Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yep and he knows Joshua isn’t in much of a position to take him up on that offer either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Would fancy Ruiz against Wilder, think Fury showed in the second fight how Wilder might be negated, he’s just a bit one dimensional and if Andy gets close enough his hand speed could make the difference. A very interesting fight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Barring a KO (and I think Ruiz’s chin and body) takes a great shot, Andy stops Wilder late rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Ruiz has heavy hands and great speed when attacking. Great counter puncher. Doesn't have an effective jab. Has poor head movement and poor movement when getting out of the way of a shot. But good movement when it comes to punching in bunches. Must be psychological.

I think both Wilder and Ruiz fancy the fight. Both have reasons to. Wilder will hit Ruiz. Ruiz will hit Wilder. Who can survive?

How have the Fury beatings affected Wilder? Will he still have the heart to go on through heavy shots. I think he will. But is his chin still there?

It won't be a jabbing contest. It will be fireworks. Should be good.

Eddie's bringing the cash cow on a world tour to avoid all possible tough fights?

Good money move by Eddie. He will milk that cow for all it's worth.

Hope AJ puts the foot down and fights Fury. Doubt it though.

• Advertisement

Does anyone think Ruiz would give Usyk a fight? I think his style could trouble Usyk. If Ruiz put on one Usyk's chin, it could get very interesting.

I think its a good clash of styles I'd like to see.

I’m not sure about all of this. Ruiz does look very good in action with flurries and he obviously troubled Ortiz but it’s like 5 fights ago since Ortiz looked good against Wilder and had him in trouble. Yesterday he finished the stronger against Ruiz and won more rounds even if they were thin wins. I can see lots of ways Ruiz could have a gameplan against Wilder and I think going to the body would be effective. I think there are as many question marks over Ruiz’ chin. Before Joshua had his Price moment he knocked Ruiz down heavily. Chris Alg had him on his ass too. You would argue that Wilder has been in harder fights with Fury. I think Wilder’s jab is enough to cause Ruiz trouble and at some point he tags him. KO Wilder about 8/9 but a barnstormer of a fight

From what I have seen of Ruiz he seems to take a very good shot. Yes, knocked down from a very clean shot for AJ, but he was recovered very quickly. With some fighters, and Ruiz is one, it's not just chin, but also their body makeup.

He has a lot of fat that likely absorbs a lot of the punch energy. Strong legs and strong trunk. All this factors in to how the whole body reacts to punches.

Wilder's best shot v Andy will likely be the right uppercut. The left hook doesn't have the proper technique. It's sloppy

The power straight right hand, is, of course D shot, but against a clearly shorter and squat fighter like Ruiz, I don't think it works too well

I think many could. Usyk has had what, 5 fights at HW. Let's be honest, he looked very ordinary in his first few. He beat AJ in fight 1 and fight 2, but AJ just isn't that great. And other fights were competitive, albeit Usyk deserved the wins.

Usyy will be very very difficult to beat, as he has traits that are so valuable, as well as a real belief and will to win.

It's like this: Usyk isn't dominating's/blowing HWs away, but also, he is not getting dominated or blown away. Of course, any real whopper can KO any man, but other than this, Usyk is going to be very difficult to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Ruiz is low output but a real combination puncher and boy can he throw 4 or 5 quick, hard punches for a heavyweight.

Ortiz hit him with a few clean shots but he took them.

Fury would be too big for him but I think style wise, he might be very awkward for Usyk.

Wilder v Ruiz is a great fight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wilder would stop Ruiz in about 7 rounds,

Wilder will use his length close the distance quickly to land the right and it'll be over,

People thinking its easy to put Wilder on the back foot because Fury did it are in dream land, I don't think people realise just how good Fury is & he still had to pick himself off the floor against Wilder ,

Ruiz isn't clever enough or good enough to do what Fury done , His main issue will be his jab

Fury could get close to Wilder is by using his long ass jab to set up entering the pocket, Ruiz doesn't have that weapon & will get obliterated trying to enter the pocket,

Ruiz and Fury are so different based more off their physical differences, not their talents/skills.

Fury does well because of his talent and his incredible size. Stop making out that it's just his skills and talent.

Fury used his huge frame to bully Wilder and tire him, and at times, foul him.

Ruiz will use his physical makeup and his talents differently, but that doesn't mean he cannot get the win, just because he's far shorter and has less length than Fury.

Wilder is not that great. Sure, he could make it difficult for Ruiz by "trying" to keep it long, but that doesn't mean Ruiz cannot find a way to land...

That s what I'm saying Fury length and height mean his Jab (which is great ) was effective, The whole Fury win was based & set up with the jab, The real brilliance of Fury is his size or skill but his awareness of how & when to use them, Something that likes of AJ never had , the ability to understand what he needs to do in the moment to change a fight in his direction , AJ has a game plan & sticks to it if its working or not ,

Go listen to between every round of the 3rd fight & you will hear Sugar constantly screaming at Fury to use his jab more, If you don't make Wilder reset as you walk into the pocket your done, your waking up wondering WTF happened,

How does Ruiz get in on Wilder ? , His jab is crap , his head & foot movement are average at best,

Ruiz has nothing to get him into that pocket without taking massive shots, Look at when he fought AJ the second time AJ kept him at length with ease, Wilder has a fanatics Jab himself he can do what AJ done to Ruiz but finish him with the right ,

Wilder will keep him at length & then BOOOM good night,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Looking forward to seeing Wilder coming back, hopefully still has the dynamite.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

You’re calling it pretty much how I see it too. I don’t think its as clear as that for Wilder. If Ruiz can get close then he will cause big problems and I think Wilder might have some stormy moments en route to a win. Wilder has massive power and agility, he had it all his own way for too long and then met Fury who could outbox and outthink him. He had his moments in fights 1 and 3 and even in 3 Fury was in big trouble at a stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Will AJ vs Fury really happen next? It looks like it might....

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Fury might retire AJ, that's a horrible fight for him.

AJ has nothing to lose. His bubble has been burst a few times. AJ, if he wants the Fury fight should just go for it now. None a this tune up nonsense. Get in and fooking g fight. Same for Fury. Spring 2023. Both of you forget about A side and B side and money split. Just fooking fight. You’ll both earn monstrous/vulgar-money!

Yeah, let's just do it. AJ, if he is smart, should take 60/40 and just come out swinging. I think he has little chance but that's his only one. If he takes tune up fights he might lose them.

Was he that bad against Usyk?

• Advertisement

Is this relating to how AJ may do vs. Fury?

I thought AJ was very poor fight 1 and only a bit better fight 2.

Matching AJ v Fury is a completely different fight, I guess. Yes, Fury will start favorite, and if AJ is as cautious and timid as he has looked recently, then Fury wins on points with rds to spare. Be bit too cute and quick. Could also KO AJ if he really gets going

If AJ grows pair a balls and decides to really give it a proper tear up and go, who knows what he can land.....Fury can be hurt and badly hurt as Wilder showed, and some others have also had him down and wobbled.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I agree with you this is the best offer aj will get if fury is serious he should just go for it and give it his best shot.

I am sick to the back teeth of all the drawn out convoluted nonsense in boxing.....

These boxers constantly harping on about legacy, and wanting to be the best, and doing it for legacy etc. Get in, fight and get out

I guess it's more the money-men behind the boxers that are the real obstacles.

No matter what split happens, both Fury and AJ will sell huge if they fight soon......huge money for both of them...

Post edited by walshb on

Strangely i think your right,

The actually mind set of both fighter here could give AJ & huge mental edge & that's something none of us would have though with this fight,

All of a sudden Aj has nothing to lose but Fury has everything to lose a real change of dynamic ,

Although I'd still expect Fury nails him to the canvas in about 9 or 10

Since Ruiz & even against Usyk AJ tires to keep on the back foot and away from a fight , because he seems afraid of getting tired,

Look at Usyk 2 ,When he stood his ground and went after Usyk in round 9 he nearly stopped him but then was a busted flush for the next 3 rounds,

Fury will have seen that & will go after him & put it on him early but AJ will find it much harder to keep distance due to Fury size & ability ,

I expect a cracking first 5 or 6 rounds where either could go over & then AJ will gas badly & get stopped in brutal fashion due to being absolutely shattered,

I think Fury will make it it a messy first few rounds & also make it intense mentally by talking to him & grabbing, holding ,pulling, Everything he can do to cause stress & fatigue on AJ mentally & physically , He knows AJ will pack it in first & unravel when he is tired ,

He just has to be careful not to get caught himself early,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭geotrig

im still not convinced that round 9 was that great against usyk ,yes he troubled him and Usyk had duck block and evade and was more nearly caught slighty off guard with the sudden movements 😅 .

For me AJ Agaisnt Usyk wasn't that bad just too afraid to take the fight on ,Aj's a good boxer a bit rigid and limited at times but needed these loses to help him move on somewhat ,weather he has any hunger to take a fight on and attack anymore is another thing

I think AJ- Fury and AJ -wilder are still good fights to see would prefer AJ wilder just because wilder is starting to Push on !😁 ,

I'd love to be proven wrong but don't see this fight happening in Dec though. they never get organised that easy

No way any the big HWs fight in December, unless Fury picks some nobody.....

Usyk is out. AJ is out. AJ-Fury spring 2023 would be earliest date if it gets made, but knowing how boxing is, it's probably late fooking summer they way these lads operate

Hearn & Aj said they would be in for December ,

Yeah it looks like this might actually happen.

• Advertisement

Wow!!!

Ok, that would be super..

let’s wait now for the silly beggars!!

Advertisement