Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Dead Dairy Calves Limerick

Options
  • 06-09-2022 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭

Shocking story with figures of dead livestock ranging from 100 to 400 beasts. Thought to be bull calves born from cows in dairy herds, which are of very little monetary value.

Unfortunately for the dairy farm industry, this sort of stuff is dynamite in the hands of those who are campaigning to reduce the national herd. Never mind, those who campaign for eating less meat & dairy.

Terrible for the poor bull calves to die like this, why not just slaughter them at birth if surplus to requirement. The ethics are very disturbing. Obviously many farmers are repulsed by the likes of this but the issue does seem to be part of the dairy industry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The bull calves can be sold, yes at a lower price, but sold to people for numerous reasons

No reason to kill 100+ animals and should be fully investigated before making assumptions of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Indeed - we do have some reports already that issue arose as neighbour noticed a strong smell and initial view that malnutrition may be a contributory cause. Be interesting to see if we hear much more of the case after a couple of days as the dirty washing tends to get swept out of view quick enough. I hope we do as whilst I'd be very supportive of the ordinary family farm, there's an industrial element to some of the big players in the dairy business in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Something fishy alright. Such a waste could be used for pet food minimum.

So a year on from the finding of 270 dead calves on a farm we have another find of between 100-400 (reports are mixed on the exact number) dead male calves.

Death from disease and malnutrition. So the less pretty words would be neglect and starvation. Probably thrown on top of each other as they were born.

The biggest worry would be how prevalent is this behaviour ? How are all the other unwanted male calves disposed of ?

For every find like this how many are going undetected ?

Male calves have zero value so unfortunately, for them, they are discarded as such.

it just doesn’t feel like we live in a civilised society. Can you imagine how long it takes to die from starvation and how painful that would be ?

Now picture your dog or cat dying in such a manner. Why is one more acceptable than the other ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,114 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RTE Radio 1 news at 1 today were to cover this but ran out of time.

Brian Dobson said they would come back to it tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Threads merged

There is also another thread in Farming and Forestry which is now closed temporarily.

They won’t come back to it as unfortunately that industry is still very protected in Ireland.

It’s quite convenient they ran out of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

I am a dairy farmer Klopparama. Firstly, stick to facts please. Statements such as "probably thrown on top of each other as they were born" is mere conjecture and designed to be inflammatory.

I am not on here to defend actions like these. No ifs, buts or maybes. I do not condone the neglect of any animal. I am on here however to defend the position and viewpoint of the majority of livestock farmers. We have had two cases like this in the past year and its not good enough.

The truth of the matter is that we make our living from keeping our livestock in good health. Sick or dead animals destroy many things in a farmers life, finances are among them but the biggest loss is morale. I don't know any farmer that doesn't like and respect the animals in their care. I would know many farmers and could not think of anyone that would have animal welfare issues on their holding.

By the way, to correct your point about the value of male calves, they are not worthless. I have got up to €600 for reared male calves, so no, not worthless. A little fact checking before repeating all that you read, and tarnishing all of the farming community,wouldn't go astray thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I would have thought they would be worth more, even as dog food or whatever, than just letting them die.

I guess I'm wrong.

I had the above comment posted before I saw this. Will you ever stop. It is blatantly obvious now that you are pushing an agenda. Let this be about the issue at hand, the welfare of these calves, not your ideology please.

Are these isolated incidents that have been found out ?

Or is it more likely that this is happening more often ?

Life experience would tell me that for every few that are found there’ll be plenty not found.

You can scramble all you want and hide behind words like ‘agenda’ (the irony being that you’re a farmer but you’re coming here with no agenda ?) but the facts always speak for themselves.

It’s happened before. It’s happened again.

I wonder how many times it’s gone unreported too.

I cannot answer that Klopparama. However, they will have cost the person in question somewhere from €4000 at a minimum up to possibly €80,000 depending on breed, age and conformation. Given the costs involved, I would hazard a guess that it's not all that common.

Don't forget that all farmers must test all animals I their herd annually for TB. Every animal must be accounted for and present on the holding on the day of the test so it is only a matter of time for any farmer before a case like this will be discovered. Greater than 10% (iirc) mortality triggers an automatic inspection from the dept of agriculture so I would think that cases such as this are quite isolated.

The animals are a farmers life, you won’t be in business if you mistreat them.

Some people, very rarely, are not fit to be farmers like some people are not fit for any job and unfortunately the animals suffer. But this is tiny percentage

A few people seem to want to make a judgement before the fact, at the moment nobody here knows what happened

It is also totally incorrect to say these animals are worthless, they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

There are no instances where a farmer can be financially rewarded for killing /letting die male dairy calves. So there is NO point in doing so. You may spend with time and money over 100 euro to raise a jersey male and then sell it for 20 euros at the mart. Losing 80+ euro. BUT if you killed/or let die those jersey calves instead you can be sure that it would show up on the herd records and the Dept. of Agriculture would come down on you hard even going as far as putting you out of business!

The most likely scenario is that those calves were bought in bulk as a calf rearing enterprise and the new owner started to suffer from a mental or physical illness..

No Klopparama, I declared my agenda from the first sentence if you check back.

See a similar thing happening but on a smaller scale each year with one of the bigger farmers around here who is well known as a complete tight arse c*nt.

Sick animals left in one of their fields with little grazing and water once they are older, lame or have other issues that a vet could solve.

One of the neighbours who is also a farmer ended up reporting him to the department of agriculture this summer after he left twenty dead cows lie in the field for two weeks and other neighbouring farmers were complaining about the smell and other cows breaking out into their fields for grass.

Should be put out of business, simple as, if that is the case.

• Advertisement

Having dealt with the department previously on behalf of one of my uncles, and some of their vets, I have little faith in them doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,845 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd take your story with an extremely large grain of salt. 20 cows dying at the same time ..... not to mention at a time when cows were making great money in factories. You're probably talking ballpark of 20k there for these 20 cows if they can walk up the ramp.

All animals have to be disposed of at registered facilities now and there is a fixed price per animal so there is absolutely no advantage for allowing them to "pile up".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nobody has argued that what happened in this particular case is more acceptable than your facetious comparison based upon imaginary circumstances, but apart from that, the other difference is that people don’t keep livestock in their homes.

Some folks are quick to lump all dairy farmers into one group. You will have some farmers who cut corners, don't really care about animal wellbeing. I can only speculate like the rest of you. Normally the males are sold on as veal or pet food, why that wasn't the case no one knows at this stage.But how it is just now being reported I don't know considering the amount of bawling that would of went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,605 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Who said this farmer involved is a dairy farmer? There are no clear facts just people jumping to conclusions.

All sort of stories will come out, in reality if the case was true other farmers would demand he is shut down

twenty cows dead around fields would be known by everyone in the area and to be honest ireland is so small everyone in the country. I live in Meath and never heard it once!!!! Plus my uncle and cousins farm in Meath

I said at the start let’s wait till the facts come out, the wild speculation doesn’t really help

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Dairy farmer or ordinary farmer its still a horrendous thing to do to any animal, but let's not get caught up in semantics, at the very least a farmer buying bull dairy calfs is involved in the dairy industry, the wording isn't the issue here and seems a silly thing to be getting upset over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Interesting to see if this is talked about today on RTE as the farmers have a power hold over information at the state broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,605 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

This thread is unreal. Have you been watching the news this last year, all about climate change and how agriculture is to blame..

Advertisement