Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Sinn Fein fix the housing crisis or is it beyond them or anybody else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Why? it won't matter what we do people will still find something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Sinn féin are not more capable than Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael, the problem is lack of resources, inflation, supply chain crisis, any government will find it hard to build a signicant no of houses, we have a limited work force, in the building industry, we need 20k housing units built per year, we can maybe build a few 1000, and the cost of building go, s up every year

Last year the cost of building materials went up by 35 per cent. Meanwhile there's 1000s of empty rooms above shops, the rules about renting out old units over retail are so complex most people don't bother. No matter who gets elected they face the same problems, inflation, lack of resources. It takes years to build houses, theres no easy solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its funny how the shinners bladder on about how they will build all these houses if they are in power but never mention that there isn't the workers to actually put them up.

But sure it sounds great and its a vote catcher for the next GE.

Posted this on other thread, we probably don’t have the capacity to build much more

Based on the number of people unemployed.

I did hear a podcast from developer with idea of how to speed up housing but I seen an over the top reactiom to it

#HousingForAll is one year old and it's making good progress.

Since the middle of 2021, almost 54,000 new homes have been either built (25,000) or commenced (28,450).

The number of homes purchased by Households has gone from a low of just under 25,699 in 2011 to 55,298 in 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

100%. O'Broin in the IT again pedalling the fantasy of councils ramping up to 20k units per annum.

How, where and when? Maybe he's devising a scheme of 'work for welfare' and the long term unemployed will all become brickies and plasterers. If we end up with a left wing minority government next GE the housing crisis won't be fixed by SF within a term.

People are desperate and populism might get SF in the door, their failure will get em bounced out again. This isn't norn iron, the surge in SF voters here want a change ( and not a united ireland )so when they fail to deliver they'll go the way of labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sinn Fein couldn’t fix a leaky fooking tap!

How, When, Where

well he doesn’t care because nobody will ask him those questions and if they do he won’t answer them

Its all waggle, the guys doesn’t seem to understand housing, great when shouting in the Dail from behind Mart Lou but after that it goes downhill. Oh well the odd snippet on a website which is written for him

First off SF are actively making the housing crisis worse, then the bigger problem is they don’t know how to fix it if they got elected tomorrow morning

Mary Lou came out with something before about shutting down all company construction and move the builder to houses???? Baffling she thinks that even as a Taoiseach she would have that power

Or as usual I suspect just a sound bite for the gullible to latch onto.

FF announced housing figures yesterday, they look good, hopefully what’s behind them is right and let’s get out of this mess and concentrate on fixing the HSE

I'm sure I'll be asked why weren't SF one of the options. Who is this we? By "we" do they mean everyone who voted FFG, certainly not me, I didn't vote for either of them this time

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1566348694873587713

• Registered Users Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

While SF can be directly blamed for housing in the North, I don't think they can be directly blamed for issues in the south (or they likely wouldn't get any % blaming them in a poll). Not enough people look at DCC or their blocking of permissions.

O'Broin's column was exactly as expected, move the deckchairs around while not doing anything to get the number of builds and completions up (while walking face first into the disaster of council-led building again).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

SF, alliance, unionism and Westminster can be blamed about issues in the north - not comparable at all to the republic's government setup. Don let facts get in your way though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

But who’s buying and living in all these houses???

Its certainly not Irish nurses or gards or average Irish workers.

Nurses from the country are asking for rooms to rent in family houses in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

The housing crises is by design. It is the one great success of FFG.

Could SF solve it? well it depends on whether or not they are complicit.

People, the numbers are available and the majority are bought by people to live in

If they are been bought by people to rent out then great because we need more rentals for the Irish worker. But at the moment the majority are bought to live in 👍️

Don't forget SF helped to create it and are currently the main party trying to make it worse.

based on what they done in DCC when they took over to "build houses" and ended up with 1300 less units after 5 years and the performance in Northern Ireland, SF haven't a clue how to fix it. They know how to make it worse, that is for certain.

Oh so now the Alliance are at fault as well, their gains in the last election seems to have got them jumping to the blame category

SF currently run housing, but it is everyone elses fault in Northern Ireland.

Seems the answer always ends up with SF not been at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So you are saying that SF are ineffective at persuading coalition partners to deliver change. Not a good example, is it?

The facts are that SF have been in government in the North for decades now and have failed to deliver one single change. Says a lot about them.

FYI

We can expect a SF government in the South to take brave new initiatives on wood pellets and Irish language rights and sit on their hands for everything else.

Ahh I deleted because it was off topic.

To be honest their record in housing in North is enough to tell everyone what they are like without pointing out all the other issues.

That's before we even start about DCC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Sinn fein is likely to be part of coalition government it's likely that it will need the agreement of other government partners to do anything, and thus at a time when we face rising energy costs and inflation and yearly threats from climate change

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the third biggest party in the executive - they are as at fault as anyone else. the real culprit is the one who controls the purse strings (and we all know who that is)

its not SFs job to persuade 'coalition partners' to do anything. Then again sure dont be worrying - you keep telling us every year how SF's vote is decreasing in the Republic 🤣

Ok we get it, it's never SF fault. Ok no need to repeat ad nauseam

I never said SF vote is decreasing, I did point out that an opinion poll is an opinion poll. Let's see what happens in an election.

Two years out from the last election and the opinion polls had FG ahead by a significant distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭quokula

Annual net migration is in the low tens of thousands, and it was negative for a good number of years post recession. A significant portion of the population growth you're talking about is due to Irish people having babies alongside increases in life expectancy so good luck to any party campaigning for a pause on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

When discussing a market and market prices, it is normal, indeed it is sensible, to consider all the factors that affect demand and supply in that market.

Migration affects the demand for rental accomm, that is a simple fact.

To ignore a factor affecting demand is not reasonable.

I am not a SF supporter, although I have respect for Eoin O Broin.

I believe he makes some reasonable points, and that he is well-intentioned.

What I would like to hear is specific answers to this question:

if housing output is to rise, how would SF in Govt manage to increase the number of builders/carpenters/plumbers/elec staff?

https://eoinobroin.wordpress.com/2020/04/13/my-12-point-public-housing-plan-to-kickstart-the-housing-sector-post-covid19/#more-716

Here is Eoin O Broin's plan:

If I was the housing minister, this would be my 12-step post-crisis plan:

1. Do not repeat the mistakes of the past. Do not cut capital expenditure, income or rental supports. Do not lay off local-authority housing staff or encourage construction workers to emigrate.

2. Address the rent-arrears debt burden. This can be done with a combination of rent supplement payments, mortgage moratoriums for landlords, rent reductions and waivers.

3. Dramatically increase capital spending in public housing on public land as part of a major fiscal stimulus to kickstart the economy.

4. Agree five-year regional housing plans with councils, mapping out sites and the number of homes. Provide councils with multi-annual funding paid in advance instalments rather than in arrears by project.

5. End the practice of tendering for each public housing project and initiate regional framework agreements for different-sized housing developments, increasing competition and reducing cost.

6. Reintroduce the use of architecture competitions for key public housing developments to encourage innovation and experimentation.

7. Fast-track existing and new large-scale residential developments of mixed-income social, affordable rental and affordable purchase schemes on public land.

8. Radically change the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform’s public spending code: and the Department of Housing‘s four-stage approval process should be altered to cut red tape and speed up delivery.

9. Review all recent contracts in which private consortiums are developing mixed-tenure schemes, such as O’Devaney Gardens in Dublin. Where viability problems exist, transfer these back into council control.

10. Engage with developers and contractors on viability problems in their pipeline. By agreement or under compulsory purchase order, acquire these sites at existing use value.

11. Introduce legislation to amend the lending criteria of Home Building Finance Ireland to provide low-interest loans to developers and contractors subject to genuine affordability in house prices.

12. Split the Land Development Agency into a Land Management Agency (LMA) and a Residential Development Agency (RDA). Give the LMA compulsory purchase order (CPO) powers, a budget and real political backing to aggressively manage under-utilised public lands. Mandate the agency to increase the state‘s public land holdings through acquisition of appropriately priced and located sites. Give the RDA the power and staff to work with councils to ensure that public housing developments meet the highest possible standards in urban master planning, architectural design, building control and the lowest possible levels of embedded carbon emissions.

My query is about 3 and 7, and I welcome replies from any SF supporters.

If finance isn't an issue, and planning is fast-tracked, where do SF expect the extra building staff to come from?

There are 40,000 building staff on JSA "the dole", so do SF plan to encourage these people to leave JSA and take up employment?

Or will there be massive increases in apprenticeships?

Excuses at the ready. And when they are in power here and it all goes tits up, it will be whoever they are in coalition with plus previous governments. They have been in control of South Armagh council for decades, they have the highest council tax in all of the UK.

Immigration clearly increases the need for accommodation. Only a complete moron could say otherwise.

• Advertisement

On the 12-point plan

1. Has been done already. It is also facetious to claim that construction workers were encouraged to emigrate. It is silly populism, not serious policy.
    2. Make it easy for people to get away with not paying rent? It would be better if DCC and others collected the rent owed to them and built houses with it.
    3. What public land does Eoin want to build houses on? Parks? Forests? Lakes? Schools? Hospitals? Public Transport Reservations? This has been bandied about for years, yet Eoin's SF colleagues in DCC have blocked loads of building on public land, including at St. Anne's Park and in the city centre. Where will he get the money and the staff to build this, if he can ever find land?
    4. Regional housing plans and county councils? The two bits in bold show why this is naive at best. Such an approach needs radical reform of local authorities, which is nowhere on SF's agenda. This idea fails without it.
    5. Break EU law, that's a good one.
    6. The lack of understanding of the complexity of modern architecture and planning demonstrated by this idea is quite scary. Sure, you could get some nice drawings of buildings, but not something that could be realistically implemented.
    7. Same as 3, what land, what funding, what staff?
    8. "radically change" to what? What does this mean, other than a soundbite? Throw out cost-benefit analysis?
    9. Delay existing projects, that really helps
    10. Tie existing developments up in the courts for years, another great idea.
    11. Transfer the burden of risk to the taxpayer, rather than the homeowner or the developer.
    12. Create a new quango.

Wow, blow me over.

Advertisement