Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,846 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No the real question is how Marie Farrell could run a shop on the main street for months, a shop Bailey had visited as supposedly her husband knew who he was from the shop... and never see Bailey before about town, then somehow couldn't stop seeing him, including apparently three times over the same weekend at different locations! Including on the side of the road at 3am in the morning.

And then shortly afterwards on the main street. The main street she'd never seen him on before.

And couldn't stop getting his description wrong.

Some eyesight she has.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭tibruit

"That`s typical Ian Bailey dark humor"

Which even Yvonne Ungerer acknowledges. Ask yourself this. Why would Yvonne say that if she was really out to get Bailey?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

I never suggested that Ungerer was out to get Bailey...?

As you correctly stated, even Yvonne Ungerer (assuming she is the mystery informant), was quite open in suggesting that the statement she alleges Bailey made - May have been of a sarcastic / poor attempt at dark humor type of remark..

Either way, it both proves and means nothing.

I have always held the belief, that this review was nothing more than a boot licking gesture by the Irish Government, to appease the French President who just so happens to be friends of Sophie's Husbands Family..

Hopefully the review will be dragged out until the next election, allowing the present Irish Government to pass that baby onto the next bunch of morons that take over...

So why has she never said that she knew him? Wouldn`t it have fit snugly in with her whole garda pants dropping , coercing narrative? Why hasn`t Bailey ever said "Of course she knew me!"? Why, when it was clearly Bailey who was on the Airhill Road that morning, did she not just state "The man I saw on the Airhill Road was Ian Bailey"? Of course she didn`t know him.

The review is all about tying up any loose ends that might get in the way of a future prosecution of Bailey. There are no other realistic suspects. There are only two options here. Bailey will either be charged with murder or he won`t be.

• Advertisement

Nothing new at all. Senan Maloney did the same thing last month, reheat an old story and publish it in the Indo as if it's something new. He's what you call a microwave journalist. He knows it will get clicks because people are still interested in the case, and he knows if the Gaurds turn up anything new he will make money from it because he is the 'go to' man when a radio or TV program want to discuss the case.

Sophie's death is essentially his franchise.

We have to agree to disagree here.....

You suggest that Bailey is the only realistic suspect?? Man, you gotta take off the Bailey tinted glasses for a minute.

If this was such a clear cut open and shut book, nobody would bother with it..

I agree that the circumstantial evidence keeps Bailey in the picture.. But no more than at least half a dozen others.

*And Bailey would be bottom of that list *

The reason why this murder was never resolved, is mainly due to an inept bunch of keystone cops, trying to fit a man up for the murder of Sophie from the get-go....

They tried their damndest 25yrs ago to charge him with murder, didn't wash then, won't wash now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Here is the interesting point. It wasn't right from the get go, but a while later. What prompted this, I / we all don't know, can only speculate about. Maybe because they needed a patsy, maybe because he was English, maybe because of his personality.

I'd say, if push came to shove, Bailey would have outsmarted the Guards in South West Ireland by far, he would by any rate have had the higher IQ, even managed a law degree, as far as I know. Bailey's problem is or was his drinking and his personality. It's comparatively easy to build a case for a patsy on that, especially in the society of rural Ireland back then.

And good luck to him. Maloney is keeping the facts in the public arena. There are individuals out there that need constant reminding. Some of them congregate on this forum. They range from those that think there is no evidence that implicates Bailey to those that proclaim there are a number of more viable suspects. They also seem to get very agitated when confronted with some of the cold hard facts about this case and Bailey in particular.

Erm.....There is no evidence that implicates Bailey.

Just saying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Jaysis its been explained to you before several times why the Airhill Rd sighting is irrellevent - Why do you keep mentioning it? If the Gardai gave Marie Farrell a picture of you ( Tibruit) she would have said it was you outside her shop. She was led by Gardai to say it was Ian Bailey outside her shop and at Kilfeada bridge.

The fact Ian Bailey was on the Airhill Rd a day before the murder has nothing whatsoever to do with the murder. Marie Farrells sightings are unreliable simple as that.

Of course Marie Farrell knew Bailey to see - I dont believe for one second that she hadnt seen him before. It is such a small place that everyone knew one another and were interlinked every way. Jules's daughter even babysat Marie Farrells kids.

I don`t need anything explained to me thanks very much. You were one of those that ridiculed me over some remarks I made several pages back about what Marie had stated to GSOC. But my interpretation was correct and your failure to comprehend that what she was saying to GSOC was different to what she said in her initial statements 16 years earlier, quite frankly bordered on being juvenile. I didn`t make a big deal about it at the time because you don`t seem to be a nasty sort.

She may well have been pressurized by gardaí to say that the man outside her shop and at Kealfada was Bailey, but that will never get away from the reality that the man she saw on the Airhill Road almost certainly was Bailey and the gardaí did not know at the time she made that first statement that he was there that morning. As far as can be ascertained, she still to this day maintains that the three sightings were of the same man.

I suspect Marie pops in here from time to time to read what everyone says about her. Like Bailey, she just can`t help herself. I suspect and predict that at some future point she will give an interview and say something along the lines of "I now accept that the man I saw on the Airhill Road was Ian Bailey. However, on mature recollection and reflection, I accept that this was not the man I saw outside my shop and at Kealfada Bridge." No doubt Jim Sheridan and Ian Bailey will be delighted. She may even say "I would also like to put on the record that I actually did know Ian Bailey before I made any contact with gardaí."

I for one will not be believing her.

So you are saying you believe some of what Marie Farrell said and you believe she is a liar for the bits you dont like. Im no fan of Marie Farrell but I will say one thing for her it took guts for her to come out and say she lied about seeing Ian Bailey. It also took guts for her to say what she said about the Gardai.

Its astounding that she has never being prosecuted for her part in this and all the lies she told. What she done was a crime. Ask yourself why she was never sentenced for this - its because she has even more dirt on the Gardai that she hasn't made public, that is why the gardai have kept her sweet.

Why did Marie take back what was originally said - well maybe she has a conscience or maybe she seen that the Gardai couldn't deliver fully what they promised her in return for her lies.

"So you are saying you believe some of what Marie Farrell said..."

Well I believe that she saw Bailey that Sunday morning because he was on that road at the approximate stated time and the gardaí didn`t discover that he was there until a couple of weeks after she made that statement. Therefore they couldn`t have coerced her to say that. This also undermines her own withdrawal of her identifying of Bailey as the man from the three sightings because the man in the second sighting was Bailey.

"and you believe she is a liar for the bits you don`t like"

No. I question everything else she says. But in terms of probability the shop sighting is far more credible than the Kealfada one.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

"Its astounding that she has never being prosecuted for her part in this and all the lies she told. What she done was a crime. Ask yourself why she was never sentenced for this - its because she has even more dirt on the Gardai that she hasn't made public, that is why the gardai have kept her sweet."

Right on the money.

Of all the questions in this case, apart from who killed Sophie and why, the one I would like answered is why the Garda and judiciary have not done more to force Marie Farrell to identify her companion. Not only is he a key witness, but given that he was in the vicinity of the crime on the night, he may also be a suspect.

It is inexplicable that she was allowed to withhold such vital information without the full weight of the law being brought to bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

It's just mind-bending that they didn't try hard enough. As you say, this person could conceivably be a suspect but for some reason the Gardai just couldn't get her to give them the right name.

I feel like she must have been in the car with someone as she had plenty of opportunity to just say "I was in the car alone actually" but she never did. She had plenty of opportunity to just say "actually I was at home the whole time that evening". The only reason to not be able to say that is because she was out and about and she was in the car with someone else and if that someone else ever came forward it would just cause an even bigger situation. Especially if this guy comes forward and admits to being in the car with her but says it wasn't Bailey that they saw by the bridge or that they didn't see anyone by the bridge.

Everything about the situation with her is just odd.

The Netflix show couldn't even really keep itself straight on this issue with her. The narrative is that everyone in the area knows each other. Everyone except MF and IB it seems as she knows she saw a strange man but needs to be nudged into saying it was IB.

Of course it's just a probable, that Maria Farrell was at home tucked up in bed.

Attention seeker.. Ambulance chaser.. nut case... Take you're pick.

I too suspect she may have been in bed that night. I think the gardaí may have suspected this also. She is just a sideshow now, but at the time she served a purpose. When Jules Thomas was confronted with the reality that there was a witness who put Bailey at Kealfada Bridge, she changed her story and the truth came spilling out. He wasn`t in bed all night, he got up not long after they got home from the pub and the little sojourn on Hunts Hill. And it didn`t stop there.....

"The two of us then went home and there was very little said except some words to the effect that he was going over later or sometime, if I wanted to go, and I said I was too tired. I got the impression that he was going over to Alfie`s but I wasn`t sure if it was that night or not"

Bailey was told that Jules was changing her story and he became a bit more forthcoming...

"Some time after going to bed, I got up. I did a bit of writing in the kitchen. I then went down to the studio, I am not sure what time it was, but it was dark"

She didn`t see him again until the morning....

" I saw a scratch on his forehead. I am sure and I have no recollection of seeing this scratch on his forehead on the Sunday. The scratch was raw and I asked him what happened as it was fresh and a bit bloodied and he said he got it from a stick."

I'd say that's honesty on Bailey's behalf.

I mean, Bailey could have maintained that he slept all night in bed with Jules, never having left the room and the Guards could never have proved anything other than that, - his DNA wasn't at the crime scene anyway. Jules couldn't have said anything else, she was asleep as well.

So why bother telling corrupt Guards the story of having been to the Studio?

And any kind of deadline, he could have written that paper hastily in the morning as well.

"So why bother telling corrupt Guards the story of having been to the Studio?"

Because he knew that one of Jules`s daughters came home later that night and didn`t see him in the kitchen writing his article.

• Advertisement

Fair point. However he could have stated, having gone to the studio at 6am or so, as well. Nobody could ever have proven otherwise and the daughters were hardly up at 5 or 6am, - or maybe they were.

He could have said the moon was made of cheese. A number of contributors here would agree that it must be true and list reasons why we should accept it as fact.

I don't think it matters what "a number of contributors agree or think" and that's precisely the problem.

To date we've not nothing at all, not even a motive - no evidence putting anybody at the scene of the crime for a conviction, or a conviction beyond reasonable doubt.

The rest is just speculation.

What we have is a witness who lied, a witness who was coerced, a corrupt and incompetent police, a questionable court in France, and a killer who's gotten clean away.

The only thing I could say with utter certainty is that the killing was about Sophie, something she did, was about to do, or resisted to do, - whatever that something was and the killer wanting this something to stop from happening.

There were no similar murders in the area, suggesting it wasn't a serial killing also, I would also rule out a random killing.

I assume one the posters you are talking about here is me. I will tell you where I stand - I believe there is a small chance Bailey could be guilty. I also believe there were alot of other characters in West Cork and a husband in France who should have been investigated but were not for some unknown reason. When you look at motive Bailey is actually least likely. I cant see how the drunk fool could have left no evidence, how he could have cleaned himself and composed himself to be back at the murder scene the next morning. He lived with a houseful of people that Christmas who noticed nothing unusual.

Just because Bailey was on the Airhill Rd 24 hrs before the murder, left the bed he shared with Jules on the night of the murder and had scratches on his hand does not mean he is a murderer though. You seem happy to convict him of murder just on these 3 pieces of information alone.

If he is an innocent man his life has been ruined by this - he very well could be another victim in this case.

I see it the same way. I would never exclude Bailey, however, for the reasons you have mentioned, I find it unlikely as well, but not impossible.

Theoretically yes, he could have, suppose he was lucky, the Guards never really collected any DNA, him knowing that, risking volunteering DNA samples as a first, also using his studio as something like a "cut out", taking a shower there, cleaning up, putting on fresh clothes, burning the incriminating ones, and handing in an article for the paper, which he had written days earlier.

I also think Bailey's motive is very very low, there was no business or other financial connection to Sophie who was visiting her house very rarely anyway.

As I have written, the murder was with utter certainty about Sophie, and stopping Sophie as she wanted to do something the killer profoundly disagreed with and wanted to prevent this from happening. Since Sophie was rarely at her house the killer must have known that she was there, thus it must have been planned rather than unplanned. Or at least the visiting her must have been planned and the intentions the killer had, to prevent Sophie from doing something would also be a consideration that the murder was planned.

I couldn't think of anything that could have motivated Bailey to take that long hike and that under the influence of alcohol. I also don't think that Bailey considered sex with Sophie, he had Jules.

I still think it's more probable, it was either drug related and maybe a coerced Alfie doing the job, or the husband sending a killer who made the scene look as an unprofessional rage, or something sexual, like the Guard from Bantry, or some lover or ex-lover from France or some casual lover turned crazy and violent beyond control.

I would clearly rule out a neighbourhood dispute over the property, whether the gates were open or closed, or about a bottle of French wine.

"I also believe there were a lot of other characters in West Cork and a husband in France who should have been investigated but were not for some unknown reason."

Who told you they weren`t investigated?

"I can`t see how the drunk fool could have left no evidence, how he could have cleaned himself and composed himself to be back at the murder scene the next morning."

Well I can and there are a couple of possibilities. The motive would have been rejection. Reject a narcissist at your peril. In the case of a non-violent narcissist you will make an enemy for life who will forever stare daggers at you and bitch about you behind your back. But reject a violent narcissist and you will be under physical threat.

If he did it, there are two scenarios. He saw her that Saturday and knew she was home. He went over there, she rejected him, he lost the plot but got lucky with forensics. The later clean up would have been straightforward. He took care of that at the studio. The other scenario sees him approach her in the village, she rejected him, maybe rejected his poetry, he was bent on revenge and got his opportunity two nights later. Pre-meditated and prepared not to leave a trace of himself at the scene. A lot of his thought processes were betrayed under the influence of alcohol by the drive up Hunts Hill, the longing to go over to Alfie`s, the premonition. Similarly afterwards the confessions came when drink was taken. It`s not rocket science.

"no evidence putting anybody at the scene"

You see I read this and I think what planet are you actually on? Don`t his confessions put him at the scene? Didn`t Jules go to sleep that night thinking he wanted to go over there?...."I got the impression he was going over to Alfie`s".

Irrespective if it was sexual rejection or some other form of rejection, the problem I keep seeing with "the Bailey and rejection theory" is that the time frame for that would have been very very short and time in-between rather long. Sophie would have been at her house only for a very short time in any given year. I also don't know if Bailey even knew when she was there, maybe only found out by accident how often she visited her house?

What would Bailey make wanting to wait for, suppose, 6 to 8 months, to meet a woman and demand something, possibly something sexual, to get rejected?

Or was there some other connection between Bailey and Sophie we don't know of? A job? A freelance contract? Him doing some artistic work for her? and that not happening?

I meant no DNA, no fingerprints in terms of evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,846 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

His (non) confessions put him at the scene? But what, aren't evidence of murder??? What planet are you on?

Mentioning you might go somewhere is not evidence putting you at the scene.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

The Gardai were apparently not allowed investigate the French side. The neighbours were ruled out straight away without investigation it seems. Marie Farrells invisible man has never been questioned or found. There seems to have been a blind eye shown to local drug dealers that Sophie made complaints about. A travel agent in Galway said a french guy came into his office to book flights - he told him he had come from cork and was agitated - He reported this but apparently the Gardai never followed up. A son of a local prominent family legged it abroad days after the murder and allegedly has never returned home since. It would appear that the Gardai made up their minds that it was the irritating English drunk and never bothered investigating anyone else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement