Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I have explained why I think it is important. I literally stated those reasons in most of my last posts. I even mention its unlikely you vote for PBP, R2C, RISE or the rest.

FF and FG will be fighting to be the second biggest party in the next election. Once they are the main opposition party they will not go in with SF. I'd say it will be a minority SF party with support from the smaller left parties, unlikely coalition IMO.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The history of coalition in this country is littered with junior coalition parties thrown under buses.

Irish political history shows that government can be tough on the larger parties but it can be lethal for junior members of a coalition.

Serving in coalition government can be bad for junior partner’s health – The Irish Times

What's in it for FF? - very simple. To separate them for what has been a disastrous dalliance with FG. (Firmly trending in the mid teens in the polls no matter what MM does)

Either they want to forge a new identity or the perception that they are the same thing on offer as FG deepens.

You cannot discuss SF's route to power without factoring in the predicament of the parties they might coalesce with.

There also seems to me to be a lot of pearl clutching going on about SF having the ability to get an overall majority. Unless there is a massive upswing in the fortunes of the electorate (I can't see that happening with what is coming towards us) that is a very real possibility as the clapometer of the polls pushes towards the 40% mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I find the logic of your post completely disingenuous.

The most likely outcome of a smaller FF going into coalition with a larger SF is the swallowing up of FF by SF.

Mention was made on this thread of "Party Political Broadcast elements" and an opinion that sees SF hitting 40% and FF as a willing much smaller coalition partner is pretty much meeting that definition fully.

In the madly optimistic scenario that SF were to hit 40%, neither FF nor FG will touch them, because they would see the dangers of being swallowed up. FF and FG would put it up to SF, remember that SF will have spent the whole election campaign complaining about FF and FG and calling to oust them. Being in opposition alongside FG allows them to separate themselves better, calling out the government in different ways to FG, that is how Labour, PBP, SF and SDs are maintaining separate identities now.

There are two potential routes to government for SF:

(1) They are roughly the same size as FF and go into government with a rotating Taoiseach arrangement. This would involve a significant fall in support for SF from their current level. Having had a rotating Taoiseach this time, FF won't settle for anything less, and will not go in with SF as a significantly smaller partner. The problem for SF is that they won't have met their own expectations.

(2) SF hit the lofty heights of 40% and cobble together a coalition involving left-wing parties. That will need PBP, Labour and the SDs. This requires a significant increase in support for SF from their current levels. It will also be a completely inexperienced government prone to large mistakes and with the possibility of Paul Murphy doing one and splitting at any moment for any reason.

Achieving government is a significant challenge for SF after the next election bearing all of the above in mind.

Both above options assume a significant change in current levels of support for SF. If current levels are maintained, I find it difficult to see a route to government. Current levels of support for FG and FF will see them maintaining their number of seats in the low 70s, given the peculiarities of the system. A lot of last seat victories for them, but they all count. As a result, the most likely outcome is a less stable version of the current arrangement with FF and FG finding support from one or more smaller parties and independents. The major caveat to that is one of FF or FG stomping into the wilderness of opposition - that would most likely result in a second election in six months.

There would only be a case for a 'revolving Taoiseach' if SF and FF end up with similar numbers of seats. That looks unlikely at this stage.

Also, 40% is not at all unlikely as the trend in the poll shows IMO.

Whether FF would go into a coalition will come down to a programme for government and if they can see potential progress there.

Seems to me you cannot fluff the Greens for doing it and then rule out another party seeing potential there.

Stepping down from a rotating Taoiseach to being a junior partner for SF is a step too far in humiliation for FF. They just won't do it. Much better to sit in opposition with FG, develop a different identity like Bacik is trying to do with Labour and wait for the inevitable collapse of a SF-led left-wing government. That is how the strategists in FF will see it, and no optimistic green-tinted view from a SF perspective will change that.

The only hope for a FF/SF government is on a parity of esteem basis with a rotating Taoiseach.

40% for SF remains extremely unlikely and is fantasy territory. If it did happen, FF and FG would not touch them, hence the need for Paul Murphy.

• Advertisement

I disagree, there is a significant portion of FF that sees the dalliance with FG as humiliation. I expect them to become more vocal as MM's grip loosens.

It will come down to a programme for government IMO.

How a party trending in the mid 30's in the polls can reach 40% is 'fantasy' defeats me, but whatever.

The only thing FF & FG need to do to stop SF getting into power, is not join them.

The numbers will not add up for SF or they'll be forced to have so many small parties in a coalition that it won't be stable for very long

They've already tried that and polls show the electorate are not impressed. Can FF in particular, in the mid teens in the polls risk it again?

The boy with his finger in the dyke springs to mind, does it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

+1 Francie & others must be sniffing too much glue if they think that SF can just ease themselves into government here. Problem for SF is that they've made too many enemies along the way.

• They've targeted and eaten a good part of the Labour vote
    • They've turned to the traditional FF vote and eating into that. Suicidal for FF to join them in government as any sort of junior party. Just maybe as some sort of equal partners.
    • FG vote is anathema.
    • Other left parties have seen what's happened to the Labour vote and looking suspiciously at SF. I can't see Labour or PBP joining SF in a government.
    • I'd be amazed if the Greens went into government with SF, though with the new Greens, you never know.
    • There could be an increasing number of independent TDs and some of these might be happy to make deals with SF for the benefit of their localities.

As far as I can see, SFs best strategy is to keep chipping away in opposition and hope to eventually get elected with an overall majority. How long will that take, if ever? I can see us having various governments of varying combinations for quite a while but they won't include SF, no matter how much they demand their rights.

I don't think you fully grasp what has been happening in the opinion polls.

FG are where they were at the last election, FF a bit down.

SF's increase has come at the expense of the Greens, SDs, independents and Labour. The electorate are not impressed with those parties, but FF and FG, in the midst of some of the biggest crises to hit this country, are holding steady, albeit at the low levels of the last election.

I have set out clearly above SF's routes to government, and wishful thinking won't change that. Your vision is of the mighty FF as a junior partner to a surging SF. While that might make you giddy with anticipation, no serious FF strategist will touch that. A SF brought back down to mid-20s earth with an equal partner in FF at a similar level is a possibility. In that way, FF make themselves once again the party of government, alternating with FG and SF, depending on the election result. As a small junior partner, no chance of FF going in, better to lick their wounds in opposition. FG won't touch SF, their core vote demands that.

• Advertisement

Mid-term opinion polls show the government at their lowest point, so I don't get the scenarios that Francie and others are painting. Your analysis is spot on.

There is a great deal of 'entitlement' barely submerged in that post.

The idea that FF and FG will always be the dictators of who has power here is heavily laid on.

As I said earlier, if you achieve the majority vote, the problems lie with the also rans. The attention will be on what way they handle the democratic decision of the people. I think a lot of people believe that wasn't handled well last time and the perception that a democratic vote is being rejected out of hand by two parties, desperate to cling to power would deepen, rightly or wrongly.

And I think, looking at backbench sentiment in FF and some sentiments expressed by front benchers, that sitting in opposition will only lay their core vote open to more pressure to look elsewhere. That's another 'pressure' to factor in.

Re-entering a FG FF coalition would be suicide IMO not having a go with a party that has the highest support of any party in the Oireachtas.

Again, I think a programme for government will be the key and with MM gone, I can't see why that won't be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ultimately SF will not get near the number of seats required for a majority, or even a minority propped up by a couple of independants.

So what's left for them as a path to government? In order of (IMO) likelihood

1-Coalition of the left if SF get 45+% of the support and only need one or two independents to psh them over the line. This would involve bringing in the loony left nutjobs. PPP et al to get over the 50%+1 threshold. I dont see this going further than 6 months, may not even get past the first budget until one of the left minority partners decides that the SF budget doesnt get extreme enough.

2-Coalition to the left if the numbers similar to the polls happen. SF with high 30's % or 40-42% at a push of the seats. This would need not just a few independents but pretty much a grand coalition of the left. They almost had the numbers to do this last time and couldnt get it to happen. Can't see this being as stable as option one, and may not even be possible,

3- Coalition with FF or FF+Lab+SD. This is the most likely for the "stablest" government but I wouldnt see it lasting past 12 months either. Also unlikely as Lab or SD (or others depending on seats won) would not like to be the third party in government as they would get hammered for 2 decades. I can see FF only going with SF if there's a rotating taoiseach again or they are given both finance ministries to reign in SF loony money tree.

What I actually think will happen is none of the above, SF will be in opposition again and shouting from the ditches as they like to do, while the established parties run the country. Last time was a high tide mark for SF and historically after the high tide, parties don't generally get another groundswell of increased votes. I'd consider maintaining the number of seats they have now as a success for SF.

Also, the longer SF stay in opposition the more years that pass since the troubles, the more new voters that don't remember them as the murderers and criminals that they are, and the longer they get to be seen as the largest opposition party that gives credibility. I do see SF in government the moment there's an actual serious recession like 2008-2011, and that's said as an ardent SF hating capitalist.

There's only one poll that matters and at the end of the day there is no way for SF to form a govt without

• FF/FG going into coalition with them or
    • almost every other party plus a heap of independents joining them. If that happens they won't last 5 years as there'll be too many opposing factions within that govt for it to survive very long

Neither option is very realistic, FG will never happen and it would be suicide for FF to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You can achieve all the majority votes you want Francie and SF could be the largest party. But it does not follow at all that other parties are under any obligation to support a SF government.

You need the holy grail - an overall majority. Or close to that and then buy out a few independents. That's the reality.

Suicide for a FF led by MM maybe. Not so much by somebody else who has indicated that they would have no issues with a SF coalition. Reported to be as high as 20 here:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, the overall majority or a couple of seats short is the only way I see SF in government and even then I dont think it would last more than 6-18 months depending on the SF vs others breakdown.

SF in government also present ideology problems for us as a country.

I would take "entitlement" over wishful thinking and dreaming.

FF cannot go into government as anything less than an equal partner with a rotating Taoiseach, no matter whether that is FG or SF. If the choice for FF is rotating Taoiseach with FG or junior party with SF, the answer is FG all day long.

The dictators of power aren't FF or FG, they are the political realities and the numbers of seats. No matter which way you look at it, and a number of other posters are confirming this, SF as an equal partner to FF or SF leading a rabble of the left are the only two routes to power on current and likely polling numbers. To get FF in, Mary-Lou may even have to concede first go at Taoiseach.

20 of them at least seem to disagree. 'Rotating Taoiseach will only come into effect if there is a parity in seat numbers.

Programme for government will be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

When potential voters look at SF, they see hope. That is often driven by a distrust or dislike of the traditionally larger parties and of course their monopolization of government. Around election time people start to pay attention to election promises and make their decisions about who to vote for. Some, I'd like to think, do read the manifestos and have a think about which might best suit them. These are really centrist voters that the catch-all of FF and FG and to a smaller degree Labour court because that is where elections are won and lost. They are the floating voters and depending on their mood they can choose any of those types of parties. SF would not really be on the list.

There is a large risk associated with this type of "hope" voting for SF. SF, to certain groups, represent the antithesis of political establishment in Ireland. One could argue that people are not necessarily voting for something but against a status quo. That's really not the same as being in favour of what they propose.

If posters are looking for a political example of what might happen to SF, the punishment doled out to Labour in 1997 is the best example. There were an awful lot of furious voters and suddenly ex-members of Labour who were disgusted at Spring’s decision to go in with FF. The irony is that they get a fair bit of credit for that 1994-1997 government which kicked off some of this new Ireland, as voters understood that coalition with FG in particular was kind of a natural place for them to be. 2016 was perhaps a lesser example but their wild and stupid remarks in 2011 came back to haunt them.

What Labour could tell SF is that votes that seem to come their way don't stay there, especially if they are seen to mess up, save those who will vote for a party’s position all the time. Labour have plenty of practice of compromise and yet still get some of their policies enacted. SF have never had to do that. How might these voters cope with their need to explain that promises made just can't be achieved in government? Will their voters accept that kind of compromise? 

For now I see rerun of some form of what we've had for the last decade, possibly with more bodies. SF may rage against the so-called undemocratic nature of that but their inclusion would be dependent on way too many moving parts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

As I said earlier, if you achieve the majority vote, the problems lie with the also rans. The attention will be on what way they handle the democratic decision of the people. I think a lot of people believe that wasn't handled well last time and the perception that a democratic vote is being rejected out of hand by two parties, desperate to cling to power would deepen, rightly or wrongly.

While I appreciate that the nature of politics requires seriousness to be attached to plainly unserious topics, I struggle to care about the opinions of people who think a government representing 50.2% of first choice votes is undemocratic. Though that that view was and is prevalent does indeed represent a problem, but I think it is a problem with the political understanding of the electorate and something that does need to be addressed.

There are many who clung to a delusion after the last election that because SF won the most seats, that they deserved to be in power. If that was the case, we would have had decades and decades of unbroken FF rule because they always won the most seats right up until 2011.

Being the largest party in a system of many parties is a guarantee of nothing.

I never said the 'government was undemocratic'.

What I said was the handling of the democratic decision of the electorate was an issue for many. And many think they didn't exactly handle it well and ushered in a coalition not seen for the 100 years of the state.

That's why questions about what they intend to do and whom they will consider coalescing with this time will be of great significance in the forthcoming election campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

SF's increase has come at the expense of the Greens, SDs, independents and Labour.

So where did FG's votes go? It wasn't to FF. Its obvious former FG and FF voters went elsewhere.

What I said was the handling of the democratic decision of the electorate was an issue for many.

What democratic decision are you referring to and in what way was it an issue as to how it was handled?

I think it's fairly obvious what I am referring to. The issue of coalescing for the first time in 100 years rather than talking to the party that achieved the highest vote.

I said at the time it would come back to bite them and I haven't changed my mind. Both of them are between a rock and a hard place and if people delude themselves into thinking that a similar response (another coalition of the two) won't further damage them then that is for themselves. I don't think that delusion holds any sway in FF at the minute tbh. Even Martin has been chastened and isn't categorically ruling out a coalition. He knows the potential damage that might do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

It was a revolt vote. SF got the swing vote who decided not to vote for either FF or FG just to piss them off.

Did FG and FF lose some voters? probably. But the big difference was the voters who might have gone FF or FG decided to just vote for anyone but FF/FG. Labour got thrown into that pot as well.

As it was said to me at the time, SF was the only one left on the list.

Yeah that doesn't clear up anything.

You're talking about political parties who get elected and try to form govts. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

About the only ones bitter at the time and since then are the SF folks who somehow equate being unable to form a govt with being robbed of being in govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

When people traditionally moved from FF to FG and back again, it must have been to "piss them off".

FG certainly lost votes. There's no probably about it. FF lost some too.

It was suggested SF are only taking votes from Labour and smaller parties. That doesn't seem to be the case.

I don't know why they lost votes to SF but I'd imagine its performance based and as nothing has changed really, I can't see them going from SF.

• Advertisement

The democratic decision of the electorate was to give FF, FG and the Greens a working overall majority. What bit of that don't you understand?

SF couldn't cut a deal with anyone. That is the other reality. I hate repeating myself, but the answers to your questions about what they do in the next election was already given to you pages ago.

Finally, the idea that somehow the current government is undemocratic or didn't reflect the democratic will of the Irish people is as Trumpian as you can get in an Irish context.

Advertisement