Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I changed from Electric Ireland to SSE Airtricity.

Looking now to change from Bord Gais but bonkers is telling me there's nothing to move to that will give me savings???? According to my bill my unit rate is 0.0856 (is that right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Yes rang them today and they confirmed wad locked into lower rates yesterday for 12 months :-)

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That is a fair jump, just 1 cent on the night rate but 4 cents on the day rate which is like a 12% increase in the space of a couple of days.

But at least we both avoided the increase and are locked in at the old rates. Im just hoping I dont get a phone call from them now asking me for some EV charger install certificate 👀

Im on the top floor of a block of apartments dunno where I could put the charger lol

• Advertisement

Me too re the apartment. What class of meter do you have?

Day Night 🌙 old style meter won't be changing to smart meter unless they hold a gun to my head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I’m raging - I missed out on the lower Energia plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I have a digital Day/Night meter & won't be fitting a Smart Meter until I'm forced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I find it impossible to take Conor Pope seriously tbh. This is the same guy that spent €10K on holidays in 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

First time looking at comparison sites for electricity...saying the best deal for me to move to is Energia Home 27%...but I can't see this plan on the Energia website - does that mean that plan is gone now or do I just need to ring them to ask for this plan? Are the comparison websites maybe not up to date on what's available?

I only have 24hr meter so EV plan is not an option

Smart Meter

They just came and fitted these for all apartments. No choice. No contact since about smart plans. It should be cheaper with these but I think it's not.

It seems that energia has changed its discounts from 27% to 15%. They have also reduced their standard unit prices. Based on my own usage figures these changes would mean an increase of €155.42 pa.

I'm with EI since late May & Flowgas are now the only supplier bettering EI based on my usage figures (including the EI price increase due on 1st Oct).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

An interesting point to note when using the comparison site Bonkers.ie

When selecting your search criteria, there is a tick box for 'Only show tariffs available for sign up'.

I saw this and thought, 'of course .... why would I want to see tariffs that I can't avail of'? I ticked the box and worked through the options that then displayed and signed up for the cheapest one. I then had to go to my new supplier website to sign up for additional 'reward' benefits and I noticed that they actually were showing a better (cheaper) deal on their own site.

I sent a complaint email to Bonkers and they replied to explain that when you tick the box, it only shows deals that are arranged with Bonkers and that suppliers may also have deals available that they do not share and they therefore will not be available for sign up through Bonkers.

The explanation that pops up if you click the question mark beside the tick box , simply says ..."Tariffs available for immediate sign up, with bonkers.ie will be shown in your results, so you can rest assured your sign up will go smoothly'. In my opinion, that is being a bit economic with the truth ... it should say " there may be better tariffs available directly from energy suppliers, would you like to include them?"

It is a bit slight of hand.... and has undermined my confidence in the site, as an honest broker. I am tech savy and not stupid, but their tick box methodology with their arguably biased and incomplete explanation, is obviously intended to encourage selection of only deals that they can provide.

Its disappointing to see that the potential for rip off is ever present, even when you think an organisation is working for you.

Caveat emptor!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Great post, I always thought it was a strange tick box. I, of course, would always click "yes" because why would I want to see deals I cannot sign up too? The phrasing of the question is very misleading and very underhanded. It is still a very useful site but certainly undermines my confidence in it.

It's not in bonkers or other such sites interest to warn you as they want you to switch using their site so that they collect the commission from the energy supplier. I always initiate my switch through the suppliers web site.

Caveat emptor! Indeed.

We should not loose sight of the fact that these switching websites are no different from an insurance broker in terms of how they earn their fees. It is always prudent to check both the switching websites and the provider websites to ensure you are getting the best deal out there. A girl working in insurance advised me to do go direct by phone rather that rely on online quotes to get the best deal.

Anyone hazard a guess at how much bonkers and others are making out of each switch? Maybe the CRU should compel them to show how much commission they are earning.

The energy companies are doing exactly what health insurance companies do. Complicate and segment something to make it difficult for consumers to navigate and find best value. My ideal 'deal' would be to offer a standard rate and then opt in discounts or loadings for various extra features added. It will never happen.

Bonkers are not the only comparison site asking this same question on deals not available. All comparison site have the same site architecture.

These are all commercial entities and will point people to the deals or companies they have the best sign up rewards with, giving the min amount of necessary info in the process. While of enormous benefit, ultimately it is caveat emptor for the consumers. The site is well covered no matter how vague or ambiguous the clarifying information is. Never trust a broker that is not offering access to full market offerings.

I would instinctively select 'No' as it is clear by them asking the question there are other deals available. Even the cashback question is worth working both ways as an offering with this feature won't rate as high if you select 'No' .

It is worth spending time on it and cross checking the offer against the service providers own site. When I have selected my own plan (currently looking like its best to split providers (for 1200kwh elec and 4500kwh gas p.a.) I will sign up directly. I don't see the point in doing so with the comparison site.

They are approved for consumer use by the Commission for Utilities (CRU). We are encouraged daily by politicians and other consumer 'experts' to shop around and use such sites ... I bet those advocates are not aware of the issue I have identified. The explanation for for the tick box selection on the bonkers site is in my opinion, incomplete, biased and evasive.

I have asked the CRU for their opinion of slight of hand tactics being used on a site that they approve. Having a CRU endorsement on the site implies a degree of approved consumer confidence that maybe they are not entitled to.

Also worth noting that these websites tend to over state the savings to be made by switching as they default your current deal back to the non discounted rate based on the time left on your current contract.

There's a lack of independent advice available in the area. One should never make a bed for the fox in the hen house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Well infairness, if you don't switch, that is the rate you would be paying as you typically lose your percentage discount after 1 year. That's not misleading.

Agreed, I never compare to my current supplier and always select that I am a new to market customer. The savings calculations are subjective and not relevant - I am simply looking for the cheapest current offering, not some guesstimate of what I might save.

And why would you not switch at the end of your contract if you have gone to the trouble of looking up bonkers etc? It is absolutely misleading.

yeah and then he wrote a tone deaf article complaining about it claiming that he had been ripped off. He is supposed to be the consumer correspondent for the Times & RTE but that article on his summer holidays showed me that Conor Pope has no consumer smarts at all. He he has no credibility left IMO and it also showed me just how far removed from reality the Irish Times/D4 set like Conor Pope actually are.

Ger very good post on the slight of hand tricks happening on Bonkers. I only copped the same thing last year and now I just use Bonkers as a search engine and then go direct to the energy companies websites where they might have even better deals not available on Bonkers. You are right though, the wording by Bonkers is very sneaky and it doesnt make clear that they dont cover every deal on the market and therefore you may not be getting the cheapest possible price.

Would be good if you could post up the CRU reply when it comes and see what they say. My bet is it will be some wishy washy PR waffle becasue they are next to useless when it comes to protecting the consumer. Like all our 'regulators' they are only there to give a veneer of regulation.

Comreg are the same allowing Eir to take direct debits from dead peoples bank accounts and then telling their children only they need to speak to their dead parent to close the account, they're an absolute shambles of a regulator. Over in the UK they slap these companies with massive fines for that kind of crap, here it is ah sure you're grand carry on.

I have dealt with CRU before, on other issues and I would share your opinion that they are useless at consumer protection (as well as broader sector regulation). On actually calling the CRU office on one occasion to follow up on an issue, I was told how under resourced they are and that they struggle to keep up with the workload - I suggested they raised the matter with the relevant minister and also inform the public that they were operating at less then optimum effectiveness!. I never saw that admission acknowledged publicly.

I have also forwarded my CRU complaint email ... to the CAI and Conor Pope of The Irish Times (Pricewatch). If the only consumer recourse being advised, is to funnel us towards comparison sites, those doing so, need to clarify for themselves and us, exactly how those sites operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Im a relatively newbie in the irish market, as i lived abroad for last 10 years or so (currently with EI, deal ending in 3 weeks)

What is the deal with signing up to new suppliers, for example SSE, who are offering a price (Plan is called 1 Year Electricity 35) but it says Tarriff is "Variable"?

Seems to be the same type description on Bord Gais etc. Assume this means that if they put up their rates (as per recent announcements) my bill will go up?

So guess best thing to do is take best price for now (this deal says there is no exit fee) and then keep it on review if prices change?

SSE prices are due to increase wef 1 Oct 22. Have you viewed their new prices?

Prices effective 1 Oct 22:

Post edited by Gooser14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It is the CRU who tell the commercial comparison sites to include those two questions to tick

Advertisement