Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

apparently munster would lose because they wouldnt 'know' PuC as well as the aviva

despite munster having a fairly poor record in the aviva

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Theres definitely a Limerick Mafia. They might be people with 10 year tickets in Thomond (if any are in issue I'm not actually sure) or just regulars at the stadium that don't want to travel.

Oddly they are probably the same group that religiously objected to the prospect of selling naming rights to Thomond park which probably would have ensured all marquee games stayed in Thomond.

People are self interested when it comes to where their team plays. Oddly its not a surprise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's not a counter argument. It's a statement. What you claimed was bullshit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's also a Cork mafia, refusing to attend games in Thomond Park, more so since the training location at UL was decided.

Shame really but that's people for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Cork has been alienated in all of this and the huge reputation and interest that was garnered in the 2000’s has been largely thrown away. There’s much more of a problem with Cork people not willing to attend games full stop, rather than not wanting to go to Thomond. The size of Musgrave Park disguises that a bit. That’s not because there’s no interest, there is. It’s because the centralisation in Limerick has made people lose the connection. I’m one and I know many.

Cork is where the majority of the players are from, where the major population centre is in the region and by extension the potential fan base. That opportunity has been thrown away with the lock, stock and barrel move to Limerick and throwing games against Zebre and Dragons to Cork almost makes the situation worse. What this now does is expose that for a brief moment and some don’t like it.

In a more forward thinking country you’re probably in breakaway region territory due to the missed potential, but that’s something I don’t see in reality here. It would be interesting to throw the cat among the pigeons though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I just don’t think that’s true tho, spruce. If it were the case, we’d see posters objecting to games in Musgrave every year on here. And I don’t think I’ve every seen as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

this is very true. its like NZ sure they could play every game at Eden Park, but they know they can't as it would cause enormous damage.

we like to think we are the smartest guys in the room when it comes to rugby administration, how great the IRFU is. it really is just another stupid process the IRFU and the branch have undertaken. Much like in Leinster overfocusing player numbers on one of the provinces most elite schools. only now have they started to address that.

Cork should clearly get more games. its Irelands second city to ignore it in sporting terms is really, really stupid.

When Munster were trying to find a training location, Cork were found wanting, UL stepped in and the rest is history. At the time when Munster announced UL as their training base we were told here in this very forum that it would lead to players moving sport and that the player conveyor belt would as good a dry up in Cork however this doom and gloom message was simply incorrect as can be seen by looking at the current list of players.

The fans that feel alienated need to get over themselves.

• Advertisement

If Cork City Council had been as amenable to Munster as Limerick City Council were back in the mid 00s then Musgrave Park would now have a capacity of between 16000 and 18000 and would be getting an interpro and a European game every year.

If UCC had bothered to put in an application, or CIT had put in a stronger one, for the training base then it might have gone to Cork instead of Limerick.

Munster Rugby is based in Musgrave Park and has had a Cork CEO for the last 23 years. The late Garrett Fitzgerald was the man in charge when these decisions were made.

In reality, Cork not supporting Munster Rugby is the reason that the professional game is now based in Limerick. You need to look at yourselfs for the reasons of why that's now the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Absolutely nonsense

plenty of us are travelling for this game and would gladly welcome big games in PUC.

but factually, Leinster isn’t gonna be moved out of thomond, neither are the European pool games or a QF. These are the only games to sell out thomond park and are the main driver for season tickets.

a naming sponsor is 1000% going to ensure the biggest games possible are played in the stadium they’re pumping money into, and that we aren’t paying rent on somewhere else.

euripean semi finals and one off exhibition games? 1000% move then to PUC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

And when the naming rights are now sold?

big reason PUC isn’t gonna happen for league games, despite all the BS counter dream stuff out being put forward

Please produce the evidence. Not one person on here has said no games should be played in Cork. Many of us regularly travel down to games in MP. If we didn't want any games in Cork we wouldn't be traveling down there on Friday evenings and taking time off work to do so.

So again I say that your statement was bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Something to keep in mind about European semi finals.

EPCR rent the ground and keep the gate receipts. So moving a Munster game to Cork means zero income for either Munster or the IRFU, versus somewhere in the region of 4-500,000k rent for the Aviva (or maybe 200k for Thomond). The additional ticket sales going from Limerick to Cork only benefits EPCR and the publicans of the real capital.

Unless that changes, I'm struggling to see this being a runner.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Cork hasnt been alienated though. You have to streamline things. Few to no other professional teams were doing what Munster were and for good reason. Cork is the biggest city and biggest county but that doesnt mean theres less of a connection.

Leinster didnt over focus on producing players from a small number of schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

I genuinely think the Irfu were shocked how much interest there was in Rugby in Cork when they moved the under 20s to Cork. Similarly when Women's game were moved .

Point being I'd that there is a market there. Its up to Munster and the Irfu to decide how to make money here.

Post edited by timothydec77 on

You know full well the ERC will rent the stadium that Munster/IRFU want to use. If both the IRFU and Munster think hosting a game in PuC is the right thing to do then that's where the ERC will use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Going to limerick from Cork for a game is not an easy excursion, and its understandable that people dont want to make that journey regularly and do so for Euro games or interpros mostly. For a lot of people its a two hour journey each way door to door.

The new (if it ever happens) road might help make it easier - and previously MR have made representations on this topic to the political leaders involved because they know its affecting attendances

The naming rights is not part of the consideration for moving games, its might have an impact on the price paid, but naming rights have been discussed for years and nothing has happened

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Naming rights most certainly would be a consideration in moving games. If someone pays to have the stadium named after them they will have contracts stipulating what matches are to be in the stadium. It’s why any Ireland matches outside the aviva cant be test matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ummm, yes. You just repeated my point except with a needlessly aggressive "you know full well" at the start. I do indeed know it full well, that's why I said it. Now you know it full well too because I told you, so I guess you're welcome?

God I hope Munster win a trophy at some point so some lads can divest their shoulders of some chips.

The naming rights is not part of the consideration for moving games, its might have an impact on the price paid, but naming rights have been discussed for years and nothing has happened

Where are you getting this from, or is it just wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I see some are saying "there will never be league games in PUC". Nobody is suggesting that there will be. What I see people suggesting is that potentially this SA game could open a door where we could have a home ERC semi final in Cork. To me the only Munster games that would be held in PUC are against touring sides and possibly home ERC semi finals. Taking "home" ERC semi finals to the Aviva also obviously sees a lot of Munster cash spent in the capital which I, for one, would prefer to see spent in Munster, be that Cork or Limerick. No floodgates will open following this SA game. But hopefully we might see Munster play a home ERC semi final inside the province in the near future which would be great for Munster Rugby's fanbase, great for Cork supporters and extremely welcome for the local economy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Let if be sold before worrying about it.

Maybe having a great success in PuC will give Munster leverage in negotiations.

Sponsor: we would want all the games in thomond

Munster: well we could have a great success in PuC. If you want all games in thomond offer more money.

The contract for naming rights has not stopped Saracens, wasps, northampton, and many many other teams from moving games away from their home ground, so a potential sale of naming rights would not come with guarantees of the sort like some have suggested.

Correct, naming rights have been rumoured for years. However last Mays Munster board meeting minutes specifically mentioned it.

Naming rights for TP – internal discussions at the potential sponsor are going slowly – hope to have news by September.

The discussions with a third party around the potential naming rights of Thomond Park have been put on hold until September, but the potential partner is still keen but needs to get the timing right internally

I think it's going to happen this time.

Its been a regular topic over the years and one that was subject to a lot of backlash before.

If it happens so be it as far as im concerned but the point is that naming rights dont come with a guarantee that games wont be moved.

I think rotating the leinster xmas fixture between cork and limerick is the most viable one to consider in terms of ticket sales opportunity and guaranteeing a sellout.

The other opportunity that could be explored is a regular season league game against half decent opposition being held in killarney but there is less gurantee of a sellout and difficult to see financial viability.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I see some are saying "there will never be league games in PUC". Nobody is suggesting that there will be.

Just to be clear, some posters previously were suggesting there could be league games there.

I'd agree pretty much totally with the remainder of your post tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

While it sounds good in theory.

Kerry has no suitable venue or great support for Rugby.

It neither suits the core support of Limerick or Cork.

• Advertisement

Some of those teams don't own or maybe co own the stadium and some are multi purpose so the sponsor would be getting advertising from the ground being used for athletics/football unlike the 10 or 11 games a year like they would be getting with Thomond Park naming rights.

Look you may be right but if I was looking to sponsor the naming rights of Thomond Park then I wouldn't be allowing Munster move any regular season game from Thomond Park aside from the few that are normally ringfenced for Musgrave Park.

Advertisement