Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmeath school gets temporary injunction banning a suspended teacher from it's premises

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

People stood in front of the principal, they didn't put Burke in a headlock like George Floyd. He wasn't restrained and no newspaper said that he was.

Might as well stick to the facts because there won't be any embellishment if it does go up before the Teaching Council or the WRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The parents didnt make this so public at all. Burke did.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

when other people need to stand between you and someone you are harassing then you are acting the bollix and he was rightfully suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Weird thing about science. It deems it biologicially impossible but then as soon as you go offline it starts doing it anyway. It's like telling a toddler they cant have any more sweets but then leaving a bag of them on the table.

What did the biologists say when you sent them your findings?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,728 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Does this mean if I establish "The Church of Hatin' De Quares" it's possible we could end up in a position of our courts having to adjudicate on which forms of religion-inspired hatred are "valid" and acceptable, and which ones are not?

Ludicrous position created by our legislators and outdated constitution.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

You obviously dont know a lot about the actions of his family. They acted absolutely disgracefully during an inquest into a poor young girl who died of Covid, even tho the girls family specifically asked for them not to get involved. they have been known to regularly harass hospital staff in Mayo University Hospital. They felt that murder charges should be brought against the hospital in Castlebar even tho they werent privy to the full facts. The sister, Jemima also lied to blag her way into a Covid press conference and direct some serious allegations at Tony Holohan without allowing him a chance to respond. I've seen them protest in the Market Square in Castlebar before and I'd love to challenge some of their beliefs, however I'd be afraid of my life that I'd be then targeted by them. The other siblings were also involved with some questionable activities with the finances of their Christian society in NUIG that's been well documented. So no, it's NOT unlikely that he was loud and threatening, in fact, I'd say it's quite likely.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The whole family sound ridiculously self entitled and superior.

• Advertisement

Gender (including trans) most certainly is protected in the Equal Status Acts. See 3 cases above where trans people have successfully used it.

Terry Pratchet

Speaking of fees, Enoch has to pay all legal costs for the school so far incurred, which is great news

The schools admissions policy specifically references the Equal Status Acts.

Terry Pratchet

Looks like Enoch will be getting his mail sent to Mountjoy for the foreseeable

Secondary school teacher Enoch Burke will remain in Mountjoy Prison for at least another week, after refusing to give an undertaking that he would obey a High Court order.

Lawyers for the school said Mr Burke was attempting to say the case was about his refusal to call a boy a girl. But barrister Rosemary Mallon said the case was not about transgenderism, it was about a teacher ignoring a lawful decision by his school's board of management to suspend him on pay pending the outcome of a disciplinary process.

Ms Mallon said Mr Burke was asking the court to interfere with the school's disciplinary process, something the courts should be slow to do.

Mr Burke told the court he had spent the last two nights in Mountjoy Prison which was a new experience for him. He said he had had much time to consider his actions and behaviour leading him to that place.

And he said, far from finding any instances of misconduct or gross misconduct, he had found only actions "worthy of commendation".

That last bit, he though about his actions and he thinks he's great, hilarious stuff altogether

One positive, costs have been awarded against him 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

They have protests most week about the Covid response but before that they often had protests about Gay Marriage. I'm sure they had something before that about abortion. There's a picture taht's been shared a lot of them protesting the Pride march in Castlebar a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I love that they keep using that picture of him. he looks like a right barrel of laughs.

Not polite at all when smearing LGB people with all sorts of homophobic claims about AIDS and Paedophilia.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭tinpib

If costs are awarded and he is suspended on full pay, it would be cool if his wages could go straight to paying legal fees. He prob has feck all chance to spend his wages in the Joy.

Apparently one or two (perhaps more) of the older siblings don't go along with what the parents and the rest of them get up to.

Can't be easy for them tbh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And that last part is central to everything they do.

They have an absolute belief that they are 100% correct and that "God is leading them" etc.

They have an astonishing level of confidence in their viewpoint and ability to enforce them on others.

And that unfounded confidence has been their undoing at every turn thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The Teaching Council or and the WRC are sticklers for procedure.

But that isn't exclusive to the school or the employer.

His actions post suspension will also be considered by the board of management.

As the school have acquired legal council I imagine everything will be done by the book, given this families form.

Much like his sister he will never again work in his chosen provision would be my opinion or least not for an employer.

I mean even if the teaching council cleared him to teach, who in their right mind would hire him, he would just find another cause to bother Jesus about.

I would say it's incredibly likely he won't be able to teach again. Not just due to the incident in the school but also due to ignoring the injunction. Fyi, you'd get suspended in most jobs for this kind of scenario. The fact a minor's well being is also involved and he did it in front of the school, that's just really a terrible reflection on his regard for his students.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,440 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yet they are still ‘up and running’ at every dogfight going Quinn?

One would think that having numerous serious tilts against all comers in very serious court cases year after year would not but good for one’s health or wallet?

Whos balls are this lot breaking and who is bankrolling them would be a legitimate question?

what’s their agenda?

Are they just an awkward disfunctional family of stults?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,513 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is what the Burke's were like during the marriage referendum. Going on about how did same sex couples have sex. They did similar with one of the TV debates. They aren't quiet little one's handing out leaflets.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It is deliberate because that poster has an irrational fear of pronouns.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The irony being there is 10 of them, statistically good chance one of them may be gay.

Imagine coming out to that, like a chicken walking into a pack of wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Gender and sex are NOT the same thing. Irish law uses the word Gender probably because they were too prudish to use the word sex.

Sex is the scientific part a.k.a your genotype/phenotype. Gender includes the expectations placed on your sex by the culture and norms you grow up with e.g girls like pink and have long hair.

No adult or child should be constrained by gender norms or expectations, so boys should be free to grow their hair long and wear unicorn T-shirts if that is what they wish. Gender non-conformity is very, very common and we have known such people our entire lives. The difference now is that some kids/teenagers/adults are identifying as trans because they have received the message that if you don’t behave in such as way that is expected from your sex you are transgender.

Now this is off topic from thread so I will leave it there. I think the one thing we can all agree on is that Mr Burke only cares about his personal beliefs and not about the actual young people who are struggling with finding their place in the world.

I don't think so. I would consider what he did verbal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can't help but think of Homer Simpson claiming his hand is stuck in the vending machine, and just before they cut his arm off, ask him if he's just holding onto the can.

He's saying "I will never leave Mountjoy prison if in leaving that prison I must violate my well informed conscience, and my religious beliefs and deny my God.", whereas the reality is he could leave prison with his "well informed conscience" intact, by agreeing not to return to the school, then go through the disciplinary process for same, and if he loses and is told he must refer to the student as per the student's request, he can choose to leave his job.

Prison is the can in the vending machine he's desperately clinging to because unlike Homer who was stupid, Burke is relying on attention and being a martyr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Judging by his latest comments he could be in the Joy indefinitely as he is taking a very hard line on religious and conscience grounds, even if there are very crossed wires on why he is in contempt.

He said the court had presented to him that he could be a Christian in Mountjoy or a Pagan respecter of transgenderism outside it, and in that case he knew where he belonged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement