Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Because Germany outsourced a massive amount of their energy requirements to Russia to look green, and lots of the EU followed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Ironically, shutting down their nuclear programme is probably the most un-green thing Germany could have done. Royally screwed them and the rest of northern Europe over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Damien360

A few week back I posted a letter in this thread from Patricia Ryan SF TD for Kildare in response to the homes getting built in Newbridge for Ukraine. Letterhead was her office and SF. SF’s policy was stated in that letter to support the government in this plan to house Ukraine people. If you are thinking that a SF government is going to change tack and support the second class paddy, you are sorely mistaken. They will definitely have lost a core vote in Newbridge in that effected area due to this. I can see a rainbow government crap full of independent’s for the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well not entirely, Germany were forced to go renewable, doubling from 25% to 50%, it's actually beyond impressive, typical German. But of course being 65% reliant on Russia for gas was a problem. Although that's down to 40% now, or zero really since the pipe was turned off.

What is ironic though is that the German populations dislike of nuclear is not so much green policy, it's they are terrified the stations will be weaponised if war breaks out in Europe.

I can't see them changing their mind on that one given what's going on in Zaporizhzhia.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

Incredible to think the level of denial here.

But having said that that is not surprising the same defenders of the earth were defending government restrictions/lockdown policies, climate change initiatives and now this disaster! Not to mention the energy crisis where we have Ryan and media preaching to people to cut down on energy and stupid recommendations! 3 years of being spoken down to like children with waffle and nonsense.

All the while:

Health crisis worsens and we are taking in an uncapped amount of refugees which will lead to increased demand on an already stretched health service not to mention if Covid/flu kicks off in winter! Oh no but plant a few seeds on your south facing window, don`t pass the gravy boat and keep the windows open!

Accommodation crisis worsens and we are taking in an uncapped amount of refugees, (with construction closed at times during Covid!) so much so we cannot accommodate asylum seekers and they are sleeping on the streets. https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0906/1320970-asylum-seekers-ireland/

Energy crisis worsens and we are taking in an uncapped amount of refugees (who will not be watching energy usage like we are being told to and paying through the nose for it!) which will lead to increased demand on an already stretched energy resources! No but don`t use electricity at peak times, turn off this and that from Ryan! The likes of the bulls**t below is infuriating!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/shock-and-awe-of-huge-energy-bills-will-frighten-families-into-curbing-energy-use-government-expects-41967833.html

How in the name of all that’s holy can one with a straight face defend this insanity at this stage! In typical fashion those that question these policies are climate change deniers, granny killers, xenophobes, racists etc while our country goes down the tubes.

Yes 100% refugees are not the problem, yes there is Covid, yes there is climate change  and we need to address these but not at the continual willful destruction of the economy, resources and services of our own country that our detached government seem to happy to engage in so they can look good, get cushy jobs in Europe and all while others in this country making millions from it. There has to be a limit and we have gone way beyond it. In years to come, in Ireland, typical fashion probably some kind of enquiry when it is too late and `but sure we didn`t know this would happen`!

Its one of the things I despise of us as a race is our willful tolerance of anything i.e. catholic church nonsense, covid lockdown restrictions, mass climate change hysteria now, this crisis and the energy crisis.

We have the same shower running (I should say ruining) the country through all this the last 3 years! No to spare Gas capacity, yes buy electric cars but we won`t be able to charge them! Idiotic policies the lot!

The usual mass hysteria nodding along no matter what they say. When do we actually say STOP!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

As an example, I had a quick look at this. So she first landed in Poland but then decided to move to Ireland despite having lived in numerous other cities around europe (Paris, Barcelona, London) where she would have conenctions.

Then if you take a look at her instagram, it spoke about going back to the Ukraine to do some modelling camp. https://www.instagram.com/p/CgDF8tfN8Gv/?hl=en

How is this not ripping the piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That's a lot of work you've done to try and discredit her.

Perhaps if you had spent more time on what she said in the article you would have noticed that she states that by choosing Ireland she wouldn't have had to learn a new language (London wouldn't have been an option unless she already had relatives there).

She's working in a care home - hardly the poster girl for "ripping the piss".

Epic rant. I think you actually achieved a full house there.

But if the past 6 months have thought us anything is that embracing proper renewable energy tech and becoming more energy self sufficient is good for our economy, lives and well being whether you give a fúck about polar bears or not.

Hopefully the loons on all sides are ignored and we push on with even more ambitious plans going forward.

I follow this thread and patronising replies such as `Epic rant. I think you actually achieved a full house there` boil my p*ss! You were the same during Covid. This government can do no wrong! Engage properly and argue the points made or ignore and move on!

`More ambitious plans` are you actually serious!

We have a completely rudderless government given to mass hysteria yet again crucifying the Irish people with ridiculous myopic policies to appear to be meeting some target and look good internationally even though said policies do f**k all globally, will do more harm than good here in the long term, worse still when you have the likes of China and India who `don`t give a **** about polar bears`!

Renewable energy tech etc I have no doubt is good but don`t crucify your own citizens in trying to introduce it while there is an energy crisis, inflation effects from myopic covid policies and a refugee crisis rolled into one!. As I have said the level of detachment from those in government is baffling!

I shouldn`t have to argue this. A bit of cop on is all I ask from those in power!

Calm down. I have no idea what you are trying to convey.

A good chunk of the energy market has been taken off grid because of Soviet expansion in Europe.

I don't see how that is our governments fault, but again it comes back to not being overly dependent on external markets.

Anyway way off topic, this thread is for inventing stories about Ukrainians.

• Advertisement

It's a lot of work to read a news article (that was posted by someone else) and flick open instagram for a minute?

Can you answer these two questions please, maybe I just don't understand and am willing to put my hands up if I'm in the wrong:

1) Prior to the war she was able to live, according to the article that I did in fact read, in Paris & Barcelona. Why was language not a complication for her before?

2) As for her working in a care home, fair play to her, genuinely. It's great that she was able to find work as a refugee. But as a refugee, do you not find it strange that she would go back to the country she's afraid of living in due to the war, to attend some Modelling camp?

I am calm but I have a low tolerance for patronising statements.

Agreed never said it was governments fault that putin decided to turn off the gas, it was obvious that was going to happen as no one cannot trust that man.

Yet again its this governments singular at all costs response I have an issue which has happened repeatedly in their tenure.

Anyhow back to this thread its the same. No issue with refugees, its the box ticking all costs response of this crowd that irks me that we will all pay for! I despise their response because it has zero negatives consequences for them as they are detached from the issues and reality on the ground!

Surely there has to be a cut off point until our own house is in order.

3 major crises, the same type of response! Indefensible to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I can certainly give you my opinions (which is basically what the answers to your questions would be since I don't know anything about that lady beyond that article) but there's not much point in me doing that. That's because you clearly believe the worst things about this person and her intentions and nothing I say is going to change that mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That said recent polls suggest the vast majority want to return home, but not yet, and TBH if I had got my family out I wouldn't be eager to call them back not with the lunatic in the Kremlin getting increasingly more desperate.

The vast majority have already returned.

Over 8.8 million have come to Europe to flee the war, while over 6 million have gone back. That is a huge majority.

Many countries have a 'return assistance' program running since July, with some of them offering cash to refugees to go back. It is unlikely that they would be doing that if they thought it was overly dangerous for them.

Does anyone know what Ireland's return assistance program is called, or even if we have one?

Why are we offering so much, above and beyond what is called for? I am open to correction here, but I am pretty sure Ireland is by far the most generous country in Europe, not just the EU when it comes to benefits for them, why is this the case also?

Personally, I think the only way that anything will be done, and we will get any answers (albeit BS answers), is to make a load of noise, because it is very apparent that media are either being silenced or are choosing to stay silent on this, either way, it will continue to get worse as long as people are not being made aware of what is happening in these pockets around the country.

I am open to correction here, but I am pretty sure Ireland is by far the most generous country in Europe

That would be Switzerland, no? The one your Refugee left to come here and get less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Switzerland offers nowhere near what Ireland does. Of course, that would be the part you pick out of the whole post though.

Switzerland has a very strict means test that reaches to their Ukrainian workplace, property owned and their bank accounts, with the maximum amount the lowest income refugees can get being around €370 ish per week. That is to help pay for their rent, electricity, food and other bills. It also stops after a few months for review. It also wouldn't get them EU citizenship.

Ireland gives €208+ per week, depending on how many kids they have, they will get more, allows part time work without loss of benefits, free accommodation, free food, zero bills, and has no signs of stopping.

I am positive I know which one is the better option there.

Well that is how a discussion works, someone makes a statement and someone else adds to it, refutes it etc. I don't believe the worst things about a person, I just said genuinely it's great that she's taking up work looking after the elderly.

My entire post was that what she was doing was a bit of a pisstake - leaving her country because she was afraid (due to a war), landing in a safe country (Poland), moving to Ireland (despite having previously lived in Barcelona, Paris & London) and then returning to her country for a (paid?) gig at a Model camp, when she is meant to be here (or any safe country) because she's afraid to live at home. Is this not kind of ripping the piss?

I am asking you, what exactly am I missing? Where am I wrong with the above statement? I am 100% open to changing my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Your not wrong in your opinion. She is clearly taking the piss. Maybe model's are exempt from missiles that are apparently landing on every inch of Ukraine at a giving moment. Zelinski was in Vouge and he's still lording it in Kiev so I guess model's are safe.

On the basis that you're being genuine about being open to changing your opinion, then:

My entire post was that what she was doing was a bit of a pisstake

leaving her country because she was afraid (due to a war)

What is a "pisstake" about leaving her country because she was afraid?

landing in a safe country (Poland), moving to Ireland (despite having previously lived in Barcelona, Paris & London) 

So you flee in a hurry, because suddenly your country is being invaded (and end up in Poland). You're in a safe country and you can take stock. Given there's every likelihood you won't be able to return for some months to a year or two, why wouldn't you consider where would be best for you to spend that time?

This woman has English, so decided Ireland was an option. Others decide on other countries. It is perfectly fine and permitted to move from one EU country to another. No pisstake to be seen.

then returning to her country for a (paid?) gig at a Model camp

It appears to be for a week at the end of next month. I'd imagine she's going to do a risk assessment and will see what the situation is like in a month's time. Certainly, European leaders have been heading to Kyiv recently, and this hotel appears to be in a relatively safe location - in the Carpathian mountains, near Romania, almost directly south of Lviv. So feck all danger of invading troops at short notice. Still some danger from rockets or missiles, because they've been doing that all over Ukraine. You probably accept that, or you wouldn't think she was taking the piss.

Would I head there? No. Should she head there? I'd also say no. Is it taking the piss? I don't really think so. Her money, she's taking the risk, and it's for a week. I imagine she's wondering and weighing up should she completely put her life and career on hold, or try to at least keep her plans going.

The Russians don't seem to have attacked anywhere near EU borders in quite a while. And it's not like she's returning to her home town of Mykolaiv, which has been blown to ****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4EYl4uZZc

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Sinn Féin are an ex nationalist party IMO. They used to be an Ireland For The Irish party, but now they are the exact opposite. This just hasn't filtered down to their core support, who ironically are among the ones who have the most to lose in the race for resources diverted to asylum seekers/refugees/migrants or whoever else you're having.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement

1) "What is a "pisstake" about leaving her country because she was afraid?" - Come on, you know well that I did not say her leaving her wartorn country was a pisstake.

2) Fair point on taking stock in the country and contemplating your options.

3) If someone leaves their country because they are afraid of the war, I would understand going back to check in on family or friends, especially those that are vulnerable. I'd also understand going back to collect something of importance to you, eg birth certs / photo's etc. But I do think that going back to a country you have left due to war, to do some modelling camp is ripping the piss and would make me think twice about the sincerity of someone's reasons to flee in the first place.

make me think twice about the sincerity of someone's reasons to flee in the first place.

She's from Mykolaiv. Did you not watch the Sky News video?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Irish taxpayers arent here to fund foreign folks free accommodation, food, social welfare and at the same time give them a free and open work permit (other legal non EU immigrants have to pass thru lots of hoops and pay 300 euro and wait months ) that they can then take off gallovanting around Europe as they please.

It costs us 130 Euro a day for many hotel fees alone.

You either need 'protection' or not. There's some of her fellow citizens in tents. There's African asylum seekers on the street!

Fine , go get a full time job and look after yourself why are we paying for this?

Also how do you know its a 'week' that she is gone.

The €130 a day is Dublin rates and for one occupant. Extra occupants cost something like €25 each, so a family of 3 would be €180 and not €390.

Other hotels outside Dublin get a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

1260 a week 🤨 Disgraceful amount of money. Send them home

I thought we were stopping taking in refugees from other countries for the time being, under that directive!?

The future of this country is so dire at this stage. There won't be an empty rock or bog left at this rate. Is it standing room only the government want!

Communities biting back and rightly so...

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2022/0907/1321205-ballyvaughan-refugees/

Okay - you're not trying to have a discussion here, you're just picking out a few words here and there to suit your own agenda.

Take it easy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Following discussion with the user, CeCe12 threadban lifted

When is someone going to challenge this utter clown o Gorman on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Someone like Mattie mcGrath imv will fire a few shots into the air next week as a teaser

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement