and I’ve had a bit of time to look back at the weekend today. I started writing and have now decided you do not need to know every last detail, so I give you the condensed version.

We arrived on Thursday and that was a nice and chilled way to start the weekend.  No major issues getting down, in, tent up and a can in my hand at 7:30. It was good to be back….

It was go go go all weekend. Oddly, I feel I didn’t really sit around and chill as much as previous years, but I also don’t think I experienced as much as previous years. (Maybe it is just my memory going, and I will remember a load of things in a few weeks.)

It was great to finally put some faces and voices to some usernames here. I’m sorry I didn’t meet /say Hi to more, as our paths surely must have crossed more than once.

I think I said it before when we talked about line-ups and changes to the site that I would happily accept one ‘bad’ year after the previous 10 great years and the sh1t-show of the last 2-3 years and all that has gone on.  

All that said, but there were some things that will certainly have to be addressed to entice me back next year. I don’t want to turn this into a moany post, so 3 things would be….

If 20,000 people are arriving on Thursday night, have the site built and have enough entertainment on. Having to detour around an incomplete Freetown to the few stages that were open was a real pain. And if more of the people left their tents, those few stages would have been overrun.

The Mind and Body area needs to find its soul again. It had loads of promise welcoming Mindfield to its new home, but instead both areas somehow felt like a massive let down. The old arty quirkiness of Body and Soul was really missed. There were some nice touches around in the woods, but overall, it felt a lot less than previous years.

Putting 70,000 people in some fields needs a lot of planning and a lot of services. Some of them seemed a bit lacking this year. (Lighting in some places, Toilets, Signage, someone to direct the carparks on Monday morning, etc….)

To end on a happier note… There were so many good things about the weekend. The ECO campsite is the reason I am still going to EP. This was the 7th year I have stayed there and would not go anywhere else. The Salty Dog’s new layout is wonderful. Jerry Fish’s new home has given him the peace and quiet and space he needed and will continue to fill it with suitable madness. The addition of Mother, The Hustle and all the connecting pathways to Mindfield/Mind and Body has brought new life to that part of the site and paved the way for future improvements.

Hopefully see you all (and more) next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Feck it.... Back to work tomorrow.

Finishing the weekend off in the style I have become accustomed to.

A can of Bulmers and a big bag of cheese puffs. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Stillill42

God I'd give anything for a little isolation period now! Real life is tough, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Nightdrive

Great point on the connecting pathways, I was delighted to be able to quickly nip from Mother into Mind & Body one night.

It must be coming close to time to move Trenchtown. Such a big area that nobody goes to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yeah, really glad to have caught them (and to have met there a legend of the boards @Stillill42 ).

I had been running 20 mins late being charmed unexpectedly by Camille O'Sullivan in Fishtown, FOMO growing by the song I got there and was delighted they were only finishing soundchecks (in actual effect they were still tweaking the sound right through, but to me they sounded good at all times).

Looking at their social media I'd expect they will be around for a while on their second Life: touring til end of year, new single released (sounded great on Sunday), new LP on way and reissues too.

Definitely Maybe next time @fourmations

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Let's start with the review.

I had a great weekend. I'd say it was my second most enjoyable festival of the year, narrowly beaten to first by Body & Soul in what was their best year in the seven times I've attended. Assuming the 3+ picnic loyalty discount price is right I'll definitely be buying a ticket for 2023. I don’t know where else I’d see 60 acts and still feel like I was missing out on things.

I've already covered most of what I'd say about Thursday, so I'll start with my first pleasant surprise of the weekend. Early on the Friday, I went through Trailer Park on my way from Roo Elizabeth to Blessed. As there was nothing on the schedule, I was surprised to hear some music that sounded familiar. It turned out to be Under Starling, a band I'd seen on gig listings but always on dates that clashed with other events, so I hadn't been able to see them live yet. After a few songs I continued on to Blessed and arrived just as they were starting their 90's dance selection.

Skipping ahead a bit from there, Lime Cordiale lost my attention after the third or fourth song, so I went to Girl in Red who were very good for the few songs I saw. Glass Animals looked like they put on an excellent show but I was chatting to my sister behind the delays and I wasn't giving them my full attention. Pixies next was probably the wrong decision, from what I caught of the end of Fred Again..'s set I would have preferred to be in that tent.

Fontaines DC were the highlight of the night for me, in particular the final three songs really got the crowd going. Chatting to the people around me afterwards it turned out that I had ended up standing near the bassist's family. After a few more acts I finished out the night with the last half hour of the DJ in Artlot which is always an experience.

First highlight on Saturday was Havvk. It was the best performance I've seen from them and Julie's vocal was something else. I'd say they were helped by the excellent sound production that was a feature of all the stages I was at. In particular, for Havvk, I thought the speakers were producing a very clear sound and the instrument levels were well balanced.

I caught parts of a few more acts before making it to the Salty Dog for Ham Sandwich. Their cover of Running Up That Hill was one of my songs of the weekend, Niamh can really blast it out. The last few songs of the Saint Sister set warmed me up nicely for Wolf Alice, another festival highlight.

I caught the second, apparently better, half of Columbia Mills and then Le Boom to close out Saturday. I thought both performances were excellent. Although Le Boom don’t seem to have advanced from their early promise and even though Christy has added new musicians something is missing without Aimee.

Sunday opened with some very promising bands Aonair, NOAH, and then, after catching a bit of Dublin Gospel Choir, on to The Florentinas. All ones to keep an eye out for on future bills. Another festival highlight in Mick & Susan followed. I think his piano issues were the only major technical issue I noticed all weekend.

Then we get into what I was calling my commercial pop (might be unfair to some of the artists) run. Griff, Mimi Webb, Joy Crookes, Lemonade Shoelace, Priya Ragu, April, and about 40 minutes of Snow Patrol. Griff gave what I’d say was my song of the weekend, she had what felt like the entire tent singing along to Black Hole.

London Grammar are a band I’ve wanted to see for a while and they didn’t disappoint. The younger crowd around me at Arctic Monkeys were singing along to most of the songs and I had a great time.

Mango & Mathman drew me in while was I ordering my final pint of Langunitas, on to Yard, then Mother, Thumper, Mother to finish out my festival.

I’ll have some comments to add around the organising of the festival, but I want to check back over what’s been mentioned so far and make some notes. Seathrun66 has already covered some of them off. I also think I have responses to the points AJR has raised but I’m not sure I’m bothered writing them out. Again Seathrun66 had much more succinct responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well I had a decent weekend, I seemed to have more craic back at the crew camp than the actual festival site as I was with great buddies and made some new friends too. Friday I didn't emerge into the main arena till just after Willows set, caught the Pixies who were still amazing and the Fontaines, a lot of the time was spent slowly walking about Trailerpark just people watching which is fun in itself.

Security tried to take 4 cans of Guinness from me and that was at staff entry point, I said no your not and walked out again and handed them to a friend outta sight who had a production wristband so I got them onsite eventually again, but a bit sh1t doing this to people who've been working the week there. I caught a few acts at Trailerpark too and when the rain started it was up to the Haunt for the night.

On Saturday I think it was even later when I came into the arena, was jumping about with a few volunteers and we were on a pink gin buzz, she had a hydration pack hid under her unicorn head dress so got blotto on that, we floated about Green Crafts as I had friends working there and that daft Coco Cola venue for a few free tiny cans of coke, Trailerpark also for more people watching and a few bands. I only caught one main stage act Tame Impala, who were very trippy, well this visuals anyway and their Pulse Pink Floyd backdrop, the night ended at the Haunt again.

Sunday was more productive and I managed to get into the venue for 4 PM, discovered on app that the Susan and Mick gig was on in forty minutes so used the staff shortcut to get me to Fishtown, the gig was incredible and twas good to meet fellow boardsies as I did with Rubick on the Friday. Done Hazelwood, Salty Dog and Freetown in my wander and met a buddy who was working Trenchtown, so went up there with him to have a few spliffs backstage. Next thing I find myself in Mind & Body and I took a wee geek at Minefield.

And thanks to a message from Seath I was aware that Khruangbin were in Rankins after 9. They were probably one of my best highlights of the 2022 edition, so refreshing and funky, the guitarist is amazing and the bassist, one of the most beautiful women I've ever laid eyes on dressed up like a modern Cleopatra. I had to withdraw from confines of the tent though as I felt I was going to faint with the heat. Still I listened to the rest of their set from near the back so I could have a ciggie. Caught a bit of the Artics who were lively enough too and the rain started again. I had plans to go to Freetown to see Jeff Mills but when the rain started I headed up to the Haunt for the third night in a row.

The state of me today (Tuesday morning), got the total fear, it took me a good hour and a few coffees to shake out of it, must be something to do with sleeping on a bed again after a week sleeping on the ground.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Great review, and lovely to meet you @CoffeeImpala , I’m still regretting not taking your advice on seeing CMAT.

i hope your cycle home was good. G

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Well that could have been my issue too but definitely felt they were tighter than the ones in the main arena (which I didn't go near this year bar the urinals)

I can only say it was the way my friend drove, I think she put in stradbally in sat nav and it brought us that way so maybe we were lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

@AndrewJRenko with the greatest of respect, I suggest you take your legal arguments to the powers who be as us mere mortals here are fun loving folk who just like to discuss the less heavy aspects of festival management - I know a thing or two about this subject area but this really isn’t the platform in my humble opinion! Have a great day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you actually knew a thing or two about the subject area, you'd know that I can't take an Equal Status case to the WRC, as I'm over 21 myself and therefore not discriminated against myself.

Advertisement