Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting articles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

The navy needs a couple of corvettes with ASW capability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Because the Irish Defence Forces didn't see it, because they cannot see it.

Can't bollock an Ambassador with absolutely zero proof, other than a mobile phone camera on a beach.

Dohvolle is probably right, but optical illusion or not, its some sort of large vessel and the profile looks military, not merchant.

In any event, these 295s cannot go into operation quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The article below I think was really written by the GOC the Defence Forces

https://villagemagazine.ie/the-state-is-abdicating-responsibility-for-national-defence-by-gerard-humphreys/

I wouldn't think Clancy would be putting his hand up to claim such a poor article as his own.

I know its a periodical rather than a newspaper, but even still, it rambled and examined the irrelevant.

• Advertisement

In basic terms, no. But the article made zero references to the CoD and decisions already made for significant expansion of numbers and kit. It is at least his responsibility to inform people who know nothing about it, and I'd suggest many 'Village' readers could fit that description.

I think he's also wrong about the necessity for Coastguard aviation to be a DF function too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,510 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

By listing three alternative scenarios, the Commission has perhaps inadvertently created the impression that any of the three Levels would be an equally valid choice.

Only among the terminally stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭sparky42

Well we are talking about defence matters to Irish voters and politicians… Always bet on stupid.

I did indeed miss that bit on the basis of TLDR or TBDR.

• Advertisement

Surprised nowt on the DF twitter page about this exercise. Would be interesting to see which LE was part of the task force and a bit of detail about the Air Corps activities. IE. Did they use the P12's.

Jonny your getting your PCs mixed up it’s the PC9 that’s used now for Martime Missions that’s why they got the extra fuel tanks!!

Weird. I thought them PC12s were carrying some fairly up to date ISTAR equipment on board, useful surely....I mean it's not likely to turn into a shooting match is it?

Single engine prop operations over the ocean are too risky and the range of the PC12 is less than half of even the current CASAs. They are an overland and coastal ISTAR asset, at best.

Also, it wasn't a 'Task Force', it was a Royal Navy / NATO squadron of Frigates with long range surveillance aircraft covering the top, and there might have been an Irish ship larking about in the general area too - probably with a Russian SSN cruising underneath her hull, using her as camouflage against the NATO detection assets.

Hmm. Wonder if the PC12s can accommodate drop tanks? Imagine they can.

Jesus wept.

No need to throw your toys out of your pram. We're not all experts like you!

You don't even try. You just talk shyte. Like a troll.

We all know Jonny is actually an Assistant Secretary in the DOD just having a laugh between his tea breaks

On the contrary. I'm a retired admiral in the Swiss navy!

• Advertisement

Ya know...I think that poor divil has a bit of an exaggerated sense of his own importance. No sense of humour and completely dismissive of anyone who has a bit of a different opinion. God love him. Sure he probably wishes he was a general!

Oh Deer Looks like 112 may have to keep flying south for another while

we could see the HSE panic yet and end up with a139 in kilworth

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2022/0906/1320961-hse-helicopter-contract/

I wasn't aware that you had contributed any Pearls of wisdom to this discussion....

State of the Art Radar System! Are primary radars off the shelf or is there a lead In time like our recent aircraft purchases?

https://www.thesun.ie/news/9384410/budget-simon-coveney-defence-forces-cost-of-living/

Nothing like that is sitting on a shelf waiting for customers, but there are obviously well proven systems available from active manufacturers, subject to parameter surveys which are probably either underway or done.

The lead time will depend on orders on hand and supply chain of components, which are well known to be troublesome in the electronics sector just now, so how long is a piece of string really.

Whether it would be worth while getting in tactical mobile units from our partners in Europe to fill the gap in the meantime is debatable but it must surely be a live issue for the DoD and DF.

I'd presume they would be co located with many the IAAs stations at Mount Gabierl and Malin as the main infrastructure is already in place. Planning would probably come under Part 8

No, Part 8 is a particular classification of project to be delivered by a County Council itself for municipal purposes.

If I understand it correctly, Section 30 (a) of the Defence Act exempts the Minister for Defence from needing planning permission for pretty much all defence installations and other Sections cover compulsory acquisition of lands for defence needs.

However, if as suggested, primary military radar will end up joining existing civil installation sites, I think a hybrid of regular planning permission and Aviation legislation provisions will cover it.

I see on the DF facebook page more amercians over with the army this time teaching Javlin tactics. Seams to be a lot of co op lately

• Advertisement

With the serve the Taoiseach gave the Russians at the UN last night, its probably no harm!

Advertisement