Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

desperately!!! Back at work yesterday was just horrendous after (for me) 6 nights in stradbally!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There is no compensation gravy train under Equal Status law in Ireland. It's difficult and slow to take a case, and any award you might get would be directly related to losses incurred, so there no incentive to make a claim.

Where are these over 55 community events that refuse entry to under 55s please? Are other festivals doing the over 21 thing beyond ATN?

The spirit of the legislation is designed to protect adults, young and old, against age discrimination. There have been many cases around protecting young people, including access to pubs. This is why the Intoxicating Liquor Act had to be amended to allow "over 21s" rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Yes night and day festival is over 20s. can we now just accept this happens and stop boring people with legalese and get back to talking about EP and music

Thanks, Night and Day mention both over 20 and over 21 on their site.

I've no difficulty with accepting that this happens. My only point is that such rules constitute age discrimination under Equal Status laws in Ireland .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Hi Andrew, I have a case coming up in the High court, how much do you charge, do you have a red suit you could wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

How do you block a user?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Granite Head

Thanks, I caught most of that so didn't miss much at all

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭darzog

To add my thoughts…

I would say that on the whole I enjoyed my weekend, had a great time, and saw a rake of brilliant acts. Was it close to being my favourite EP? No. Will I be sitting trying to secure tickets for next year this Saturday. Probably.

Highlights: First and foremost, I would echo that meeting fellow Boardsies on my travels was my favourite part of the weekend. I am a heroically unprolific poster, and horribly odd when it comes to meeting new people and trying new things, but I am so glad that I put myself out there and said hi. As Mucker said, it was lovely to bump into someone, have a quick yarn about who you had seen and were planning on seeing, then moving on to wherever you were both heading, with the knowledge your paths would criss-cross over the weekend. Sound bunch all. Look forward to seeing you in the future. 

Acts: Khruangbin were my unexpected hit; Tadhg played on virtually every woodland stage all weekend and he delivered every time; Thumper at M&B were unreal; loved CVC; big shout out for the back-to-back sets by Mariachi San Patricio & Dea Matrona in Jerry Fish on Sunday afternoon. The yin and yang of a typical great Sunday afternoon at the Picnic; The Haunt was fun too, as always.

Downers: Have to agree about how dark it is between the tents. I struggled with this on Friday night when negotiating the swollen crowds around the time of Pixies / Fred Again. I second the opinion that guys urinating against the fence when only feet away from free urinals are durty bastes who were rared wrong!

I’m kind of over younger guys announcing that they have arrived at a set (in the main tents chiefly) by barging into and causing mayhem with a hitherto tranquil group of ‘non-combatants’ on the fringes or further back. Maybe ‘twas always thus, maybe it’s just me getting on in years. People gonna people.

Final note. I just want to say a huge thank you to the medical team who looked after me on Saturday afternoon after ‘I took not well’. From the Civil Defence team that came to my aid initially, to the medics and paramedics in the ER tent behind Electric Arena. Every one was thoroughly professional and reassuring. Couldn’t have been in better hands. The proper heroes of the whole show…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭endainoz

Go into their profile and press the tab under message, and just click ignore. It's a very handy tool on boards, especially against those who never give up on an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Aye, that's a good description. In saying that, they also covered Plastic Bertrand's 'Ca Plane Pour Moi' and had another song that rode along on a laidback psych groove with a droning viola that was very much up my strasse.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Last time I wore a red suit in Court didn't work out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

I think it was Mucker46's recommendation, I was just supporting his views.

Thanks for reminding me that I left a bit out. I was very fortunate with the weather on my cycle home.

Shortly after turning onto the canal it started to drizzle lightly. I looked behind me and saw some very angry clouds where I'd just been. As the sky looked clear to my right where the wind was coming from I pressed on and hoped for the best. Thankfully I was back in dry conditions after a few minutes.

At another point I had stopped to pick up some food and water when a heavy shower hit . I was able to wait it out in the covered area in front of the row of shops.

The return pace was a fair bit slower than on Thursday. I had a little less than three hours of extra moving time. This was also quite fortunate. As I approached the Dublin border it was apparent that I was catching the tail end of some very heavy rain as the ground was soaked. When I got home I was told it had been raining for a few hours there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭rubick

BRAAAAAAAP BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM "YEEEEOOO!!!!"

I sit here in work in Belfast City Centre as the rain bounces off the streets, and sure it's a wonderful change, right? Some thoughts on #10 EP (#11 for herself) follow.

THURSDAY

We arrived in Green Car Park at 2.45pm in the blazing sun, and after loading up the FestivalMaster400 our hearts sank a little as we joined the queue. Thankfully, they seemed to start letting folks in well before 4pm and with no hassle at the wristband exchange we headed into the arena. Pink Moon left, Eco/Wilde/Chaplin/Joplin etc. to the right. We had the tent up for 5.30pm and I couldn't wait to taste that first can of Whiplash. Eco Woodlands filled up extremely quickly but there was still space on Thursday night. Packed a few cans and headed round for the traditional pizza at The Big Blue Bus in Warhol, which was already pretty full. Hendrix looked the usual. We took a few back alleys and found our way into the Salty Dog, second most visited stage of the weekend after Trenchtown (Revelation Soundsystem's Affrykya Stage/The Hustle). Fond memories of all that dust that was rising off the grounds. Would it last? It would in yer hole! Caught a few acts on the Salty Dog first then round to Revelation Soundystem to worship at that rig of theirs. Didn't want to go all out at it so we were back in the tent for about 12.30pm, had a great oul sleep. Great to be back!

FRIDAY

Lads we'd no plan. I'd made a Clashfinder but couldn't print it in work. This is our 4th festival of the summer (BTP, Glastonbury, ATN) so we made the decision to have a wandering year given that we aren't that familiar with much of the guitar-based stuff on the line-up. No regrets there. Whilst this has been the least number of acts we've seen so far this summer, at EP we heard and danced to so many different types of tunes that we feel we made the right call. Took in a right few acts on Salty Dog, Trenchtown and Trailer Park, explored the latter quite a bit and headed round to see what Jerry Fish had to offer - nothing on when we arrived sadly. Really like the new location and I'm sure he's glad to be away from the Coke Zero Chocobot Vaporesso Happy-Smile Time sponsored stages. Straight over to the Main Stage for Denise Chalia who was impressive, bite to eat, wander back to Revelation Soundsystem and in for a Kinara Kitchen (that butter chicken, lads) and it was time for my weekend pick, Pixies. Now I've read some of your reviews and been chatting to a lot of you at the festival, but this was our first time seeing them and really, I thought they were outstanding. Sure, no Debaser. Criminal. But I've rarely seen The EA in better voice. That was no small ovation at the end. Really impressed and just sorry I didn't see them earlier in my gigging career. But you can't dwell on these things. Another stint at The Hustle (their Negronis were powerful strong) and @desk tidy decided that was her for the night. "No Lyn, I'll not need the rain gear. It'll be grand. I'll not be long." That worked out tremendously. Not long after we parted ways, the heavens opened. I was round at Revelation Soundsystem (again) getting my dub on when each person on the dance all tried to shelter in the trees surrounding the rig. Of course there was too many of us. A girl dropped her cowboy hat running for shelter and I got drenched trying to return it to her. The damage done, I just danced in the rain for a bit, then back to The Hustle for some house and actual shelter. Their dancefloor area wasn't under cover and was sodden. Got chatting to a few randoms, by this stage it was about 2am and I wasn't going to get any dryer, so off I went back to Eco via Providenica. Utterly soaked, I thank the festival gods that this year I packed extra trackie bottoms, dried myself off and got a decent sleep.

SATURDAY

"We need crepes." Round to Warhol, the closest vendors, and the conditions aren't great but manageable. It's only when you see Warhol/Hendrix in these conditions that you realise what a blessing the Eco campsite is. We headed into the Main Arena quite early and took to wandering with cocktails. Missed Havvk and Naked Lungs but didn't really mind. Back round to Silverbacks at Salty Dog who were very impressive. Stood for a bit with @Stillill42 but the rain came on and we spotted our Eco neighbours @Kepler21 and @Seathrun66 on the new seating so watched the rest of the set from there. Wandered off into Trenchtown again but almost missed These Charming Men's set, catching only the last few tracks off to the left of the stage. Saw a bit of Eve at Terminus after that (bangin', we'd saw her at BTP as well, very impressive), yet more dandering into the Main Arena for eats and exploration around Mind & Body where we left a little keepsake for my late mother. Caught Silverbacks again at Mind & Body Main Stage (Where's our t-shirts you sh*ts?!) then had a few stints in The Haunt where we met up with @bodhrandude and what can only be described as Turkish Acid House interspersed with rockabilly (god I love that place). After more eats and more cocktails we caught Tame Impala, great to finally see our first headline act on there since Massive Attack 2018. Elephant was a moment and the visuals utterly stunning even though we were rightly up the hill. Time for the Four Four Magazine Takeover in Anachronica - I'd purchased a 3 Euro poncho (Man of the Match) so I had a right oul rave up until about 3.30am with Areo and Tommy Holohan. Quality techno throughout and a lot of really sound heads about. Managed to put the poncho on back to front but thanks to assistance from passing ravers I got back to Eco unscathed this time, if a little wet round the shins.

SUNDAY

Yikes. The Warhol/Chaplin junction is underwater making access to the showers something of a challenge. Quite spongy but sympathies must lie with those souls camped right on the junction, with punters now traversing around their tents forming a mud island. We make a beeline for the Main Arena for some savoury crepes, a burrito and pizza and sure you wouldn't know we'd been lying in a field for 3 nights. We got chatting to a local couple from Laois who were lovely and full of hilarious stories. Just about made it for the last few tunes of the Beach Boys Tribute, relieved that @darzog was still with us and great to meet @HarryTheSpider and partner! Caught Co Down's Lemonade Shoelace on Mind & Body Main Stage, who were excellent in that Tame Impala/Pond vibe, will be following their career with great interest. Further trips to Revelation Soundsystem, The Hustle and a farewell to all that as we hit Terminus for the Helena Hauff/Jeff Mills double header. Helena was sensational - what a set ranging from filthy electro into banging techno, crowd called for One More Tune at the end. Jeff up next - but I thought I felt dripping from the roof of Terminus (we were at the front left) and sure enough that deluge was on - we got back to Eco before the worst of it but that was our Picnic over. Fell into a good sleep around 1am but my god they definitely upped the sound levels on The Rave in the Woods on Sunday because it woke me around 3.30am. Or maybe it was because it was the first I'd heard it from the tent! Got over to sleep after it finished and that was all she wrote.

MONDAY

So glad to have had Kepler and Seathrunn as our neighbours, sorry Stillill42 got landed in the Eco 'Techno Corner' nearest the forest. All in all a weird but definitely fun outing in terms of bands seen, gutted I couldn't find the Drum 'n Bass room in Providencia, which is coming on in terms of things to see and do. Bit damp getting out of the car park but we were back to Antrim for 1.30pm - despite the attempts of some utter unit merging really quickly on the N7 just before the M50 - really could have went in to the back of him in quite heavy traffic.

We'll be back, but next time we'll have more of a schedule prepared. That app is no use really. Hope everyone had a belter, great to meet a lot of you (yo, @Thundercats Ho !) - roll on The Cure and Beyond the Pale to we get at it again.

Cheers,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭endainoz

CMAT doing a few gigs this winter, I'm going to head to the show in Dolans. Was definitely the gig of the weekend for me, energy from the crowd was amazing.

Other notable mentions are Kneecap, Fontaines, Jiggy, Ham Sandwich, Thumper, Pixies, bootleg beach boys, and a few others who have escaped my mind. I just realized the majority of those acts are Irish so it really shows where my allegiances lie😂.

Really enjoyed the chilled out vibes on the Thursday. Got a perfect parking spot by taking the coach route and entering green via the performers entrance. Just moved to the field next to that to get into the regular green car park so that helped a lot for bringing stuff into pink moon.

Not much point in going into a full review as any points I had are pretty much already covered. I definitely enjoyed myself but like a good few others here, it will be my last picnic. There's better events out there with better crowds, and better acts. We have had a great run though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

One example, many others dotted around the country. not open to under-55s. And that's me out. You're being tiresome dude. Enjoy your week and please troll elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

De brudder has come down with the covid now after the weekend. He went to Jeff Mills, I went to bed, I think the correct choice was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I am absolutely shook..I forgot I’m three years older since the last ep…the crazy dreams I’ve had the last two nights too. A lot of the reviews here are making me feel a lot better and helping with the fear, validating how I feel.

There’s different laws for clubs , like the over 55 club, and running public events, as confirmed by the Supreme Court judgement on Portmarnock Golf Club.

You’d think that someone who claims to get paid for advice on equality law would know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Andrew give us your review of the festival instead of this sh1t, who were your favourites, highs and lows. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

You are also forgetting that Wild Roots Festival was also free flow along with Body&Soul, ATN and BTP as Van Doozy done amazing business there over the weekend.

Wasn’t there mate, not my scene really, I’m a bit too settled and fond of my comforts. I’ve never heard of 99% of the music acts. Fair play to all who survived the tough conditions, hope y’all had a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Ooh! the freedom of the ignore button. i feel happy again.... 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

In fairness to Silverbacks announcement of a 'Free t-shirt for everyone who attended the second set', it did come with the caveat that they were invisible!

Glad to see some love for Revelation too. Benji and Jeremiah would play 24/7 if they could. Trenchtown just hasn't been the same without them and they're a massive loss from B&S too (where they got shutdown for being too loud and never brought back. Pah! Although the reggae only lasted one more year after that anyways. Double Pah!!!).

You would've loved the DnB on Saturday night, proper filth 😁😎 Whoever said there was an exit out of that smokefilled container i salute you. I had no idea!!!

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

My review earlier I got days mixed up, the pink gin day was Friday not Saturday. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,493 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

some quick comments before im ready to do a review over the weekend

1. khruangbin are excellent!! i left my group in london gramer to go check them out and i funky danced from the first minute to they last of their set. a poster mentioned before they didnt like then cos they were too slick, well give me slick **** anyday, the little nod to chris isaaks wicked game was a highlight
    2. cover bands being highlights isnt a good sign for the rest of the festival. harvest on friday evening were truly excellent, toishin before them were kicking as well. TCM a good as ever though the weather beforehand had teh crown in a bit of a downer.
    3. didnt really check out many on the main stage. kooks bored me. arctic monkeys set was excellent, but we were standing in front of the grandstands and id estimate about 20% of the crowd dispersed because of the weather to go elsewhere. agreed with other that the "no entry" sign from EA to main stage was useless and badly thought out
    4. tadgh before MF and SON was highly entertaining, looked like he had a ball which is always a good sign. Mick and susan are just magical, and the sound issue with teh piano just made the gig more memorable. starting with "oh sister" was a new highlight
    5. as others have said, freetown and trenchtown criminally under used. we shacked up in the "our lady of consumption" bar on sunday for a few indoor cold cans, and a trad session started up with about 30 participants, it was great craic !!
    6. love where jerrys tent is now located, but the artlot was still spilling some sound bleed towards it.
    7. trailerpark needs its own bar !!! the gin and cocktail places either side of the stage must be cleaning up.
    8. mind and body areas were a depressing place to be any time i walked through, which was often enough as we had storage lockers at hendrix. some planning around swapping that with trenchtown might be something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

@sydthebeat good point there on if cover bands were highlights

I just really felt that what I loved and were my highlights this weekend I would get at body and soul or ATN. There was nothing special this year that’s sets it apart only bigger capacity and more commercial bar yokes. Ok ye get it…I’m still rambling but I think I’m only at the acceptance stage now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Stillill42

My perception of the alcohol situation has certainly shifted this year as a long time attendee but first time camper. I was filled several times with a simmering but righteous anger about the fact that the woods areas, Jerry, Hazelwood, Salty Dog etc were not deemed worthy of a proper bar but have been dragged nonetheless into the arena boundary, denying folk their own cans. Shameful exploitation. Covert freeflow doesn't change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I'm still wrecked and that has an impact but the post EP buzz is defo a bit of a deflated one this year rather the tired-but-happy feeling of previous years. Off to Sigur Ros and the Cure in the coming couple of months, both headliners for my first EP, talking with the brother about the stuff we saw that weekend, I don't know. Pretty sure I'll be giving it a miss next year.

Post edited by Stillill42 on

Advertisement