Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

48 have CUT the €7.99 monthly call minutes & texts, IN HALF, from 10,000 each to just 5,000 each.

• 04-09-2022 1:12pm

It's less than 2 years into this 'Lifetime Membership' of 10,000 monthly call minutes and 10,000 monthly texts, for €7.99 'For ever and ever', launched in late 2020, by Ireland phone company 48.ie.

However, already 48.ie have cut these to just 5,000 call minutes per month and just 5,000 texts per month, as of early August 2022.

This is 48 going against their word, because this was supposed to be a 'Lifetime Membership' with advertised 'Fair Usage' limits of 100GB data, 10,000 texts and 10,000 call minutes per month, for life.

They seem to think they can cut the plan to mayby just 1 call minute and 1 text and 1 megabyte of data per month, eventually, if they want to. Mayby they will increase the price soon too.

48 are currently advertising a new €12.99 plan with all data, texts and call minutes 'Forever and Ever'. However the fair usage limits on this new plan are currently also just 5,000 of each. I don't know if anyone bought into this plan at a higher fair usage limit than 5,000 calls and texts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thebo

I'd assume the lifetime is for the 7.99 price which they could add or change features while keeping the price.

Although who uses 10000 texts in a month anyways so reducing that won't make much difference.

If they reduced the data then that would be a different matter

Personally, if or when 48 would reduce the data, that would impact me much quicker than them reducing minutes or texts.

But if they think they can cut the minutes in half, then they will cut the data also, and increase the price, if they feel like it.

It was ALL supposed to be for life, not just the price.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thebo

What does their terms and conditions say?

Prob fine print somewhere about what they can change

The TV ad was run extensively, and said it was a lifetime membership for €7.99 monthly for life, and all data, minutes and texts. The fine print said a fair usage limit of 100gb data, and 10,000 minutes and texts monthly for life.

Maybe there was or wasn't smaller fine print that said they can change things, though.

But the situation becomes dishonest, when a member of the public needs to be a lawyer.

I just wanted to see if other lifetime members feel lied to or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

For life is a bit of a conundrum, you expect that you'll get top notch service for same initial price. But suddenly reception gets poor, data speeds go down or no new tech eg 5G. I wouldn't feel lied to as such, more enjoy the rodeo while it lasts and move onto next one then.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

realistically , who is going to go over 5000 texts and minutes though ?

I have already said that 48 seem to think that they can reduce data to 1mb per month, and reduce calls and texts to 1 of each per month, at any time. I'm getting tired of having to repeat myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Youre right, they can. But they won't unless they want people to leave. If they want people to leave, they have many means but they will suffer reputational damage.

This change you've stated won't affect any of us in reality. There's some reason for it, prob some customers taking the Mick. But honestly sounds like you're cutting off your nose to spite your face here but that's your decision.

I understand your comment about me cutting off my nose to spite my face. If 48 cut the 100gb data, that would affect me immediatly.

Because of 48's attitude, I just wanted to join GoMo before they increase the price above €15. GoMo have twice already increased the price from the €10 starting price (But just for new customers). The latest price increase was 18 months ago (Before inflation became a problem).

Other than that reason, I would have stayed on 48's €7.99 plan until 48 brought in new changes that actually would have affected me.

Obviously, I don't even use 5,000 minutes or texts monthly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement